PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd heads up

daytona600
22-03-2013, 20:36
A special colored vinyl + bonus CD series beginning with these 3 fantastic editions of the Pink Floyd Tribute Band with the astonishing contributions of some of the brightest stars in rock!

The Dark Cloud of the Moon, If You Were in the Middle, and Another Hole in the Wall are three star-studded tribute albums to Pink Floyd! Organized by tribute-album-guru, Billy Sherwood, to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon, each song is lovingly recreated by the crème de la crème of seventies rock and prog! Featuring members of Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Yes, The Doors, King Crimson, Hawkwind, ELP, Jefferson Starship, Frank Zappa, Journey, Peter Gabriel and more!!!

THE PINK FLOYD TRIBUTE BAND - The Dark Cloud of the Moon
Format: 140 gram LP
Clear WHITE vinyl + bonus CD of the album

SIDE A:
1. Speak To Me / Breathe (with Malcolm McDowell, Adrian Belew, Alan White, Jeff Baxter)
2. On The Run (with Malcolm McDowell, Adrian Belew, Alan White, Jeff Baxter, Larry Fast)
3. Time (with Malcolm McDowell, Adrian Belew, Jeff Baxter, Garry Green, Robbie Krieger)
4. The Great Gig In The Sky (with Malcolm McDowell, Adrian Belew, Jeff Baxter, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe)
SIDE B:
1. Money (with Adrian Belew, Edgar Winter, Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, Keith Emerson)
2. Any Colour You Like (with Malcolm McDowell, Adrian Belew, Jeff Baxter, Steve Porcaro, Aynsley Dunbar, Robben Ford)
3. Brain Damage (with Adrian Belew, Geoff Downes, Robbie Krieger, Keith Emerson)
4. Eclipse with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson, Peter Banks, Tony Kaye, John Wetton
5. Obscured By Clouds (with Malcolm McDowell, Adrian Belew, Jeff Baxter)

HE PINK FLOYD TRIBUTE BAND - If You Were In The Middle
LP - clear YELLOW vinyl + bonus CD of the album
[
SIDE A:

1. Careful With That Axe, Eugene (Nick Turner)

2. Set the Controls for the Heat of the Sun (Psychic TV)

3. Echoes (with Alien Sex Fiend, Malcolm McDowell, Adrian Belew, Jeff Baxter)
SIDE B:

1. Shine On Your Crazy Diamond (Steve Lukather)

2. Have A Cigar (with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson, Bobby Kimball)

3. Welcome To The Machine (Derek Sherinian)

1. In The Flesh (with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson)

2. The Thin Ice (with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson, Ian Anderson)

3. Another Brick In The Wall, part one (with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson, Steve Morse)

4. Another Brick In The Wall, part two (with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson, Fee Waybill)

5. Mother (with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson, John Wetton)

6. Goodbye Blue Sky (with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson, Steve Howe)

SIDE B:

1. Young Lust (with Malcom McDowell, Adrian Belew, Jeff Baxter, Elliot Easton, Glenn Hughes)

2. Hey You (with Adrian Belew, Keith Emerson, Tommy Shaw, Steve Lukather)

3. Comfortably Numb (with Chris Squire, Alan White)

4. Run Like Hell (with Keith Emerson, Dweezil Zappa)

LP & CD priced @ £ 19.00 each + £3.50 post
Order all three for free shipping
Prog wall display - Art vinyl triple pack Play & Display to wall mount all three in black or white
if ordered at the same time with free shipping for £ 80 ( £ 99.99 RRP )

Limited Edition pre-orders - shipping 4th of april

AlanS
22-03-2013, 20:53
I avoid "tribute bands" its real thing or nothing.

gariusmacus
22-03-2013, 23:49

Im with you there, although I dont call them "tribute bands" I call 'em thieves

The Grand Wazoo
22-03-2013, 23:53
So, in 50 years time, when all the members of Pink Floyd are are dead & gone, you'd rather not have anyone playing their music?

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 00:24
Cough

gariusmacus
23-03-2013, 00:35
I personally think there is a difference. I have no objections to music being played or performed by other people, its just the "tribute band" thing, where they just steal (or long term borrow) an entire act/stage performance to make a living. Its not really a tribute they're just in it for the money
but, that's only my opinion, I mean I'd rather listen to an Elvis record than go see an Elvis impersonator

The Grand Wazoo
23-03-2013, 00:37
Its not really a tribute they're just in it for the money
So you don't think they might play the music because they have a deep love for it then?

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 00:38
For god sake why dont EMI please re-issue the full Floyd cat on vinyl...They could sell them over & over again..

Stratmangler
23-03-2013, 00:43
For god sake why dont EMI ple please re-issue the full Floyd cat on vinyl...

They didn't do as good a job as they should have with The Beatles box set :doh:

I know - I have a full set here :rolleyes:

On the whole the pressings were superb, but there were problems with 4 albums - faulty items returned and replaced, and now only 1 album exhibits any fault problems.
At near to £300.00 for the set there should have been absolutely no reason for returning any of the records because of poor pressings :steam:

Tim
23-03-2013, 00:58
The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra are a tribute band ;)

The Grand Wazoo
23-03-2013, 01:04
That's the spirit!

