PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back

Spectral Morn
23-04-2013, 09:10
Nice to see AOS back.

No doubt the last few days have been a nightmare trying to revive it from its digital tomb.

I can only but imagine the hassle and grief Nick and the team have had trying to sort things out.

Well done :cool:

Regards Neil

Wakefield Turntables
23-04-2013, 09:16
You should see the aos thread over on subjectivist forum :rolleyes:

hal55
23-04-2013, 09:17
Okay, welcome back but what happened? A virus nasty? Infiltrated by Russian Digital Mafia.com? Good to see AOS back and thanks to the moderators etc for sorting out what must have been a massive problem.

Hal55

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 09:18
All the credit must go to Nick - well done, and thanks for your efforts.

purite audio
23-04-2013, 09:20
Congratulations to everyone involved in getting The AOS back online.
Keith.

freefallrob
23-04-2013, 09:21
:D

Gordon Steadman
23-04-2013, 09:22
Good grief,

I've missed my fix. The site has been off for three whole days!!!:(:(

Glad its back but I wonder what the header above the usual one means!!

realysm42
23-04-2013, 09:30
Hello, I've missed this place lol!

Mr. C
23-04-2013, 09:33
What happen here guys?

StanleyB
23-04-2013, 09:34
It's amazing how poor other hifi forums really are these days. Three days of them is about the maximum that I could handle.

serendipitydawg
23-04-2013, 09:35
" Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone "

Welcome back

brian2957
23-04-2013, 09:43
Yup well done chaps . Good to have the forum back.

The Black Adder
23-04-2013, 09:48
I was hurtin man.... I stole some cables from Richer Sounds and ate my lunch from a speaker grille... Thanks for bringing it back and tapping my mainline.. Ahhhh!

kenworthy100
23-04-2013, 09:54
So glad the forum is back, makes me realise how much I get out of browsing the various pages, well done to all involved

Roy S
23-04-2013, 09:55
Yes, has to be said the other forums are dire by comparison with AOS.

Wecome back :cool:

realysm42
Yeah, the other forums aren't as comfortable as this place. I wonder if its the colour scheme?

DSJR
Ditto to all above from me. :)

DSJR
23-04-2013, 09:57
You should see the aos thread over on subjectivist forum :rolleyes:

Oh I have, don't worry... I think they missed this forum even more than we did :rofl: - nothing to jibe nastily at.

Now, I need to catchup earning some more shillings for Rega - where was I now? :eek:

brainz2000
23-04-2013, 09:59
Can't agree more with all of the above

Thanks for fixing it ...

Tim

wiicrackpot
23-04-2013, 09:59
I really thought it was gone for good this time and something else will rise from it's ashes, :doh:
glad it's not the case as it's the 1st place i look in when i open my beady eyes in the morning, it's been murder but glad it's back.

istari_knight
23-04-2013, 10:03
+1 actually had to go out & do normal stuff... It was awful!

Well done to the fixers :thumbsup:

twickers
23-04-2013, 10:17
Much thanks to everyones efforts in getting the site up and running again. Welcome back

chris@panteg
23-04-2013, 10:17
Well done from me ! Database restored I presume ?

Covenant
23-04-2013, 10:19
I have a mental picture of Marco and the other mods answering emails cheerfully, trying to convey a calm image and then screaming and tearing their hair out!
Welcome back!

MikeMusic
23-04-2013, 10:24
Yes. Was strange
Rather than forget the details on a post I was going to make I emailed it to myself to plug in later !

MartinT
23-04-2013, 10:24
Rescuing AoS was all Nick's doing - well done and thanks, Nick.

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 10:33
As I've said elsewhere, Nick (Beechwoods) is the one who has done all the hard work, (and now the baldest one amongst us) - so well done Nick.

I've been sitting here twiddling my thumbs like the rest of you - cripes, I even had to try and make polite conversation with my wife last night! :eek:

MikeMusic
23-04-2013, 10:42
As I've said elsewhere, Nick (Beechwoods) is the one who has done all the hard work, (and now the baldest one amongst us) - so well done Nick.

Yes. Well done Nick
I know about Database, PC and IT problems. So glad it wasn't me

MartinT
23-04-2013, 10:48
We're just glad you weren't anywhere near it, Mike!

MikeMusic
23-04-2013, 10:51
We're just glad you weren't anywhere near it, Mike!

:lol:

Oh I dunno a DOS database running on Novell would do perfick

Rare Bird
23-04-2013, 10:52
Seems to be an handful of welcome back threads running, don't people read other topics before starting a new?

JazzBones
23-04-2013, 10:54
Lost a stone in weight, dinky dye I did:eek: Good to see you all back with lower blood level readings I would assume?:D:D:D:mex:

northwest
23-04-2013, 10:57
Basic Schoolboy error though - having your domain name AND hosting with the same company. I would look at that.
Oh, and hosting all your own pictures on your own forum webspace isn't too smart either. Takes the backup/restore process forever to accomplish.
All lessons learned though. Makes it that bit more rubust for future. I would be looking at your DDOS strategy too. Don't think it can't happen to you either and there are a few hosting companies - not mentioning any names - who have been known to charge the client for the bandwidth consumed during a Ddos attack. You wouldn't want the bill.

JazzBones
23-04-2013, 10:58

I've been sitting here twiddling my thumbs like the rest of you - cripes, I even had to try and make polite conversation with my wife last night! :eek:

Struth Alex, did you remember who those two little kids were running around the house? :lol:

Effem
23-04-2013, 11:03
Yes, has to be said the other forums are dire by comparison with AOS.

Wecome back :cool:

My sentiments exactly :eyebrows:

jandl100
23-04-2013, 11:06
Welcome back - well done, I felt lost without you. :thumbsup:

tommy6206
23-04-2013, 11:09
well done, Its great to have it back..

Audio Al
23-04-2013, 11:09
Pheww

We are back up and running after what seems an eternity :)

I have missed the forum so am very pleased its now available again

May even do a TAT sale update later :eek:

Thanks for sorting it out :)

icehockeyboy
23-04-2013, 11:11
Don't ever dare do that again! :steam:

It really was horrible not being able to dip in and out of what is definitely the best Hifi forum around! :eyebrows:

Anyway, welcome back!

Tarzan
23-04-2013, 11:14
:mex:

Yay! We are back:cool:

cuddles
23-04-2013, 11:30
It's terrific seeing AOS back - looked at a few other sites instead :scratch: Didn't like 'em much

RobbieGong
23-04-2013, 11:35
Lol - Definately only one AOS, :D

MartinT
23-04-2013, 11:48
Oh, and hosting all your own pictures on your own forum webspace isn't too smart either. Takes the backup/restore process forever to accomplish.

It's not something we encourage - our tutorials always suggest hosting with ImageShack or Flickr, for instance. However, hosting the thumbnails makes things easier for our members who find linking to hosted images challenging.

Gordon Steadman
23-04-2013, 12:01
Seems to be an handful of welcome back threads running, don't people read other topics before starting a new?

Note the time they both started!! He was just quicker to finish than me!!!! I couldn't read a thread that wasn't there:doh:

Whatever, its good to be back:)

steviej233
23-04-2013, 12:36
Didn't realise how much time i spend on this site! Glad its back up and running! :)

Concerto Audio
23-04-2013, 13:37
I thought it was my computer playing up

or

AOS banned me:D

Marco
23-04-2013, 13:38
Thanks for the kind words, chaps :)

We know how much AoS means to you, so were determined to get the forum up and running again, ASAP... A big thanks to Nick (Beechwoods) for his hard work behind the scenes, kicking the asses of our forum hosts to get the site back on-line! :clap:

Now, to find out why this pish happened in the first place and to put into place measures that ensure it will never happen again..........

Marco.

northwest
23-04-2013, 14:29
It's not something we encourage - our tutorials always suggest hosting with ImageShack or Flickr, for instance. However, hosting the thumbnails makes things easier for our members who find linking to hosted images challenging.

First off, I hope nobody thinks I am being critical, my comments arise from years of doing this and most of it learned the hard way:doh:
Never entrust your domains to the same person as your hosting, this I would strongly discourage for lots of reasons.
Secondly - hosting - just because the host is in the UK does not mean the forum is "faster" for the user, what sort of hardware is on offer from your provider because if it is Old Iron a server in Singapore - for instance - using the latest processors and rakes of RAM could well be faster. Then of course you could go fully Cloud in a Cloud Instance which is ideal for a forum. Personally I prefer a good cluster server, but I am stuck in my ways:-)
For the photographs I would recommend getting a similar domain artofsound.info for instance and using that exclusively for forum images.
vBulletin is good forum software and has been around a long while with good support and the backup routines work well.
I would bet the farm that Nick will put something in place that there would never be a repeat of this but my suggestions are from my own experiences. There is no need sticking your fingers in the plug socket twice to see if there is electricity there, once is usually more than enough for most.

Ali Tait
23-04-2013, 14:48

We know how much AoS means to you, so were determined to get the forum up and running again, ASAP... A big thanks to Nick (Beechwoods) for his hard work behind the scenes, kicking the asses of our forum hosts to get the site back on-line! :clap:

Now, to find out why this pish happened in the first place and to put into place measures that ensure it will never happen again..........

