PDA

View Full Version : When man's best friend has to say goodbye...

synsei
16-04-2013, 22:04
Yesterday, after an excruciatingly terrible couple of weeks for us all here at 'synsei towers', it got even worse when we had to rush our beloved dog Tara to the vets after she collapsed at home. She was diagnosed with a runaway infection in her Uterus which flared up suddenly leaving her in a terrible state. There was nothing the vet could do for her and this evening at 7:25pm she passed peacefully into sleep for the final time. Farewell my furry friend, we all love and miss you very much... :(

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Tara.png (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/Tara.png.html)

Alex_UK
16-04-2013, 22:05
Sorry to hear this Dave. :(

synsei
16-04-2013, 22:07
Thank you Alex. As some may remember, I inherited Tara after my Mum passed away in July 2011 so it is a double whammy... :(

The Grand Wazoo
16-04-2013, 22:08
A bad turn of events Dave. So sorry this has happened.

Audio Al
16-04-2013, 22:13
Sorry to hear that Dave :(:(:(

Gazjam
16-04-2013, 22:25
Aw Dave, that's a sore one.
Times a healer, but never forget the good memories
for them both.

The little things are the big things....most important lesson I've ever learned.

Rare Bird
16-04-2013, 22:26
O Dave sorry to hear this. I would never ever have another pet, when my cat died it tore sheds out of me..

walpurgis
16-04-2013, 22:28
That's so tough. I love animals and get very attached. I can imagine how you feel.

Xapito
16-04-2013, 22:28
Think of all the good memories she left in you and youe family. It's terrible to lose a true best friend like they are but just maybe sometime we'll all meet again...

Rare Bird
16-04-2013, 22:34
I do that, it leaves me a blubbering wreck :(

Marco
16-04-2013, 22:50
So sad, Dave - really sorry to hear that, especially the circumstances in which it happened.... I also know exactly how you feel, as I've been through very similar myself in the past with cats.

Anyone who says that they're 'just animals' really doesn't get it.

Anyway, how I usually deal with the grief is to go straight out and give a home to another stray animal (for us a cat, and in your case, a dog). You won't ever replace Tara, but you can give some other deserving little dog a good home, and in time, you'll love it just as much.

Marco.

Rare Bird
16-04-2013, 22:55
Anyway, how I usually deal with the grief is to go straight out and give a home to another stray animal (for us a cat, and in your case, a dog).

See i can't do that Marco id feel i was betraying 'Lucky' giving the new cat the love that only 'Lucky' should have from me.. Call me nutty if you want..

keiths
16-04-2013, 23:00
Sorry to hear that Dave :(

Marco
16-04-2013, 23:00
See i can't do that Marco id feel i was betraying 'Lucky' giving the new cat the love that only 'Lucky' should have from me.. Call me nutty if you want..

You're not nutty, dude. We just all different, in terms of how we deal with the loss of a pet. I try to balance the loss (and reduce the grief) with the satisfaction and joy of giving another stray animal a loving home. I'm the type of person who will always try and turn a bad thing into a positive :)

Marco.

synsei
16-04-2013, 23:12
So sad, Dave - really sorry to hear that, especially the circumstances in which it happened.... I also know exactly how you feel, as I've been through very similar myself in the past with cats.

Anyone who says that they're 'just animals' really doesn't get it.

Anyway, how I usually deal with the grief is to go straight out and give a home to another stray animal (for us a cat, and in your case, a dog). You won't ever replace Tara, but you can give some other deserving little dog a good home, and in time, you'll love it just as much.

Marco.

Thank you for your kind words Marco. It is very raw at the moment but Jo and I have discussed this. Our family has a history of taking in rescue dogs and I have the utmost respect for all those who work in pet rescue centres, they are angels of the highest order.

Thank you all for your kind words it really is appreciated by the entire family. We did not lose a pet today, we lost a much loved member of our family...

