PDA

View Full Version : Tripe LP Re-issues

Rare Bird
24-04-2013, 18:13
I know i moan a lot about this but i am totally dissatisfied with a large percentge of re-issues these days. Wavey Vinyl, pathetic label designs, cover art looks like it's been enlarged from a smaller CD artwork, horrible cover laminate, general too bulky covers etc etc..

Where has the art of producng an LP gone? Don't get me wrong i have bought a few really good ones but it is a few aswell!

Take the laminating of covers, i took the best cellulose laminate finish from a late 60's LP, compared it to one of the best re-issue laminated covers i have on the Klimt label, & i can tell no difference it's that good. Even the sleeve construction is brilliant & accuratly well proportioned.. So you know it can be done high quality loike..

The latest Beatles Vinyl re-issued a fine example of how Sleeve construction, Laminating, Pressing, sound & labels can be produced to the highest quality..

However i'm increasingly getting very browned off spending £20-25 for crap re-issues tbh.. If they are more expensive i'm happy as long as every process is of the highest quality!

Anyone else get dissapointed?

Haselsh1
24-04-2013, 18:25
Yeah I agree. Some of the new vinyl is dreadfully poor in presentation and the quality control is almost non existant.

Thing Fish
24-04-2013, 18:29
Recently bought some expensive Jazz reissues from Analogue productions and the covers are fantastic but as you say some of the cheaper reissues are dire to say the least.

I like you would rather pay more for a top class reproduction.

By the way I picked up a minty original Brain salad surgery the other day for £6 and played it twice back to back today. Now there's a class cover..:)

Haselsh1
24-04-2013, 18:36
Recently bought some expensive Jazz reissues from Analogue productions and the covers are fantastic but as you say some of the cheaper reissues are dire to say the least.

I like you would rather pay more for a top class reproduction.

By the way I picked up a minty original Brain salad surgery the other day for £6 and played it twice back to back today. Now there's a class cover..:)

Hey got a Brain Salad Surgery which is thirteen years old and still sealed. I shall open it and play it at some point but, like a thirty year old Ardbeg, I intend to pick my moment.

Haselsh1
24-04-2013, 18:38
I made the mistake of buying 'Blue Chip' by Acoustic Alchemy on vinyl and it is so warped it is unplayable. Unfortunately it was through a third party on Amazon. I gave dreadful feedback but it made no difference.

prestonchipfryer
24-04-2013, 19:01
Agreed, much of the new lp vinyl is very disappointing.

But recently got Sinatra Live at Sands, Mobile Fidelity. 40 odd quid :eek: for a double album but flat discs and superb recording.

Rare Bird
24-04-2013, 19:22

One of the best covers ever imho.. I call these fanni-flap covers :lol: (Dr.z 'Three Parts To My Soul', Hawkwind 'In Search Of Space' etc) ..

Rare Bird
24-04-2013, 19:29
Because my complete record collection was once completely made up of rare & valuable 1st issues, i maybe expect too much from re-issues these days!

I can fully understand why some people insist on a 1st issue, i would if i could afford them & more tricky put up with years of ware & tare on the cover!!

Audioman
24-04-2013, 19:34
There are a lot of very good reproductions. Both Analogue productions and before them the defunct Classic Records do/did superb covers (Stoughton Printing in USA). Add to that the current Mo-Fi (if you can ignore the custom labels) and Speakers Corner.

Other than the premium labels I was impressed by Snapper's reissue of Family's Bandstand. You would be hard pressed to tell the sleeve from the original die cut design. Others worth noting - Pink Moon box, Guerssen Hollies reissues of Butterfly and Evolution and the Beatles titles.

Was unaware Clarifoil was still in production. Rarely seen it used for the last 30 years when glossy varnish mostly replaced it. The new Beatles reissues look like a high quality varnish rather than laminate. I would also like to see the use of flip back sleeves for old titles were this type of construction was used on the originals.

