PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Stand Modifications

Alex_UK
01-04-2013, 08:56
For some time now I've not been 100% happy with the sound of my system, with a harsh almost metallic treble on some recordings. After trying a few things including swapping cables, I turned my attention to the speaker stands.

As some of you will know, I have a special relationship with a friendly dealer in Essex, and I found out that a certain UK hifi manufacturer from the seaside may be developing just the thing I needed... A new type of specially developed foam. After a few calls, I had two different thicknesses to play with. I think the original intention is to use this foam inside speaker cabinets, but with a bit of ingenuity I was able to "fine tune" the results by applying different sized pieces to various parts of the metal on the stands.

Step forward my Acoustically Researched Stand Enhancements:

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_9685a_zps5775282c.jpg

Granted, the results of the prototype are not visually spectacular, but the improvement it has made to the sound is simply stunning! Night and day, really - blacker blacks, much less harsh treble and more space and air around the instruments, and a padded out wider soundstage!

I've got some spare pieces if anyone else wants to give it a try?

wiicrackpot
01-04-2013, 09:04
Are the foam contituents different from Plumbers foam tubes from DIY stores?, varying sizes as well so suit a lot of stands.

Alex_UK
01-04-2013, 09:05
It certainly looks like that type of stuff.

The Grand Wazoo
01-04-2013, 09:14
I've heard about this, and I understand they're developing a range of products from the research work they're doing. So, from what I hear, coming from the Acoustically Researched Stand Enhancements first of all there will be some Frequency Activated Rack Treatments and they will follow this through with a reference grade Special High Intensity Treatment.

hifi_dave
01-04-2013, 09:22
Yes, that is correct and they've already taken advance orders for 10,000 sets. In fact, so popular is the 'regulated energised graded aggregate', they have taken on more staff to manufacture the upgrade kits.

DSJR
01-04-2013, 10:19
They also protect a certain range of plastic cased amps from spontaneous combustion too :eek:

Ammonite Audio
01-04-2013, 10:41
Could the range be expanded to include Acoustically Researched Stand Enhancements Wipes?

The Grand Wazoo
01-04-2013, 10:43
Good idea, why don't you suggest it to the company - see if they'll roll with it?

Macca
01-04-2013, 10:44
Yes, that is correct and they've already taken advance orders for 10,000 sets. In fact, so popular is the 'regulated energised graded aggregate', they have taken on more staff to manufacture the upgrade kits.

Or 'REGGAE' for short, eh?

It's April first and I claim my five pounds :lol:

RichB
01-04-2013, 10:44
Chaps, I'm struggling to keep up here... Its been a heavy weekend and my poor booze addled brain is not firing on all cylinders. Are we saying this company is getting into speaker tuning accessories? or is this an in joke I've just not recognised?

RichB
01-04-2013, 10:46
Chaps, I'm struggling to keep up here... Its been a heavy weekend and my poor booze addled brain is not firing on all cylinders. Are we saying this company is getting into speaker tuning accessories? or is this an in joke I've just not recognised?

Doh, April 1st..... B******s!:doh::lol:

Alex_UK
01-04-2013, 11:01
Tee Hee - looks like I've been rumbled! :D Sorry, just my bit of fun! :)

As Andy guessed they are in fact pipe lagging foam tubes from B&Q, who's sole purpose is to stop baby William banging his head now he's started rolling around, and they make bu99er all difference to the sound!

RichB
01-04-2013, 11:05
The state my head is in after this weekend it wouldn't take much to pull the wool.... Shill away for plumbing accessories:lol:

wiicrackpot
01-04-2013, 11:13
Tee Hee - looks like I've been rumbled! :D Sorry, just my bit of fun! :)

As Andy guessed they are in fact pipe lagging foam tubes from B&Q, who's sole purpose is to stop baby William banging his head now he's started rolling around, and they make bu99er all difference to the sound!
Arrrghh....i fell for it hook line, line and sinker, very good Alex. :D

The Grand Wazoo
01-04-2013, 11:17
Or 'REGGAE' for short, eh?

The clues were definitely all in the acronyms - but that one's not quite right.

Barry
01-04-2013, 12:56
Well done Alex. :) I hoped someone might post an April Fool's spoof for this year.

DSJR
01-04-2013, 14:15
:lol:

Thing Fish
02-04-2013, 00:11
For some time now I've not been 100% happy with the sound of my system, with a harsh almost metallic treble on some recordings. After trying a few things including swapping cables, I turned my attention to the speaker stands.

As some of you will know, I have a special relationship with a friendly dealer in Essex, and I found out that a certain UK hifi manufacturer from the seaside may be developing just the thing I needed... A new type of specially developed foam. After a few calls, I had two different thicknesses to play with. I think the original intention is to use this foam inside speaker cabinets, but with a bit of ingenuity I was able to "fine tune" the results by applying different sized pieces to various parts of the metal on the stands.

Granted, the results of the prototype are not visually spectacular, but the improvement it has made to the sound is simply stunning! Night and day, really - blacker blacks, much less harsh treble and more space and air around the instruments, and a padded out wider soundstage!

I've got some spare pieces if anyone else wants to give it a try?

I've been reading a lot about this mod recently and the results are simply staggering. I would like to give it a try...:eyebrows:

nat8808
02-04-2013, 18:52
Phew! My heart sank as I skim-read your post today Alex..

Thought you'd really heard a difference from covering sharp corners (though hadn't worked out why you'd want to cover corners so low..).

Alex_UK
02-04-2013, 19:03
:D I'm just waiting for someone to really try it and notice a difference! Never say never I guess!

RMutt
02-04-2013, 19:20
Is this how those cable supports that keep your speaker wires off the floor began?

Alex_UK
02-04-2013, 19:25
Is this how those cable supports that keep your speaker wires off the floor began?

:lol:

Now there's a possibility!