Andrei
16-04-2013, 23:40
Sigh. We lost Jasper (our cat) one year ago. We really did miss him. Soon after we went to the SPCA and got two more more cats (I deliberately do not use the word 'replace'), named Fatty and Skinny. We still talk of Jasper but we feel good about Fatty and Skinny. So I would say this: don't hesitate to get another pet - it will be good for both of you.

goraman
17-04-2013, 00:51
Dave
Sorry you lost Tarra.
I'm not a cat guy and those who know me best will tell you I never met a dog I didn't like.
After some time has past you should read my favorite book.
MAN EATERS of KUMON.
There is a page near the end of the book that gets me every time.

hal55
17-04-2013, 00:56
When I die the ashes of Mooch and Lucky (yes, I had a Lucky cat to ) are going into my coffin and we all get buried together. When I get to the Pearly Gates, they are the first people I want to see - the rest of the family can wait their turn.
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Hal55

Ali Tait
17-04-2013, 05:47
So sorry to hear Dave, I feel for you having been there in the past. Good advice from Marco I think, though you may not be feeling this way at the moment.

May I make a suggestion? Nick's (Lurcher) other half runs a rescue center for Lurchers and other Long Dogs. If you do decide to go down this route, please get in touch with Nick.

sparrow
17-04-2013, 08:36
So Sorry Dave...Our wee Ben is 12 now and in his twilight years. He is a rescue dog and he is starting to show his years. He is still bright but sleeps a lot more and he's madder than me on occasions. Our last dog Sandy was put to sleep just two days before Christmas 2001 and that was the worst Christmas we ever had. Always difficult to take and you have to remember you looked after and loved them during their life..

eff me am nearly crying.

freefallrob
17-04-2013, 08:54
Sorry to hear this, it's really upsetting. We recently had to take Meg one of our cats to be put to sleep, she had cancer in her jaw, she was a stroppy but beautiful little girl.

:-(

Clive
17-04-2013, 09:01
Sorry to hear this Dave. Pooches give so much back I find it especially hard when they go. We have a cat and a dog, it my case whilst attached to both it's the dog that's my favourite.

Tarzan
17-04-2013, 09:21
Condolences Dave:(

chris@panteg
17-04-2013, 09:26
You're not nutty, dude. We just all different, in terms of how we deal with the loss of a pet. I try to balance the loss (and reduce the grief) with the satisfaction and joy of giving another stray animal a loving home. I'm the type of person who will always try and turn a bad thing into a positive :)

Marco.

+1
Exactly how I feel :)

Effem
17-04-2013, 09:35
Yes they are only animals that share your love, life and home but when they depart life, being without them soon shows their real values don't they? My advice is to take on another pet ASAP because there isn't much to replace a cold wet nose and waggy tail to greet you when you get home.

I will really miss our pair terribly, especially the girl Jenny (the white one) who has a unique character. This is the same dog that cost us left arm/right leg money when she smashed her hock off on a tree chasing a rabbit a couple of months after we decided to keep her.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/kernowman/jenny_after_op.jpg

I will never ever forget the eight long weeks of physically lugging all 25kg of this poor dog up and down stairs to the garden so she could do her toilet business. Lost the majority of her teeth now and I don't think she will make old bones so that is the day I am really dreading :(

The boy Jazz is so chilled out and laid back who enabled us to quickly get a fair number of ex-racing foster Greyhounds into shape very quickly. He is much younger, healthier and fitter than she is. Great friend and companion although he is great at pilfering food when your back is turned :lol:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/kernowman/DSC_0008.jpg

walpurgis
17-04-2013, 09:58
It's hard even thinking about another dog.

I lost our sweet Collie cross Sammie to old age and cancer a year and a half ago (I find it very sad just writing this). After some months, I realised the house just was not right without a pet, so I checked numerous re-homing sites looking for another pooch with little success, as I wanted a similar type of dog.

One day, just by chance on Gumtree I spotted a listing for a Lurcher in need of re-homing, so I went to look at him, he was nervous and half starved, but gentle. He chose me there and then.

