PDA

View Full Version : Another Motherwellshire AOS get together...

Gazjam
01-04-2013, 23:23
Had a few of these, always a good day.

New Amp, new interconnect, lots of new music.
Shout out to the usual suspects and any new ones.
Thinking this coming Saturday.
Usual Beer and Pizza natch.

Tony? You make it this coming Saturday?

The Grand Wazoo
01-04-2013, 23:35
Shouldn't that be La AoS'a Nostra Mama-wellshire Gary?

julesd68
01-04-2013, 23:50
What are you talking about Chris?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EJLoxdoI-Q

Actually these dudes "up north" seem to be having way too much fun - have a great session - maybe some of us southerners should book a coach and have a "jolly boys outing" up Glasgow way :lol:

Thing Fish
02-04-2013, 00:02

Great clip and a great film Julian...:lol:

brian2957
02-04-2013, 00:27
Oh Goody ! Another gathering of the clans (: Count me in bro.

Ali Tait
02-04-2013, 05:11
Ah, is nice-a, I like-a. Make-a sure the boys a-come fully loaded ay?

Be there or tonight you sleep with-a deep fried pizza.

brian2957
02-04-2013, 05:36
:tribe: :lol:

Canetoad
02-04-2013, 07:02
Would love to come along Gaz but will be in Germany visiting the in-laws. :doh:

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 12:33
Shouldn't that be La AoS'a Nostra Mama-wellshire Gary?

I could tell you, but Vinnie would need to pay you a visit...

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 12:33

Actually these dudes "up north" seem to be having way too much fun - have a great session - maybe some of us southerners should book a coach and have a "jolly boys outing" up Glasgow way :lol:

Go for it guys, its good fun.

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 12:34
Would love to come along Gaz but will be in Germany visiting the in-laws. :doh:

next time dude.

Ali Tait
02-04-2013, 12:43
What to bring mate? I think if I bring everything we won't have time to hear it all. I have - new diy 300b amp with Partridge trannies and KR Audio valves, the TFS, the dac, the balanced power supply and the TQ cables.

Any preferences?

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 12:56
Partridge Trannies?
where have you been hanging oot? :)

What TQ cables are you running Ali?
Ive a set of the Black speaker cables but curious about the interconnects?
You have them?

travel light mate.
Happy for just the craic

Ali Tait
02-04-2013, 13:35
Oi'll have you know Partridge output tranformers are very high quality young man.

I/C's - I have TQ Black.

Ok, I 'll just bring amp,dac,and power supply then.

What time?

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 13:46
sweet, thanks.
be good to hear your valve amp, just got one a commercial one myself be good to compare.
Good as well to hear the tq black interconnect to (hopefully) match my black speaker cable.

how do you rate it yourself?

Ali Tait
02-04-2013, 14:30
The TQ? Yes, good, even better than the silver foil ones I was using before. Didn't I bring them the last time?

The 300b is a bit of a lash up but sounds very good IMHO. It's got some very high quality parts.

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 14:35
Yeah you brought the TQ over Ali, but we were doing so much cable swapping I couldnt remember what it was like!

The silver foil jobs were very good, remember that though.

Looking fwd to hearing your valve amp, wouldnt be the same if it looked as good as it sounded :)

Ali Tait
02-04-2013, 14:42
Aye, why change the habit of a lifetime! :D

wee tee cee
02-04-2013, 16:51
Im good for Saturday....want me to bring anything?
Battery powered bantum just for a listen!!!

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 18:25
Tony! At last I've caught you on a weekend off. :)
Good stuff mate.

Aye bring the Bantam, just for the Craic.

What interconnects you using just now?
On a bit of a mission to see if the Rega cable can be improved.
Reckon it can, Ali's bringing his TQ black.

Actually Ali, have you still got Dave Brooks Ultimate digi cable?
Wouldn't mind a comparison with what I have...think my new valve amp has more to show, given the right cabling.

wee tee cee
02-04-2013, 19:30
I will bring some wires and the wee bantum......

Ali Tait
02-04-2013, 19:59
Tony! At last I've caught you on a weekend off. :)
Good stuff mate.

Aye bring the Bantam, just for the Craic.

What interconnects you using just now?
On a bit of a mission to see if the Rega cable can be improved.
Reckon it can, Ali's bringing his TQ black.

Actually Ali, have you still got Dave Brooks Ultimate digi cable?
Wouldn't mind a comparison with what I have...think my new valve amp has more to show, given the right cabling.

Aye sure, I'll bring that as well.

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 20:09
I will bring some wires and the wee bantum......

and some tarts....?

