PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 87: 02.04.2013: Screaming Trees - 'Dust' (1996)

Album Club
01-04-2013, 23:15
Album Club: 02.04.2013: Screaming Trees - 'Dust' (1996)

Album nominated by Chris (The Grand Wazoo).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KWS7E5GGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://open.spotify.com/album/0YW9Qke0AfzNVISsPQ7KoF

Screaming Trees - 'Dust' on Grooveshark (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Dust/129331)

Wikipedia entries:
Album: Screaming Trees - 'Dust' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_(Screaming_Trees_album))
Band: Screaming Trees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Trees)

This was the seventh album that the Screaming Trees made and, apart from the 2011 release of a 'lost album', it proved to be their final offering. 'Dust' is also widely held to be their best as well, although its predecessor, 'Sweet Oblivion' comes close.

Shying away from the grunge label that the band had acquired because of the time and place that they came from, the influences here are clearly rooted in blues based rock from the turn of the 60's/70's.

Mark Lanegan:
“I’ve always wanted to make records that had the feeling and the spirit of the blues without being traditional 12 bar blues, which is boring and outdated. I’m not interested in it. I am however interested in the feelings behind it.”

There are great melodies and harmonies, one of the most characterful voices in music and a great ability to just craft a good rock song. They also boasted one of those not unheard of things - a pair of brothers (Van and Gary Lee Conner, bass and guitar) who could play together in the most phenomenal way, but sometimes, when things went slightly wrong, they could turn it on its head and try to beat the living crap out of each other....and if they were on-stage at the time, then so be it!

Maybe that, and drugs, was one of the things that stopped the band from having any sense of a need for creative momentum. When they delivered the goods with 'Sweet Oblivion' there was no follow through because they recorded and scrapped an entire albums worth of songs. It was a full four years later that eventually 'Dust' (a completely different set of songs) appeared.

'Dust' has been described as mature and majestic heavy rock with tinges of folk, psychedelia, topped and tailed with Eastern influences. For myself, I think it's just an example of excellently played and conceived rock music & I hope you'll like it.
Go on then, give it a whirl!

Bazil
02-04-2013, 17:50
Is this going to be scary :sofa:

The Grand Wazoo
02-04-2013, 18:02
Only if you're a tree!

Alex_UK
02-04-2013, 19:07
I have zero knowledge of this band or album Chris - I realised a while back that there was a bit of a musical wilderness for me in the mid nineties, and I missed a lot of interesting artists and albums (new job, new house, new wife - still got the job!) - look forward to giving this one a go.

Bazil
02-04-2013, 19:33
:eek: Just ordered it on vinyl, excellent album 10/10 and that is from one listen

The Grand Wazoo
02-04-2013, 19:56
Wow, there's a recommendation! Glad you enjoyed it enough to be so decisive.

Roy S
02-04-2013, 20:03
Yes I like it, an 8 from me.

The Grand Wazoo
02-04-2013, 22:37
Forgot to mention, but no surprise really that it's a 10/10 from me.

John
03-04-2013, 03:54
Looking forward to this Chris
I saw them at the Marquee when the first album came outwith a nice French girl I used to go out with. They were part of the grunge scene at the time. It was a strange gig the vocalist went missing for about 10 mins he got pissed off with some of the young newbees stage diving so the band just carried on whilst he had a sulk. The guy had a great voice full of drinking to much Whisky but think the other harder drugs certainly had a effect too. I not heard this album so quite looking forward to it. I kind of gave up on the band after the gig.

MartinT
03-04-2013, 06:16
I've never heard of them, Chris. Playing it now...

Audioman
03-04-2013, 13:46
Never listened to the Screaming Trees before. Not what I was expecting from the 'grunge' label. Familiar with Mark Lanegan through the Isobel Campbell collaborations and it's certainly his voice that raises this above the norm for the genre. A lot of this is typical plodding 90's alternative rock but with a lot more melody than usual. Wouldn't rush out and buy it but certainly enjoyable enough for a 7/10.

MartinT
03-04-2013, 13:49
I'm pretty much in agreement with Paul - certainly Lanegan's voice helps and some of the tracks are better than others. I'll give it 6/10 and worth another listen.

Bazil
09-04-2013, 18:04
:eek: Just ordered it on vinyl, excellent album 10/10 and that is from one listen

I've been spinning this for a couple of days and thoroughly chuffed with it, still a 10 :D

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2013, 18:16
Fantastic!
You should see if you can get yourself a copy of 'Sweet Oblivion' too - you'll probably like that as well.

Bazil
09-04-2013, 18:30
Fantastic!
You should see if you can get yourself a copy of 'Sweet Oblivion' too - you'll probably like that as well.

Ok I'll check it out :thumbsup:

keiths
16-04-2013, 18:53
6/10 from me. Some good tracks, but don't think I'll be buying it.

pjdowns
14-09-2013, 15:12
6/10 from me. Some good tracks, but don't think I'll be buying it.

+1 Exactly what I was going to say... something i'd listen to but probably not buy!