PDA

View Full Version : I've just bought a Rega Brio-R

Gmanuk101
22-03-2013, 16:20
9 months old, still under W, arrives tuesday... £375 inc postage :)

I am well happy, so even if you say.. Ive got one for 2p I don't care.

BUzzing like a transformer in a hail storm!!

:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

brian2957
22-03-2013, 16:52
Well done Graeme , I know you were really keen to get one . You won't be disappointed . This is a very good amp which was only bettered, in my system, by an amp which was more than double the price . Enjoy mate. :)

Tarzan
22-03-2013, 16:56
Enjoy it mate and let us know how you get on with the old girl.:)

DSJR
22-03-2013, 19:18
No hope at all for some people :lol:

Hope you like it, as a good few thousand customers seem to be ;)

RichB
22-03-2013, 20:11
No hope at all for some people :lol:

Hope you like it, as a good few thousand customers seem to be ;)

I know... Yet another chump with no mind of his own :lol:

(Gman... Don't worry, this is an 'in' joke and your amp is belter!)

synsei
22-03-2013, 20:14
It's all part of Rega's ongoing and cunning plan to take over the world... :lol:

RichB
22-03-2013, 20:19
Don't tempt me Dave, don't tempt me......:lol:

Tim
22-03-2013, 22:11
If only some of the idiots that diss this amp would actually listen to it before passing comment, then we could all live happily ever after. There are some right pillocks around :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice one Graeme and I'm sure you will be pleased, that's a steal of a price for something that punches well above its weight ;)

Gmanuk101
23-03-2013, 11:35
off to my drumming lesson sporting some panasonic headFi and Aesop Rock playing

Gmanuk101
27-03-2013, 12:39
well it arrived at work yesterday, so most of the afternoon was spent not doing any work but staring at the box.

Out of the box it's in mint condition with all of that silly see through plastic on,,,the remote box aint even been opened.. all instructions and cable there.

richB kept on saying "input 1 is your phono input only mind" so here was I thinking, ok they're not actually marked and cheers for the tip, until I saw "Input 1 (phono)" written on it....chuckled to myself I did.

So, i've not tested it with Vinyl at all yet, but had my Standac plugged in, downloaded JRiver, quick call from RichB to get the optimised settings (p.s he is not a techie like me, so a bit of good old mind reading for menu options went on..no offence Rich but you're not).

1st was The Police - Greatest Hits FLAC
just brilliant,, loads more bite to it, it loves drums and bass that amp does..loads of atmosphere.

2nd Frank Zappa's Bongo Fury album - which is a great album... turns out the Gibson SG was made for the Rega-Brio R, would would have thunk it.

3rd A bit of Metallica Thrash, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightnight (can't listen to And Justice for All anymore, no bass)
Loads and loads more came out,, my MA BX2 bronze tweaters love this amp.. at one point I am sure they said "feed me more".. could have been the cider though.

4th Was a hip hop 30mins..... AesopRock's Float LP on 320kps - the detail on the samples and the 808 here were brilliant,, could pick out the Roland 505, and 707 percussion machines really well.

So to sum up I am really not surprised this little amp for rrp 500 or thereabouts has sold in the truck load....I picked mine up for £375, but after selling bits to buy it, have only really spent £175 (it's my positive if not unrealistic maths)

Anyway, if anyone wants an amp under £500 new or second hand for around what I paid then for me it's got to be the Brio.

Tonight it's more hipHop, but some darker stuff with a lot of atmospheric samples....the journey never ends... Love it.

Alex_UK
27-03-2013, 12:46
Yours will be a more recent one if the phono input is marked as such, Graeme.

I'm not surprised you are enjoying it - but then I would shill say that, wouldn't I! :eyebrows:

DSJR
27-03-2013, 12:53
Am I supposed to post now to back Alex up and shill for hifi dave as well? :rofl:

At least there's a dealer network to support this product, a good and polite manufacturer (not a one-man-band) to deal with should any problems occur and I honestly can't think of any dealer-retail product I's consider more at this price, good as Cambridge, Rotel, HK and Arcam may be... The Kandy is a Sevenoaks model and the K2 was awful!

julesd68
27-03-2013, 12:59
I'm not surprised you are enjoying it - but then I would shill say that, wouldn't I! :eyebrows:

You've not taken the "King's Shilling" aswell have you Alex?? ;)

All together now -

"Shill-shillery shill-shillery shill shill sheroo - you just need a Rega, oh yes sir you do!"

:rfl:

Alex_UK
27-03-2013, 13:13
Didn't you know Julian - I'm the shiller's apprentice, I'm being groomed by the Dastardly Duo of Daves (TM) to promote the products HiFi Dave stocks at every opportunity, but as subtly as possible so you lot don't smell a rat...

I'm sure Marco must be involved in at as well, getting backhanders to turn a blind eye to my blatant abuse of the forum.

Or, in the real world, I listened extensively to the Brio-R, compared it to my amp of the time (A Creek Evo) and it kicked it from here to Christmas, so I bought one.

I also happen to prefer it to the Croft Integrated (heresy, I know!) not least the convenience factor of remote control which is a "must have" for me (I need to be able to instantly mute the volume when a work phone call comes in or when one of the rugrats stirs) and in my opinion*, it betters a lot of more expensive amps. But then I've not heard everything there is, so there may well be something out there at the same price point that betters it.

* And of course the countless opinions of others, and multitude of reviews, but we all know that the hifi press are even lower down the food chain than the dealers, don't we...? :rolleyes:

Gmanuk101
27-03-2013, 13:58
the real proof for me will be my Techie into the phono stage..

I am a simple man of simple tastes, if it sounds great to me then I am happy.

I've got Zappa's Guitar album to try later, some Roots and Andrew Weatherall's masterpiece.

I may even try some echo and the bunnymen or Depeche Mode new album

Alex_UK
27-03-2013, 14:12
Will be interesting to read what you think of the phono stage. Hardly used mine, to be honest, probably not even burnt that input in, if you believe in that sort of thing. ;)

Gmanuk101
27-03-2013, 14:56
Will be interesting to read what you think of the phono stage. Hardly used mine, to be honest, probably not even burnt that input in, if you believe in that sort of thing. ;)

I do as I've heard it twice now 1st hand (or ears).

So will probs leave something playing for a while before sitting down to have a proper listen.

Thing is I've got about 7 different forms of music on vinyl...so hopefully no snake oil in my ears...;)

JazzBones
27-03-2013, 15:04
Am I supposed to post now to back Alex up and shill for hifi dave as well? :rofl:

At least there's a dealer network to support this product, a good and polite manufacturer (not a one-man-band) to deal with should any problems occur and I honestly can't think of any dealer-retail product I's consider more at this price, good as Cambridge, Rotel, HK and Arcam may be... The Kandy is a Sevenoaks model and the K2 was awful!

Hush yo mouth DaveO, there maybe evil spirits a hovering! :eyebrows:;)

RichB
27-03-2013, 15:39
Graeme, you're probably wondering what some the posts on this thread are on about. Pop over here to be enlightened.

http://hifisubjectivist.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44759&start=1120

It makes for a fun read and I even get a mention from time to time, which is nice.:ner:

Trust your ears mate and buy your kit from people you have confidence and trust in.

For the record I bought my kit from Simon at HiFi sound in Stockton who, apart from being a thoroughly nice chap with a lovely shop and great local reputation, was able to offer me the most competitive trade in for my other gear when I decided to go the Rega way. I've never transacted with Hifi Dave but would have no reservations about doing so if the deal was right.

As for the Elicit-R, I'll endeavour to hear it out of interest... This is my hobby after all, but given its likely price point and the fact that I'm content with the Brio-R in my system I'm not quite 'salivating' just yet.:lol:

RichB
27-03-2013, 17:34
And they're off....

:lol:

Alex_UK
27-03-2013, 17:46
I'm sure they are! Still, at least we keep them entertained. I'm afraid I've long since grown out of visiting that little speck of the internet, but I would urge all AoS members who haven't to have a look, as no doubt they are still crusading to educate you all that all AoS is purely here for some of us to shill for our favoured retailers and manufacturers. Decide for yourselves is all I can suggest.

JazzBones
27-03-2013, 17:58
And they're off....

:lol:

:facepull:..... puff, puff, puff... great exertion... deep breath :nono::lol:

myles
27-03-2013, 18:32
One of the lead nutter's acolytes has so much NVA it must be tough to comment impartially.

RichB
27-03-2013, 18:45
One of the lead nutter's acolytes has so much NVA it must be tough to comment impartially.

That's the thing like, from what I understand nobody over there has actually owned or even heard a Brio-R.

Now I've never heard one of their favorite amps so I can't slate them, nor would I by the way as it could all be a matter of taste

I think i'd rather like to hear an NVA amp.

Welcome by the way Myles, see you're just up the road like....

Audioman
28-03-2013, 10:14
OK this has prompted me to have a look at Richard's forum. I think some of his comments have merit. In fact ties well in with my comments on the Manchester Show thread. He also attacks a certain member here on the grounds of his mark ups on Lurcher's designs. Perhaps MCRU owes us a comment on that as he regularly benefits from the latitude for self promotion generously allowed him by Marco. Just would like to hear both sides of the argument as this issue of dealer mark up has long been a bone of contention. Unsurprisingly those I have asked and been forthcoming have claimed only 10-20% whilst 'popular' internet theory would put it at nearer 100%.

Also Richard is offering a challenge of cheapest NVA v Rega Brio R at what is in effect a no cost loan (30 day approval on credit card paypal payment). I think this is a challenge this forum should be up for. May tell us the relative value of the Brio R and how good NVA actually is in SPPV terms. I wonder if a Brio R user would be up for the challenge. I think we should have the courage to stand up to Richard's Art of Shill taunts and call his bluff. Must be impartial and prepared to call a genuine winner. I also think some of the best regarded vintage budget amps could be thrown into the mix to determine if any genuine progress has been made in affordable amp design.

Paul.

Gazjam
28-03-2013, 10:36
Nice one Graeme on getting the Brio at last. :)

Enjoy it mate, I found it wasn't suited to any particular kind of music - it just played it all.
Lots of grunt and bass depth for those Massive Attack sessions too!

JazzBones
28-03-2013, 10:45
OK this has prompted me to have a look at Richard's forum. I think some of his comments have merit. In fact ties well in with my comments on the Manchester Show thread. He also attacks a certain member here on the grounds of his mark ups on Lurcher's designs. Perhaps MCRU owes us a comment on that as he regularly benefits from the latitude for self promotion generously allowed him by Marco. Just would like to hear both sides of the argument as this issue of dealer mark up has long been a bone of contention. Unsurprisingly those I have asked and been forthcoming have claimed only 10-20% whilst 'popular' internet theory would put it at nearer 100%.

Also Richard is offering a challenge of cheapest NVA v Rega Brio R at what is in effect a no cost loan (30 day approval on credit card paypal payment). I think this is a challenge this forum should be up for. May tell us the relative value of the Brio R and how good NVA actually is in SPPV terms. I wonder if a Brio R user would be up for the challenge. I think we should have the courage to stand up to Richard's Art of Shill taunts and call his bluff. Must be impartial and prepared to call a genuine winner. I also think some of the best regarded vintage budget amps could be thrown into the mix to determine if any genuine progress has been made in affordable amp design.

Paul.

This would be really interesting Audi , and I would really like to be aware of the outcome? Big problem, how do you organise such a face off that is likely to be impartial without the two factions having a go at one another? What ancillaries would be used, where would the face off take place and more importantly who would oversee the whole procedure? From this side of the fence its not so much the amps but more so the personality behind one of the combatants.

Marco
28-03-2013, 11:28
Hi Paul,

Just to clarify things... David Brooks is afforded no more latitude for self-promotion than any other dealer here. He just has a different way of selling from others, which is more 'full on'. It's simply his nature - you cannot fundamentally change what someone is like, although you can ask them to adjust slightly to comply with what is expected of them on AoS, as indeed I recently asked of David.

However, there is nothing underhand going on, especially shilling, in its truest sense. I can assure you of that, as I would not permit it. That's why we take the piss when such ridiculous accusations are made! :mental:

Running a large and busy forum, such as AoS, successfully, is about understanding and adjusting to people's different personalities, as much as anything else. Therefore we allow people a certain leeway to be themselves, whilst operating under the guidelines we set for running the forum. Beyond that point, you cannot 'control' people, and it's that relaxed but professional approach which makes AoS a popular place for members of the trade to advertise their businesses. Therefore, we have no intention of changing our modus operandi, in that respect, regardless of carping to the contrary elsewhere from the misguided and/or uninitiated.

Also Richard is offering a challenge of cheapest NVA v Rega Brio R at what is in effect a no cost loan (30 day approval on credit card paypal payment). I think this is a challenge this forum should be up for.

I totally agree. Therefore, good luck to anyone who wishes to take up the challenge.

The problem for me is, that in order for the results to be genuinely valid, any such challenge must take place at a neutral venue (such as in a hotel room, or whatever), in a neutral system, where the outcome is heard by both NVA and Rega fans alike, including as many unbiased people present as possible. The equipment MUST stand or fall entirely on its own merit, and the outcome of the challenge be free from any inter-forum politics, grudges, egos or personality clashes.

Conducting said challenge at Richard's place, in his system, which no doubt has been voiced (understandably so) to optimise NVA gear, or at someone else's place in their system (especially if said person is a Rega fan), will likely tell you little, other than showcasing the expectation biases of either party.

Therefore, if such a 'bake-off' can be arranged at a neutral venue, and crucially, if Richard can curb his abrasive and intolerant nature towards those whom he disagrees with, and encourage enough people to attend, whom he hasn't aggravated to such an extent that they'd be more inclined to smack him in the mouth than shake his hand, when sharing his company for a few hours, then I think that such an event would be extremely worthwhile and we would fully support it here on AoS.

Marco.

StanleyB
28-03-2013, 12:06
Talking about mark up: I don't know how many people are aware that out of every £100 on the price of an item that is subjected to VAT, only £63.13 goes to the seller. The remaining £36.87 goes to the VAT and TAX man.
If you are VAT registered then you can claim back part or all of the VAT, but that depends on what type of VAT business group you fall under. I for instance can't claim any VAT back, but I am VAT registered.

julesd68
28-03-2013, 12:08
Excellent post from Paul. I think both issues need to be tackled head-on.

I think the whole NVA v Rega thing is not a credit to either forum. What I really dislike is the way the debate polarises opinion into AOS vs Hi-fi sub. It's pathetic to be honest.

This bake-off is a great idea but only if approached in the right way. God forbid, but it should be fun!! :eek: It's shouldn't be some kind of pseudo-scientific experiment to find out which is the "best" amp as of course there's no such thing - it's entirely subjective. Personally I couldn't give a flying fu*k whose amp sounds better or is better made - I do know which one I probably will prefer but so what? I would try to keep an open mind. What it should be is a bunch of hi-fi enthusiasts getting together for a bit of banter and a few drinks. I would welcome the chance to meet both punters from AOS and from Richard's forum.

For the sake of sanity it should of course be in "neutral" territory and on a "neutral" system (if there is such a thing!) that is all agreed up front. Surely possible??

I completely disagree with JazzBones that Richard's personality is the issue here. There are lots of different personalities and egos involved, all of whom I am sure could get along for a couple of hours without a mass brawl - it's only fookin' hi-fi innit? :mental:

Also, let's be clear that this bake-off will do nothing to address any Rega "shilling" accusations - that's really a different issue ...

RichB
28-03-2013, 13:06
Hi chaps, I would also like to hear the amps compared but I would guess the outcome might be something along the lines of....

Best amp for a Rega system - Rega
Best amp for an NVA system - NVA

Which doesn't really get us anywhere does it? As much as I'm keen to hear the amps I don't think I could bring myself to part with any amount of cash. I'm a big lad and can handle a bit fun but I'll reiterate I was a bit taken aback to see some of the conversation over there and find my name mentioned. I've done nowt to those chaps and the chances of me putting business in that direction are pretty slim as much as i'd genuinely like to hear the product.

Back to the OP, I'm pleased Graeme is happy with his choice of amp. Before he committed himself I encouraged him to hear as many other amps in the similar price point and only recommended the brio in the context of a rega system. There was always the likelihood it might not match with his other gear, a trial run quickly sorted that out...

Now all he needs is some RS speakers:cool:

DSJR
28-03-2013, 13:17
Obviously the latter would probably be how the "comparison" would be made, but I think you/we need to look a little wider. Amps available retail via dealers need to work well with a wide variety of gear and possibly ham-fisted owners. I know of a brio R that *may* have had the speaker terminals of one channel shorted, the amp just stopping working on that channel (Rega immediately replaced the amp, so I don't know the internal outcome).

I've said before I'd like to try one of the simpler NVA designs, which do look neatly if unconventionally made. Obviously, the best way with these would be to use the recommended interconnects and speaker cables, since such a design is dependant on these for best results. The use of a well balanced, efficient and load-careful speaker would also be mandatory, although I suspect a 50W model should handle the crossovers that RD's hated "BBC legacy" models (and similarly loaded models) provide.

It's such a shame, as there's plenty of room in HiFi enthusiast markets for both to thrive, but personalities can sell or damn perfectly good (or bad even;)) products and getting oneself banned on almost every HiFi forum out there and taking the p*ss out of myself and others on various sites isn't really the way to sell one's product or philosophy now, is it?

Audioman
28-03-2013, 14:48
The point would be to slot both amps into a high quality set up and certainly not one that features speakers or sources from either manufacturer. I think NVA speaker cables may be mandatory because of the design but can't see the need for a particular interconnect. I'm sure most members of this forum have like myself not heard a Brio or NVA so I don't think that it is difficult to get a largely impartial audience. I think it would have to exclude anyone with any ties to manufacturers or dealers of the products other than regular customers.

Marco
28-03-2013, 14:55
I'm sure most members of this forum have like myself not heard a Brio or NVA so I don't think that it is difficult to get a largely impartial audience.

I would tend to agree, although I doubt that hardcore fanboys, particularly on the NVA side (such as Jamrag and Quinny), could be trusted to give an unbiased opinion on the outcome of the test, should either of them be present.

They simply have too many agendas, none of which I suspect would have anything in common with honesty, and as such their opinions have zero credibility.

Marco.

Audioman
28-03-2013, 15:10
I would tend to agree, although I doubt that hardcore fanboys, particularly on the NVA side (such as Jamrag and Quinny), could be trusted to give an unbiased opinion on the outcome of the test, should either of them be present.

They simply have too many agendas, none of which I suspect would have anything in common with honesty.

Marco.

Judging by Richard's comments, Harbeth and other BBC based designs are out if this is going to get any credibility over there. Not sure they would be my favoured choice anyway. He does make a sensible suggestion of using Gromit's Sony as a comparator. One of the more impressive performers at Scalford. Hopefully any hardcore fanboys of either amp would form a small minority of those attending.

RichB
28-03-2013, 16:04
Maybe also get one of the new Mini-Ts there:eyebrows:

julesd68
28-03-2013, 16:22
I think NVA speaker cables may be mandatory

Absolutely not! Most cables are fine with NVA - you just have to avoid very high capacitance cables or Litz types which can damage the amps ...

DSJR
28-03-2013, 16:40
Maybe also get one of the new Mini-Ts there:eyebrows:

As long as you play at fairly low levels, since if the things get even slightly stressed, the reproduction of cymbals, already often compromised in the mixing and mastering stage, will be annihilated :lol:

Marco
28-03-2013, 17:39
Judging by Richard's comments, Harbeth and other BBC based designs are out if this is going to get any credibility over there. Not sure they would be my favoured choice anyway.

Sure... However, I have no particular opinion either way. To be brutally honest, as much there exists a mild curiosity factor for me in terms of discovering the outcome of this challenge/test, I have more important things to be concerned with than shoot-outs between rather mundane budget solid-state amplifiers.

He does make a sensible suggestion of using Gromit's Sony as a comparator. One of the more impressive performers at Scalford. Hopefully any hardcore fanboys of either amp would form a small minority of those attending.

Richard (Gromit's) Sony would indeed act as an effective comparator. I also value his opinion and consider that he possesses discerning ears, especially in terms of ascertaining and outlining the musical abilities of equipment. He could certainly also be relied upon to be an impartial judge.

Agreed about the fanboy/acolyte situation, which incidentally could apply to either camp, regardless of whether ownership of the equipment concerned is a factor or not. This is because of respective allegiances, not only to the use of the equipment in question, but to the manufacturer responsible for producing it. The latter, together with its associated sycophancy, clearly afflicts darling Dennis (DQ), who couldn't get any further up Richard's bottom if he tried... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
28-03-2013, 19:39
From the Tai-chi bodger:

ADMIN EDIT - I warned you Jammy I am not discussing blind testing here, any post about it will be removed - look in the archive.

Hahahahaha... 'If I don't like it, I'll just delete it': control freakery, par excellence, from Dicky - and comical in the extreme, especially when he gets rather, erm, 'agitated'! :D

Jamrag will be next to be hounded out of his controlling and manipulative dictatorship, leaving the Quinster and him alone to perform their mutual man-love...... ;)

Marco.

DSJR
28-03-2013, 20:43
The only thing mundane about the Brio R Marco, is the price asked.....

By the way, Alex and I are (supposedly) setting you all up for the next big shill - the Elicit R, which will be well over £1500 I believe. I'm going to have heart failure in deciding which to recommend to you all, the established Croft pair, or a solid state wonder from Southend-On-Sea - cripes :rofl:

This is all getting stupid now isn't it? I have NEVER shilled for anyone and Dave and Alex think it's hilarious. The Brio R stands or falls on its own merits - and the excellent reviews it's received all over. Some early takers will keep the thing for a few months until the bug bites and they move on - never a comment on the Crofts that come and go here, only the Brio R, Why I wonder? I mean, look at the number of ex-NVA owners that post here. Why did they get rid of their NVA I wonder - bad build, or bad sound, or just wanting a change, plain and simple? I'll be generous and go for the "change" option.

Marco
28-03-2013, 20:58
The only thing mundane about the Brio R Marco, is the price asked.....

