PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear what happened to my cartridge?

The Count
08-04-2013, 19:26
Settled down to listen to a Mahler 10 LP on Saturday. Lovely lovely until half way through the side it started to sound iffy, then awful. A quick inspection showed the cartridge dragging it's backside along the LP :( I repeated it again the next day and it was just clearing the record but quickly started to sag onto it.

Does this sound like the suspension has gone? The cartridge is a Dynavector 10X5, it is fairly new - still under 100 hours but out of warranty so I wondered if this was repairable and if so whether that is expensive and who can repair these things?

Any help appreciated...

losenotaminute
08-04-2013, 19:29
Settled down to listen to a Mahler 10 LP on Saturday. Lovely lovely until half way through the side it started to sound iffy, then awful. A quick inspection showed the cartridge dragging it's backside along the LP :( I repeated it again the next day and it was just clearing the record but quickly started to sag onto it.

Does this sound like the suspension has gone? The cartridge is a Dynavector 10X5, it is fairly new - still under 100 hours but out of warranty so I wondered if this was repairable and if so whether that is expensive and who can repair these things?

Any help appreciated...

I'm certainly no expert but I would have thought the suspension has gone and it would be repairable. I hear good things about :

http://northwestanalogue.weebly.com/

You can send it for an inspection and they only charge if you have it repaired.

Lawrence

Mr Kipling
08-04-2013, 19:48
Err. . . Out for the. . . count, you might say.

The Count
08-04-2013, 20:51
Err. . . Out for the. . . count, you might say.

:lol: So it was you who stole my dad's joke book :lol:

The Count
08-04-2013, 20:53
I'm certainly no expert but I would have thought the suspension has gone and it would be repairable. I hear good things about :

http://northwestanalogue.weebly.com/

You can send it for an inspection and they only charge if you have it repaired.

Lawrence

Cheers. The website says there is a £60 inspection charge :( Sounds reasonable enough but for a 10X5 it could end up costing more than its worth :scratch:

Bit gutted about this.

losenotaminute
08-04-2013, 21:07
Cheers. The website says there is a £60 inspection charge :( Sounds reasonable enough but for a 10X5 it could end up costing more than its worth :scratch:

Bit gutted about this.

Indeed, you could give them a ring and see what they advise? They were very helpful last time I rang, with plenty of good advice.

Audio Al
09-04-2013, 01:37
Have you checked the tracking weight ?

trio leo
09-04-2013, 11:36
Exactly the same thing happened to me with my Ortofon MC30 Super, listening one minute, disaster the next.
I sent it to NWA and Dominic told me unfortunately it was beyond repair.

He will be straight with you and if it can be repaired he will do it to his best ability. He's very enthusiastic about cartridges.

I think Dynavector give a 25% trade in discount as well.

regards Al

Ali Tait
09-04-2013, 13:31
Dom's a good guy, he'll be honest with you.

The Count
09-04-2013, 18:33
Thanks guys. I've emailed Dom and am waiting for him to get in touch.

Good point also re trade in. Turntableworld are doing a 10X5 for £249 with one to exchange - I make that about 30% discount. Still not as cheap as second hand of course. Which gets me tempted to look at more expensive carts, must...not...have...bad...thoughts :)

Johnnie7
10-04-2013, 11:31
if it has only done 100 hours its worth speaking to the dealer you bought it from

how long ago did u buy it?

The Count
13-04-2013, 10:00
if it has only done 100 hours its worth speaking to the dealer you bought it from

how long ago did u buy it?

Hi John,

Out of warranty I'm afraid :(

Not heard back from John from Northwest Analogue yet so might have to follow that up.

Turntableworld are offering a trade in that works out at about 21% so that is tempting but I had been hoping to move up to a new cartridge later this year :scratch:

Guess I might be starting a new cartridge discussion thread :eyebrows: