PDA

View Full Version : What's all this?

Stratmangler
24-04-2013, 09:53
What's all this stuff at the top of the forum home page?

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae88/Stratmangler/AoSBanner_zps1363574b.png (http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Stratmangler/media/AoSBanner_zps1363574b.png.html)

Audio Al
24-04-2013, 09:55
Looks like stuff to me as well :D

MartinT
24-04-2013, 09:57
Nick is working on it, Chris. We're on the case!

Tarzan
24-04-2013, 11:44
What's all this stuff at the top of the forum home page?

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae88/Stratmangler/AoSBanner_zps1363574b.png (http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Stratmangler/media/AoSBanner_zps1363574b.png.html)

Daftee code?

Macca
24-04-2013, 12:38
It's just there to remind you how much computers suck.

freefallrob
24-04-2013, 13:21
The Matrix Neo;)

Rare Bird
24-04-2013, 13:53
G'ee'ower moanin you got yer forum back be satisfied :D

Audio Al
24-04-2013, 14:53
Daftee code?

:rfl::rfl::rfl::lol::lol::lol: you missed the " Senior " :D

Stratmangler
25-04-2013, 11:22
Daftee code indeed :D
Glad to see things looking a bit more normal now :)

Beechwoods
25-04-2013, 11:44
Yes! It should be fixed. It looks that way to me - can you confirm?

twickers
25-04-2013, 11:52
All fixed now :thumbsup:

Rare Bird
25-04-2013, 12:16
Well done nick. A nice pair of special edition, fury sock suspenders in the post from all the members of AOS as a thank you...

Marco
25-04-2013, 12:48
Nice gesture, but he's strictly a pantyhose man ;)

Marco.

tommy6206
25-04-2013, 13:22
I still Have to log in every time.If I leave the site for 10 mins or so it logs me out and I have to log back in..

MartinT
25-04-2013, 13:24
Gary - have you got cookies enabled? The browser needs to be able to create a cookie to remember your authentication details.

Beechwoods
25-04-2013, 15:23
Make sure you tick the 'Remember Me' button when you log in as well.

Beechwoods
25-04-2013, 15:32
The PHP errors we saw were the result of our web host kindly upgrading the version of PHP on the server without assessing the impact on scripts or the database. This was fixed by them moving us back to the compatible version of PHP.

This involuntary upgrade was also the cause of the downtime we experienced.

Muppetry of the highest order. We are not pleased with the 'support' we've been receiving, that much I will say for free.

tommy6206
25-04-2013, 17:00
Yes box ticked cookies enabled.This started to happen just before the site went down.And no I dont have this problem with any other site

MartinT
25-04-2013, 17:10
Gary - try clearing your internet cache.

Rare Bird
25-04-2013, 17:23
It makes me wonder how some people find the toothpaste tube in a morning.

tommy6206
25-04-2013, 19:50
all the above has already been done a few times..
I do know my around a computer I've been building them long enough but this one has me stumped all other website are fine..

Alex_UK
25-04-2013, 21:58
Very strange - which browser do you use Gary?

WOStantonCS100
25-04-2013, 22:22
It's just there to remind you how much computers suck.

:lol:

The PHP errors we saw were the result of our web host kindly upgrading the version of PHP on the server without assessing the impact on scripts or the database. This was fixed by them moving us back to the compatible version of PHP.

This involuntary upgrade was also the cause of the downtime we experienced.

Muppetry of the highest order. We are not pleased with the 'support' we've been receiving, that much I will say for free.

So, you didn't get on with the new value added features?? Some people are so ungrateful. ;)

tommy6206
25-04-2013, 22:24
Very strange - which browser do you use Gary?

Hi Alex
I may have it sorted.Fingers crossed been away from the site about half hour and its not logged me out...:cool:

Alex_UK
25-04-2013, 22:33
Fingers crossed

+1 :)

MartinT
26-04-2013, 06:25
I was just thinking that it may be the Managed Passwords area that has stored a bad password (if you mistyped it and then ticked the box), so that every time you go back to the site it authenticates incorrectly and drops out of logged in.

Just a thought.

The Grand Wazoo
26-04-2013, 06:36
He wouldn't be able to post if he tried to log in on an incorrect password though, Martin?

MartinT
26-04-2013, 07:27
No, but he is then logging in manually each time.

The Grand Wazoo
26-04-2013, 07:29
Ah yes - I can see now why you're in the job you are in and I'm just a humble lad from the woods!

MartinT
26-04-2013, 08:12
Yes, but all I know about forestry could be written on a very small piece of paper!

