PDA

View Full Version : Will a Croft Micro 25 Basic Phono fit into my system?

Thirsty Dog
18-04-2013, 13:52
Hello all,

I'm having a little bit of a dilemma over what phono stage to purchase :scratch:

I will be buying my new turntable this weekend, a Technics SL1210, and my budget for a phono stage at this moment is @£250. I had considered something along the lines of a Graham Slee Gram Amp2 SE or equivalent.

However, I have been trawling through past posts on this forum all morning trying to help me in my final decision (I was hoping to also purchase the phono stage this weekend), when I have come across some glowing recommendations for the Croft Acoustics Micro 25 Basic Phono Pre-amplifier. This has now got me thinking. Although over budget at £400, It may be worth waiting another month or two and saving up to purchase one of these instead.

The question I have concerns how I can fit the Croft into my current system. As I am using an old Pioneer A400 integrated, I know that there is no line in for a pre-amp, and it cannot be used as a stand-alone power amp. Is it possible to use the Croft as a Phono stage only, and connect it to the Line In on the Pioneer? If I can connect the Croft in this way, it will then open up further power upgrade potential in the future :D, and take advantage of the built in Pre-amp. If this can be done, I will just make do with the onboard phono stage in the Pioneer for now, until I can get enough money together.

Also, I was thinking of buying a Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge. Does anybody know if this would be a good match with the Croft? Or maybe, I would be better off going for a slightly cheaper cartridge at this time, and putting the difference towards the Croft?

Any help from you knowledgeable members would be warmly received.

Martin

The Black Adder
18-04-2013, 14:17

Canetoad
18-04-2013, 15:16
Phono line in on the Croft, line out from the Croft into a non-phono line in on the 400.

DSJR
18-04-2013, 17:17
I'm going to say it once more - Either a rega Fono with loads left over to buy good vinyl with, or sling the Pioneer amp out and replace it with a Brio R, the phono stage of which is said by a friend who's compared them and owns both to be better than £600 worth of Slee!!!!!!!!!

You could also walk on the wild side and try an NVA phono stage for £260 or so. These seem well and more conventionally assembled and wired and the overkill power supply should last for ever by the look of the internals I've seen. Since it's only available on eBay I believe there'd be a sale or return option if it didn't float your boat.

Take the above any way you like, or ignore if you want, I really don't care, but the A400 is a fussy old thing and definitely not to everybody's taste... The Croft Basic is a little raw in comparison with the proper ones at double the price and more, but it's a goodie and you may find that you could upgrade the A400 to a proper modern power amp later perhaps?

twotone
18-04-2013, 21:04
I owned a Croft Basic pre with phono stage and it was superb, I used it with a Denon DL-110 (which I still have) and Rega Planar 3 and also Sugden A21aP.

The only thing I would say about the Croft negatively is that the dual volume pots drove me mad which is one of the reason why I sold it.

BTW, that Pre was for sale on the wam recently for £275 plus postage from the guy I sold it to.

I've also had the Pioneer and thought it was shit:D I sold it within a week or so.

Thirsty Dog
18-04-2013, 21:06
Thank you for the comments,

This certainly helps, knowing that I could use a Croft with the A400.

DSJR - Pretty much everything you mentioned has passed through my head at some point :) My original plan was to buy a Brio-R, as this seems the obvious choice, as I already have the Apollo-R and R5's. Problem is, I miss my vinyl so much, I don't want to wait any longer. As I already have a working amp, it makes more sense to buy a turntable. If I bought the Brio, it would be at least another year to get the funds together for a turntable. I will look into doing something about the A400 in the future.

So, I have been trying to see what all my options are for my budget, and I certainly take on board your suggestions.

However, this evening, I have found out that the Taxman is indeed a thieving bar-steward :( I now have £300 to spend on Cartridge and Phono amp, so that Rega Phono is looking more appealing.

Thanks again,

Martin

Canetoad
19-04-2013, 11:14
Martin, I sent you a PM. :)