Stratmangler
23-03-2013, 01:05
The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra are a tribute band ;)

:rfl:
Many a true word ....

gariusmacus
23-03-2013, 02:05
Im gonna open a M&S tribute shop, I haven't got any of my own produce to sell but, thats alright Ill just nick one of there lorries once a week. It's ok, it's not theft, because deep down I really love M&S gear :rolleyes:

Tarzan
23-03-2013, 07:22

You have not heard Aussie Pink Floyd then?:)

UV101
23-03-2013, 08:18
I've seen "think floyd" at a relatively small venue and they were awesome!

I didn't have to offer the shirt off my back for the ticket nor did I leave the gig with my pants down.

I'm quite good with electronics but I've not managed to recreate the legendary flux capacitor (although if I do I'll call it a flix capacitor) so unfortunately I'm not able to travel through time in order to see the real guys performing together.

Would I buy their music? Probably not
Are they incredibly talented and as quoted previously passionate about the music? Absolutely yes.
Given this fact could they write and play their own stuff? Without a doubt
Would I have enjoyed them as ugh playing their own stuff? Maybe but I love Floyd so maybe not

There are always good and bad but if someone is promoting real recordings, I'd guess they are pretty decent.

Lets be clear, we are not talking about lift music here.......... ;)

AlanS
23-03-2013, 10:06
You have not heard Aussie Pink Floyd then?:)

I don't know if I was clear in my post perhaps a bit too brief - I don't like, appreciate, listen to tribute bands so no I would hear Aussie Pink Floyd. If it gives you a buzz all well and good.

RichB
23-03-2013, 10:57
Hello chaps, as the founder and bass player in a PF tribute may I interject?

I'm mainly with the comments here regarding many tribute acts, I've seen more Floyd tributes over the years than you can shake a stick act and many of them, whilst technically and visually proficient, were as dry as sticks as they tried to recreate the precise sound of the band. As a fan I found it boring.... If I wanted that I can stay at home and put the CD on.

I also agree that many are in it for the money, (no pun intended)... Indeed we've had a few musicians through out doors who've been disappointed when they realised there isn't actually a lot of money to be made.

We've always been modest in our expectations and rather than try to recreate the huge scale and pomp of the later Floyd, we jam and improvise on the tunes, create our own effects and put out what I think is one of the most economical but enjoyable shows going. We have a laugh with our audience and take requests. People see how much we love what we do and respond well to us. Our band is comprised of guys who've all been around the block a few times in both original and tribute bands and could just as easily stay at home and not bother, yet our love of the music keeps us turning up every week to rehearse, loading our cars with our gear to turn up most places we're asked, sweating for several hours at the gig and going home tired but happy when our audience come and tell us what a great time they had at the end of the night.

So there's the 'how' and the 'why' of it. With regard to the albums I'd give them a listen just to see how other people tackle the material.

For me the bet covers I've heard are the ones where the bands do something different... As such I'd recommend the following as best in class...

The flaming lips take on dark side of the moon
Voivod's Astronomy Domini
Korn's live favourite another brick in the wall
And the Engineers hypnotic version of hey you.

Enjoy

Tim
23-03-2013, 11:15
Hello chaps, as the founder and bass player in a PF tribute may I interject?
Which one Rich?

Audioman
23-03-2013, 11:25
For god sake why dont EMI please re-issue the full Floyd cat on vinyl...They could sell them over & over again..

It's puzzling isn't it? Three releases that by the bar code sticker suggest they are digitally sourced though there is an opinion that they may be analogue. Perhaps Universal, EMI's new owners will see the commercial viability of a full catalog reissue on vinyl though they better do all analogue and not use the Guthrie 24/96 digital masters. Perhaps SACD releases would also be a good idea.

The last really good DSOTM is the 30th Anniversary. The vinyl was superb though some people appeared to have issues with sibilance. In my view it's as close to my A3/B3 as a modern remaster is likely to get. I just got the 30th SACD as Amazon are now selling this for little over £6. Startling detail but a bit bright unlike typical SACD releases. Well worth it at the current price. My worry is that any new vinyl will end up as relatively flat and lifeless against the original UK pressings. I would say of the three 2011 vinyl releases WYWH is the pick of the bunch.

Back on Topic - No I wouldn't buy a recording of a PF tribute when I have stacks of the real thing on vinyl. Frankly never been keen on these tribute albums. Sometimes you get the odd standout interpretation (check out the recent Please Please Me project which varies great to bad) but in general few musicians can replicate the original performance. It's usually versions that completely reinterpret a particular song that work. Having said that a really good tribute band can be fine live entertainment. I suppose you know what you're going to get up to a point.

daytona600
23-03-2013, 11:58
not out yet so can,t really comment - but reads like a 70s prog supergroup , should be fun

as richb quoted

one of my favs

Dub Side of the Moon: a Reggae Tribute to Dark Side of the Moon

not one of my favs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWJE82f_PA

Covenant
23-03-2013, 12:04
For me the bet covers I've heard are the ones where the bands do something different... As such I'd recommend the following as best in class...

And the worst IMHO:
Comfortably Numb-Scissor sisters

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 12:24
Best cover i heard was The Gods 'Hey Bulldog'

PymXcFxuuTk

:sofa:

RichB
23-03-2013, 12:27
Which one Rich?

The one in my avatar - separate thread here mate.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15398

RichB
23-03-2013, 12:30

And the worst IMHO:
Comfortably Numb-Scissor sisters

Indeed, that scissor sisters one is an abomination... To the people who defended it as doing something different I'd say that if I drew a moustache on the Mona Lisa would you call it 'art'?

daytona600
24-03-2013, 03:11
http://m.news.emihosting.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=f8531e3715979e132a