PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 90: 23.04.2013: Snakefarm – Songs From my Funeral (1999)

Album Club
23-04-2013, 22:26
Big thanks to Barry (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?u=976) for this week's choice:

The following is an adaptation of a much longer piece I wrote here (http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/?s=Snakefarm&searchsubmit=).

Snakefarm - Songs From My Funeral (1999)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QVYVC5XGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

How does one describe Snakefarm’s ‘Songs From My Funeral’? Is it Portishead meets Nick Cave and together they sing American folk classics? Perhaps. Is it slinky ‘80s ‘middle of the road’ meets drum ‘n’ bass? Maybe. Is it jazz funk meets trip-hop? Not quite.

Snakefarm are the collaboration between singer Anna Domino and her guitarist partner Michael Delory. ‘Songs From My Funeral’ could well be described as a concept album in that the themes for the songs are murder ballads, songs about death and the consequences of the opening up of the American Midwest through the building of railways; sometimes more than one motif is included in a song. Even the lullaby sung at the end is distinctly unsettling. All the songs are reinterpretations of traditional American folk ballads.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/4d/73/2d34e03ae7a0d55631e22210.L._V221791636_SL200_.jpg

spotify:album:1ZwdCz5Br4YV4JYOqMttud

Now all this sounds quite gloomy and depressing, but it’s not. Thanks to Snakefarm’s reworking of these folk classics the results, whilst dark and atmospheric, are actually surprisingly up-tempo. The darkness comes from Anna Domino’s vocals, which through the use of filters and other effects sounds cool, sultry but at times also detached and remote. There are distinct similarities here to the voices of Laurie Anderson and of Margo Timmins (singer with the Cowboy Junkies). This coolness is largely counterbalanced by the imaginative use of sampling, wind instruments and drum programming, and of time signatures, hence the seemingly contradictory musical styles suggested at the beginning.

This is a good place to introduce the musicians. They are:

Anna Domino – vocals and vocal effects, electric guitar and accordion,
Michael Delory – electric, acoustic and classical guitars, dobro, banjo and keyboard and drum programming,
Paul Dugan – upright, Arco and Fender bass,
Stephan Ulrich – electric guitar solos and effects,
Paul Shapiro – tenor sax, flute and recorder.

xShpBdQd0yg _tvwcJ0Y8hg
XZAwDA4w_xE vuzrgu55lkA

So how do we summarise ‘Songs From My Funeral’? Well, all the tracks are a refreshing take on the classic American folk ballads. Given the sombre nature of the material, Snakefarm’s arrangements are surprisingly up beat and a change from the traditional treatment given by past performers. The most obvious criticism might be the lack of variety of the arrangements, leading to an unchanging and perhaps tiresome presentation. Clearly this is Snakefarm’s ‘sound’, but it is not for everyone.

Snakefarm ‘Songs From My Funeral’, 1999, RCA BMG Kneeling Elephant, RCA 07863 67687-2

The Grand Wazoo
23-04-2013, 22:47
Wooooo-hoooooo!
A long time love of mine, this album. I discovered it in my local music library just after it had been released, knew nothing of it but borrowed it on the strength of the fact that it had some covers of blues standards on it. I didn't know what to expect, but thought anyone who records 'John Henry' at the end of the 20th Century can't be that bad (John Henry as performed by Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee was one of the tracks that first really drew me into the blues as a teenager).
When I got it home and played it, I was a bit shocked but pleasantly surprised - it was not exactly conforming to any crusty old front porch -woke up this morning- found my woman left me and my dog died stereotypes, to say the least.

I think it was one of my Spinning Today posts on AoS that introduced this to a few members - it's still a firm favourite in this house.
Fantastic songs played and recorded in the most atmospheric manner I could imagine. A really, really great album and nothing like the blues!

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 23:02
Completely new to me, but the Portishead reference has me intrigued! Busy fewdays with work, but looking forward to giving this a go, thanks Barry. :)

johnB
23-04-2013, 23:36
Kinda like this on first listen through Barry. I echo the point that the arrangements are a bit samey, but interesting nonetheless....
Anyway speaking of Snakefarm........

z2mSsqLXA5U

The rather wonderful Ray Wylie Hubbard sings "Snakefarm", which is either about a Snakefarm near New Braunfels in Texas, or else a whorehouse.

John
24-04-2013, 04:30
I got into this from Chris I not listened to it for awhile so be good to go back to it

MartinT
24-04-2013, 06:25
Oh I do like the groove throughout this album. Why does it vaguely remind me of Swing Out Sister in parts? Some strange connection in my brain going on there. Good songs, like it on first play. Never heard them before. 8/10.

Tim
24-04-2013, 08:48
Well I didn't have to think long about this one as its a firm favourite at Tim Towers and one of my early 'spinning snags' courtesy of Chris (TGW) as I discovered it via AoS and just checked my Amazon history to see I bought this in Feb 2011. Not played it for awhile, so time to dust it off.

Gets and easy 10/10 from me as I love it :)

losenotaminute
28-04-2013, 20:31
This was a new artist to me, and I did enjoy listening to the album, especially their version of John Henry. I couldn't find a vinyl copy unfortunately, and I think that would have pushed it to an 8 or 9 if I could have found one. I like the jazz / relaxed feel to their music, married with a good beat. Thanks for sharing.

synsei
28-04-2013, 20:41
Its not something I would play everyday but in the right frame of mind I can see myself rockin' out to this. A solid 6/10 from me ;)

keiths
01-05-2013, 17:30
Totally new to me and I enjoyed this very much after a few listens on Grooveshark. Will definately buy - 8/10.

Barry
01-05-2013, 18:15
Having suggested this title - I thought I ought to respond.

First of all I have to thank Chris (TGW) for drawing it to my attention. I'm giving it 9/10 because, as I mentioned, I do feel the arrangements are all a little bit the same.

However, Snakefarm do a refreshing re-take on the blues standards.

If you want something similar, but a little less dark-sounding, try 'My Halo at Half-Light'

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515lh-uLpLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 10:43
Really enjoying this, and won a copy on CD on ebay yesterday for just £3.49 inc P&P!

Thanks for choosing it Barry, 8/10 from me, but I suspect that will increase the more I listen to it! :)

pjdowns
14-09-2013, 15:10
Sorry Barry, not really my thing 4/10 from me!