PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Meridian M3 speakers

SteveO
01-04-2013, 09:59
Hello, Looking for a pair of Meridian M3 speakers.

DSJR
01-04-2013, 10:16
Not sure you'll find any here guv'nor. Any reason why these and not the more popular M2's (M20's are best if you can find 'em)

SteveO
01-04-2013, 10:44
Hi Dave,

I have a pair of minty M2s which i like a lot.

Looking for a similar flavour in a smaller package for cd/radio only system in a smaller room, and as i like my M2s, thought i may as well look for some M3s.

DSJR
01-04-2013, 10:50
Ah right :) The M3 wasn't as "beefy" and didn't go as loud as the M2 - which itself wasn't a "loud" speaker, but for the duties you have in mind, I think you'll love 'em!

SteveO
01-04-2013, 11:08
Dave,

I would love a second pair of M2s.

But in this instance domestic harmony must prevail, so i will have to settle for the little M3s, and it is quite a small room.

Had my M2s for many years, recently they have been given a breath of new life with the addition of a Naim preamp up front. Perhaps an unlikley conbination, but it really has brought them to life, without the forwardness often associated with Naim gear.

DSJR
01-04-2013, 16:42
That's how we used them in the early days, first with a 12S/Snaps and later, a 32/Hicap. The Meridian 101 went through many changes to the internal "modules," not all good ones, although the late 101B's were good again as I remember.

If the Naim preamp (any below the 52/552 etc) ever became a Meridian 502 or similar, you'd gain in image width and depth, but it is a small refinement I think.

SteveO
01-04-2013, 18:43
Hi Dave, yes i would agree. I have tried a lot of preamps over the years with the M2s, from a maxed out DIY Stan Curtis System A, a Daniel Valve pre, and Meridians own 101 and 201, amongst others

My 101 is the 3 module all discrete transistor version which i still have, its presentation is much weightier the my Nac 12s or 72, and soundstage is as you say wider and deeper.

But! i find both the Naim preamps add a sense of drive and excitement to the M2s presentation, thats difficult to describe, but very satisfying. Its not something that grabs you straight away, but going back to the 101 after the 12s, i could marvel at the soundstage but listening to music was just, well less involving, Cliche!? perhaps! But true for me.

But there is i think, one small issue, the Naim preamps are not too happy driveing long interconnects, its an issue thats easily cured by adding a small 100ohm resistor on the Naim preamps main outputs to effectivley isolate the output stage from the long screened cables that are needed with the M2s.

The combos working for me at the moment, not everyones cup of t though i am sure. And i dont plan on selling my 101, that will go with the M3s:)

cjhatt
03-07-2013, 19:02
Hi Steve, I have a pair of M3's I've owned since new (about 1983 I think) along with the Meridian MCD pre-amps and a tuner. It all worked fine the last time I tried them (admittedly 2 or 3 years ago).Are you still interested in buying the M3's?

Spectral Morn
03-07-2013, 21:03
Try the Meridian forum better chance there.

http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Regards Neil

Si74
03-07-2013, 22:52
Try sticking a serious valve pre amp into your M2s and be amazed. Mine are 30 year old and never regretted buying them but never knew
how good they actually were till I stuck a Supratek Syrah through them.
On my telly system now with an Audio Mirror pre ( copy of an Audio Note design) and still sound marvellous.
Should be in dire need of a recap but if it's not broke!