I meant in comparison with the equipment I'm used to using. Therefore, you'll forgive me if I don't become too excited about how one budget SS amp performs against another, NVA or not, unless the latter goes up in flames and provides us with some top comedy! :lol:

By the way, Alex and I are (supposedly) setting you all up for the next big shill - the Elicit R, which will be well over £1500 I believe. I'm going to have heart failure in deciding which to recommend to you all, the established Croft pair, or a solid state wonder from Southend-On-Sea - cripes :rofl:

This is all getting stupid now isn't it? I have NEVER shilled for anyone and Dave and Alex think it's hilarious.

As do I and the whole of the mod team - I assure you!!! The man lives for having something to moan about, and so sees ulterior motives in the most innocent of activities. I guess that the thrill he gets from his ridiculous delusions is what helps keep him alive.

I mean, look at the number of ex-NVA owners that post here. Why did they get rid of their NVA I wonder - bad build, or bad sound, or just wanting a change, plain and simple? I'll be generous and go for the "change" option.

I'll go for disassociating themselves with a nutcase! ;)

Marco.

Ali Tait
28-03-2013, 22:14
I know of at least one member here who sold his NVA amp in favour of a Brio R.

chelsea
28-03-2013, 22:28
What is so good about this Brio.
I've heard some of the older rega amps which were ok in there price range but nothing special.

RichB
29-03-2013, 09:49
I've heard some of the older rega amps which were ok in there price range but nothing special.

I think try and hear one is the best way, everyone who has heard mine has only said good things about it, including other members of this forum. I don't think they're just being polite as they've suggested other improvements I can make. People expect this amp to be one of either 2 extremes, either really bright and shrill or a bit pipe and slippers, for me it is neither. Just pure musical enjoyment which makes me smile every time.

DSJR
29-03-2013, 10:04

The original Elex and Elicit were a bit before their time but flawed too (and surving ones are suffering tired old caps too apparently). The clamshell Brio, unloved Luna (no remote control and not much cheaper than the Mira) and original Mira were lovely amps, the latter especially working well in all sorts of systems (and having an excellent MM phono stage too as one should expect). Post clamshell, Rega amps went a bit relentless and thinner toned, just as Arcam and others were going all warm and cuddly on the one hand, and Naim were getting the Nait 5 going (fine if it wan't pushed, whereupon the old horrid harshness returns to bite sharply :)).

This current Brio R is a bit of a change of direction, with a Class A driver and more modern? output transistors. It shows, while the phono stage remains an excellent part of the package. The market isn't there for a "Mira R" at a grand or so and although I liked the recent Elicit, the UK market in this price range seemed to be Naim-mad, or LFD or Sugden. Now Rega have an excellent sales manager (ex Listen Inn, Naim and Arcam) to vigorously promote the range, the new models should do well whether the likes of me recommend them or not :lol:

Macca
29-03-2013, 10:05
The Brio R is £498 collected, the XTZ Class A 100 is £640 delivered (depending on exchange rate), has a ton more power, choice of class A or AB working, a built in DAC and an MC stage. In that context the Brio does not look like such great value.

I would be interested in this proposed bake-off, though, I have no axe to grind either way.

I'm also of the opinion that the shilling accusations are ridiculous and undermines Mr D's whole agenda, which is almost righteous otherwise.

DSJR
29-03-2013, 10:24
Rega still make their stuff in the UK. If the XTZ was UK made and sold via dealers it would be more than double the price I suggest. Another amp I'd like to hear one day but i do hope it isn't too powerful for its own good, as the Roksan kandy K2 was and the base amplifier chassis the XTZ is based on is accused of being elsewhere :) This is where careful tweaking can improve subjective results over a technically good foundation on which to start..

Macca
29-03-2013, 10:31
Rega still make their stuff in the UK. If the XTZ was UK made and sold via dealers it would be more than double the price I suggest. Another amp I'd like to hear one day but i do hope it isn't too powerful for its own good, as the Roksan kandy K2 was and the base amplifier chassis the XTZ is based on is accused of being elsewhere :) This is where careful tweaking can improve subjective results over a technically good foundation on which to start..

I agree it would probably be about £2K if UK made and sold through distributor/dealer. Can an amplifier be too powerful for its own good? Not sure about that ;)

RichB
29-03-2013, 10:34
The Brio R is £498 collected, the XTZ Class A 100 is £640 delivered (depending on exchange rate), has a ton more power, choice of class A or AB working, a built in DAC and an MC stage. In that context the Brio does not look like such great value.

I would be interested in this proposed bake-off, though, I have no axe to grind either way.

I'm also of the opinion that the shilling accusations are ridiculous and undermines Mr D's whole agenda, which is almost righteous otherwise.

I have to agree with you the XTZ does look like amazing value and it is seriously pretty too. I'll confess my eye has wondered over to that manufacturers website on more than one occasion. Interesting proposition they have there.

As an aside I am actually in the market for another amp for my second system, my trusty old A400 has become unreliable. Think I'll start another thread on this.

JazzBones
29-03-2013, 10:36
Quote Macca: I'm also of the opinion that the shilling accusations are ridiculous and undermines Mr D's whole agenda, which is almost righteous otherwise.

With you on that one Macca but it keeps HFS afloat, and as newspapers say, 'It sells copy'. The shilling bit is page 3 stuff :whistle:

Marco
29-03-2013, 10:40

The funniest thing was how Dicky-boy reacted, by totally losing the plot, when Gaz DARED to say that he preferred the Rega to the NVA amp, and Duncy threatened to kick him off the forum if he didn't 'behave' (read as kow-tow/pander to the rules of his dictatorship)... Of course he cares not a jot about which amp is considered as 'best'... Aye, we can see that! - HILARIOUS!! :lol:

He's since "cleaned up" the thread (read as censored remarks that made him look like a tit), much to the annoyance of his resident bum-boys, who one can see are beginning to get fed up with his antics - DOUBLY HILARIOUS!!! :rfl:

You can definitely sense the unrest in his camp. Yup, sooner rather than later, the old tit will be left all on his lonesome, in his shitehole, talking to himself - and oh how we will all laugh........

