PDA

View Full Version : Good idea to open a shop ?

MikeMusic
27-03-2013, 14:43
I may have a clever idea. Please tell me what you think

Seems to me that placing a copy shop on a *busy* main road with loads of parking will result in a lot of print business.

We would continue to print as we are and hopefully have lots of people popping in to have reasonable size jobs done, as well as the small stuff

I'm assuming we would look like a modern digital print factory with lots of shop window

Have I got this sort of right or am I about to throw a load of money down the toilet ?

MartinT
27-03-2013, 14:56
In my analysis, retail frontage attracts home purchasers rather than commerce. So I would expect that side of the business to attract lots of small jobs for photo quality prints, wedding cards etc. Is that the sort of business model you are looking for?

MikeMusic
27-03-2013, 15:17
In my analysis, retail frontage attracts home purchasers rather than commerce. So I would expect that side of the business to attract lots of small jobs for photo quality prints, wedding cards etc. Is that the sort of business model you are looking for?
We can take that. I'm after bigger, business style work
I may be taking a marketing step too far
1. We are now hidden in a business park in Shepperton and people keep finding us. Mostly small work but some is £1-200, getting interesting, and we seem to be 'cheap' to what is expected on price. Helps we are the only known printers in Shepperton of course
2. When I worked at (Rank) Xerox copy bureau we had a similar arrangement to the one I'm visualising and it seemed to work well. I had a desk there, going out looking for work with companies.
3. If we have large signage on a busy major road which handles 1000s of cars a day there are people who need print who I *hope* would come into us even though they may work miles away or even in London.
4. A huge amount of our business work comes from individuals and their own decisions, not the corporate heirachy. We have a long standing multi national where an individual found us in Yellow pages. We have another where someone spotted a Comp slip on a colleagues desk from a £100 a year job private organisation - we still do. That work is *big*
5. People seem to like to 'buy' rather than be sold to. We say 'here we are' and they make that 'buy' decision rather than be sold to
6. From what I can glean there are shops in London doing well in excess of £1m turnover maybe significantly higher
7. It could be hairy but it could be really exciting :)

Haselsh1
27-03-2013, 15:43
The best advertising I have ever found was word of mouth but if you don't have footfall and passing trade, no one knows who the hell you are.

MikeMusic
27-03-2013, 15:50
The best advertising I have ever found was word of mouth but if you don't have footfall and passing trade, no one knows who the hell you are.
We get most of our new work from recommendation, the rest from Googling
We are hidden from passing trade and I thought that having a presence would bring in more work

Martinh
27-03-2013, 16:48
I think it could work.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Not next to Dorothy Perkins, but in a parade of shops on a busy main road, with easy parking. If people can't see a parking space, they'll keep driving.

How about also moving your design and sales office there too and keeping your factory just for the messy inky bit? Would negate some or all of the cost of employing counter staff maybe. Small jobs could be done at the shop though.

If you haven't done so already, it would be worth seeing how much profit you actually make on those small jobs. IME, small jobs can be a lot of work for a low return.

I reckon that members of the public are much more cost conscious than companies, as it's their own money.

BTW, taking on a shop was the best thing I ever did.

Just my 2p worth.

Spur07
27-03-2013, 17:11
i don't see why you can't accommodate both private and corporate business if you rent a shop space. I don't think the corporate side would take you any less seriously. When I used to work as a printer (pre-digital) we were based in the 3rd floor of a light industrial unit in Southwark. My boss constantly obsessed about getting shop space on the high street. Many of our 'professional' clients wished we would.

If you're getting new work from corporate clients via word of mouth then that's great, but generally its a good idea to get out there at some point and practice pressing the flesh. can never have too many contacts.

sq225917
27-03-2013, 18:29
Its an insane idea that will lose you money. If you want more business advertise and market better. Joe public owns a photo printer and has little need for a high street printer, that's why they all went out of business.

Simon, who spends maybe 50k a year on print at work.

Effem
27-03-2013, 20:42
If you're getting new work from corporate clients via word of mouth then that's great, but generally its a good idea to get out there at some point and practice pressing the flesh. can never have too many contacts.

Good advice :eyebrows:

I spend some of my time giving marketing advice on a business forum and I am astonished just how many businesses see the internet as the beginning, middle and end of the entire marketing function and then come crying on the forum that they had such high expectations which have not materialised. Start-up businesses in particular suffer from this malady and those with very tight budgets soon end up going to the wall because they have not understood what exactly marketing is.

