PDA

View Full Version : Denon POA800 & PRA6000 on fleabay

ListeningEar
28-03-2013, 23:43
Been watching this ad on fleabay last few days:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221206253760?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have made several attempts to contact the seller asking for additional information on the history of the amps and whether any servicing work has ever been done (these run very hot and it's common for them to require on-board component replacements,...which can be difficult to source now), plus clarification on condition as photos are rather poor.

Only response I received was that these are 240v amps! That's it, not forthcoming with information at all. I just hope someone does not get their fingers burnt as bidding is already up to a decent amount of cash.

I always get suspicious too when as seller selects PayPal as a payment option but in the ad description states cash or BAC's only. I know there can be some strong opinions against PayPal (we will no go there on this thread lol) but I certainly would not hand over that amount of cash to someone who comes across as very secretive when asked simple questions on condition and history, not to mention has ZERO feedback! Pity as these amps are supposed to be pretty awesome, I've had the POA6000's (not the later 6000A's which were not as good) running with JBL L150's and that was pretty special.

I will stop rambling now lol

HoraceW
29-03-2013, 00:03
Looks very fishy as does the other item for sale. The backgrounds don't fit the house at the address given (looking at Google Street) so enough to make you wonder. Could be wrong of course but buyer beware. Shame really as nice amps.

Hugh

Puffin
29-03-2013, 08:24
You beat me to the house bit! Would you buy from someone with dirty skirting boards and half a carpet?:D

ListeningEar
29-03-2013, 09:48
You beat me to the house bit! Would you buy from someone with dirty skirting boards and half a carpet?:D

lol,...funny you should say that, I remember going with a friend to pick up some Quad gear from an old audio engineer in London, this guy was a real eccentric, Open University style long scraggly hair and beard,....and quite grubby. His house was the worst in the street, garden totally unkempt and overgrown, windows needed painting, or more like replacing. The inside was a feast for some of the 'Help! I am a Hoarder' type TV shows and you could not see any patterns on the carpet.

However his audio equipment was immaculate, he had one of the largest collections of audio equipment gear I've ever seen all of it very expensive,...no guesses as to what took up his cleaning time and money!

I also remember an older gent who used to live down the street from me who was a Budhist, neighbours always used to complain about his unkempt front garden, plus his interior was pretty in need of some help but he had a real nice audio setup, top of the line Pink Triangle turntable to mention one.

Can't always judge a book by it's cover but in this fleabay case things do seem stacked against the seller.