Marco.

Macca
29-03-2013, 10:46
You can sense the unrest in his camp. Yup, sooner rather than later, the old tit will be left all on his lonesome, on his shitehole, talking to himself - and oh how we will all laugh........

Marco.

Well I think that would be a shame as the whole concept of an on line 'private eye-fi' that takes the piss (without being personally nasty) out of the forums and the industry in general is a good one. The targets need to be legitimate, though, and the whole thing done with some wit and taste.

Gmanuk101
29-03-2013, 10:47
I would give this "bake off" a go.. I do not care for brands or whomever has what.

if the NVA is better then I will sell the brio and get the nva, simples

Marco
29-03-2013, 10:55
Well I think that would be a shame as the whole concept of an on line 'private eye-fi' that takes the piss (without being personally nasty) out of the forums and the industry in general is a good one. The targets need to be legitimate, though, and the whole thing done with some wit and taste.

Oh, I totally agree - that would genuinely be a giggle. Unfortunately, the bit in bold most certainly doesn't apply to the pathetic axe-grinding, dressed up as "piss-taking", portrayed on HFS, which equates simply to Duncy spouting abusive bile in the direction of those who he deems to have 'wronged' him, both recently and a VERY LONG time ago!

Bitter and twisted, mixed with persistently delusional, doesn't even scratch the surface as a description of the man's behaviour.

Marco.

julesd68
29-03-2013, 10:57
FWIW - I only sold my NVA AP50 to try valve gear. I would have happily moved up to one of Richard's bigger amps.

Macca
29-03-2013, 10:58
I would give this "bake off" a go.. I do not care for brands or whomever has what.

if the NVA is better then I will sell the brio and get the nva, simples

You can get the NVA on sale or return so why not do that and have the bake off up there in Edinburgh? If you prefer the Brio you send the NVA back for full refund.

RichB
29-03-2013, 11:01

Private Eye-Fi.... Love it mate. Go register this immediately:lol:

Gman, given that the chaps in that corner of the internet went on the attack with me a while ago I'd rather shove wasps up my arse than put any of my hard earned in that direction irrespective of how good the amp is.....ironically I am in the market for a second amp, as you'll know and the one suggested is in my budget :doh:

They were right about one thing though, I am a sucker for people being nice to me when it comes to how I spend my money. Call me old fashioned that way.

Macca
29-03-2013, 11:04
Private Eye-Fi.... Love it mate. Go register this immediately:lol:

Regretably I cannot take the credit. It was the name of an underground trade magazine from many years ago.

julesd68
29-03-2013, 11:06
I am a sucker for people being nice to me when it comes to how I spend my money. Call me old fashioned that way.

You and most of the hi-fi buying populus - it's not rocket science innit ...

Marco
29-03-2013, 11:06
They were right about one thing though, I am a sucker for people being nice to me when it comes to how I spend my money. Call me old fashioned that way.

Richard Dunn doesn't know the meaning of the word 'nice', Rich. Niceness is not a feeling he's at all comfortable with. The sad reality is that he's much happier being angry. He's 'happiest' when he's embroiled in conflict, as he thrives on confrontation. As I've said before, a psychologist would have a field day with him.

Marco.

DSJR
29-03-2013, 11:07
that takes the piss (without being personally nasty) out of the forums and the industry in general

Trouble is, it HAS been personal at times in the past, naming names, rather than the online monika and having a go at the person and their alleged motives rather than the post made, with any response remotely personal (as seen by RD) being deleted as ad hominem.

Best ignore them. Onward and upward way above "their" level :)

Macca
29-03-2013, 11:12
Trouble is, it HAS been personal at times in the past, naming names, rather than the online monika and having a go at the person and their alleged motives rather than the post made, with any response remotely personal (as seen by RD) being deleted as ad hominem.

:)

Exactly. It is unacceptable and should not continue.

Gazjam
29-03-2013, 11:12
The funniest thing was how Dicky-boy reacted, by totally losing the plot, when Gaz DARED to say that he preferred the Rega to the NVA amp, and Duncy threatened to kick him off the forum if he didn't 'behave' (read as kow-tow/pander to the rules of his dictatorship)... Of course he cares not a jot about which amp is considered as best, no sireee - HILARIOUS!! :lol:

He's since "cleaned up" the thread (read as censored remarks that made him look like a tit), much to the annoyance of his resident bum-boys, who one can see are beginning to get fed up with Duncy's antics - doubly HILARIOUS!!! :rfl:

You can sense the unrest in his camp. Yup, sooner rather than later, the old tit will be left all on his lonesome, in his shitehole, talking to himself - and oh how we will laugh........

Marco.

Was a bit shocked tbh at the veiled threats I got from Richard.
All I was doing was pitching in to the discussion having actually compared both amps...would say that qualifies as "vaguely on topic".
All opinions are welcome I was told, immediately before being accused of having an agenda, being insulted (again) and had my posts deleted.

Bizarre.
Even a couple of the guys over there were thinking it was unfair.

Not bothered by it, but the guys not helping himself.

kenworthy100
29-03-2013, 11:14

David, the underpinning rationale of your argument seems to be that were the XTZ to be sold via a dealer network it would sell for around £1300, therefore is it not a veritable bargain at the online price?

The Roksan Kandy K2 clearly is not to your taste, however, it is a well made product utilising high grade electrolytic caps and good quality components, as to being too powerful, I don't understand what you mean by this?

I would agree the Brio R is a fine amp representing good value, however, I do feel there are other meritorious products around this price point and any potential purchaser is wise to listen to these.

Marco
29-03-2013, 11:19

Ad hominem? That's a fooking joke.