I have said so many times now that the vast majority of new businesses can achieve so much much just by searching out their target client base within a one mile radius of any small town and "pressing the flesh" as Paul rightly says above.

"Oh shit, not COLD CALLING!" they all say as if they are about to wrestle with a crocodile, but trust me when I say it is so easy to do provided that you NEVER even try to be a salesperson. Even the fiercest receptionist is easily won over just by being polite and stating clearly why you are there, how long your pitch will take and it does open doors so you see the person you need to contact. Once through that obstacle, continue with polite charm, show your sincerity and at least you will be listened to. Be direct yet succinct, do not lie, offer a visit to your premises and be sure you leave GOOD QUALITY literature as a "silent salesman" once you have gone. This is far better method than a website, email or flyer, trust me.

Why? Strip away all the crap and fancy wrapping about 'business' and concentrate on the fact that "business" is all about a person (or persons) making a transaction with another person (or persons), no matter what the product or service is. You too are also a customer, so where do YOU spend your money?

Spur07
27-03-2013, 23:10

I spend some of my time giving marketing advice on a business forum and I am astonished just how many businesses see the internet as the beginning, middle and end of the entire marketing function and then come crying on the forum that they had such high expectations which have not materialised. Start-up businesses in particular suffer from this malady and those with very tight budgets soon end up going to the wall because they have not understood what exactly marketing is.

I have said so many times now that the vast majority of new businesses can achieve so much much just by searching out their target client base within a one mile radius of any small town and "pressing the flesh" as Paul rightly says above.

"Oh shit, not COLD CALLING!" they all say as if they are about to wrestle with a crocodile, but trust me when I say it is so easy to do provided that you NEVER even try to be a salesperson. Even the fiercest receptionist is easily won over just by being polite and stating clearly why you are there, how long your pitch will take and it does open doors so you see the person you need to contact. Once through that obstacle, continue with polite charm, show your sincerity and at least you will be listened to. Be direct yet succinct, do not lie, offer a visit to your premises and be sure you leave GOOD QUALITY literature as a "silent salesman" once you have gone. This is far better method than a website, email or flyer, trust me.

Why? Strip away all the crap and fancy wrapping about 'business' and concentrate on the fact that "business" is all about a person (or persons) making a transaction with another person (or persons), no matter what the product or service is. You too are also a customer, so where do YOU spend your money?

couldn't agree more Frank, i've worked for small businesses that went downhill because they didn't know how to, or refused to, go out and drum up business. of course you can utilize the internet these days, or advertise in mags and papers, or you can send out as many flyers and business cards as you want, but its worth very little without face to face contact or at least a follow up phone call. This is what I was always taught. of course some companies/people can buck the trend, achieve great things without doing stuff like that - picking up business through friends, family networks, word of mouth, etc, or they're simply the best at what they do and the competition is poor. i've been thinking of going self-employed and my biggest concern, and the one over riding factor that will determine whether i actually do it or not, is whether i have the ability to do exactly what you just described above.

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 09:19
I think it could work.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Not next to Dorothy Perkins, but in a parade of shops on a busy main road, with easy parking. If people can't see a parking space, they'll keep driving.

How about also moving your design and sales office there too and keeping your factory just for the messy inky bit? Would negate some or all of the cost of employing counter staff maybe. Small jobs could be done at the shop though.

If you haven't done so already, it would be worth seeing how much profit you actually make on those small jobs. IME, small jobs can be a lot of work for a low return.

I reckon that members of the public are much more cost conscious than companies, as it's their own money.

BTW, taking on a shop was the best thing I ever did.

Just my 2p worth.

I’m after a very *busy* road with 1000s of cars a day and very easy parking
I hope I have deep enough pockets
We do almost no design, just a bit of front end tiddling around.
Being digital we are not messy like litho, assuming I can get one certain person to tidy up after himself !
Initially it would be everyone manning the counter. Dedicated counter staff would follow I assume.
If the shop and factory are separate they need to be *close*. IE less than 2 minutes walking. I want the whole lot together

Small jobs are getting better as I pay attention and price them up to where they ought to be

I’m after medium to big jobs and projects and regular customers. £100s - £1000s is good :)

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 09:21
i don't see why you can't accommodate both private and corporate business if you rent a shop space. I don't think the corporate side would take you any less seriously. When I used to work as a printer (pre-digital) we were based in the 3rd floor of a light industrial unit in Southwark. My boss constantly obsessed about getting shop space on the high street. Many of our 'professional' clients wished we would.