Ali Tait
02-04-2013, 20:34
Only if they're nice looking!

Gazjam
02-04-2013, 21:30
wha hey!

Say about 12:00 guys.
See you then.

wee tee cee
03-04-2013, 15:52
and some tarts....?
Aye....nothing like a wee saucy tart.....

wee tee cee
06-04-2013, 17:52
Had a great day at Gary's today....usual Scottish Mafia in attendance.

Selection of wires and equipment strewn round the floor, interconnects/amps/power cables-
Gary (gazjam) uses his server as the front end-pretty much as cutting edge as computer audio gets choc full of great tunes ( see mcru for reference no shill intended) speakers are Rega/black TQ and initially a tube integrated amp.

First off the system sound lovely but we decide the first port of call should be an IC rationalisation.
In play was a atlas pair around the 2 ton mark, switched in my trico wtb silver pair of Mark Grant digitals serving as ICs-faster brighter and more open different flavour not nesacarilly better.
Next up a TQ black courtesy of the nice man from Dunfermline( aka the hi fi pusher/the dealer/many sweary words associated with someone who gets you hooked on something that will give you a better fix) anyway- it forged ahead as the front runner sonically -usual TQ trick of mopping up the mush and separating everything out naturally.
Last but not least was a silver IC with copper plugs Ali told me about ages ago but I was skint and couldn't get....well it stayed in situ for the rest of the
session.....really good balance of traits.
Really we are talking degrees of excellence that would boil down to personal preference.

Ali had brought along a grey electrical box that needed two people to carry...always a sign to raise suspicion- a balanced mains box of tricks.

Well I can try to explain what it did to the system when it was plugged in but it is probably more revealing to know that I just switched £300 of my own cash to order one when I got home and raved to my good lady....balanced mains blew us all away, a significantly better investment than any cable or amps tried.
The amps all different and all great in they're own way.

Did I mention balanced mains baked my noodle.....
That Tait man is a menace to Hi Fi society........

Ali Tait
06-04-2013, 18:09
Yeah really good shiiit maaan. :lol:

wee tee cee
06-04-2013, 18:38
Great day.....enjoyed being shown a different direction to get a major Improvement -bang for bucks wise.
Look forward to hosting another get together....spotify is melting down with today's forays.

The Hi Fi is a vehicle to share good company and music...a very enjoyable afternoon....AOS!!!

Gazjam
09-04-2013, 22:05
Always enjoy having the troops over, as Tony said a nice selection of different kit to try from, cables and amps, but the showstopper was Ali's Balanced mains transformer. :eek:
Second time my systems had a real wtf moment, this was far more wow than wiring up my RS3's with the Black cable.

A different system - noise floor...gone. Just gone.
Ali should be commended for his services to the glasgowshire hifi community (even though he keeps costing us a lot of money!)
First the glowing glass bottles..then the balanced mains...whats next mate?
(can see a set of OB's in my future...) :)

QUESTION?
I have a Belkin PF30, you said Ali that it might be better to use the Transformer without the Belkin...my Dac and server though sounds better filtered through the PF30...you think that would change if my crappy mains gets sorted?

Always best to listen and judge for myself, just wondering what the general opinion might be?

Ta.

Ali Tait
09-04-2013, 22:08
Well, I just thought that the mains impedance might be less without the Belkin. I've yet to try it myself. Give it a go and see which way sounds best.

Gazjam
09-04-2013, 22:11
Cheers Ali, be a good test.
The system improved so much even with the Belkin hooked up, if it gets better without it....wow.

Surprised no-ones mentioned your latest and greatest...

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9867/clipboard01lbmd.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/clipboard01lbmd.jpg/)

Fresh off the U-Boat, sounded pretty great too. :)

steviej233
10-04-2013, 12:32
Are there ever any of these meets down south? Everyone seems to be miles away from London!

brian2957
10-04-2013, 12:40
The system improved so much even with the Belkin hooked up, if it gets better without it....wow.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9867/clipboard01lbmd.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/clipboard01lbmd.jpg/)

You sure IT'S not the U-Boat :lol:

Ali Tait
10-04-2013, 12:43

Cheers mate, yes it's pretty good. Can't take the credit though, it was built by a friend. I did have to rewire half of it as loads of wiring came adrift in the post. Took a bit of head scratching since no circuit diagram exists!

Got there in the end however.