He twists the meaning of the term to suit his agenda(s) of the day, yet applies the rules of the concept rigidly to everyone else, especially anyone who dares to disagree with him, such as Gaz, Brian, Bev, Ali Tait, Jerry - the list goes on. Dunn is the master of double standards, and eventually falls out with anyone who won't kow-tow to him. The only ones who survive the experience are those who jerk him off and bolster his ego or are sensible enough to keep him at arm's length.

Those are the plan and simple facts.

The funniest thing, though, is that he doesn't see how ridiculous his behaviour is, and his two acolytes are way too scared of upsetting him to point it out, so instead they take the path of least resistance and kiss his (rather ample) arse cheeks, thus protecting their own interests (keeping him 'on-side', as it were, in case they need his services in future). It's comedy of the highest order!! :D

Anyway, enough of their idiocy for now, let's return to talking about amps! :)

Marco.

DSJR
29-03-2013, 11:21
I understand the XTZ is an online purchase, with a good returns policy if you're not happy?

The K2 sounded all balls and nothing else, the melodic and timbral content of the music well diluted in all the blood and thunder on tap. I don't at all dispute the metal-for-the-money aspect of this now replaced amp, but a £500 Arcam, Rotel 970BX and the Rega Mira absolutely blew it away in the music-reproduction stakes - and it wasn't a small difference either! The bigger NAD integrateds (not the huge silver thingy) were along the same lines I found, the gutsy quality rather overwhelming the music in comparison with their peers in my opinion.

Have I cleared my foggy post a little bit more? I'm relaying my personal experiences here in a demo situation, not generalising from hearsay...

Marco
29-03-2013, 11:36
Was a bit shocked tbh at the veiled threats I got from Richard.
All I was doing was pitching in to the discussion having actually compared both amps...would say that qualifies as "vaguely on topic".
All opinions are welcome I was told, immediately before being accused of having an agenda, being insulted (again) and had my posts deleted.

Bizarre.
Even a couple of the guys over there were thinking it was unfair.

Not bothered by it, but the guys not helping himself.

Gary, you have to remember that you're dealing with a bloke with a mental condition. The man is not right - and I say that in all seriousness. The mistake you made was in thinking you were dealing with someone who thinks rationally!

Anyway, the more you involve yourself with RD, the more you'll drag yourself down into the dark hole that he inhabits. You simply won't get any sense out of him, as he doesn't think like normal people do. My advice, mate, is to steer well clear of his 'forum' (and him) in future.

Marco.

Gazjam
29-03-2013, 11:38
Noted mate.

RichB
29-03-2013, 11:44
Noted.

Anyway Gaz, how's the world of valves after moving on your Rega? I'm keen to hear how the RS3s react to other watts up em!

Gazjam
29-03-2013, 12:12
Rich,
The RS3s LOVE the new amp.

It grips the speakers by the scruff of the neck and drives them in a way the Brio didn't.
It's a 50wpc valve amp, so plenty of grunt...something I hadn't thought valve amps could do until I heard one.
The speakers just stepped up to the plate and sounded better with the new amp.

Been looking at interconnects again..
Guess my system is no longer "All Rega" so got curious about the benefit of changing out from a Rega cable.

Have one on loan atm, have to say its a lot better. Double the price mind so it should be!
http://www.atlascables.com/hyper-symmetrical-rca.html
The Rega Couple bettered Mark Grants HD2000 with copper WBTs in my system, so this is a bit special I think.

Brand new out the box though so its a bit all over the place at the moment, but have it for a few days so time to let it burn in.
Even out the box though it had a quality that marked it as sounding better.

Fair chance my Rega Couple will be up for sale next week methinks.

DSJR
29-03-2013, 12:16
Gary, I can guarantee that the cable in the Atlas cable is no better and probably a lot cheaper than the Klotz-based Couple. The plugs won't be as expensive either, yet the high margins on these things will give higher perceived sonic value.

How can I say this regarding cost of product? - told me by the man who used to market the stuff!!!!!!! The cable is pennies, the plugs a few tens of pennies when bought in bulk abroad and the rest is loverly PROFIT!!! if bought via a dealer, their margin is at least 60% and probably higher if they stock the range, Atlas themselves have to make a living and are these products UK or far-eastern made? Sorry to be a wet blanket on what is quite probably a good product, but these people are here to make money out of you and the more middle-men on an accessory like this, the more you pay after they've taken their profit...

I wonder what you'd think of the standard MG HD1000 (no foo plugs on) - It's only £50 or so?

Gazjam
29-03-2013, 12:59
Gary, I can guarantee that the cable in the Atlas cable is no better and probably a lot cheaper than the Klotz-based Couple. The plugs won't be as expensive either, yet the high margins on these things will give higher perceived sonic value.

How can I say this regarding cost of product? - told me by the man who used to market the stuff!!!!!!! The cable is pennies, the plugs a few tens of pennies when bought in bulk abroad and the rest is loverly PROFIT!!! if bought via a dealer, their margin is at least 60% and probably higher if they stock the range, Atlas themselves have to make a living and are these products UK or far-eastern made? Sorry to be a wet blanket on what is quite probably a good product, but these people are here to make money out of you and the more middle-men on an accessory like this, the more you pay after they've taken their profit...

I wonder what you'd think of the standard MG HD1000 (no foo plugs on) - It's only £50 or so?

Hi Dave,
I've looked into Atlas and the mistake I made was assuming they were a Far East company that buys in cheap cable and rebrands it.

They are a Scottish company and apparently do all the R&D and manufacture on site. Obviously they buy in cable (they don't have their own foundry!) but the cable is made to their spec.