Rare Bird
24-04-2013, 20:18
Guerssen Hollies reissues of Butterfly and Evolution.

I have those Hollies titles yes they are good especially the 'Evolution. I have a few more on Guerssen those great too, The Julian's Treatment 'A Time Before This' is really goowd as is Salammander 'The Ten Commandments' poster sleeve.... Another pair i was happy with was the two plastic penny albums on the Sommer label.. :thumbsup:

If anyone has the PFM 'Photos Of Ghost' on Cherry Red Records could they tell me if it's a laminated G/Fold as original? Also 'The World Became The World' is that a matt Diecut sleeve with Brown Photo inner bag as original?

Rare Bird
25-04-2013, 09:42
Hey got a Brain Salad Surgery which is thirteen years old and still sealed. I shall open it and play it at some point but, like a thirty year old Ardbeg, I intend to pick my moment.

Shaun:
Ger it played man, that LP aint worth nowt & never will be imho..

Thing Fish
25-04-2013, 15:28
Can I also throw 'Music Matters' into the mix. Expensive but absolutely beautifully made reissue covers. The vinyl is top notch also...:)

Rare Bird
24-06-2013, 17:42
Recieved another two Re-Issues today, absolutly crap. Thats it from today ive pulled the plug on Re-Issues, i'll have to put up with battered second hand record covers.I'll just have to chop Three quarters of my list away as i'll never be able to afford them on old vinyl. It will save me loads of dosh i suppose..I can honestly say that out of the 200 or so vinyl re-issues ive bought this year only around 25 im happy with, that is totally discraceful imho :steam:

Thing Fish
24-06-2013, 18:20
Most of the battered covers I have don't look half bad when I slip them into a nice clear plastic cover.

I will aways look for originals before buying re-issues...:)

Rare Bird
24-06-2013, 18:30
Your right Dave I just, ten mins ago swapped mi mate my brand new 40th Anniversary 'Dark Side Of The Moon' LP for his 2nd Issue which i thought looked a bit rough, but looks ok in a plastic slip.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/DSOTM.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/DSOTM.jpg.html)

:thumbsup:

Audioman
02-07-2013, 19:34
Actually I think the 40th Anniversary runs this remarkably close. Picked up a second issue from a Cardiff retailer on Ebay about 3 or 4 yrs ago for only £20 as for some reason nobody else bid. Near as mint as poss with all inserts.

Oldpinkman
02-07-2013, 21:35
Have an original dsotm. Just received a reissue selling england by the pound. Superb. At least as good as the original.

Audioman
03-07-2013, 07:22
Recieved another two Re-Issues today, absolutly crap. Thats it from today ive pulled the plug on Re-Issues, i'll have to put up with battered second hand record covers.I'll just have to chop Three quarters of my list away as i'll never be able to afford them on old vinyl. It will save me loads of dosh i suppose..I can honestly say that out of the 200 or so vinyl re-issues ive bought this year only around 25 im happy with, that is totally discraceful imho :steam:

How many of those are 'official' reissues? There are good reissues out there but you have to be selective and research the net for comments. The problem you have is that you are after ultra rare prog which is unlikely to get an 'official' vinyl reissue. Also as far as sleeves are concerned the old printing techniques were replaced by digital years ago - though this doesn't mean you can't do it well (Stoughton in USA). Result exact replication and quality is difficult to impossible though some don't even try. Worst thing is lazy photoshopping where image fuzzy or colours way out - no excuse as can be done very close with digital.

Nothing like a pristine original. I can tolerate moderate cover wear but tatty is out especially as that usually reflects the condition of the LP inside. People who abuse sleeves invariably show little respect for the vinyl. More often a nice sleeve and knackered vinyl though - even vinyl that looks fine can be unplayable. Unfortunately acceptable copies of anything are becoming increasingly difficult to source due to ignorance or dishonesty of sellers - goes for Ebay, Discogs and Amazon in equal measures now. I now expect anything to be a grade lower than claimed at least so almost essential to stick to EX+ or near mint to stand any chance of satisfaction.