I want to draw in business with a shop front and carry on much as we are now producing large jobs and projects in view of the public, but not so they can see the actual work.
I was trained in sales and yes I know I need to get out there. Becoming more efficient is leading to that

sq225917
28-03-2013, 09:27
Ask yourself where all the Prontaprint and KallKwik franchises went?

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 09:29
Its an insane idea that will lose you money. If you want more business advertise and market better. Joe public owns a photo printer and has little need for a high street printer, that's why they all went out of business.

Simon, who spends maybe 50k a year on print at work.
Thanks
I don't want what conventional copy shop work. I have done a complete U turn having previously said I would *never* have a shop because of the grief with tiny jobs and demanding punters.
The reality recently has been different with small jobs being quick, easy and of sensible values.
Sooner or later there will be a lead into a bigger customer, I'm fairly sure, by sheer volume of traffic past the shop with very noticeable signs and becoming known.
Being on a very busy road I'm hoping to catch the guys going to work.
'Course none of this is certain which is why I floated it here.

What would persuade you to use a serious looking print shop on your way to work - or pop in there to have a nose ?

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 09:40

I improved our web site.
If there was any improvement it was not evident. Could do with more work but I agree it doesn’t seem to be the answer.

Our client base is narrow. We want multi page black or colour work, with finishing, binding, posting etc. We can do business cards and the like but don’t really want it.

With time I can get back out and sell. In recent years we I have concentrated on becoming efficient in the complicated work we do. There was so much of it turnover was fine. Now new drug submissions have gone electronic we have lost a large amount of volume.
I enjoy selling. Softly, softly and polite. Visits to premises are a success as we look serious about doing good work.
I try to find suppliers who look after their clients like we look after ours. It’s not easy.
Unfortunately everyone else says they do what we do. Difference is we actually do it.
I boiled it down to 4 criteria when I started the company in 1979.
Quality, Speed, Value and Serice
Fits a lot of other industries too 

Effem
28-03-2013, 09:41
What would persuade you to use a serious looking print shop on your way to work - or pop in there to have a nose ?

Not a lot really unless there was somewhere to park and even better if you come to me to get a feel for my business, I had spoken to someone who used you regularly, who found your quality outstanding, you delivered exactly what you promised (THE biggest headache with print shops IMHO) and you treat me as more than just a job number.

That's not really a long list to meet my expectations, but I couldn't even count on one hand the number of printers who cannot meet just one of those criteria and as with anything else in business, there is always a market for the best.

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 09:46
Ask yourself where all the Prontaprint and KallKwik franchises went?
Different ball game
They are/were in towns, run by guys who didn't know print.
I'm after a site on a very busy road and we already have production work that we will keep producing.
We need an industrial unit anyway. I'm looking for one with windows
What, if anything would persuade you to look at a serious looking print set up on your way to work or when you were out and about ?

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 09:52
Not a lot really unless there was somewhere to park and even better if you come to me to get a feel for my business, I had spoken to someone who used you regularly, who found your quality outstanding, you delivered exactly what you promised (THE biggest headache with print shops IMHO) and you treat me as more than just a job number.

That's not really a long list to meet my expectations, but I couldn't even count on one hand the number of printers who cannot meet just one of those criteria and as with anything else in business, there is always a market for the best.

That’s exactly what we do. I need a way of getting over to people we deliver what we say - promise even
We often will not print a job as we are sure it’s wrong and can spend a while talking to the clients. We also keep emails if we are overruled as we were a couple of years ago when the boss contact me direct to say some ad's were not clear enough. That editor was soon gone.

I invented the better mousetrap, but I find I still need to tell people we have it !
If I had a £1 for every time I heard “you all say that” to our “Quality, Service, Value, Speed”
Problem is that everyone does say it and then falls down on 1 or all 4

Effem
28-03-2013, 10:04
That’s exactly what we do. I need a way of getting over to people we deliver what we say - promise even
We often will not print a job as we are sure it’s wrong and can spend a while talking to the clients. We also keep emails if we are overruled as we were a couple of years ago when the boss contact me direct to say some ad's were not clear enough. That editor was soon gone.