Stratmangler
05-05-2013, 11:14
Oh no, it's back again .... :(

MartinT
05-05-2013, 11:16
Yep, it looks like our hosts have performed another upgrade without telling us. Nick is on the warpath :steam:

Audio Al
05-05-2013, 11:21
Its not coming up like that on my Mac :scratch:

Stratmangler
05-05-2013, 11:38
Its not coming up like that on my Mac :scratch:

The only fruity computer based kit in the house is my son's iPod Touch, and the forum has the same thing showing when I use that.
The iPod Touch is running OS6, and the browser is Safari.

Audio Al
05-05-2013, 11:42
My Mac is running OS X 10.8.3

And Firefox still no problems

Audio Al
05-05-2013, 11:44
Hold on

If i click new posts it does not come up

If I click on the AOS banner it does come up :(

Barry
05-05-2013, 18:56
I received all that gibberish when I logged on. I just ignored it.

Am a bit more concerned however, with McAfee giving me "red warnings" when I click onto any AoS thread. How long does it take for websites to be cleared and removed from the 'dodgy' list?

Macca
06-05-2013, 13:14
I can no longer access AoS from my work PC, I get an intranet warning that I am trying to access a site with dodgy content! Bit of a ball-ache actually as all our work traffic routes through Tennessee which means if I want to sort it out my end I have to knock heads with some IT bloke in another time zone. Any chance getting it fixed?

Thing Fish
06-05-2013, 13:17
I think it makes interesting reading...:scratch:

AlanS
06-05-2013, 13:58
I can no longer access AoS from my work PC, I get an intranet warning that I am trying to access a site with dodgy content! Bit of a ball-ache actually as all our work traffic routes through Tennessee which means if I want to sort it out my end I have to knock heads with some IT bloke in another time zone. Any chance getting it fixed?

I wouldn't push it at work. You are access something that rightly or wrongly is deemed dodgy. Your IT people dont care about the finer points of what the site is (or why you are using a non work site). I as others get the same block. Thankfully I am part of IT and am know so they don't think Im after naughty stuff (I hope). If your people are remote leave to sort itself out.

You are not the only one to get this situation.

Macca
06-05-2013, 14:03
I should point out that I only read the site at work during my down-time which is perfectly within company policy.

Anyway they can't sack me I am the only one who knows how to unjam the rod-bottom coagulator...

Audio Al
06-05-2013, 14:25
I'm no longer getting the code when clicking on the AOS banner :)

MartinT
06-05-2013, 15:00
Anyway they can't sack me I am the only one who knows how to unjam the rod-bottom coagulator...

Do you know, I'm the only one who knows how to spiflicate the rotocondries. Useless, the lot of them!

More seriously, it helps when you run IT and can just allow anything you like through the content filter ;)

Rare Bird
06-05-2013, 15:18
No codes here but started getting AVG warnings again

AlanS
07-05-2013, 08:36
Congratulations

I am able to see AoS via my work PC without error message or AV protests. Well done those who have struggled with it.

I posted and edited this via work PC

technobear
09-05-2013, 10:21
The dodgy iframe Trojan is back :-(

AlanS
09-05-2013, 10:25
The dodgy iframe Trojan is back :-(

Not here. Work PC free from reports and warnings

AlanS
16-05-2013, 10:08
Congratulations at the long slog working out and we are running again

Daniel75
16-05-2013, 10:23
yay! AOS is back. I missed it:)

archiesdad
16-05-2013, 10:36
Thank god it's back, my fingernails were getting mighty frayed with nothing much to do.

Audio Al
16-05-2013, 10:38
Woop Woop

Life returns to normal

3 cheers for whoever fixed it :D:D:D

walpurgis
16-05-2013, 10:44
I do wish people would remember to put coins in the AOS meter. The outages are cocking up my evenings. I've even had to mess about with the Hi-Fi to keep myself occupied. :)

AlanS
16-05-2013, 11:42
Error appeared saying access forbidden when clicking on NewPost link. Refresh brower and it works

Marco
16-05-2013, 12:21
Hi folks,

Please accept our apologies for the recent downtime, which was due to technical faults out with of our control, in relation with our forum hosts, Global Gold.

What's basically been happening is that we're soon going to be upgrading the forum software to the latest version of vB4 (from vBulletin), for a number of reasons (improvements and refinements to the existing system for our members), but essentially because our current software, vBulletin 3.8.7, is not properly supported by the system used by Global Gold, who provide the hosting for the forum, and so when automatic updates to our database were being applied, it was causing the database to crash and produce errors (the reason for the previous downtime of some 50 hours+, until we got it fixed).

Therefore, we need to upgrade to vB4, as a matter of urgency. However, before we do so, we're running a test site, on vB4, in conjunction with the current main site, in order that we can customise the vB4 template to our requirements, namely in terms of its aesthetics (and some other elements in relation to functionality), as the stock vB4 operational template is dreadful and totally soulless, especially for AoS. Being the ART of sound, we insist that the look of the forum has an 'arty' feel to it, including our banner, etc, which complies with our established visual image and colour scheme.

If anyone wants to see how drab the stock vB4 template looks (apart from some light tweaking and the instalment of their banner), take a look at Wigwam..... (Sorry Wammers, but IMO, the layout on your site, governed by the stock VB4 template, is dreadful). Anyway, once we're happy with the layout and iron out some minor technicalities, on the test site, the new site will go live. We expect this to happen within the next week.

However, what we didn't realise (and indeed at the time were not informed by Global Gold) is that effectively running two sites at once on the server would use up all of our allocated bandwidth and cause the site to crash, which is exactly what happened and why the forum has been down since Tuesday evening (along with more than a little ineptitude from GG, in terms of resolving the matter quickly)! We've now increased our available bandwidth to cope with running the test site, alongside the main site, so system crashes will not occur.

We've also now taken steps to ensure that in future, the forum, in the event of a problem (barring a major general outage), should not go down for such a long time, by upgrading the package of support we receive from GG to 'fully managed'. This basically means that, in the event of a problem, we're now promised to receive a reply from their technical department within an hour, 24/7. That was not the case before, as when report tickets were being raised, we were sometimes having to wait 7 hours (or more) until matters were being looked into (until GG had cleared their backlog of tickets raised by 'priority customers', of which we are now one), especially if problems occurred outside of normal working hours (Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm).

Anyway, basically everything is now sorted! :)

Once again, please accept our apologies for the recent accumulated downtime, which was totally unacceptable and also very frustrating for all of us. However, once vB4 has been customised to our satisfaction, and it goes live, we can promise you a much improved user experience on AoS, as the forum will have an enhanced, more professional look, together with some very useful added functions, for all our members.

We'll let you all know well in advance when the new site is going live. Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Audioman
16-05-2013, 13:35
Marco.

Perhaps a sticky to keep members informed of developments and likely outages when the changeover occurs may be a good idea. When SH Forum did an update there was plenty of information given to members. In fact they ditched vBulletin altogether for Xenforo as for them it was becoming far too greedy on bandwidth. Apparently Xenforo needs much less server capacity. BTW I'm sure for hosting there are companies more competent than Global Gold appear to be based on their recent performance.

Paul.

Marco
16-05-2013, 15:04
Hi Paul,

First of all, as I'm sure you're aware, the recent outages weren't planned, and of course when they happened, and the site went down, we had no way (other than through our Facebook page - were you aware of the latter's existence?) of informing people of what had happened.

Secondly, scheduled downtime is always outlined in the forum's Notice Board section (found here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19), well in advance of it taking place. Have you checked out that section of the forum? :)

We're quite happy at the moment with using vBulletin for the forum's operational software, especially since we've seen how good the latest version of vB4 is, once customised to our requirements. I'm sure you'll like the results when the new site goes live.

As for Global Gold, they had provided us with near-faultless service until the company was taken over by someone else recently, which caused a few problems not only to us, but to others who were also using their services. However, a recent restructure by the current management appears to have resulted in the company getting their act together again.

Furthermore, some major butts were kicked, at a senior level of GG, by Nick and I, together with suitable compensation delivered by them in order to help make up for the serious inconvenience we experienced, due to the site's extended downtime, through no fault of our own, including a promise that their support services will be of a much higher standard in future. We will insist on that happening, if they wish to retain our business - all of which means that, for the time being, we've decided to stick with GG.

However, rest assured that if GG's standards of service fall below the levels that we demand again, we will use another company's services to host our website.

Marco.

RichB
16-05-2013, 17:32
Hooray and welcome back.

walpurgis
16-05-2013, 18:39
I hope your revised arrangements with GG are successful Marco. It sounds like a major pain to have been dealing with. Good luck!

Marco
17-05-2013, 08:42
Cheers, Geoff.

We don't expect these issues to occur again, although there may be a small amount of downtime whilst we upgrade the site to our new customised version of vB4. However, we'll be publicising when that'll be happening well in advance on The Notice Board :)

Marco.