Marco.

Don't forget to feed the hamsters next time ya daftee!

MikeMusic
23-04-2013, 14:55
I thought it was my computer playing up

or

AOS banned me:D

I assumed it was my PC, our broadband at home, the fact I was in the same room as the PC, the way the wind was blowing.
Then I thought "Oh no !"

hifi_dave
23-04-2013, 14:56
It was (almost) like losing a limb..:eek:

I didn't know what to do with myself and even took a look at another forum. I didn't sign up though.:)

MikeMusic
23-04-2013, 14:57

Marco.
All true !

To put it in the words of my IT guy, who nicked it from me....

"It's computers init"

DSJR
23-04-2013, 15:43
It was (almost) like losing a limb..:eek:

I didn't know what to do with myself and even took a look at another forum. I didn't sign up though.:)

I can think of one forum you'd never look at :eyebrows: :lol:

Yomanze
23-04-2013, 16:39
Back to the grumpy thread with you. :p

Jonboy
23-04-2013, 16:55
ah normality reigns with a welcome return, i thought my computer was fooked to start with after "accidentally" clicking on a certain type of web site late Saturday night when the wife was out :o :lol:

tommy6206
23-04-2013, 17:17
I dont know about the rest of you but the site wont keep me logged in.This started a day or so before the site went down.

Audio Al
23-04-2013, 17:19
I dont know about the rest of you but the site wont keep me logged in

Works OK for me

Have you ticked the box to stay logged in ?

Beechwoods
23-04-2013, 17:20
Thanks for all the good wishes chaps, it's appreciated.

It has indeed been a nightmare getting us back online, but more because 'out of hours support' means Sweet-FA to our forum host :steam: And going down at 4.55am on a Sunday morning was hardly good timing.

I am still trying to get to the bottom of what actually caused the problem. It seems likely that a config conflict is at the root of it, not a hack attack, though.

Good grief,

I've missed my fix. The site has been off for three whole days!!!:(:(

Glad its back but I wonder what the header above the usual one means!!

I am looking into this with help from our server host. It should be resolved within the next 24 hours. It doesn't appear to be affecting everyone - at least it's not visible on the Mac. Some browsers seem more susceptible to the issue that is causing it than others, but we will get it fixed.

Many thanks to everyone for bearing with us while we're getting these last issues sorted out.

prestonchipfryer
23-04-2013, 17:21
Good to see the AoS back on line. Surprising how much it was missed by me. :)

tommy6206
23-04-2013, 17:26
Works OK for me

Have you ticked the box to stay logged in ?

yes if I leave the site for 10 mins or so and come back I have to log in again.It started doing this just before the site went down.

keiths
23-04-2013, 18:00
I am looking into this with help from our server host. It should be resolved within the next 24 hours. It doesn't appear to be affecting everyone - at least it's not visible on the Mac. Some browsers seem more susceptible to the issue that is causing it than others, but we will get it fixed.

Many thanks to everyone for bearing with us while we're getting these last issues sorted out.

The PHP warnings when the forum loads are probably due to a more recent version of PHP being installed on to the server.

Just adding the line

error_reporting(0);

at the top of includes/init.php will probably suppress them.

synsei
23-04-2013, 18:08
I made a few amazing discoveries on Sunday morning: Firstly, the stone box I live in has me sized apertures to the front and rear each secured with a movable stopper, and what's more, outside there is an alternate universe containing all sorts of stuff including more beings like me.... Scary man.... :D

Beechwoods
23-04-2013, 18:15
The PHP warnings when the forum loads are probably due to a more recent version of PHP being installed on to the server.

Just adding the line

error_reporting(0);

at the top of includes/init.php will probably suppress them.

Keith, thanks for this. I agree, from what I have read it looks like a mismatch with the PHP version. I have asked our hosts if we were upgraded during the course of their work to get us online.

I have tried the trick you mentioned above, but it made no difference so I will need to wait for 2nd line support to get back to us in the morning.

WOStantonCS100
23-04-2013, 18:38
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

walpurgis
23-04-2013, 18:47
So, we're up and running again. Excellent!

It was strange not having access to AOS for a while. Bit like having a close member of family rushed off to hospital at no notice. I hadn't realised how used I'd got to AOS being around.

Now I can banter with you lot and make silly comments again.

I see 'the other forum' has been having a gloat. That was so predictable, I popped by for a look and had my assumption confirmed. Old fatty's a real charmer.