I invented the better mousetrap, but I find I still need to tell people we have it !
If I had a £1 for every time I heard “you all say that” to our “Quality, Service, Value, Speed”
Problem is that everyone does say it and then falls down on 1 or all 4

Like I said earlier, business is all about interpersonal transactions and if you were sat across my desk showing me what you can do in the physical sense, while at the same time I am very busy examining your personal integrity and trustworthiness so I feel I could trust you to do business with. You would need to convince me you understand my business too and YOUR premises isn't conducive to that. Come armed with some references too and I would most likely be placing an order with you there and then. It may not be a big order, but from little acorns . . . . . . I don't feel we could achieve most of that in a "shop" with all the distractions that can arise with other people milling about, traffic going past, the phone ringing, your colleagues disturbing us, etc., which can and does happen :rolleyes: People feel most at their ease on their own turf too.

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 10:40
Like I said earlier, business is all about interpersonal transactions and if you were sat across my desk showing me what you can do in the physical sense, while at the same time I am very busy examining your personal integrity and trustworthiness so I feel I could trust you to do business with. You would need to convince me you understand my business too and YOUR premises isn't conducive to that. Come armed with some references too and I would most likely be placing an order with you there and then. It may not be a big order, but from little acorns . . . . . . I don't feel we could achieve most of that in a "shop" with all the distractions that can arise with other people milling about, traffic going past, the phone ringing, your colleagues disturbing us, etc., which can and does happen :rolleyes: People feel most at their ease on their own turf too.

The idea of the shop front is in addition to the face to face. I go out to see people occasionally, nearly always they come here so they can see *exactly* what we do and see how serious the set up is.
I can suit up and look smart. A visit here shows much more. All the people, the kit, layout, work flow. All sorts of material available, work samples when not confidential. We have a visit next week from a couple of existing clients who want to see exactly how we produce their work from their PRN files.

I have never run a shop and would absolutely hate having people milling around - horrid. Aargh appalling I would have to change that instantly if it happened.
Shop for quick and easy, maybe medium jobs. Any one of us can sort that and would know what we were talking about - or call someone who did if it were an odd one.
More complicated moved direct to a production pc and printer - as we do ATM. Few people calling in and complete focus on the client.
Intense or complicated a separate room or my office - that would be a *good* interruption to my day :)

Most of our work comes in via file transfer and email and that is 90% of our communication

There are 5 of us so if we had a busy shop we would need one or two more just for the counter.

Going to see people is fine if properly researched in advance so it is a good use of everyone's time.
The shop would be a vehicle to get the work we want, multi page short run.

Effem
28-03-2013, 11:10
Sounds to me like you have already sold the idea to yourself Mike :)

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 11:34
Sounds to me like you have already sold the idea to yourself Mike :)

Not quite.
The site I have in mind may need more money than I am prepared to risk. Alternatives, if there are any may be the same.
I'm willing to hear anyone tell me it is a bad idea for any reason.
I'm relying on little data and too much gut feel which is why I floated it.
If I traveled a road and saw a shop producing what I wanted or needed I would pop in there.
From experience most people would not as they see is as easier to stay with what they know and anyway "all printing companies are the same aren't they ?" .......
This is a huge amount of dough to hang on a hunch !

Effem
28-03-2013, 12:24
I wouldn't rely on your own gut instincts because you are far too close to the situation to give a rational and dispassionate analysis.

The best marketing in the world is derived from getting into the heads of your prospects and leading them by the nose to your own product or service and none other. Maybe one of your initial ports of call in your decision making would be to visit some of your trusted existing customers and ask them for their opinions on what they would do if/when looking for a similar supplier. Don't seed their minds though :lol:

Martinh
28-03-2013, 13:05
Hi Mike,

Are you Four Point Printing?

Just looking at your positioning on google.

If I search for Printing shepperton, I get you, 1st result on page 1.

If I search for Printing Weybridge or Printing Woking, I can't find you easily.

This can be easily fixed and it shouldn't cost you more than a few quid or a couple of hours of your time - In fact, your web designer should have done this as std.

Don't pay any SEO companies or for adwords. A well designed site with all the right content and keywords will automatically do it for free ;)

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 13:09
I wouldn't rely on your own gut instincts because you are far too close to the situation to give a rational and dispassionate analysis.

The best marketing in the world is derived from getting into the heads of your prospects and leading them by the nose to your own product or service and none other. Maybe one of your initial ports of call in your decision making would be to visit some of your trusted existing customers and ask them for their opinions on what they would do if/when looking for a similar supplier. Don't seed their minds though :lol:
That's why I was asking here. Get unbiased and helpful opinion
There are only a few customers I can ask safely as I don't want them going elsewhere for sure !
Will make a list and get to it

MikeMusic
28-03-2013, 13:13
Hi Mike,

Are you Four Point Printing?

Just looking at your positioning on google.

If I search for Printing shepperton, I get you, 1st result on page 1.

If I search for Printing Weybridge or Printing Woking, I can't find you easily.

This can be easily fixed and it shouldn't cost you more than a few quid or a couple of hours of your time - In fact, your web designer should have done this as std.

Don't pay any SEO companies or for adwords. A well designed site with all the right content and keywords will automatically do it for free ;)

Yus !
Please tell me more.
My website guy says I need an SEO bunch. Problem is they all seem dodgy
Is it in the programming or in normal visible text, or somewhere else ?!

We are also close to Ashford, Staines, Sunbury Walton and others
Can you out that amount of places in without upsetting Google ?

One of our specialities is Newsletters
I went looking a few months back and we were nowhere, page 8 maybe, but the guys who were top had a site that gave no clues as to how they got to no.1

Spur07
29-03-2013, 12:08
Mike, you may already be aware, but there's a copier/printer on Addlestone high street. I don't know if it's a franchise but might be worth a visit and a chat.

I've used them a couple of times to knock up a one-off, 20 page, A4 document. I run a professional Epson A2 printer at home but the inks are too expensive to waste on a text document like that. I once enquired about getting a single A1 made but they had to farm it out and it was ridiculously expensive imo.

MikeMusic
29-03-2013, 13:06
Mike, you may already be aware, but there's a copier/printer on Addlestone high street. I don't know if it's a franchise but might be worth a visit and a chat.

I've used them a couple of times to knock up a one-off, 20 page, A4 document. I run a professional Epson A2 printer at home but the inks are too expensive to waste on a text document like that. I once enquired about getting a single A1 made but they had to farm it out and it was ridiculously expensive imo.

Thanks Paul
Looks like a normal High Street copy shop from their website
I think a really busy main road, with very easy parking will generate lots more business. A lot of the stuff they want I'd like to avoid- could be they have it right of course
Sounds like the A1 was priced for colour or maybe minimum charged. We do black A1s for around £3 - assuming the files worked !
:)
Give me a shout next time you want A1s or other stuff if it's convenient to collect from Shepperton

Spur07
29-03-2013, 13:46
Thanks Paul
Looks like a normal High Street copy shop from their website
I think a really busy main road, with very easy parking will generate lots more business. A lot of the stuff they want I'd like to avoid- could be they have it right of course
Sounds like the A1 was priced for colour or maybe minimum charged. We do black A1s for around £3 - assuming the files worked !
Give me a shout next time you want A1s or other stuff if it's convenient to collect from Shepperton

£3!! I would have snapped your arm off Mike! They quoted me £37.00 and all I wanted was a cheap as chips B/W, A1, on bog roll if necessary. It was the CAD for the standard Lenco plinth. I managed to print it out on my A2 Epson in the end with 'mm' to spare, lol.

I'm obviously not entirely 'au fait' with the type of service you're offering and how it differs from a standard high street copier. I know of a few 'pro' printers based on industrial estates catering for both analogue and digital. There's 'emphasis stationary' in staines for example. I'm often in shepperton, maybe one day I'll drop round if you're about.

P

Haselsh1
29-03-2013, 14:12
Have you thought about going down the 'art' route. There are plenty of people out there a lot of whom are photographers who require fine art printing onto cotton fibre papers. There are also a lot of photographers who require black and white printing and by that I MEAN black and white and not pink, green or blue...! Just a thought.

MikeMusic
29-03-2013, 14:15
£3!! I would have snapped your arm off Mike! They quoted me £37.00 and all I wanted was a cheap as chips B/W, A1, on bog roll if necessary. It was the CAD for the standard Lenco plinth. I managed to print it out on my A2 Epson in the end with 'mm' to spare, lol.

I'm obviously not entirely 'au fait' with the type of service you're offering and how it differs from a standard high street copier. I know of a few 'pro' printers based on industrial estates catering for both analogue and digital. There's 'emphasis stationary' in staines for example. I'm often in shepperton, maybe one day I'll drop round if you're about.

P
I should start a shop. I’d be deliriously happy with £37 for an A1 ! and a bit guilty, I might be able to sleep......
Price Jimmy would quote for a walk in for an B/W A1 might be as high as £10 for someone we don’t know as a one off. £37 is heavy

Emphasis <...thinks.....> that’s Layne’s brother. What a small world.
I wonder if he knows about the storage page on the website....

We’re an odd speciality. Somewhere between normal printer, heavy duty copy shop and serious in-plant
Be pleased to see you almost any day, anytime between 7.30 and 4 except at feeding time when you will be trampled in the rush

MikeMusic
29-03-2013, 14:26
Have you thought about going down the 'art' route. There are plenty of people out there a lot of whom are photographers who require fine art printing onto cotton fibre papers. There are also a lot of photographers who require black and white printing and by that I MEAN black and white and not pink, green or blue...! Just a thought.

Thanks
Think that takes us into a different area.
We would have to get a big ink jet, solvent based I guess if we go to a walk in. Currently only print on various paper and card. Oh cotton fibre *papers*
That's an area I don't know at all.
Our big black printer does 10,000 an hour, our colour 3000. I wonder if this requires a super slow ink jet...

MartinT
29-03-2013, 15:30
Colour art printing onto canvas is highly popular at my place of work, Mike. The costs of ink and paper are substantial. It is used for a lot of A level work but not many schools have a wide format inkjet like we do. Potentially new market for you?

MikeMusic
29-03-2013, 15:46
Colour art printing onto canvas is highly popular at my place of work, Mike. The costs of ink and paper are substantial. It is used for a lot of A level work but not many schools have a wide format inkjet like we do. Potentially new market for you?
Could well be.
I identified that as the most likely application we *don't* have the right kit for being a shop type demand. Almost no call for it where we are now

hal55
30-03-2013, 12:54
If you go the colour art on to canvas or photographic fine art paper route you MUST be able to colour match to virtual pantone standards. The art brigade are a pain in the a**e. They have a digital file which they have adjusted on their cheap as chips home monitor then bellyache like crazy when it comes out a few shades different. In Australia colour matching alone typically costs $200 and very few artists will pay it, but will still demand 100% accurate rendition.
I'm a proconsumer photographer and I"ve taken shots of several clients artworks, virtually for free, to help them get a few prints done economically. It's not easy and was more hassle than it was worth. And then you have the serious artists who actually have paid to have proper scans done , but then bloody well decide to edit said scans, again on their cheap as chips home computer, and again complain when the results of their editing don't match what they expected.
We use an Epson 9890pro wide format printer and my partner is a commercial graphic artist of over twenty years experience, and with tafe teaching qualifications, and it's been damn difficult. The art brigade has been enjoyable and challenging, but certainly not profitable, to cater to. Cater to this lot and you'll also have to know all about different canvas types, the huge range of different art paper types, and install the relevant digital files for each paper type to specifically match ink saturation to specific paper for accurate colour matching.
Good luck on your project - and hang a thumping great print of something eye catching across the front of your building to catch the eye. The passing motorist won't even see you if you don't!

Hal55

www.expandedimages.com.au

MikeMusic
30-03-2013, 13:53
If you go the colour art on to canvas or photographic fine art paper route you MUST be able to colour match to virtual pantone standards. The art brigade are a pain in the a**e. They have a digital file which they have adjusted on their cheap as chips home monitor then bellyache like crazy when it comes out a few shades different. In Australia colour matching alone typically costs $200 and very few artists will pay it, but will still demand 100% accurate rendition.
I'm a proconsumer photographer and I"ve taken shots of several clients artworks, virtually for free, to help them get a few prints done economically. It's not easy and was more hassle than it was worth. And then you have the serious artists who actually have paid to have proper scans done , but then bloody well decide to edit said scans, again on their cheap as chips home computer, and again complain when the results of their editing don't match what they expected.
We use an Epson 9890pro wide format printer and my partner is a commercial graphic artist of over twenty years experience, and with tafe teaching qualifications, and it's been damn difficult. The art brigade has been enjoyable and challenging, but certainly not profitable, to cater to. Cater to this lot and you'll also have to know all about different canvas types, the huge range of different art paper types, and install the relevant digital files for each paper type to specifically match ink saturation to specific paper for accurate colour matching.
Good luck on your project - and hang a thumping great print of something eye catching across the front of your building to catch the eye. The passing motorist won't even see you if you don't!

Hal55

www.expandedimages.com.au

Thanks Hal
We readily admit to not being able to match pantones on our colour laser.
We've had people occasionally that say the colour doesn't match their cheapo screen - surprise
I don't want to encourage aggravation business and this sounds like it, at least to start with. So I will tread carefully

If the site I have my eye on is viable I will have a lot of big posters along a long stretch of road !

Nice pics on your site BTW