PDA

View Full Version : If you were spending on my system, what would you do?

AlexM
13-04-2013, 20:07
Hi,

I may be in the fortunate position to make a significant investment in my system in the near future. I have the opportunity of a great deal on a new power amplifier, which is sorely tempting me. If it is as good as I suspect it may be, it will probably be an amp for forever.

I am probably going to be almost exclusively using file-based sources in the future as I am currently using the SB/Cambridge DAC 90% of the time.

Here is the system in question:

Vinyl: SL1200 Mk.2/ Jelco SA750-D + Oyaide carbon headshell + Benz Micro Ace SM cartridge

CD: Cambridge Audio Azur 851C CD Player/DAC + Squeezebox Touch

Amplification: C-J PV-15 preamp with upgraded caps, Rogue Audio Stereo 90 power amp

Speakers: Avalon NP Evolution 2.0

If you were in my shoes, where would you be spending?. I reserve the right to ignore all advice, no matter how sensible or excellent it may be :lol:, but I'm all ears :)

Cheers,
Alex

Ali Tait
13-04-2013, 20:10
What's the amp offered?

Alex_UK
13-04-2013, 21:53
My advice - buy more music! ;)

(You've got a great system already, and spending more will only be titivation (that is surely one of the best words in the English language?) Well, that's what I would do anyroadup!)

John
13-04-2013, 21:56
Hear a few different systems get a sense of what you really want to achieve

Stratmangler
13-04-2013, 22:14
How "standard" is the SL-1200?

Haselsh1
13-04-2013, 23:01
My advice - buy more music! ;)

(You've got a great system already, and spending more will only be titivation (that is surely one of the best words in the English language?) Well, that's what I would do anyroadup!)

Titter ye not... missus...!

Macca
14-04-2013, 08:11
Bigger loudspeakers. If your room can take them. If not, bigger room...

AlexM
14-04-2013, 12:00
What's the amp offered?

It's a Conrad Johnson valve power amp. As good as my Rogue Stereo 90 is, this thing is from a different tier altogether.

I like my Avalons very much and they are well matched to the room. A new room is out of budget!.I must try to get a listen to some other speakers to see what matches my tastes and preferences. I might be interested in an active setup, but I like what valves do for me so much....

The vinyl side is becoming a legacy source for me now, so I don't anticipate spending much more on my techie, bar the od tone arm cable, mat or psu. The digital side sounds pretty fan good as it is, and its competitive with anything else I have heard. I'm sure it could be bettered but the improvements are always fairly marginal above a point (IMHO).

I have access to more music than I could listen to, so that isn't a competitor for the money really.

in terms of my approach to audio, I'm not really a die had tweaker, and I generally don't chop and change my system components often. I suppose that says that I am quite satisfied with the sound I'm getting, which is good, but I think it could be improved a bit.

keep the suggestions coming....

cheers,
Alex

Ali Tait
14-04-2013, 12:28
I'd probably get the amp, if you like it that much and it works well with your speakers in your room, then go for the best dac you can.

AlexM
14-04-2013, 13:00
need to arrange a home dem before making any firm decision, but they are very nice piece, one of c-j's best, and the price is very good albeit still cripplingly expensive!.

walpurgis
14-04-2013, 14:15
Why not give yourself a challenge?

Start all over again on the bottom rung with a period system. Maybe a Garrard SP25 III with Acos GP94 ceramic cartridge, Teleton SAQ206 amp and a pair of Wharfedale Denton II speakers.

It might be horrendous, but think of the upgrading targets you could set yourself aiming at each higher level.

AlexM
14-04-2013, 16:27
that's quite lateral!

walpurgis
15-04-2013, 19:51
that's quite lateral!

Could be fun Alex (or a disaster)!

At least it'd be cheap.

I see Andr'e has adopted a back to basics philosophy with his listening.

AlexM
16-04-2013, 14:56
So.... I've decided to go with the C-J power amp.

I will soon be the proud owner of a LP-125se, a new C-J model for this year with 8x KT120s, a 12AU7 and 6N30P drivers in a stereo chassis. I shouldn't need to be putting on the heating so much next winter :)

My Rogue Audio Stereo 90 will up for sale soon. It is an excellent unit, and it will be priced to sell!.

I'm very excited about my purchase, and will tell all when it arrives.

Regards,
Alex

falcoron
16-04-2013, 15:20
think you had your mind made up before you asked, but getting a CJ amp to match the pre would have been my choice, but i have always found that speakers then pre amp give the biggest change, cd, dacs and power amps can change the system but in a smaller degree, thats what i have found over the years, others may well dissagree.
Enjoy!

AlexM
16-04-2013, 15:53
I love my preamp, so I guess it was always going to come down to a decision about investing in source components. If I had a different listening environment, then I would probably looking at speakers in preference to amplification. I love what the Avalons do, and they are stupidly good for an 'entry level' model. Their sins are mainly of omission and not commission, and they are easily good enough and transparent enough to benefit from an upgrade to electronics. My dream speaker could well be something like the Avalon Transcendent or Time, but sadly they will remain out of reach financially. There are so many options that I may well review my options over the coming years.

The Stereo 90 is an excellent power amp and have very good price/performance (as have all Rogue Audio products). It works very well with KT120s, which did give me cause to think about how good an amp designed around them could be. That is what I shall have shortly, and I am expecting great things.

The power rating of 125w into 4ohms is quite conservative for the output tubes, so tube life and dynamics should be good.

Cheers,
A.