PDA

View Full Version : Joining the 1210 fun

break-3
05-04-2009, 07:05
Having recently upgraded my speakers and amps (a couple of times - got bored with the SS Classe and tried tubes for the first time), I've been looking at turntable options. After the almost constant talk about Technics 12s, I decided it was time for a trip into the loft, where I've been storing a couple of them from my aspiring-DJ days. No headshells in sight, but following Marco's advice I've ordered an AT LH18 to mount my Denon 103R onto. Next step will be a PSU and feet from Dave, but that will have to wait until I've recovered from earlier purchases. Then I'll be thinking about tonearms. I'm having fun already and I haven't even heard the thing! :lol:

Peter Stockwell
05-04-2009, 08:16
Good for you, those Crap DJ decks are really great with a few adjustments ;)

Tony G
05-04-2009, 08:58
Why not get a Rega mounting plate for the 1200 and transplant the Nima from the Radish for a trial.
Some comments I have read really rate the Nima with the DL103.
I would certainly be interested in the results having contemplated that arm myself.

Dave Cawley
05-04-2009, 09:41
A unipivot is everything the SL-1200 is not. :idea:

:bag:

Dave

Marco
05-04-2009, 10:10
I know where you're coming from, Dave, but I'm not so sure.

I think the inherently 'musical' nature of unipivots could suit the highly 'neutral' sound of the 1200/1210 rather well. It's one of the reasons why Rega arms tend not to work so well, as their conversely somewhat 'grey' sound is not a good marriage; the Techy simply reveals the sonic signature of the arm in all its glory. Outside of their 'house' use, Rega arms tend to suit turntables with more colour or 'signature' - it's all about creating the right sonic and musical recipe. I suspect that on a 1200/1210 a Nima would have the opposite effect to that of the Rega.

Also, the DL-103 dumps a lot of energy into the arm and in that respect the 'lossy' nature of a unipivot could work. I've heard of people getting good results with one. All you'd need is one of your nice 'cartridge stabilisers' to bolster the lightweight stock headshell and give the 103 something, as you say, to 'work against', and also to add the appropriate extra mass. I suspect that this done, the results with a Nima could be rather good :)

Simon, I'd recommend that you try it and report back!

Marco.

Prince of Darkness
05-04-2009, 10:27
Unipivots work very well with DL-103's.( I would agree about the mass though):)

Tony G
06-04-2009, 14:27
Just found a thread on PFM where someone already tried it.
Worth a look, one point I noted, that person recommended the OL mount plate as offering better clearance for the Nima (he used the soundsupports one and noted the clearance as very tight)
Was not using a DL103 though.

break-3
06-04-2009, 20:19
I was tempted to use the Nima, but I'd like to try a high-mass arm (and I'll also have trouble selling the Radius without it). Hmm, it's a dilemma. :scratch:

Magna Audio
06-04-2009, 21:07
I've just sent Vic the measurements for a Terminator arm as recommended by several on AofS. Need a bit of space for air tank and pump not to mention the arm itself but is said to be very good.

http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

Sgt.Pepper
06-04-2009, 21:15
I would still be curious to try the Nima on the 1210.If the results were promising you could always get another Nima,biggest problem most people have is not having the gear to hand to try out before buying.

Also you must try it now because I would like to know how it worked out too ;)

Sgt.Pepper
06-04-2009, 21:20
I've just sent Vic the measurements for a Terminator arm as recommended by several on AofS. Need a bit of space for air tank and pump not to mention the arm itself but is said to be very good.

http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

Very Heath Robinson ,will it work with a DL103 ?

Magna Audio
07-04-2009, 08:43
Very Heath Robinson ,will it work with a DL103 ?

Function before form! - look at my speakers:)

Is the issue with that one the weighs 9.7g or that it needs a heavier tonearm?
I have a Sumiko BPS EvoIII at 9g and Vic says it will work ok. How well / good it sounds remains to be seen.
I read somewhere that you would need more air for high mass carts / arms so need a bigger pump.

I am planning to use a 6.8g AT 33PTG on the arm so not an issue.

John
07-04-2009, 16:17
With the new arm the motor is on pretty much its lowest output so you have no worries round the pump not being big enough for the Denon I heard a modified 103 on Vic own deck and no issues what so ever
Let us know your thoughts around the arm

break-3
10-04-2009, 15:38
Just to report that I've done the very least to get the 1210 working - LH18 headshell, 103R, felt mat and a makeshift counterweight extension - and it already sounds better than my Roksan/Grado combo, despite the PSU humming. Better timing, resolution and coherence, and no less bass presence, in spite of the VTA being too high. And that's with standard PSU, feet, arm and wiring (and the VTA, as stated, not being right). Seems like a no-brainer to me - the Roksan's going up for sale and I'll be upgrading the 1210. :)

Marco
10-04-2009, 18:32
Nice one, Simon - welcome to the club :)

Yet another 'hi-end belter' is KO'd by the Techy! :eyebrows:

Enjoy...

Marco.

Dave Cawley
10-04-2009, 19:19
Hi Simon

Do I see a review of your new toys and stuff ? Can I help? :kiss:

:bag:

Regards

Dave

break-3
10-04-2009, 19:23