PDA

View Full Version : Record / LP values ?

Audio Al
12-04-2013, 21:28
Now my record collection is growing :)

I was curious to see if any I have ( inc James Last ) are worth more that 50p purchased from the TAT sale

Are record value book available ?

The Grand Wazoo
12-04-2013, 21:51
This is useful (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popsike.com%2F&ei=V4FoUZDSJqW10QWlooDgAg&usg=AFQjCNHY594u19WCBNzrv08GZ2MofBkUdg&bvm=bv.45175338,d.d2k) - average prices of recent sales.
Watch out for provenance of the disc and the region you and they might be in though.

And don't bet yer house on what they say!

Marco
12-04-2013, 21:52
Al, Discogs is your friend: http://www.discogs.com/

Simply type in the album and artist and you'll get a list of other albums the same that are for sale, which will give you an idea of the value of what you've got :)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
12-04-2013, 21:54
The trouble with Discogs is that it reflects prices being asked - you can ask what you like but it doesn't mean that you'll get it. Popsike (which I linked to) accumulates actual prices achieved in real sales.

Marco
12-04-2013, 22:00
Yeah, sure, Chris. I find it useful to use both :)

I also buy quite a lot of vinyl from Discogs. I find the descriptions are usually pretty accurate, as sellers are generally genuine music enthusiasts and have a good handle on what stuff is worth. Much safer there than on ebay!

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
12-04-2013, 22:07
Discogs definitely has it's uses.
Also if you don't mind spending some time on a forum (ahem!), then you could do worse that to join The Record Collectors Guild (http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/)

keiths
12-04-2013, 22:40
Another vote for Discogs. Once you've looked up your record on Discogs, you can click on an 'add to collection' button thereby building up a list of the records you own - which is useful to access from your mobile whilst out shopping to prevent you inadvertantly buying duplicates. Also, when viewing your collection on Discogs, you can view it in 'stats' mode which shows you minimum, mean and maximum values for each record and your complete collection based on the last 10 actual sales of that record on Discogs.

Barry
13-04-2013, 01:26
Welcome to 'The Mutual Masturbation Club'! I buy records because I like what’s on them - the music, not for what they may be worth, now or later.

Audio Al
13-04-2013, 06:34
'The Mutual Masturbation Club':eek: Barry , best to keep your other ;) past times a secret :D

I buy records because I like what’s on them - the music So do I :)

not for what they may be worth, now or later

Barry, how do you put a value on your collection for home insurance purposes?

Audio Al
13-04-2013, 08:49
:scratch:

I don't seem to have a " Add to collection option " :scratch:

Community
[Artist Code] [m88610]
4.51 / 5 (39 ratings)
216 have this
130 want this

:scratch::scratch:

keiths
13-04-2013, 09:50
:scratch:

I don't seem to have a " Add to collection option " :scratch:

Al, you need to register at Discogs and be logged in to get the 'add to collection' button...

keiths
13-04-2013, 09:59
:eek: Barry , best to keep your other ;) past times a secret :D

So do I :)

...and me. I only went the Discogs collection route to build a catalogue so I wouldn't duplicate purchases.

Qwin
13-04-2013, 11:17
Record collectors guide prices seem all over the place and on the optimistic side. Their grading system is crap as well, anything less than exelent plus just isn't worth playing. To me something described as good or very good should be just that, not an ash tray.

eBay completed listings shows what people have payed recently for similar items, its a fair guide but you do get the odd bidding battle on highly collectable items and the price goes through the roof, so take an average of several prices and note the condition as well.

I have found genuine collectable items (1st press Revolver, Rubber Soul, Dusty in Memphis) cheaper at comercial record shops, than either of the two sources above would have sugested. Some of the dealers are just after making a reasonable living rather than taking your back teeth.

So at the end of the day a record is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I like to go into a negotiation, weather it be bidding on ebay, barterring at a dealers, or market stall, with a good idea of what a fair market price for the item would be.

PS. Totaly ignor OXFAM prices they seem to be about double what anything is worth, ie what they can be purchased for at a dealers. I recently wrote a letter of complaint to Oxfam and quoted examples of items, prices and their shops and then the location nearby where I had bought similar items in better condition for half the price and also more collectable versions, like 1st pressing rather than their 2nd pressing. Got a standard reply saying they have experienced valuers using the record collectors guide - bull.
I now boycot anything to do with Oxfam and am surprised how many people have done the same.

Insurance valuation, I do not believe, to be a problem, most insurers will cover individual items up to £1000. So unless you have some real gems your collection is a bunch of individual items, each lower than that value. Its the value at the time of the theft that is important, as a replacement cost.
When I had my CD collection stolen several years ago, I had to give details of every item taken so a good record (Pun intended) of your collection is advisable and for any special items make a note of the matrix numbers etc.

Macca
13-04-2013, 12:42
I do like to entertain the fantasy that one day I can sell my most valuable records and retire to the Caribbean on the small fortune they will make. If I am living in the Caribbean I will be quite happy to slum it with the CD instead ;)

Rare Bird
13-04-2013, 16:12
Yer money is in obscure Prog/Psych

Audio Al
13-04-2013, 21:20
Al, you need to register at Discogs and be logged in to get the 'add to collection' button...

Keith

I have registered and logged in , even logged out and in again , still no option to add to my collection :scratch:

Mr Kipling
13-04-2013, 21:44
Keith

I have registered and logged in , even logged out and in again , still no option to add to my collection :scratch:

Mustn't want ya TAT!!

Only joking, Al. Only joking.

Audio Al
13-04-2013, 21:46
:D
Mustn't want ya TAT!!

