PDA

View Full Version : Hi

badsoden
28-03-2013, 11:40
Hi all,

I'm Chris and I'm a bit of a hifi novice! My musical taste is a mix and includes jazz, electronic, classical, indie etc basically what ever sounds good to me and I enjoy listening to. I bought some second hand kit from a friends dad a few years ago now and have only just over the past 2 months started putting things together.

So far I have-

Roksan Kandy MKIII CD
Roksan Kandy MKIII Amp
KEF R700
Squeezebox Touch
Beresford Bushmaster(just arrived!)
HP Micro server(media server)

I shall be in need of plenty of advice on how to get the best out things and upgrades where possible.

At the moment I live in Nottingham.

Chris

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 15:05
Hi Chris

Welcome
Novices are looked after here

Have a snuffle around and ask away

Mike

losenotaminute
28-03-2013, 16:19
Hi all,

I'm Chris and I'm a bit of a hifi novice! My musical taste is a mix and includes jazz, electronic, classical, indie etc basically what ever sounds good to me and I enjoy listening to. I bought some second hand kit from a friends dad a few years ago now and have only just over the past 2 months started putting things together.

So far I have-

Roksan Kandy MKIII CD
Roksan Kandy MKIII Amp
KEF R700
Squeezebox Touch
Beresford Bushmaster(just arrived!)
HP Micro server(media server)

I shall be in need of plenty of advice on how to get the best out things and upgrades where possible.

At the moment I live in Nottingham.

Chris

Welcome Chris, have you ever tried a turntable with vinyl?

Lawrence

badsoden
29-03-2013, 12:08
Welcome Chris, have you ever tried a turntable with vinyl?

Lawrence

Many years ago with my Dads old B&O and I have a friend with a setup that includes a turntable. My girlfriend would love a turntable and a pile of vinyl, she has some romantic notion about it nothing to do with sound! I have to admit I quite like the idea but it seems like a very expensive area to get into.

I'm not sure but think first on my list of upgrades might be the amp but thats why I'm here, advice!

Chris

RichB
29-03-2013, 18:36
Hello and welcome...

Those HP micro servers look like great vfm... Tell us more. What operating system do you use and software you prefer? Did you have to spend much to get it up and running?

Rich

badsoden
30-03-2013, 10:48
Hello and welcome...

Those HP micro servers look like great vfm... Tell us more. What operating system do you use and software you prefer? Did you have to spend much to get it up and running?

Rich

They are great value for money. They have just been superseded by a new model which is more money. When I got mine HP were doing a £100 cash back deal which meant mine cost around £140, if you're interested in one keep an eye out for the cash back deals for the new ones or people trying to get rid of their stock of N40L models. I added 8Gb of nen ECC memory for £25 and moved the supplied HDD up to the DVD drive bay then installed a copy of Home Server 2011 for £35. I could have installed Linux or a few other free versions of software but I wanted windows server and home server was very cheap at the time. Now the expensive bit! Because I'd moved the supplied HDD into the DVD drive bay I had four HDD drive bays to fill and I wanted 2TB drives. I went for Western Digital Red drives that cost around £90 each and are designed for NAS. Once the disks are pooled that gives me just over 7TB of disk space which is plenty at the moment. When I start adding films to the server that will soon get eaten up.

At the moment the system backs up the other computers on our network and acts as the media server but just for music. I spent about 3 months ripping all our CD's so I'm a bit reluctant to start the process of ripping all the DVD's and Blu-ray's but I will get round to it at some point.

Chris

Alex_UK
02-04-2013, 09:26
Hi Chris, welcome from me too - enjoy the forum. :)

badsoden
02-04-2013, 11:40
Hi Chris, welcome from me too - enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Alex, thanks for the welcome.