PDA

View Full Version : BEST 3D blue ray films please ?

the engine
19-04-2013, 07:05
Just bought a blue ray and a shiney new LED man sized 3D Telly ....Anyone Recc some good films in 3D ?
Please not war films....can't abide em !
Thanks chaps.

JimC
19-04-2013, 17:03
Can't be doin' with the Glasses and if it's a S'Sung, it gives me headache!

2D all the way for me.

However, if you must, people say the 'Cartoon' stuff looks good in 3D. Things like Monsters INC and Despicable Me spring to mind.

Apparently Tron Legacy looks good and Avatar too.

James.

MartinT
19-04-2013, 19:30
I'm sorry but, with a very few exceptions, 3D spells 'crap film' to me. I just don't think 3D adds anything and if I have the choice at the cinema I go with 2D every time.

Now, Sony 4k or the forthcoming UHD standard, that I want!

zygote23
19-04-2013, 21:24
Avatar is about as good as it gets though after a while it's kind of like 'Fern Gully' on acid. Prometheus is ok but no big shakes. Dredd is fine but more like a B movie than a big budgie.

The animated ones are your bestest bet TBH

Tim
19-04-2013, 21:26
3D spells 'crap film' to me
Me too, I hate it and it really spoils a good filum IMO.

Roy S
19-04-2013, 21:43
What about best 3D Blue filums? ('Whoa! thought that thing was going to poke my eye out!') :D

fubar925
20-04-2013, 04:22
All the animated movies are good I enjoyed rise of the guardians at the cinema the snow effect in that movie was good, avatar, I enjoyed the effect in journey 2 mysterious island movie not so good, life of pi is out next week had good reviews for 3d and a few already mentioned... Oh could give the hobbit a try I've not seen in 3d myself but a few friends have said its good in 3d....erm I might give it a go myself..:lol:

Thing Fish
20-04-2013, 04:55
I'm sorry but, with a very few exceptions, 3D spells 'crap film' to me. I just don't think 3D adds anything and if I have the choice at the cinema I go with 2D every time.

+1

roob
23-04-2013, 16:00
3D Movies are just a gimmick to sell more tellies, if you must have one 3D blu-ray then it has to be Avatar.
Stick to good 2D ones such as Sin City, Pans Labyrinth, Blade Runner The Final Cut and Gladiator(Paramount Sapphire series version 2010)

the engine
24-04-2013, 07:25
Sorry but I have to try one.....thanks for the help even if some of it's just stating you don't like it !
Ok hated avatar in the original format so i'm giving that a miss.
I picked up
"Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter" at the weekend .......popcorn and beer at the ready for this Friday night !
I'll make my own mind up then whether it's rubbish or not.
I'm not a film buff by any means as I'd rather listen to music.....my favourite film of the last few years was "there well be blood" so that's how sophisto I am !!
But if it makes us laugh and entertains then as far as i'm concerned , it's good !
No filum snobbery in this house haha .:rolleyes:

UV101
24-04-2013, 08:22
Are you after opinions on the movie or the 3D effects???

The title and op suggests you are interested in what the 3D will bring. Interesting that you don't want to watch Avatar in 3D because it's probably one of the only films designed to be in 3D the whole way through!

Mark Grant
24-04-2013, 08:50
3D gives me a headache after a while but maybe my eyes are worn out.

Hugo is a good 3D film of reference picture quality directed by Martin Scorsese.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hugo-Blu-ray-3D-Asa-Butterfield/dp/B0064YON8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366448690&sr=8-2&keywords=hugo

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6320/hugo_3d.html

Not over the top 3D like some action films, it does not cost much so good to try as you wont watch these often.

UV101
24-04-2013, 08:56
Or.......just join love film for a month ;) that's what I do every time a new COD version comes out on the ps3 ;)

lovejoy
24-04-2013, 12:03
My advice would be to stick to the movies that were actually filmed in 3D. The biggest problem with 3D films is that many of them are shot in 2D and then rendered into 3D in software later. There are some horrible examples of this - Clash of the Titans is one that springs instantly to mind, it looks awful.

Avatar as previously mentioned is one of the best shot 3D films - just a shame about the film itself. I would recommend Hugo which is both a great film and beautifully shot. You can't go wrong with 3D animated films as they will have been properly rendered in 3D and many of these will look great. If you can find 'Fly me to the moon' that is one of the best 3D animations I've seen (if not the best). Wreck it Ralph, Legend of the guaridans and Brave are very good too. Not sure I'd bother with the "Re-masters" such as Lion King etc. for the same reason stated above in that it was not originally made in 3D and hasn't been re-drawn, merely put through a software renderer.

The Hobbit isn't great due to the fact that it was shot in 48 frames per second which meant the camera apertures were wide open to capture the higher levels of light required. As a result, converting this down to 24 frames per second for standard TVs gives some rather nasty jerky motion effects. But at least it was shot in 3D so will still be better than the 2D shot, 3D rendered stuff.

