PDA

View Full Version : Denon DL-103R

cuddles
04-04-2013, 19:33
I'm fancying taking the plunge on one of these cartridges. I'm looking at Ebay for prices and it seems that there is a range of about $100 for new items. The cheaper ones are from Hong Kong.
Are there differences in the cartridges from Japan and the ones from Hong Kong :scratch: ? Here are the links -

High Price - http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENON-DL-103R-MC-CARTRIDGE-STYLUS-DL-103-R-DL103R-BRAND-NEW-MADE-IN-JAPAN-/150893386033?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item2321f25931

Low Price - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DL-103R-Low-Output-MC-Cartridge-JAPAN-MADE-/370721995539?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item5650c0bb13

Ta.

Wakefield Turntables
04-04-2013, 19:41
Dont forgot to include the stupid fees that need to included for importing the cartridge.

cuddles
04-04-2013, 19:47
About how much would import duties be to the UK be?

walpurgis
04-04-2013, 20:04
I wouldn't worry too much about where it comes from as long as it's genuine. I've bought dozens of items from the far east and always had good friendly service and decent products. Just check the seller's feedback, if they've had a good record you should have nothing to worry about. The two sellers you show look fine.

The DL-103R is probably unbeatable for its price. I've had one, it's a very good cartridge.

julesd68
04-04-2013, 20:10
I would buy it from the cheaper seller - 2juki - for sure. Lots of people here have bought from him and said very good things about the service.

I also note that some of them had a very nice surprise over the lack of import duty ... Not of course that I would endorse or encourage you to avoid paying into Her Majesty's Coffers. ;)

julesd68
04-04-2013, 20:10
Forgot to add - http://www.dutycalculator.com/

cuddles
04-04-2013, 20:12
Cheers chaps - thanks for the quick advice ;)

walpurgis
04-04-2013, 20:20
Forgot to add - http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Yes, I'm just waiting for a Chinese valve amp and I'm sure there'll be a hefty duty bill directly following its arrival.

NRG
04-04-2013, 21:32
Factor into the price a new tone arm, head hell, SUT transformer and adjustment to cartridge loading.... :D

Andrew B
05-04-2013, 08:23
I have to say I adore the DL 103R. It's a remarkably lyrical gem at a stupid price.

cuddles
05-04-2013, 17:06
Factor into the price a new tone arm, head hell, SUT transformer and adjustment to cartridge loading.... :D

My Trichord Dino should be OK ;)

NRG
06-04-2013, 08:03
My Trichord Dino should be OK ;)

For the R maybe Simon but you have limited loading options with the Dino for the standard 103 ;)

Allan W.
06-04-2013, 17:39
I purchased mine from an unlikely but reliable source.

http://www.cometsupply.com/mp/DENON/pm/DNNDL103R/

They run out of stock all the time and shipping is very slow but the price is right.

KC Jones
07-04-2013, 16:32
Hi Cuddles
Take a look at the classifieds P111 of May's HiFi World magazine, there is a 103r for £160, brand new, low hours, uk. Cheeper than a standard 103. It may still be available.
Cheers

cuddles
08-04-2013, 09:10
Thanks everyone - I've taken the plunge on 2juki. Now the wait begins. I played a few records last night and it became clear that I need a new cart - the sound was breaking up, pops and ticks were more noticeable. I had to switch to CD :doh:

walpurgis
08-04-2013, 09:53
You should be OK with 2juki. I've bought from this seller and had no problems.

Hope you've got a decent SUT, the average MC input won't do it justice.

cuddles
08-04-2013, 10:15
Well, a SUT I aint got. If I'm disappointed look out for a low hours bargain in the classifieds :lol:

hal55
08-04-2013, 11:39
Just had a look at Comets webpage -

hal55
08-04-2013, 11:42
whoops sorry there, hit the wrong key by mistake. But a Denon 110 for 87 bucks!! Is this merchant okay??? That's way cheaper than Ebay prices.

Hal55

cuddles
18-04-2013, 18:48
Well, the cartridge arrived on Monday and as luck would have it I had the day off on Tuesday. Just as well as I had to force myself to go to bed at 5AM :)
What can I say - after mounting it to my Sumiko headshell and dialling in the tracking force (2.5 gms) I played the first Lp of the night and just kept on going until the late hours.
I set the phono input on the Diablo to 'MC V Low' and the output is perfect - the volume control at 9 o'clock was more than adequate. There might just be the very slightest bit of hum but it's unnoticeable as soon as the needle hits the vinyl.
As for the sound - well it's simply fantastic, easily the best I've heard on my system. More tight bass than I've had and an expressive midrange which to my ears sounds just right. The treble seemed to open out after a couple of hours and is giving me all I'm looking for.;) HAPPY DAYS!

I'm really happy with the results so anyone looking for a low hours bargain 103R in the classifieds will be disappointed.
All I need now is someone to convince me that I would get even better results with a heavier headshell on my Jelco and a SUT :lol:

Wakefield Turntables
18-04-2013, 19:20
glad to hear you got a happy outcome ;)

Canetoad
19-04-2013, 11:07
Well, the cartridge arrived on Monday and as luck would have it I had the day off on Tuesday. Just as well as I had to force myself to go to bed at 5AM :)
What can I say - after mounting it to my Sumiko headshell and dialling in the tracking force (2.5 gms) I played the first Lp of the night and just kept on going until the late hours.
I set the phono input on the Diablo to 'MC V Low' and the output is perfect - the volume control at 9 o'clock was more than adequate. There might just be the very slightest bit of hum but it's unnoticeable as soon as the needle hits the vinyl.
As for the sound - well it's simply fantastic, easily the best I've heard on my system. More tight bass than I've had and an expressive midrange which to my ears sounds just right. The treble seemed to open out after a couple of hours and is giving me all I'm looking for.;) HAPPY DAYS!

I'm really happy with the results so anyone looking for a low hours bargain 103R in the classifieds will be disappointed.
All I need now is someone to convince me that I would get even better results with a heavier headshell on my Jelco and a SUT :lol:

Simon,

Did you have to pay any duties on it?

cuddles
19-04-2013, 18:50
Simon,

Did you have to pay any duties on it?

No - ;)

blake
21-04-2013, 03:22

You think you're in heaven now? Switch to MC normal (you have way too much gain right now) and don't be afraid to use the volume pot on your preamp (you'll probably run between 11 and 1 o'clock), load it at 100 ohms and take the tracking force up to 2.6 grams.

It will get MUCH better for you. You ain't heard nothin' yet with those settings.

cuddles
23-04-2013, 11:08
Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go :thumbsup: