PDA

View Full Version : OTL amps & some Spendors - Nice!

jandl100
23-02-2008, 11:12
My latest system .... a pair of 40W OTL valve amps I picked up on eBay. They couldn't drive my Thiels so I picked up these vintage Spendor SP1/2 - musical nirvana! :) Very pleased - OK, the Spendors don't major on explosive dynamics, but oh so musical!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/SpendorSP12OTLs.jpg

That's a REL Strata sub you can see under the amps - much needed, as there isn't much below the mid-bass otherwise

Filterlab
23-02-2008, 11:49
Very nice Jerry.

Does your wife get a little annoyed with constant changes of components and cables everywhere or do you have a 'play area'? :)

WikiBoy
23-02-2008, 12:04
Very nice Jerry.

Does your wife get a little annoyed with constant changes of components and cables everywhere or do you have a 'play area'? :)

From what I gather from Jerry she is very sensible lady, he has a well defined playpen both in space and financially. I think most men need a partner like this with all our hobbies and need for toys :)

A lot of forum poster think that Jerry is crazy, but he loves music and loves tinkering. This latest episode with the OTL's, most would have given up with the potential of problems (OTLs are notorious) but he got it right because he has found something in the music from them that he wants to explore. OK my A80's are sidelined, but they are still there. Even if they get passed on they gave him what he needed, is it wrong to desire more nah!! of course not, he is just on the same exploration as Gromit, just on a different part of the wheel ;)

Filterlab
23-02-2008, 12:11
...I think most men need a partner like this with all our hobbies and need for toys :)

These women are comparatively rare unfortunately. My ex from a few years back said "it's me or the hi-fi" so I asked her to close the door gently on the way out. :lol:

...A lot of forum poster think that Jerry is crazy, but he loves music and loves tinkering...

I think he's got it bang on, and if I had more time I'd do the same. There's so much equipment and so many different takes on musical representation that most will never hear it all in a lifetime - except Jerry that is. :)

He raves about your amps by the way Richard. ;)

jandl100
23-02-2008, 12:28
Very nice Jerry.

Hi FL - No, t'ank de lawd, the wife is happy (as Richard says) to let me just get on with it. She is an amused bystander. One of our cats snitches on me - every time there's some new speakers the cat leads my wife to them to show her!

The hifi is in what used to be the Living Room - now, thanks to a new conservatory, the LR is now the MR (Music Room). A nice 12 x 20 foot space. Wonderful!

The wife looks after the household finances, and I get an annual allowance to spend as I wish on music / hifi. I keep careful track of buyings and sellings to make sure I don't go over budget - it's only fair after all!

So yes, the NVA A80 monoblock amps I bought from Richard, excellent though they are, are currently sidelined. I shall be keeping them as they seem to be able to drive any speaker I put behind them (& very nicely too), something I definitely cannot say about the OTL amps!

Filterlab
23-02-2008, 12:38
That's definitely one cool wife you have there Jerry, although the cat seems to be working for her as a spare pair of eyes with exceptional manouevering capability. :)

Does your wife have a single sister whom wishes to live in Surrey?

;)

jandl100
23-02-2008, 13:13
Werll ... she's got a sister - lives near Portsmouth but is happily married.
Mind you, no way would she put up with my hifi shenanigans in the way that my spouse does!

One other key aspect of my box-swapping habit - as pointed out by a rather exasperated friend in another forum: most folks get home from work and just want to kick back and listen to some tunes - I quit work a while back, so my time is my own and I've got the time to play with these things! :cheers:

Filterlab
23-02-2008, 13:17
Nice. ;)

Vinyl Grinder
23-02-2008, 16:27
Nice one Jerry 'SP1' are my fave Spendor.I see there very early 'SP1/2'..

jandl100
23-02-2008, 18:34
Yup - early SP1/2 - fantastic condition too. They look very Minty to casual inspection - but look closer and there are just a few scratches and dinks. Great condition for the age, though! :)

Vinyl Grinder
24-02-2008, 02:41
That's definitely one cool wife you have there Jerry

Nothing like a cool wife, mines cool as f**k..Hates the look of it but on the other hand has no problem with it..Only thing she get chesed off with: Too much brain power working out how to use it let alone switching it on! (Remote controlled trained u see) :lolsign:

Vinyl Grinder
24-02-2008, 02:44
Yup - early SP1/2 -

Aye i know this cos of the bottom infill wood panel that carries the badge below the baffle board like the original 'SP-1' this dissapeared later on cos of cost i presume.I like those speaks, even tho the baffle board has a simular layout to Marco's '100's the 'SP1/2' or yours look more in proportion