PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the sunny south

paskinn
23-04-2013, 16:47
I joined about six months ago, but havn't posted until now. Seems a nice forum. Anyway, my system, which is a touch weird really.
Turntable: SME, with aging Koetsu.
Other sources: No digital, ever. Two reel to reels ,loads of 10inch tape. Yamaha, Neal and Nakamichi cassette machines (but no cassettes) Quad fm4 tuner.

Amps: Audionote Jinro. Also Rogers HF 86 and Beam Echo Avantic, fully restored. Quad 303/33.

Phonstage. Music First step up (big one, don't know the name). Various mm stages, mainly valve but also some solid state. Still experimenting.

Speakers. Now it gets very silly, very quickly. Lowther Acoustas with Lowther DX3s and Rel 582 subwoofer (vital with Lowthers). But...the big beasts are still being built (300 hours so far). A clue, they require a large bag of cement and an equally large bag of plaster of paris (25kilos). Plus about £900 of birch plywood boards. I think there is only on speaker, ever, which meets this set of requirements. If you can guess, message me!

Music: everything but Mantovani, and he was probably a nice chap. Especially enjoy Sibelius and stuff like Steely Dan. Early Genesis too.. But will try most things.As for pics, will try to work out how. Must read the instructions.....

John
23-04-2013, 16:51
Welcome Peter
Interesting system We really do enjoy pictures
Tell us about the music you enjoy listening on it

Jonboy
23-04-2013, 16:57
Welcome Peter from another Sussex resident and A N fan

Puffin
23-04-2013, 17:30
Big Fun Horn?

Haselsh1
23-04-2013, 18:00
A very fine welcome from the sunny north

paskinn
24-04-2013, 00:05
A very fine welcome from the sunny north

I've heard of the North...but the 'sunny' North?. That one escapes me. Ideally, everyone would live on the Cornish coast and wear those silly shirts they saw on reruns of 'Miami Vice' (I want to be Crocket).

Firebottle
24-04-2013, 05:35
Welcome Peter, I like your sense of humour :lol:

Spill the beans on all the phono stages, especially the valves.....

:cool:Alan

MartinT
24-04-2013, 05:52
Hello Peter, glad you emerged to say hello. Some nice big horns there, hope you have a big room to let them breath. By the way...

:worthless:

paskinn
24-04-2013, 11:04
Welcome Peter, I like your sense of humour :lol:

Spill the beans on all the phono stages, especially the valves.....

:cool:Alan

You have got me in a vulnerable area as I can't make up my mind. I was using a Shindo Monbrisson, but didn't need the linestage as I now have an integrated. Disgracefully (I'l have to hand in my 'audio' badge) I am using the music first step-up into a (wait for it).....Cambridge Audio 641 MM stage. My apologies for offending anyone.
Anyway, now trying an posh LFD MCT SE phonostage...tomorrow I hope to get the loan of the basic Croft riaa. I like Croft and have high hopes. I've heard suggestions that the least expensive model is especially nice.

As for the horns and the need for a big room. The 'mystery' horns are five foot high. My room is 13ft by 11ft. My partner thinks I should make a little den inside the speakers and hibernate each winter.

Andrei
03-05-2013, 02:37
I've heard of the North...but the 'sunny' North?
Sunny North makes perfect sense to me! But then, I'm from downunder.