A terrible film unless you have young teenage kids, but impressive 3D was Street Dance - Again shot in 3D and there are some very impressive 3D shots. For such a low budget, non-CGI movie it looks very good indeed.

Lastly for something a bit different and if you have any interest in the TT races or Guy Martin then I'd definitely recommnd TT:Closer to the Edge which has some 3D footage from a 3D camera mounted to the front of Guy's bike although the majority of the film is 2D, but worth seeing just for the 3D bike camera footage.

the engine
25-04-2013, 08:38
Brilliant post !
Thanks and yes i'm a total motor sport freak and guy Martin is a laugh a minute....actually my next holiday is to Barcelona in June for the motogp.
I will look put for that one.......cheers !

the engine
25-04-2013, 08:43
In fact I know there's a DVD docu of the Manx in the house....I remember laughing at him talking a about his getting to sleep tactics !
If you've seen it you'll know .
Thanks everyone but avatar is one of my hates.....it's the most cliched film I've ever seen and I hated the lead character straight off.....

Zoidburg
25-04-2013, 17:48
Sorry but I have to try one.....thanks for the help even if some of it's just stating you don't like it !
Ok hated avatar in the original format so i'm giving that a miss.
I picked up
"Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter" at the weekend .......popcorn and beer at the ready for this Friday night !
I'll make my own mind up then whether it's rubbish or not.
I'm not a film buff by any means as I'd rather listen to music.....my favourite film of the last few years was "there well be blood" so that's how sophisto I am !!
But if it makes us laugh and entertains then as far as i'm concerned , it's good !
No filum snobbery in this house haha .:rolleyes:

I recently bought a 50 inch s'sung 3d tv and Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter is the only film iv actually watched in 3d so far. i dont have a 3d BD player and at the time virgin were showing ALVH in 3d so i streamed it to see what it was all about. No surprises it was 5hit. The effects wernt too bad but its not a great film by any stretch, not sure i even got to the end of it ( granted i do have a it of a low attention span). I love the TV itself but it didnt make me want to run out a buy a 3d player any time soon.

lovejoy
26-04-2013, 13:29
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is another example of a film shot in 2D and rendered into 3D (badly) later. It is truly annoying that they are doing this to films just to squeeze more money out of it and to hell with what it looks like.

This is a very useful page with a list of all 3D films and whether they were actually filmed in 3D or rendered. I've not yet come across one example of rendering that looked any good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films

lovejoy
26-04-2013, 14:13
Also 3D on any broadcast platform (Sky, Virgin etc.) is not full HD (presently). They are currently using line interleave which effectively splits the resolution so that your left eye gets half and the right eye gets the other half, so it's only really 540 lines of resolution. BluRay is far better for 3D.

the engine
26-04-2013, 19:00
Found the Manx tt DVD...no 3D scene. I assume they're on a blue ray version.mine is of course the normal DVD. Thanks anyway.

MartinT
26-04-2013, 20:26
DVD can't do 3D!

Figlet108
08-05-2013, 21:28
Well I for one love 3D. I mean it's the same (hopefully awesome) movie, but with an EXTRA dimension! What's not to like?
But 3D is a presentation device. It's obviously not going to turn a shit film into a good one.

How it is different to when audio went from mono to stereo? That's also a presentation device. Same good or crap music, but with an added dimension. And like 3D it's a device that can be used either skilfully and add to a film or badly and be annoying and get in the way.

For example, who likes the way some of the Beatles tracks use the 2 channels with separate instruments in each channel? Not a good way to use 2 channels in my opinion.

For me a great example of excellent use of 3D in film is in the 3D animation of A Christmas Carol (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-Carol-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B002WN2HFY)
Zemeckis clearly understands how to use 3D to good effect. The opening sequence is simply stunning as the camera flys through the town. We first watched this on IMAX 3D where even your peripheral vision can't see the edges of the screen so it's completely immersive. It was just like a rollercoaster ride or a 'flying dream' when your tummy goes funny.

As others have said Hugo is a great film that also uses 3D to good effect. I also think Kung-Fu Panda (1 & 2) are great movies that also do good 3D.

Recent movies that I thought were good and did good 3D are Life of Pi, and just this very evening we saw Iron Man 3 (again at IMAX 3D). IM3 really was great - the best of the franchise and good 3D.

Ones I would put in the good film but pointless 3D category are all the post-processed ones (as had been mentioned) like say the 3D releases of Star Wars (was there any 3D? all looked 2D to me!). Also the Hobbit was pretty disappointing (in the 3D department that is).

The new Star Trek movie did look awesome in the IMAX 3D trailers though.

Anyway, just my opinion, YMMV, blah blah...

the engine
21-05-2013, 01:44
Couldn't agree more..love the ones i've seen...that vampire slayer made me jump !
Long time since a films done that !
How making a film in the same way we see in real life can make a film worse I just can't comprehend.
I'm really looking forward to nightmare before Christmas in the format . Anyone seen any of that yet ?