Anyway, nice to be back!

archiesdad
23-04-2013, 19:03
My wife was astonished to discover I had not lost the power of speech after all, not that much of it made much sense though, good to see AoS back, normality returns.
I did look at some of the sh*t on a certain forum, sad people elsewhere you know revelling in others losses.

rubber duck
23-04-2013, 19:09
So what happened? No info that I can locate...

Mr Kipling
23-04-2013, 23:14
It was HELL! SHEAR HELL! (Sean Connery accent)

Have to admit on Sunday night I had a look on Mr Dunn's site. I think it's the second time I've visited. I didn't know it existed until a link was provided on the thread regarding the "Indoor Towering Inferno" episode. When I read about it I have to say I thought he was a tad unfairly maligned. To my mind it seemed like a fluke set of ciraumstances that could have happened with other amps of a similar vintage. More often than not the voicecoil would go open-circuit and that would have been it. Unfortunate that his amp happened to be connected at the time. The personal abuse from his side did surprise me somewhat.

Anyway, I was entertained to some extent by what I read on Sunday. Why can't both sides ditch the personal abuse and just learn to live with each other? There's enough acrimony in the world.

Suppose I'm being a tad idealist here.

synsei
24-04-2013, 00:00
It was HELL! SHEAR HELL! (Sean Connery accent)

Have to admit on Sunday night I had a look on Mr Dunn's site. I think it's the second time I've visited. I didn't know it existed until a link was provided on the thread regarding the "Indoor Towering Inferno" episode. When I read about it I have to say I thought he was a tad unfairly maligned. To my mind it seemed like a fluke set of ciraumstances that could have happened with other amps of a similar vintage. More often than not the voicecoil would go open-circuit and that would have been it. Unfortunate that his amp happened to be connected at the time. The personal abuse from his side did surprise me somewhat.

Anyway, I was entertained to some extent by what I read on Sunday. Why can't both sides ditch the personal abuse and just learn to live with each other? There's enough acrimony in the world.

Suppose I'm being a tad idealist here.

They remind me of these guys :D

hvQFR9HS8EE

walpurgis
27-04-2013, 22:07
I see 'the other forum' has been having a gloat. That was so predictable, I popped by for a look and had my assumption confirmed.

Just had another peek over there. There are some really strange people posting. I mean, that's just not normal comment.

Alex_UK
27-04-2013, 23:02
I haven't been there in months, but I suspect we still have the pseudo-intellectual illiterate lawyer massaging his own and Dung's ego, as well as the sycophantic "preserve" of Dung's alter ego (he surely can't be real, can he?) shagging his master's leg like an obedient sex-starved puppy - all barking up a tree that doesn't exist and yapping on like a stuck His Master's Voice record - it would be quite worrying if it wasn't so tragic - do yourself a favour and just don't even go there. :)

Roy S
27-04-2013, 23:28
There's more action on the British Apathy League's forum...

RichB
28-04-2013, 15:26
Hi chaps, I go on holiday for a fortnight and look what goes on whilst i'm away!

Pleased to see that normal service has been resumed in time for my return. Now don't do it again....:lol:

MikeMusic
28-04-2013, 16:37
I haven't been there in months, but I suspect we still have the pseudo-intellectual illiterate lawyer massaging his own and Dung's ego, as well as the sycophantic "preserve" of Dung's alter ego (he surely can't be real, can he?) shagging his master's leg like an obedient sex-starved puppy - all barking up a tree that doesn't exist and yapping on like a stuck His Master's Voice record - it would be quite worrying if it wasn't so tragic - do yourself a favour and just don't even go there. :)

Is that hifisubjective ?
I had a look

MikeMusic
28-04-2013, 16:38
There's more action on the British Apathy League's forum...

I'd join them but I just can't be bothered
:)

walpurgis
28-04-2013, 20:24
I'd join them but I just can't be bothered
:)

I find disinterested cynicism works best for me!

guy
28-04-2013, 21:14
Walpurgis: "Just had another peek over there. There are some really strange people posting. I mean, that's just not normal comment."

And this is? :scratch:

(I'm with Mr Kipling on this)
Guy.

Joe
28-04-2013, 21:46
(I'm with Mr Kipling on this)
Guy.

Well, he does make exceedingly good cakes.

Alex_UK
28-04-2013, 21:51
Oh yes, those yummy French Fancies or top of the list a nice slice of Battenberg - now you're talking! :)

Joe
28-04-2013, 21:54
Oh yes, those yummy French Fancies or top of the list a nice slice of Battenberg - now you're talking! :)

Hence Bach's Battenberg Concertos, of course. He loved his cake, did Bach.

guy
29-04-2013, 07:52
Must think more carefully before agreeing in future :doh:

Guy