PDA

View Full Version : HMV now..

sparrow
16-04-2013, 16:46
Ok HMV has survived to a certain extent ..but my nearest one is gone..I was in the store in Stirling to pick up Bowies Alladdin Sane reissue. Didn't stock it although they had a relaese date in the Bowie section for the last three weeks. I was well pissed off. I have been a good customer over the years but although I'm happy they didn't fold altogether I'm giving up trailing into Stirling needlessly..I had a wee browse and their stock was dire. Same goes for the big store in Edinburgh which I gad the misfortune to enter last week:steam:

Amazon will get ALL my custom now..:)

Haselsh1
16-04-2013, 17:08
John, we have an HMV in the centre of town and its stock is appalling. All of my CD custom and most of my vinyl custom goes to Amazon now. By the way, it is illegal to deliberately mislead the public by advertising something you do not have. If that has happened here maybe a word should be had with trading standards.

Thing Fish
16-04-2013, 18:01
The vinyl section in HMV Oxford street is now a dwindling shadow of it's former self. It was always over priced anyway imho.

I was in there a few days ago to look for a book and that was also a sad state of affairs and a waste of time.

As I used to only buy vinyl and books from them there is no reason for me to go in there at all now...:(

I do think they are missing a trick with the whole vinyl thing. If they stocked all the new releases/reissues properly and had them at compedative prices their customer base would be much larger imho.

I was in Reckless and Sister Ray records the other day (just round the corner from HMV) and although they are much smaller shops you couldn't move for young people buying vinyl records...:eek:

DSJR
16-04-2013, 18:42
Maybe Richard branson should start up in vinyl records all over again like he once did - small but expert with stuff people actually want!

Thing Fish
16-04-2013, 18:56
Maybe Richard branson should start up in vinyl records all over again like he once did - small but expert with stuff people actually want!

Exactly David. He could call it 'Return of the Virgin'...:lol:

sparrow
16-04-2013, 18:59
In the Edinburgh store The Beatles stereo vinyl box was ...£440 on line you can find it for £220...if they dont improve a bit they will close altogether. If I'm honest I couldn't give a hoot.

Spectral Morn
16-04-2013, 19:11
Ok HMV has survived to a certain extent ..but my nearest one is gone..I was in the store in Stirling to pick up Bowies Alladdin Sane reissue. Didn't stock it although they had a relaese date in the Bowie section for the last three weeks. I was well pissed off. I have been a good customer over the years but although I'm happy they didn't fold altogether I'm giving up trailing into Stirling needlessly..I had a wee browse and their stock was dire. Same goes for the big store in Edinburgh which I gad the misfortune to enter last week:steam:

Amazon will get ALL my custom now..:)

I am quite sure that Ewan at Europa would have had it or got it for you and Europa is cheaper than HMV. Fine shop great staff use them or lose them and that in my opinion would be a terrible thing to happen.

Regards Neil

Thing Fish
16-04-2013, 19:12
In the Edinburgh store The Beatles stereo vinyl box was ...£440 on line you can find it for £220...if they dont improve a bit they will close altogether. If I'm honest I couldn't give a hoot.

You would think that they would have researched market prices. Surely they want to be competitive?

Obviously not and look where it got them...:lol:

Wakefield Turntables
16-04-2013, 19:25
Well the current owners also own HMV Canada and this is now turning a nice profit. I think its too early to start slagging off the new owners as they havent had time to implement any new strategies. I must concede that they need to start doing something soon or else will continue to slide down the swanny!!!!

Alex_UK
16-04-2013, 19:26
I very much doubt music will be part of their new strategy - but hope to be surprised!

Wakefield Turntables
16-04-2013, 19:42
I very much doubt music will be part of their new strategy - but hope to be surprised!

Well it should be because they are fooked with trying to sell gadgets and gismo's.

Puffin
16-04-2013, 20:11
They say that they still want the public to be able to buy music on the high street and they want to maintain a presence there. If that is the case then they had better start getting some decent stock in and ditch the tired "Sale" crap that they used to re-gurgitate a couple of times a year. All the usual old suspects from the last 40 years or more (yawn, yawn) They must pick them up for peanuts and should have made a good profit. However if others are as tired as me of seeing the same titles over and over again, it's no wonder that they were doomed. Same with racks and racks of back catalogue DVD's.

They used to have a very good jazz section in their larger stores. Over the years this was whittled down and down until it was merged with the MOR section (Middle of the Road - or read "Waiting to Die" music),says it all really. If you had an HMV token you could not redeem this at HMV on-line because this was a different company!!!FFS.

I tried to order a CD and put in the order, weeks later it had still not come in. I was finally told that the order had not even been sent off as they were waiting for more orders from this particular supplier as they had to have a minimum order number before they could do it.

How long do we give them???

Thing Fish
16-04-2013, 20:17
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l-4x00z9brY/UW2xqNNonkI/AAAAAAAABwk/7h--saHzv4k/w584-h428-p-o/Frazier-doomed.jpg

losenotaminute
16-04-2013, 20:44
The Fopp store in Edinburgh (part of HMV Group I think) used to have a reasonable amount of new vinyl at OK prices but since they went into administration they have received no new stock.

I gathered from speaking to the manager a few weeks ago that the only stock they have been sent is the easy to sell high turnover stuff, mainly because they didn't know if they would survive. Vinyl is actually one of the highest margin lines for them, but the necessities of of keeping the turnover going while in administration doesn't allow for anything but popular DVDs and chart music.

I used to prefer to buy new vinyl in a shop because I was worried about damage in the post, but my experience is that if you purchase from a decent online retailer it is cheaper and arrives in better quality because you don't have Jo Public handling it.

The last two albums I purchased from a store were damaged and I took them back for refunds. No problems so far buying online.

Lawrence

sparrow
17-04-2013, 08:52
I am quite sure that Ewan at Europa would have had it or got it for you and Europa is cheaper than HMV. Fine shop great staff use them or lose them and that in my opinion would be a terrible thing to happen.

Regards Neil

I spend loads in Europa..too much in fact. Ewan although a decent bloke is very dare I say greedy these days. I've seen people bring in maybe 30 or so cd's to sell and he offers peanuts. I've been frequenting his store for years and contributed to his retirement almost every week. Also his shop is a shambles..and has amongst decent stuff a helluva lot of dross. A French guy was in a few months ago and bought a load of cd's about £ 100 worth Ewan the owner refused to knock anything off. Whereas Jill or Alistar who only work there would have knocked a tenner off at least..also he puts stuff on the racks that should be going in a skip.

Concerto Audio
17-04-2013, 11:11
I still goes to HMV Westfield to buy cds.
I used to buy loads of cds from Amazon but bit hesitant to buy now after reading an articles in one of the Weekend magazines about their treatment of employees.

The Black Adder
19-04-2013, 07:55
How long shall we give HMV from now? - I'd say a year before the wolves start to circle, again...

Sounds like they just had a hair cut... nothing has changed, same prices, same stock.

Same unenthusiastic staff who tap on phones rather than help the customer. A friend of mine was told to download what he wanted a few months ago in HMV.. so he did. He then bought the album from Amazon.

Spectral Morn
19-04-2013, 09:27
I spend loads in Europa..too much in fact. Ewan although a decent bloke is very dare I say greedy these days. I've seen people bring in maybe 30 or so cd's to sell and he offers peanuts. I've been frequenting his store for years and contributed to his retirement almost every week. Also his shop is a shambles..and has amongst decent stuff a helluva lot of dross. A French guy was in a few months ago and bought a load of cd's about £ 100 worth Ewan the owner refused to knock anything off. Whereas Jill or Alistar who only work there would have knocked a tenner off at least..also he puts stuff on the racks that should be going in a skip.

Hi John

The shop certainly isn't perfect and needs a route and branch tidy up but that's easier said than done as doing so would mean closing and in this day and age any reduction in cash flow is damaging even if in the long term you might and I say might improve things.

The simple fact of the matter is CDs have no value now days unless they are rare collectors items. The cold hard reality is that S/H Cds don't sell like they used to, and buying any in is a risk - even stuff that once upon a time sold well may not now. Back catalogue stock is important but stock that doesn't sell just sitting on the racks represents thousands of pounds just sitting doing nothing and this is a hard thing to provide and while I personally appreciate a good back catalogue stock I know it hurts to offer this. I think we all have ideas what our stuff is worth, what we would like it to be worth but most often we are wrong - that's just a commercial reality and I would say that Ewan is not ripping anyone off and yes I know how much we may have paid for them originally but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

What is and isn't commercially viable re stock on the shelves is I am afraid down to the store owner to decide and his business model, what you or I think of some of it..... well frankly if we don't work there its hard for us to really be in a position to be critical as we just are not in a position to know what sells day to day - though there is certainly some stuff there that I too feel shouldn't be.

HMV have never given me a discount, they don't care a jot about me or any of their customers whereas independents do and I have had a discount from Ewan and his other staff the few times I have visited the shop but equally at other times I haven't and I understand that while its nice to get a discount that isn't always possible - so I neither demand or expect to get one. Bottom line is I would give Ewan my money any time of the day but HMV no I wouldn't. I feel cool towards them and only buy from them when it suits me.

I like Ewan, I like his staff and despite its short comings I like the shop too, so I for one hope he is there and in business for many years to come and I look forward to being in it again in the future.

Regards Neil

pjdowns
24-04-2013, 20:15
I am feel people are being a little harsh, HMV have only recently come out of administration so we should give them a little time before bashing them.

Remember, they have been sold to a company that understand and have been successful in the market, but the will be unable to turn the business around over night.

I for one was unhappy when they went into administration because, whilst they don't always have everything I look for, they have a reasonable selection and I am a large fan of they're Swap Shop where I have been lucky to pick up a few gems at £2 a shot.

Paul.

MartinT
25-04-2013, 07:38
The vinyl section in the Basingstoke branch (one of the rescued) has a reasonable selection of goodies and at least exists, which it didn't just over a year ago. I like browsing there when I'm in town but I would never expect them to have anything in particular in stock, either on vinyl or CD. If I want to order something, I'll go to Amazon!

They should get rid of the white goods shite immediately and remember what their core business is.

Films and drama are here to stay so they could do a lot to improve it, for instance by merging DVD and Blu-ray into a single A-Z section and stop treating Blu-ray as if it was an 'expensive option'. Jeez, you can put a Blu-ray player in with your spuds in the supermarket trolley these days! Ditch DVD where they have dual stock and price Blu-rays down to DVD level.

Make more of it being a music store. Build a small stage where the Apple shite used to be and feature live music and signings. Have a DJ at other times to talk about and play good music. How much does a keen out of work student cost, compared with the potential draw on customers? I don't mean to make the shops loud and off-putting, but I remember what a great place the Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street was in the 1980s.

pjdowns
26-04-2013, 10:57
The vinyl section in the Basingstoke branch (one of the rescued) has a reasonable selection of goodies and at least exists, which it didn't just over a year ago. I like browsing there when I'm in town but I would never expect them to have anything in particular in stock, either on vinyl or CD. If I want to order something, I'll go to Amazon!

They should get rid of the white goods shite immediately and remember what their core business is.

Films and drama are here to stay so they could do a lot to improve it, for instance by merging DVD and Blu-ray into a single A-Z section and stop treating Blu-ray as if it was an 'expensive option'. Jeez, you can put a Blu-ray player in with your spuds in the supermarket trolley these days! Ditch DVD where they have dual stock and price Blu-rays down to DVD level.

Make more of it being a music store. Build a small stage where the Apple shite used to be and feature live music and signings. Have a DJ at other times to talk about and play good music. How much does a keen out of work student cost, compared with the potential draw on customers? I don't mean to make the shops loud and off-putting, but I remember what a great place the Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street was in the 1980s.

Martin,

My nearest remaining HMV stores are in Basingstoke and Reading;

Reference the white goods, I quite agree and from what I have seen in the press that is exactly the new owners intention so returning the business to it's core market, removing white goods or at least reducing them significantly.

As per my comment above my favourite aspect of the business recently has been the Swap Shop, which I hope they'll keep going. It enables anyone to sell those CD's or DVD's they bought on a whim (which weren't very good, we all do it) for a pound. But what's even better is that, what one person doesn't like, another loves and I've been really surprised what I've been able to pick up at £2 a go.

Paul.

MartinT
26-04-2013, 11:26
I should take some of my dross (Rufus Wainwright and Joanna Newsom, anyone?) there and pick up some bargains.

Chunky70
28-04-2013, 07:21
Am i right in thinking that the only HMV store left in scotland is the Livingston one? That's a shocker if true!

losenotaminute
28-04-2013, 07:39
Am i right in thinking that the only HMV store left in scotland is the Livingston one? That's a shocker if true!

The Edinburgh Princes Street store is still open, as is Fopp on Rose Street.

Chunky70
28-04-2013, 07:47
Are those stores staying open Lawrence? Spoke to a member of staff few months back and he said that all edinburgh stores were closing!

losenotaminute
28-04-2013, 07:54
Are those stores staying open Lawrence? Spoke to a member of staff few months back and he said that all edinburgh stores were closing!

AFAIK, yes. I was told that the Princes Street store was on the list that were being kept. I bought some vinyl a week or two back and the shop assistant said they were going to try and expand their choice. At the moment they have about a dozen items only!

I'm not totally sure about Fopp, but I was in there just yesterday and it looked like they were staying open.

Chunky70
28-04-2013, 08:02
That's great news if they do stay open. Fopp is my favorite store. Used to love there £5 cd selection. Would go in with 20 quid and come out with 4 classics! Hope there stock improves soon!

MartinT
28-04-2013, 10:33
At the moment they have about a dozen items only!

Interesting, I think the Basingstoke branch must have a manager who's keen on vinyl. I counted over 100 titles last time I was there.

sparrow
28-04-2013, 10:37

nah theres a few still open..Stirling survived but my nearest and dearest in Falkirk is gone.:(

Chunky70
28-04-2013, 13:47
Edinburgh Princes Street on this closure list:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/table/2013/feb/07/hmv-stores-closed-full-list

losenotaminute
28-04-2013, 14:02
Edinburgh Princes Street on this closure list:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/table/2013/feb/07/hmv-stores-closed-full-list

That's really odd. On the one hand the date of the article is over two monts ago and hasn't been revised.

On the other hand it is in the Guardian, so like the rest of their output is riddled with errors.

Next time I go in I'll ask again.

Post Script - that list was produced by the administrators before the company was bought out of administration, so it may be that the new owners have decided to give Edinburgh a reprieve.

The Grand Wazoo
28-04-2013, 14:07
No need for all this uncertainty surely, when their website has a store locator? (http://www.hmv.co.uk/store-locator/)

losenotaminute
28-04-2013, 14:10
No need for all this uncertainty surely, when their website has a store locator? (http://www.hmv.co.uk/store-locator/)

It's not quite that simple. The Edinburgh store is definitely open for the time being, the question is whether it is just running down stock and will close, or has a long-term future.

The Grand Wazoo
28-04-2013, 14:13
Ah OK, sorry - I stand corrected.

sparrow
28-04-2013, 15:31
I was in the Edinburgh store a couple of weeks ago. They had a big poster in the window stating ''Were here to stay'' their landlord has given them a better deal for the very big unit and also realised that if they closed there would be a few less punters venturing into the city as there was no music shop nearby. It was very poor when I ventured in but they are supposed to be getting loads more new stock.

Rare Bird
28-04-2013, 15:33
Sorry but my buisness goes to Amazon everytime..

sparrow
28-04-2013, 18:21
Sorry but my buisness goes to Amazon everytime..

Me too online at least I gave up on HMV.com a while ago..however me still likes to go into the shops left and buy music even if theres nought I fancy I manage to get something..tho sometimes its shite.:lol:

Audioman
29-04-2013, 18:13
It was announced a few weeks ago that the new owners have reprieved the remaining stores set for closure by the administrators.

Barry
30-04-2013, 18:51
Popped into HMV in Llandudno recently. Saw nothing to make me think they will not go out of business within a year or maybe 18 months.

They really need to work out their business plan and decide if they want to sell music, film, books, or computer ephemera.

sparrow
30-04-2013, 20:21
Spent £90 on cd's in the Stirling store today..all new releases bar two..was ok but they need to get more back catalogue stuff out there..

Barry
01-05-2013, 18:19
Spent £90 on cd's in the Stirling store today..all new releases bar two..was ok but they need to get more back catalogue stuff out there..

Agreed - the back catalogue stock is poor.

pjdowns
22-07-2013, 17:27
I've given up on HMV now they've decided to get rid of the Swap/Shop so have taken my trade across to That's Entertainment instead :)

sparrow
23-07-2013, 09:51
The Stirling shop has rally picked up and has loads more stock and are putting more racks up soon...the staff are really friendly and although not perfect its almost back to what it was 5 years ago which was a decent store..

Thing Fish
23-07-2013, 15:27
The one in London (oxford street) is stocking vinyl again but their prices are still sadly too high.