Tippy (the name he came with) has been with me since July and is loved by the whole family. Sweet Sammie would never be forgotten, But Tippy is a joy to have and his future is now secure.

MartinT
17-04-2013, 10:04
My commiserations, Dave.

wiicrackpot
17-04-2013, 10:15
Just caught this, sorry to hear of your lost Dave, there's nothing i could add that others haven't said.

Maybe to say family and friends will help you through this, forget ''big boys don't cry'' sentiment, do so if you must, have a cuppa afterwards,
part of the process and you'll feel better for it. :(

shane
17-04-2013, 10:42
The curse of a long life is the shorter lives of those we love, but the benefit is to carry those memories for a few more years.

When I met my wife (a while ago now, today being our 31st wedding anniversary) she was living with her parents who had a Jack Russell puppy by the name of Baggage. Baggage grew up to be a cantankerous little bugger, but she would have defended us with her life and she was much loved. Just after we got married, Baggs produced three puppies of her own in Jane's bedroom. Two went to new homes but the little one, Trumps, stayed with us through moving into our first home, having our kids, all through their childhood and early teens, and through the passing of Jane's parents and of Baggage. In her later years, mindful of what lay ahead, we found her a companion in the shape of another Jack Russell puppy by the name of Tuggs. A mischevous soul, she revitalized Trumps' life and the two were inseparable until the inevitable day when I came down stairs to find one had woken up for breakfast but the other had not. After eighteen years, Trumpy was laid in the corner of our garden but the presence of Tuggs softened the blow and helped us move on with thanks to our friend. Now we find that Tuggs is greying round the muzzle and getting slower in her ways (as indeed am I!) and I wonder if we need to find her a young companion for her final years. If so, we will find a space in our hearts for a new young friend, but we will never forget our old companions.

It hurts when they go, but a life without pain as far worse than a life without love.

synsei
17-04-2013, 10:59
Guys I don't know what to say, I'm welling up here. You are all amazing and Myself, Jo and the kids thank you from the bottom of our hearts. There may be the tippy tap of tiny clawed feet on the kitchen floor sometime soon, I will keep you posted... :respect:

Barry
17-04-2013, 11:59
Sorry to hear of your loss Dave.

Can't add any more to what has already been said, save to encourage you to give a loving home to a new friend as soon as you feel able.

anthonyTD
17-04-2013, 12:21
Hi Dave,
Really sorry to hear this,:( it is heart breaking and many of us here know all too well how you must be feeling, my old collie cross was 17 when i had to make that decision, that was 10 years ago now, but still upsets me to think of it, we have another dog now who is approaching 15, and he is really showing his years now, i don't know how much longer he will go on, but they both had good lives, and that is the only way i can come to terms with having to let them go, my thoughts are with you.
Anthony,TD...

vouk
17-04-2013, 15:08
Terribly sorry for your loss Dave; don't really know what else to say - have dealt with such loss in my life and I know how much it hurts...

Mark Grant
17-04-2013, 17:57
Yesterday, after an excruciatingly terrible couple of weeks for us all here at 'synsei towers', it got even worse when we had to rush our beloved dog Tara to the vets after she collapsed at home. She was diagnosed with a runaway infection in her Uterus which flared up suddenly leaving her in a terrible state. There was nothing the vet could do for her and this evening at 7:25pm she passed peacefully into sleep for the final time. Farewell my furry friend, we all love and miss you very much... :(

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Tara.png (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/Tara.png.html)

Sorry to hear about the loss Dave :(

It's a while since our cat Oscar was put to sleep and I know how sad a time it is when a pets life ends.
We had owned him for about 12 years and he had moved house with us 3 times.

I bottled out and left the vets treatment room while the vet gave the injection, I felt so guilty afterwards for not holding Oscar while he went to sleep for the last time.
We still have his collar at the back of a cupboard somewhere and I cant ever throw it out.

Put me off owning pets for a long time as I could not face the loss again but now we have a Labrador puppy called Poppy that needs loving as she was the runt of the litter.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/poppy-DSC02358_2_zps1c9bcedc.jpg

When you and your wife are ready get another dog :)

Bazil
17-04-2013, 18:05
So sad , run free Tara http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy275/WeeLee45/regular_waving_emoticon.gif

Mark Grant
17-04-2013, 18:35
-------------------------------------------------------
The Ten Commandments from a dogs point of view:

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Regular separation from you will be painful and can even cause depression. Think before you buy me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me don't be impatient, short-tempered or irritable.

3. Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back, respect is earned not given as some sort of inalienable right.

4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. I am not capable of understanding why I am being locked up. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment and friends. I only have you.

5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your tone. "You only have to look at my tail" to know that.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget, if that treatment is unjust or bad, it may spoil the special bond between us.

7. Please do not hit me. I cannot hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I don't ever want to feel the need to do that.

8. Before you tell me off me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be wrong with me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food or I've been out in the sun too long, maybe my heart is getting old and weak, or maybe I'm just dog-tired.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and will also want care, love, and affection.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Stay with me until the last beat of my heart.

Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, Irrespective of what you do I will always love you.
------------------------------------------------------------------
:violin:

A bit soppy but dog owners will relate to it and number 10 is the hardest.

myles
17-04-2013, 19:20
Sad day amigo. My thoughts are with you.

wobbleu
17-04-2013, 19:24
Dave
Sorry for your loss, we lost our Dobe to lung cancer 18 months ago and it's still difficult at times - but like us you'll have treasured memories to hold on to, and you'll know you did the best thing for Tara when the time came.

Best wishes to you all, and happy times for when you're ready to introduce a new friend into your family.

Chris

synsei
17-04-2013, 23:00
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/poppy-DSC02358_2_zps1c9bcedc.jpg

Oh my God, how cute is she??? I bet she's a bundle of fun :D

We have more or less decided that we will be getting another furry friend although not until Tara is back in the house, which will take around ten days. It really wouldn't feel right to set things in motion before then. If it were just me I really don't think I could do it, I was with her when she went and I just fell apart on the spot. She trusted me to the end and I feel like such a rat, but Jo and the children are keen so for their sake I will find the strength.

What a marvellous bunch of warm and caring people you are. I am very proud to be associated with this forum and should we ever meet up, perhaps at Scalford one year for example, then the first round will be on me.

Thank you also to those who have PM'd me with messages of support. I promise I am not ignoring you all, it's just that the messages have been so moving that I have been unable to respond, I hope you understand...

lurcher
18-04-2013, 06:36
http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
18-04-2013, 11:29
Hi Dave

Just seen this thread.
I really feel for you, in your loss of Tara.
As a dog owner and lover myself I have been through losing a pet a few times now.
It never gets easy, I just contend with thinking about the great times we have had, and hope they are having a fantasic time wherever they are.
I too have the ashes at home. Sort of makes sence of things and something to pat on occasions and 'wish well'
My thoughts are with you.
Faye and Cookie (my 2 loopy Labs) are having a quiet thought for you. Though they did need a treat to convince them :)

Andy - SDDW

goraman
18-04-2013, 15:10
Hey Dave a couple items for your next trip into town.

Effem
18-04-2013, 15:29
Hey Dave a couple items for your next trip into town.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8867&d=1366297812

Is it any good at showjumping? :lol:

Marco
18-04-2013, 16:36
Lol... Imagine a burglar entering a house and being faced with *THAT*!! :eek: :eek:

Wet your pants and RUN.......

Marco.

archiesdad
18-04-2013, 20:02
Condolences from Archie and I, there is no better pal than "the dog".

Tarzan
19-04-2013, 11:23
Condolences from Archie and I, there is no better pal than "the dog".

x2

MikeMusic
19-04-2013, 14:31
Sorry to hear this Dave

I know how bad it can be having been there
Knocks you sideways and all other ways
Twice last year in our house :(

Eight times now. I miss them all