PDA

View Full Version : Menu options

Richard Kimber
26-04-2013, 13:49
I see that the menu options have changed recently and that there is now a "Today's Posts" instead of something like "Recent Posts" (I can't remember the exact words).

With the previous option I assumed that I was getting all the posts since I last clicked that option, and so I assumed that I didn't miss anything.

With "Today's Posts" I assume I'll always get all the posts that are posted today, even if I've already seen them earlier in the day. And I will miss any posts that are posted after I've looked, because the following day they won't be included.

Am I right about this?

If so, isn't this a retrograde step? Can't there be a cookie-based system that ensures that we'll always see that which, and only that which, has been posted since the last visit?

- Richard.

Beechwoods
26-04-2013, 13:55
Richard, all I can see above is 'New Posts' which is what it's always been.

That said, if you can pop up a screenshot I'll look into it as it made be a Usergroup thing that I've missed, or a feature of the upgrade to vB 3.8.7 affecting certain Usergroups which can be tweaked.

Thanks!

Richard Kimber
26-04-2013, 13:56
Hmmmnn. Just as I posted that, "Today's Posts" has now gone and we have "New Posts", which was probably the old behaviour.

- Richard.

Roy S
26-04-2013, 13:56
You can look at 'Today's Posts' if you're not logged in

Richard Kimber
26-04-2013, 14:05
Richard, all I can see above is 'New Posts' which is what it's always been.

That said, if you can pop up a screenshot I'll look into it as it made be a Usergroup thing that I've missed, or a feature of the upgrade to vB 3.8.7 affecting certain Usergroups which can be tweaked.

Thanks!

I attach a screenshot.

- Richard

Beechwoods
26-04-2013, 14:07
Roy gets the rosette on this one. 'Todays Posts' is default behaviour for users who are not logged in. The system doesn't know what's 'New' for you if you're not logged in...

Thanks for spotting that Roy!

The Grand Wazoo
26-04-2013, 14:08
Roy is correct you need to be logged in to get the New Posts option. Otherwise it's today's posts - you get everything that's been posted regardless of whether you've looked at it or not.

EDIT: Like Nick said!!

Richard Kimber
26-04-2013, 14:10
You can look at 'Today's Posts' if you're not logged in

Ah, I see. Thanks. Not that I ever logged out, but I suppose I was when the site went down. That accounts for it. I stupidly hadn't realised I wasn't logged in. Sorry for the trouble.

- Richard.

Beechwoods
26-04-2013, 14:28
No problem!

Mark Grant
29-04-2013, 12:51
There is something that happens when following old links that have the www at the beginning.

try the link within this forum post for example
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=439388&postcount=210

The link in Johns post goes to a thread on www. so cookie not valid if logged into to the site without the www at the beginning of url if that makes any sense.
I guess something wants tweaking.

click this link and you are logged back in gain.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/index.php

this one youre not:
http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/index.php

Maybe this is also to do with the 'false positives' that keep getting mentioned as if any software is checking the links within the site some look like they go to another site when its the same site, one with www. one without.

Hope that helps.

Beechwoods
29-04-2013, 18:06
Mark,

Thanks for your thoughts... this cookie behaviour is standard for vBulletin. You can make it go away by logging in to both the www. and non-www. domains. The www. domain exists for compatibility when people assume that every domain out there has a www. prefix.

It's an interesting suggestion though that this might be triggering those false-positives. But it is the way the forum has always worked so I don't know why it would be causing a problem now...