PDA

View Full Version : AE1 vs AVI

pzblues
02-04-2013, 19:31
Hi all, i am itching to try a pair of the Acoustic Energy AE1's (if i can find any) to see what all the fuss is about, does anyone have first hand experience and if so could you tell me of the pro's/con's and how they would compare to my current small speakers which are AVI neutron IV..

Many thanks in advance

chris@panteg
02-04-2013, 19:48
Back in the 90's I had a pair of Rosewood AE1's with the original and rather magnificent stands .

A very demanding and revealing speaker , best I got them to sound was with a borrowed 100 watt KT 88 amp of a diy design? Sounded quite magnificent .

With some other amps they can be shouty and relentless , beautiful looking things though .

pzblues
02-04-2013, 20:15
Back in the 90's I had a pair of Rosewood AE1's with the original and rather magnificent stands .

A very demanding and revealing speaker , best I got them to sound was with a borrowed 100 watt KT 88 amp of a diy design? Sounded quite magnificent .

With some other amps they can be shouty and relentless , beautiful looking things though .

Thanks Chris, would love to find some but they seem to be very few and far between, when you say 'demanding' more demanding than my Avi's?

chris@panteg
02-04-2013, 20:35
Don't know but they need something decent on the end of em .

hoopsontoast
03-04-2013, 07:07
AE2's would be worth a look :)

DSJR
03-04-2013, 14:14
The AE1 will need careful matching and sounded best on their own heavy-duty stands as I remember. Get them wrong and they'll be dreadfully inferior to the N4's, which are kind and well balanced mini's and probably overall the best passives AVI ever made, but suitably partnered, they (the AE1) should be a little livelier but clean with it (with luck).

Don't AE1's and 2's have foam surrounds in the drivers? If so, they'll need sorting by now I think...

hoopsontoast
03-04-2013, 14:47
Yes, most if not all AE2's will have had the foam surrounds done by now I would have thought. If not, they will need doing soon, not too expensive, I got quotes between £25 and £30 per driver, not too bad if you can pick up a cheap pair.

Bear in mind if they have been used with rotten surrounds as the voice coil will need re-winding which is likely to be about £60/ea (inc foam surrounds IIRC)

Wembley Loudspeakers would be my choice, I used them for my 104/2 B200 bass driver to get re-built. Great service.
I used Audio loudspeakers for my AE2's and they took quite a while (couple of months) and fitted rubber surrounds instead of replacement foams. They were however a lot cheaper.

freefallrob
03-04-2013, 14:52
Never heard the AVI's, however the AE1's can be FANTASTIC when partnered with a big powerful clean solid state amp. Super fast, dynamic and solid sounding with surprising bass for the cabinet size, they go loud cleanly but don't take any prisoners from down the line....

Audioman
03-04-2013, 19:35
They reintroduced them as the AE1 Classic a few years back -now over £1K. Not sure if they still do the stands?

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Default.aspx?pagename=Reference-Series-AE1-Classic.

I remember they always used Audiolab at shows though I can't imagine these are an optimal choice. Should sound better with a powerful but smooth modern amp.

hifi_dave
04-04-2013, 16:06
They reintroduced them as the AE1 Classic a few years back -now over £1K. Not sure if they still do the stands?

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Default.aspx?pagename=Reference-Series-AE1-Classic.

Not sure if they even do the speakers now ???

Before they were first launched, I ordered a pair to show and a pair to go but they never arrived..:scratch: