PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Billyray

Billyray
29-03-2013, 21:53
I have lurked around here for sometime, but somehow it feels a bit sleazy just to read and not contribute. I'm really pleased to see the variety of tastes and equipment here and the freely given advice. So this is me:

I have been a fan of music since early teens and started buying audio equipment at around the same time.

From my paper round and shelf filling earnings I bought my first system when still at school. It was most Hitachi and a direct-drive TT.

From then I moved to Arcam and some Rotel speakers and from there to Marantz. In my early 30s we moved to Africa for a few years and had to do with a 'stack' system.

On our return in 2003 I bought a Cyrus/Monitor Audio system which grew and evolved to one including a Music First pre with Bryston 4b sst and PMC OB1s.

Last summer while we were away some ba$t@rd$ stole the lot - and my AV system. The only thing they left was my Michell Gyrodec (no taste)

The insurance company was very good to us and now I have a new system.

The Gyrodec still has pride of place with a new Technoarm and Micro Benz Glider cart, linked through a Music First Step up and Croft RIAA (R) to a Perreaux éloquence 250i to PMC Fact 8. Digital is through a T+A DAC 8 from a Bryston BCD-1 and a home made streamer. Radio is from Magnum Dynalab MD100.

How does it sound ?

wonderful - particularly after all the effort of trying to buy most things ex-demo and used.

Billyray
29-03-2013, 21:58
I'm using the same name as on Cyrus Unofficial. So obvious really: Billy Ray CYRUS

<<< Sorry >>> :rolleyes:

The Grand Wazoo
29-03-2013, 23:21
Hi Andrew,
Welcome to AoS.
I'm a Gyro and S&B SUT owning, ex-resident of Africa too - small world, eh?!
So what sort of music do you like to play then?

Cheers

Billyray
30-03-2013, 00:31
Hi Andrew,
Welcome to AoS.
I'm a Gyro and S&B SUT owning, ex-resident of Africa too - small world, eh?!
So what sort of music do you like to play then?

Cheers

I'm currently rediscovering my youth with Prog Rock.

But I listen to a great deal of female vocal, blues and classical guitar and rock.

Alex_UK
02-04-2013, 09:28
Hi Andrew, welcome from me too - enjoy the forum. :)

trio leo
02-04-2013, 14:50
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to AoS from another black disc spinner, enjoy sharing with like minded people.

regards Al

Barry
02-04-2013, 20:45
Welcome to AoS Andrew.

Whereabouts in Africa did you reside?

Some interesting kit you have there; Perreaux, PMC and Magnum Dynalab. Nice, very nice!

Enjoy the Forum

MartinT
05-04-2013, 06:44
Hi Andrew and welcome to AoS. I can't imagine having my equipment stolen - the only worse thing would be my collection. Glad that your insurers coughed up and that you're enjoying playing tunes again.