Universal are running a new service (at least they are putting feelers out), whereby they will issue limited runs of albums requested by customers (with download). I suspect they will need a lot of arm twisting to use original tapes rather than send a file over to GZ to press them. Worth a try for anything that is in their now vast catalogue having swallowed so many labels.

Paul.

Rare Bird
06-07-2013, 08:52
I've drastically changed my tune of late regarding buying only Re-Issues, i won't buy them now, infact im presently replacing all those new ones for 2nd hand ones. Ive learned to tolorate cover ware..

The thing with me is i've owned everything im wanting years ago on original 1st issues, so when i get a Re-Issue i can see & hear that is just not the same.However i will totally steer clear of 1980's issues :nono:

I'm not going to totally single Re-Issues out as some of those Unofficial Re-Issues of rare prog actually sound good & look ok & i think i would be mad to omit some of them basically cutting my nose off in the process as i could never afford to buy a 1st issue. I would never pay more than £40 for a second hand Record..

Audioman
06-07-2013, 09:25
Andre.

Yes I agree there are some 'unofficial' reissues that sound good. I have quite a few on the Tapestry and Timeless labels that do a nice job including more than acceptable sleeve and pressing quality. Certainly £40-£50 is a sensible limit for used vinyl since it is below the cost of a new 45 rpm Audiophile double LP. I've only ever exceeded £40 on 2 or 3 occasions (incl a couple for Yes plum labels).

3 reissues that equal or exceed the originals in SQ and do more than a reasonable job in sleeve design - Ziggy Stardust (EMI), Fog On The Tyne (Virgin), and Bandstand (Snapper). The later reproduces the die cut window sleeve with great accuracy. FOTT far exceeds the pressing quality of any Charisma original while preserving the lovely dynamic recording.

I had quite a number of 80's represses until a few years ago and replaced them with original or early pressings due to their poor mastering quality. I think the popularity of the LP12 in the 80's may have something to do with it's ability to gloss over the shortcomings of such pressings as much as the hype.

Please report back on condition of your purchases as I find reliable grading of vinyl condition an increasing problem.

BTW Diverse have Family's Entertainment on Tapestry for £15. (Repros the original insert/poster).

Paul.

Rare Bird
06-07-2013, 09:49
Hi Paul

I have that Family's Entertainment on Tapestry, you right it does have the insert but the cover is too bulky & not a laminated cover like my old Reprise pressing was.Sounds ok tho..

I bought Gentle Giant debut LP on Timeless, im happy with the cover quality & sound quality but not the horrid label design..Even the Spaceship vert re-issues sounds good so im looking out for at least one of those.A swirley might be a bit over my limit!!

Audioman
06-07-2013, 10:06
Unfortunately have to put up with designer/bespoke labels. Some of the audiophile labels are just as guilty. The best label repros have got to be the new Nick Drake reissues (plus the best SQ). Speakers Corner have generally been excellent in this respect but not much prog. No way is anyone going to repro an early Reprise label pressing - the pre Kinney/Warner ones are superb.

Rare Bird
07-07-2013, 10:06
I bought two Electric Prunes LP's on Re-Issue they are on Reprise repro's .

I was quite impressed with the first three King Crimson 200grm Re-Issues, i like the way they made the labels look like Pink Island label, however i always prefer the look of the Pink Rim label..& i'll most probably sell those new ones if i can get hold of older editions..

Audioman
07-07-2013, 11:06
I've only got TCOTCK on pink rim and I'm sure the reissue sounds slightly better. Also good luck finding affordable and playable originals. Red reissue is due beginning of August.

Rare Bird
07-07-2013, 11:25
O i wouldnt buy a 1st Issue Pink Island, it would be Pink Rim, i have both ELP 's/t' & 'Tarkus' on Pink Rim & 1st Issue Pinks, i cannot hear any difference between the two, so really not worth forking out on an original Pink for me..