PDA

View Full Version : Favourite album - Bruce Springsteen

losenotaminute
17-04-2013, 19:36
I'm in a polling mood tonight :D so thought it would be interesting to see which LPs for our popular artists are favourite. If enough AoS members participate this should help members to explore new artists, starting with the good stuff. I would like to kick-off with The Boss, who is the artisist I would probably count as my own choice.

The polling function will only let me have 15 choices, so I will ignore his most recent three, which IMO are below par anyway. You can select more than one option.

johnB
17-04-2013, 20:38
I disagree Lawrence.

I think that Wrecking Ball and Magic are far stronger than Human Touch & Lucky Town (released on the same day I recall), and stronger than and Devils & Dust.

Happy to argue it though.
John

sparrow
17-04-2013, 21:25
I disagree Lawrence.

I think that Wrecking Ball and Magic are far stronger than Human Touch & Lucky Town (released on the same day I recall), and stronger than and Devils & Dust.

John

Would agree with that..

voted for Darkness on the Edge of Town..:cool:

John
17-04-2013, 21:25
Never could really get into Bruce I got a funny Springsteen story to share
Back when he was doing all those Wembley nights the day before the first night, there was a rumour that Bruce was playing under the name of Yngwie Malmsteen Rising Force. Of course it was a Swedish neo classical ego manic guitar player but that did not stop a bunch of Bruce Fans going to their first heavy metal gig (all us metal fans found it funny and sad at the same time) This was before the days of google etc

losenotaminute
17-04-2013, 21:26
I disagree Lawrence.

John

Interesting.... I like most of the tracks on Lucky Town, and actually rate it above Magic and Wrecking Ball. The title track of Human Touch is good, and it has strong memories for me as it came out just as I went to uni, so I played it quite a lot. As to Devils & Dust, IMO it has has a couple of amazing tracks on it which make up for the weaker ones. I find the lyrics on Magic fairly uninvolving, and for some reason the production of the album is not to my taste, although I think Bruce used the normal team?

Roy Bittan is one of the greatest rock pianists in the business IMO, and I think perhaps under-rated for his contribution to the band. But then I suppose he has got quite a bit of competition with The Big Man, Nils Lofgren and Miami Steve. Not to mention Garry Tallent who never puts a foot wrong on bass. Quite a group of musicians.

losenotaminute
17-04-2013, 21:30
Would agree with that..

voted for Darkness on the Edge of Town..:cool:

Darkness is leading in the vote so far and I have to agree that it is up there as one of the top 3, without question. I suspect Bruce thinks it is one of his best also. Prove it All Night is one of my favourite live tracks.

C3vUKBOJ5sU

Barry
17-04-2013, 21:42
Springsteen is an artist best seen live. His LPs don't really do him justice.

I only have one recording and that's 'Darkness at the Edge of Town', so de facto, that's the one I'll vote for. :rolleyes:

johnB
17-04-2013, 21:44
Interesting.... I like most of the tracks on Lucky Town, and actually rate it above Magic and Wrecking Ball. The title track of Human Touch is good, and it has strong memories for me as it came out just as I went to uni, so I played it quite a lot. As to Devils & Dust, IMO it has has a couple of amazing tracks on it which make up for the weaker ones. I find the lyrics on Magic fairly uninvolving, and for some reason the production of the album is not to my taste, although I think Bruce used the normal team?

Roy Bittan is one of the greatest rock pianists in the business IMO, and I think perhaps under-rated for his contribution to the band. But then I suppose he has got quite a bit of competition with The Big Man, Nils Lofgren and Miami Steve. Not to mention Garry Tallent who never puts a foot wrong on bass. Quite a group of musicians.

I agree Lawrence, a lot is about context.....

My top 3

1. Darkness....in the 6th Form, made me realise there was more than punk.

2. Nebraska....stripped down, stark and in places disconcerting.

3. Tunnel of Love....so personal that it hurts.

Could listen to them all....roll on June.

The Grand Wazoo
17-04-2013, 22:21
Asbury Park for me. It was my introduction to him and I still play it quite often.