PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Cheap amp that can swing a LOT of current

Idlewithnodrive
09-04-2013, 08:33
Hello chaps,

I am looking for a cheap (£200'ish) amp that will be capable of driving my LINN Sara's, which basically means a BIG current swing.

So, reasonably powerful but more importantly than outright power is the ability to double that output from 8 into 4 Ohms.

I know it's a big ask, for next to no money, but it's an experiment as I don't even know if I will be keeping the Sara's yet.

So chaps, what have you, or can you recommend ?

Thanks for your help.

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2013, 08:37
That's a stiff challenge with that budget Mike, good luck!

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2013, 08:40
There was a similar question not long ago (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22797) on AoS, but the budget was a good bit higher. It may give you some ideas though.

Idlewithnodrive
09-04-2013, 08:58
That's a stiff challenge with that budget Mike, good luck!

I actually think it's going to be pretty impossible tbh Chris :rolleyes:

The Sony ES is doing a pretty good job but I am sure I can do better.

It will be a toss up between the Sara's and my Minstrels. Even with the Sony I think the Sara's are edging it :) but we'll see.

wiicrackpot
09-04-2013, 09:00
There was guy called RobsterD selling a Crown Macro DC300a over at the Wam not long ago,
think he was wanting more than £200.00 but it sat for quite a while unsold despite all the usual Sausage Jockeys keep coming on bumping it up for him,
maybe worth a offer if you could stretch it a wee bit, totally upgraded with boutique parts and bigger capacitors as far as i can remember,
not that it needs it as it's a stonking amp in stock form with massive current delivery.

wii.

Idlewithnodrive
09-04-2013, 09:24
There was guy called RobsterD selling a Crown Macro DC300a over at the Wam not long ago,
think he was wanting more than £200.00 but it sat for quite a while unsold despite all the usual Sausage Jockeys keep coming on bumping it up for him,
maybe worth a offer if you could stretch it a wee bit, totally upgraded with boutique parts and bigger capacitors as far as i can remember,
not that it needs it as it's a stonking amp in stock form with massive current delivery.

wii.

I've got a (rather knackered cosmetically) DC300A winging it's way to me, which I am hoping will do the job short term at least, but it is so poor cosmetically that it is unlikely it will stay (unless I can hide it) :)

DSJR
09-04-2013, 09:32
Sausage jockies? I'll have you know the DC300A, which predates the macro models, is STILL a bloody good reference grade power amp and was regarded at the time as a bit of an animal, now selling for £400 or so. The lower models current-limited into 4 ohm loads, so wouldn't be suitable... HiFi dave has all three from this era, a D-60, D-150 and a 300A and the latter two in stereo form are still really good, the D-60 un-bridged a bit too low powered and brickwall-clipped for heavy use these days.

The Nytech 252 receiver drives Saras with no difficulty (done it!) as does the Nait 1 and 2, although there's no headroom and soft-clipping rules the day. The A&R A60 may blow fuses though as the output stage is a bit limited.

One final one from me - Bang & Olufsen Beolab 5000 from the late 60's. Still good sound once restored (not as bad with cap-ageing as one would think) and I HAVE heard one sounding great into Saras too :lol:

wiicrackpot
09-04-2013, 10:37
I've got a (rather knackered cosmetically) DC300A winging it's way to me, which I am hoping will do the job short term at least, but it is so poor cosmetically that it is unlikely it will stay (unless I can hide it) :)
Yeah, doesn't matter what the cosmetics look like, it should do the job well, keep the Sara's, i know there are detractors out there but good fun in a fruity way. :)

Sausage Jockies? I'll have you know the DC300A, which predates the macro models, is STILL a bloody good reference grade power amp and was regarded at the time as a bit of an animal, now selling for £400 or so. The lower models current-limited into 4 ohm loads, so wouldn't be suitable... HiFi dave has all three from this era, a D-60, D-150 and a 300A and the latter two in stereo form are still really good, the D-60 un-bridged a bit too low powered and brickwall-clipped for heavy use these days.

The Nytech 252 receiver drives Saras with no difficulty (done it!) as does the Nait 1 and 2, although there's no headroom and soft-clipping rules the day. The A&R A60 may blow fuses though as the output stage is a bit limited.

One final one from me - Bang & Olufsen Beolab 5000 from the late 60's. Still good sound once restored (not as bad with cap-ageing as one would think) and I HAVE heard one sounding great into Saras too :lol:
Yes Dave, the term i would use for a few of those Teepee bum chums, they're so up each others arses they are what i would term ''Sausage Jockeys''. :D

Good post BTW with all the alternatives for Mike. :)

dgdgdgdgdg
09-04-2013, 16:24
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9927&highlight=williams

This of any interest?

also read here:-
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9820&page=2&highlight=williams+audio

see post 13

Dont know what postage from Dublin would be though yet?

DSJR
09-04-2013, 22:43
Yeah, doesn't matter what the cosmetics look like, it should do the job well, keep the Sara's, i know there are detractors out there but good fun in a fruity way. :)

Yes Dave, the term i would use for a few of those Teepee bum chums, they're so up each others arses they are what i would term ''Sausage Jockeys''. :D

Good post BTW with all the alternatives for Mike. :)

I understand now ;)

walpurgis
09-04-2013, 22:55
Have a browse on eBay for DJ amps they tend to be reasonably priced. Some of them sound good and deliver a lot of poke! Just check reviews.

istari_knight
09-04-2013, 23:46
Yup, I'd be looking for something from HH for under £200 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-V800-Power-Amplifier-/111041217458?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item19da9283b2

2x200w that doubles into 4ohms :eyebrows:

These are supposed to be alright, only a little over budget too! http://www.bkelec.com/Pro/Amplifiers/Mxf400.htm

Idlewithnodrive
10-04-2013, 07:43
Thanks for the input chaps.

Not overly keen on the DJ Amps though, as I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one.

DSJR
10-04-2013, 07:51
This is the trouble, sadly. HH have made some excellent, stable and VERY long lasting amps, the smaller models being quite simple, relatively speaking. I use a VX300 which is 100WPC into 8 ohms and 150WPC into 4 ohms. Most un-audiophool-like, it's filtered top and bottom quite steeply, but at least it should prevent damage to irreplaceable main drivers. The bigger ones should be alright too.

I haven't tried one, but didn't Behringer do an "A500-esque" amp for this kind of money that when compared "blind" to an exalted thingy was found to be indistinguishable?