DaveK
10-04-2013, 12:49
Ali/Gaz,
Any links to the £300 mains balancer?
Dave.

brian2957
10-04-2013, 13:11
This is the balanced transformer here Dave http://www.airlinktransformers.com/cat10/61/standard_balanced_power_supplies.html

Take yer pick mate :)

RochaCullen
10-04-2013, 13:43
This is the balanced transformer here Dave http://www.airlinktransformers.com/cat10/61/standard_balanced_power_supplies.html

Take yer pick mate :)

Can someone explain what these things do. Are they just huge trafos with a 1 to 1 winding?

wee tee cee
10-04-2013, 14:24
ordered the bps 1500 on my return from the session.....my mains are questionable with a nearby industrial estate.
Will post up my findings when it has arrived and had time to give it a good listen.

brian2957
10-04-2013, 14:25
Look forward to it mate . :) Can you please tell us what you will be plugging into it . IE amps , speakers , computers, TV etc. TA.

wee tee cee
10-04-2013, 14:39
dispatched yesterday so any day now.....one ear listening for the front door!!!!

Gazjam
10-04-2013, 15:37
Have a feeling I'll be in the same boat soon, no more changes to system till the mains is sorted.

Gazjam
10-04-2013, 16:07
Are there ever any of these meets down south? Everyone seems to be miles away from London!

Ours just came about Stevie by someone saying, "who wants to come to mine then?" :)

Bound to be some troops round your way mate.

Ali Tait
10-04-2013, 17:17
Can someone explain what these things do. Are they just huge trafos with a 1 to 1 winding?

I think you are thinking of an isolation transformer, which can do a similar job.

A balanced 240v transformer has a center tapped output i.e.120v - 0v - 120v. Each 120v volt leg is 180 degrees out of phase with the other, with the result that the noise present in the mains is cancelled out. Obviously, if you use each 120v leg as live and neutral, you get 240v which can be used to power your kit. Make sure the VA rating of the transformer is sufficient to cope with your kit.

John
10-04-2013, 17:42
Good to hear the Transformer doing the business. Its a bloody heavy beast

Ali Tait
10-04-2013, 17:45
You're not wrong John, I've got some heavy duty steel handles on the box, and a good job too!

wee tee cee
10-04-2013, 18:02
aye..free hernia with every sale.....

Ali Tait
10-04-2013, 20:15
Thought I'd post a few thoughts on the day, starting with a pic -

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/8686/gaz1z.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/gaz1z.jpg/)

Left to right on the floor, diy balanced power supply, Valab Class A monoblocks, and lastly a diy 300b SE valve amp.

Firstly, thanks again to Gary for hosting an enjoyable day, with beer and pizza thrown in.

We started with a comparison of cables as has been said. For me, good as the TQ was, I thought in Gary's system the silver foil leads sounded better, or if not necessarily better, I preferred the silvers on the day ( that'll confuse Mr Dunn, who thinks we are all TQ shills!) Shame they are no longer available.

I have been used to the improvement the balanced power supply makes in my system, but even I was taken aback by the improvement it made in Gary's system. It was like listening to a different, better set up altogether. Shows how noisy mains can be, and what a difference getting rid of the noise can make. The noise floor dropped dramatically, allowing fine detail to shine through, and it really upped the game on the speakers and valve amp, with bigger and better soundstaging, and a smoother sound. Definitely another of those "WTF" moments.

Took a while to move on from this, so good was it sounding, but we eventually tried the 300b amp, which is a single ended 300b design, with a 6072 front end, into a 6n6p Akido driver, driving KR 300b valves and Partridge output transformers. Sounded good, but was not giving it's best as it doesn't have the power to drive Gary's speakers properly.

Same story with the Valab class A monoblocks, they only have about 6w/ch. Sounded good a lower volumes, but again not enough power for the speakers. Good bass though, at lower volumes. These are nice little amps, supposedly similar to the Pass Labs Aleph circuit. Sound very good with the right speakers.

That's about it. The star was definitely the balanced power supply, made quite an impression I think. Good to know big improvements can still be had for not too much dosh.

brian2957
10-04-2013, 22:01
Yup Gary's system was sounding pretty good as it was . The balanced power supply took it to another level IMO. Sorry I didn't get to hear the valve amp and the Valabs Ali as I had to leave early . Fantastic day with another eye-opening result . I never seem to leave these little meets without learning something new . Good to meet up with you and Tony again mate.:)

Ali Tait
10-04-2013, 22:02
Aye, likewise, always a fun day.

Sovereign
10-04-2013, 22:16
Hi Ali

What is the difference between the Balanced mains unit you have and the ones Airlink sell?
Thanks mate

Ali Tait
10-04-2013, 22:28
Don't think the Airlink ones have a dc blocker on the primary. Mine has a double pole RCBO on the secondary, as well as an MCB on the primary.