Only joking, Al. Only joking.

:D

keiths
13-04-2013, 21:51
Keith

:scratch: it should be on the right hand side of the release page - next to "xx have this"

Will post a screen-shot later or tomorrow (out at the moment)

Cheers,
Keith

The Black Adder
13-04-2013, 21:58
Discogs is great but do be aware that some sellers do take the piss in regards to asking prices as what has happened to me recently...

The Grand Wazoo
13-04-2013, 23:55

Yep, you've been blackballed mate!

Marco
13-04-2013, 23:58
Haha, no wonder with some of that pishanto he buys!! :lol:

;)

Marco.

Audio Al
14-04-2013, 05:11
All I have is this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2321-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigboobs/media/IMG_2321-1.jpg.html)

??????????:scratch:

keiths
14-04-2013, 11:54
Al, your photo shows the 'master release' page for a recording. You need to go to the specific page for the actual release of the record you want to add - it's this page that has the elusive 'add to collection' button.

Cheers,
Keith

Audio Al
14-04-2013, 14:50
Al, your photo shows the 'master release' page for a recording. You need to go to the specific page for the actual release of the record you want to add - it's this page that has the elusive 'add to collection' button.

Cheers,
Keith

Thanks Keith , I think I have it :doh: , not very easy to do when you dont understand the software format :scratch:

keiths
14-04-2013, 16:05
Nice one Al.

Once you've added some, click on "My Discogs" then "Collection" to view:

http://www.simister.com/public/discogs/discogs1.jpg

Click on this icon to change to "Stats" view:

http://www.simister.com/public/discogs/discogs2.jpg

You can sort by value (high to low or low to high) by clicking the column titles:

http://www.simister.com/public/discogs/discogs3.jpg

rusty bearing
14-04-2013, 16:19
Ta Keith, I've been on Discogs the last six months and never knew you could do that.......

Audioman
14-04-2013, 17:33
Nice one Al.

Once you've added some, click on "My Discogs" then "Collection" to view:

http://www.simister.com/public/discogs/discogs1.jpg

Click on this icon to change to "Stats" view:

http://www.simister.com/public/discogs/discogs2.jpg

You can sort by value (high to low or low to high) by clicking the column titles:

http://www.simister.com/public/discogs/discogs3.jpg

Hell Freezes Over - another album in my collection now fetching stupid money !!!

Thing Fish
14-04-2013, 17:52
I decided to set up an account and see what all the fuss is about.

I tried to find 4 of my albums and it failed to find 3 of them?

Waste of time. Unless i'm doing something wrong...:scratch:

Audio Al
14-04-2013, 17:57
Waste of time. Unless i'm doing something wrong...

Its not easy software to us , I can handle most puter things but struggled for hours with this :mental:

Thing Fish
14-04-2013, 18:06
I've just found one of them. It seems you have to be quite accurate as to what you type in...:doh:

Only 600+ to go...:eyebrows:

keiths
14-04-2013, 18:15
I decided to set up an account and see what all the fuss is about.

I tried to find 4 of my albums and it failed to find 3 of them?

Waste of time. Unless i'm doing something wrong...:scratch:

Hmm. Of the 865 currently in my collection, it found all but 82 of them. Of the 82 that I had to contribute myself, 65 were 'classical' - so for other genrés, i seem to have a good sucess in finding recordings already in the database.

What were the 4 releases you tried to find?

keiths
14-04-2013, 18:21
I've just found one of them. It seems you have to be quite accurate as to what you type in...:doh:

Only 600+ to go...:eyebrows:

I always start off by entering the catalogue number first.

Rare Bird
14-04-2013, 20:36
Don't always be fooled by 1st issues etc.. I found that many re-issues sound better for a hell of a difference in asking price. However your either a music lover or a collector!

wiicrackpot
15-04-2013, 07:51
Now my record collection is growing :)

I was curious to see if any I have ( inc James Last ) are worth more that 50p purchased from the TAT sale
Don't laugh Al, his stuff with Cleo Laine is very good, i am talking about 60's stuff before her dooby...dooby...doop...doop and his Zzzzz....inducing TV stuff of the 70's.

PS. Totally ignore OXFAM prices they seem to be about double what anything is worth, ie what they can be purchased for at a dealers. I recently wrote a letter of complaint to Oxfam and quoted examples of items, I now boycot anything to do with Oxfam and am surprised how many people have done the same.
Browsed at the Great Western Rd branch in Glasgow many years ago and noticed the vastly inflated prices,
asked the young assistant how they came about the prices and she gave me a Glaikit look and got a senior member,
he said they have a guide and thats what it's based on with a sharp take it or leave it response,
i left it and never set foot on a Oxfam shop again. :steam:

Keith
Thanks, will register and hope i get on better due to Al highlighting the probs. :)

Audio Al
15-04-2013, 16:56
I got so :steam: off with Discogs I sent a message through the web site

and had this reply

"
Discogs Diognes_The_Fox
15-Apr-13 09:07 AM
Hi there,

There were some server issues that were hopefully resolved over the weekend. Our apologies about the inconvenience. Let us know if it's still an issue.

Respectfully,

Brent "

Hopefully it may work better now , will try again tonight

zygote23
15-04-2013, 17:27
Discogs gimped out big time last week. All seems back to normality now though.

wiicrackpot
15-04-2013, 20:42
Don't laugh Al, his stuff with Cleo Laine is very good, i am talking about 60's stuff before her dooby...dooby...doop...doop and his Zzzzz....inducing TV stuff of the 70's.
Sorry Al, it wasn't James Last i was thinking about, it was James Galway :o, she also worked with John Williams if i remember.