PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a frustrated headphone lover

RMP2
30-03-2013, 00:18
Hi

Ive been pointed this way in order to get info on what help with a problem I have with the sound of my headphones and their amplifier. I do hope you can help me out and get to the bottom of this as its no fun having good gear and a poor sound.

I have the following bits:

Marantz PM7200, SA7001KI, ST7001, 1210 Mk2, Lehmann Rhinelander, AKG 701 & 272HD, Ibasso D10 all going to some tweaked Monitor Audio MA14 Golds. Not the priciest, fanciest system in the world, but it does good.
AV stuff is basically a Marantz SR7001 and a PS3. Does the job via Mordaunt Short and Tangent speakers.
So nothing too fancy, I find the bargain second hand stuff keeps me happy. Until it comes to headphones and therein lies my problem and reason for signing up.

So hello people, thanks for taking me in and I hope we can share stuff and help each other out.

YNWaN
30-03-2013, 00:28
So...what exactly is the problem you have with your headphones?

RMP2
30-03-2013, 00:35
Hi

I was awaiting approval so I could post in another section so as to get more views and opinions. I have a post ready to paste in from other forums, but basically its sounding thin - too much treble, a lack of bass and generally worse than the well loved MA14s which cant be right.
On the demo day the headphones and amplifier sounded great, but now they dont. Not sure if this is a running in or cable issue, and Im sceptical that either has any real affect on sound but am looking for advice none the less.

MartinT
30-03-2013, 01:12
Hello Rob and welcome to AoS. By all means start a thread in the relevant section and there are many headphone users who will give you help.

Barry
30-03-2013, 01:18
Hello Rob, Welcome to AoS.

Can't really help you with your headphone problem as I'm not a headphone user. But as Martin has said, we do have quite a few members that do use headphones. I'm sure some will come along and will be able to help you with your problem.

Welcome again

archiesdad
30-03-2013, 16:31
I'm using a Rhinelander & Senny 580s fed from Moon equipment, I like the sound from the R/lander, mine is fed from tape out will this be a factor?

StanleyB
30-03-2013, 22:01
The K701 is light in the bass with most headphone outputs, be it a headphone amp a DAC or the headphone socket on a regular amp.
There are a couple of headphone amps that can drive the K701 with more bass. www.head-fi.org has loads of threads on the K701 and suitable headamps for it. My own Bushmaster DAC also has a K701 bass friendly output.

Alex_UK
02-04-2013, 09:24
Hi Rob, welcome from me too - enjoy the forum. :)