The transformer is an unknown quantity, was built for MAD, who were selling them for quite a high price, so it may be better specced than the Airlink ones, but I don't know. I do know it's important that the 120v secondaries need to match as closely as possible in order to have optimum noise cancellation, and on mine they match exactly.

The Airlink ones may well measure equally well, probably do, but I don't know for sure.

Sovereign
10-04-2013, 23:11
Thanks mate.

steviej233
11-04-2013, 07:24
Ours just came about Stevie by someone saying, "who wants to come to mine then?" :)

Bound to be some troops round your way mate.

Fair do's will have to start a thread and see what comes back, would offer to do it at mine but my kit isn't all that special! :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
11-04-2013, 08:43
Doesn't matter. It's as much about the social aspect as anything else.

wee tee cee
11-04-2013, 10:08
Ali is right, the kit is one aspect of the get togethers...a shared love of music and learning from more experienced folks. We always end up writing down tracks and artists you heard on the day....just good fun listening with your own ears to different equipment and wires with knowone selling you anything .

wee tee cee
11-04-2013, 10:12
Got the balanced mains in place this morning.....my mains must have been as manky as a ten bob hooker!!!!

Did the same thing to my set up as it did to Garys......

Ali Tait
11-04-2013, 10:36
Good news Tony, glad it's done the business.

brian2957
11-04-2013, 13:04
Wow , that's great Tony :). Glad to hear you got the same improvements Gary did . If I took anything away from the day , it was the potential of this thing to totally transform a system , for not a lot of money . Please keep us posted .

wee tee cee
11-04-2013, 19:06
Gave the the box of tricks a few hours. Went from the Spendors back to the statics.....more than happy. the 63s have been rejuvenated, really doing they're thing with the tubes. Inky black silence....Majik! (very solid state sounding)

The bass quality has been the greatest change....with both the box speakers and statics, what I thought was room dynamics or boom was actually amplified muck.....mains noise.
Tried all the usual suspects for upsetting the sonics (tumble drier/kitchen lights)
not a sausage.....
Best upgrade I have made, pound for pound. Every aspect of the sound has benefited.
The equivalent rating of model sold by some retailers is 2k!!! VFM the Airlink transformer is wonderful.

Gazjam
11-04-2013, 19:31
Fantastic mate, nice one.
It was this one?
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/standard_balanced_power_supplies/61-BPS1500.html

We all heard what Ali's box of tricks did, great to hear the Airlink does the same too.
If you thought it was "just ok" you'd say so...so good to know its a lot better than that.

That factory near your house can now go take a flying proverbial to itself... :)

brian2957
11-04-2013, 19:37
Gonny get me one of these as soon as possible. :)

Gary you have PM buddy.

Ali Tait
11-04-2013, 19:44
Aye, no need to pay foo prices by the sound of it!

Gazjam
11-04-2013, 20:17
saw your PM Brian, not a problem chief. :)

Gazjam
11-04-2013, 20:18
What's your take Ali on the Conditoning Trannies vs the normal ones?

Bit dearer mind...

Ali Tait
11-04-2013, 20:38
It'll have a bit of filtering I reckon, which you get with the Belkin anyway. Bear in mind the 2kva with UK sockets is £480!

Gazjam
11-04-2013, 20:57
£592 with VAT and delivery!!!
Would the conditioning power supply with filtration be worth it over the standard I wonder?
I think there's a line filter at the IEC inlet, trying to work out what else.....filter wise?

The Line filter IEC inlet (probably a Schurter?) comes in about £25/£30..possible DIY saving there, dunno.

or standard BPS with the Belkin...?
Been reading up a bit on it and a few guys not had good results connecting mains filters between their kit and the Airlink.
That said..we heard what we heard.

Just south of £600...Still, lot cheaper than the 3K boxes that do the same thing I'll bet!

Ali Tait
11-04-2013, 21:18
Aye, but I wonder if the filtering is required at all?

The trannie should get rid of all the mains crap anyway I'd have thought.

Might be worth another phone call for more detail on it.

Gazjam
11-04-2013, 21:22
Good point..been doing some more reading on their site.
"includes a mains filtering component and a level of conditioning using a varistor"
Sound like something worthwhile?
Nigh on £250 extra for the conditioning one, mind you theres an extra socket...:scratch:

much damage done putting a mains block in one of the sockets compared to plugging straight in you think?

sorry for all the questions!

Ali Tait
11-04-2013, 21:24
Nowt that the Belkin doesn't already do.

Ali Tait
11-04-2013, 21:25
Just a thought, try using the Belkin to feed the trannie when you get it, see if it sounds any different.