They own the IP rights to everything they manufacture and sell, which marks them out as different in my book.
Also they seem quite open with Technical data and construction methods? Not the usual foo blurry graph, but actual technical papers.

5 year warranty too.

Info here:
http://www.atlascables.com/technology.html

Plugs look good to me...
http://www.atlascables.com/productranges.html

None of that would matter if they sounded crap, turns out they don't.
Leaving them burning in for a few days, then swapping out for the Couples and my MG1000's I use in the bedroom system.

The MGs are very good, I had a set of the 2000's which I sold on when I heard the Rega Couple.
Best way to tell (for me) is not to do the Hifi Buff thing and swap out every 5 minutes to compare, but leave the cables in for a few days, get used to the sound THEN swap in different cables.

Can usually tell right away what's better.
That's the plan anyway. :)

Audioman
29-03-2013, 13:52
Re Atlas - the fact that Selfridges and Harrods sell them makes me think they won't be the best SPPV on the market.

Gazjam
29-03-2013, 14:33
What's SVPP?
Not sure what you mean.

RichB
29-03-2013, 15:58
Sounds great like, I'm pleased the RS3s are still doing it for you... I really do think they are underrated and how many folks must pass them by for their awkward looks.

There's a mate of mine who visits and can't believe the bass they kick out but they don't lose any composure either. One day I'll get brave and start messing round with valve gear and its nice to know they partner well.

Audioman
29-03-2013, 16:07
What's SVPP?
Not sure what you mean.

Meant SPPV - sound per pound value.

julesd68
29-03-2013, 18:34
The RS3s LOVE the new amp.

Gary - what is your new amp??
Sorry if I have missed this elsewhere ...

DSJR
29-03-2013, 19:56
Hi Dave,
I've looked into Atlas and the mistake I made was assuming they were a Far East company that buys in cheap cable and rebrands it.

They are a Scottish company and apparently do all the R&D and manufacture on site. Obviously they buy in cable (they don't have their own foundry!) but the cable is made to their spec.

They own the IP rights to everything they manufacture and sell, which marks them out as different in my book.
Also they seem quite open with Technical data and construction methods? Not the usual foo blurry graph, but actual technical papers.

5 year warranty too.

Info here:
http://www.atlascables.com/technology.html

Plugs look good to me...
http://www.atlascables.com/productranges.html

None of that would matter if they sounded crap, turns out they don't.
Leaving them burning in for a few days, then swapping out for the Couples and my MG1000's I use in the bedroom system.

The MGs are very good, I had a set of the 2000's which I sold on when I heard the Rega Couple.
Best way to tell (for me) is not to do the Hifi Buff thing and swap out every 5 minutes to compare, but leave the cables in for a few days, get used to the sound THEN swap in different cables.

Can usually tell right away what's better.
That's the plan anyway. :)

Lots of answers to possible "issues" there, but if you're buying from a dealer, please be advised he's taking over half your money in this instance..

Glad you like the cable anyway :)

Marco
30-03-2013, 08:39
Noted mate.

Still posting there, though, I see, banging your head against a brick wall and getting sucked into his lunacy? :doh:

Come on, mate, give it up and leave the twat alone with his two arse-lickers, who in time will see him for what he really is. You don't need Dunn or his toytown 'forum', now or ever.

Marco.

Marco
30-03-2013, 12:06
Come on, mate, give it up and leave the twat alone with his two arse-lickers, who in time will see him for what he really is.

Word on the grapevine is that Jammy and Dunn have had a little lovers tiff, resulting in the former stropping off the forum, leaving Duncy with a flea in his ear. Of course, due to censorship/deletion (sorry, "tidying up", haha), at dictatorship central, the whole incident has been removed.......;)

Hilarious!!

Did we do that here when Steve (Floyddroid) posted his leaving thread recently? No. That's because, unlike on HFS, we don't censor stuff that may be considered awkward or uncomfortable for the management team or me to deal with. Such input is left, unedited, in full view for everyone to read - and that's the way it will always be here, because we don't gag people.

In fact, that's why Critic's Corner exists: to allow our members to have their say, whether it be to praise or criticise. How many other forums allow such a facility - and indeed how long do you think such an area would last on Dunn's 'Censorship City'??

Anyway, Jammy is now added to the LONG list of people he's managed to piss off. I suspect that Quinny won't be far behind, when he too sees Dunce for what he really is (a twisted, psychologically damaged control freak). Of course, none of these fall-outs are ever HIS fault. Someone else is ALWAYS to blame!! :doh: :mental:

It's time to take a long hard look in the mirror, Richard, and accept the fact that the sheer number of people you've managed to piss off, points the finger very firmly at YOU for being responsible, and because of that your 'forum' will very soon be an even bigger graveyard than it is now.

Enjoy sitting talking to yourself very soon!

Marco.

JazzBones
30-03-2013, 12:52
Word on the grapevine is that Jammy and Dunn have had a little lovers tiff, resulting in the former stropping off the forum, leaving Duncy with a flea in his ear. Of course, due to censorship/deletion (sorry, "tidying up", haha), at dictatorship central, the whole incident has been removed.......;)

Marco.

Oh me oh my and mama mia, the end of a beautiful partnership, who next Ant and Dec ?:wave: Wonder what the divorce settlement will be :scratch:?

Marco
30-03-2013, 15:16
Lol - probably the cost of a few cables, as that's mostly what Dunn sells anyway... He's far too busy abusing people on his 'forum' to be able to make many amplifiers, that's for sure!!! Chris Frost was spot-on, all those years ago ;)

Mind you, with the 'lash-ups' RD makes, posing as amplifiers, I guess that they don't take long to build....

Anyway, like I said before, we should pity, rather than ridicule him, as it's bad form to mock the afflicted. Hey, Richard, check this link (it describes your condition to a 'T'), and then go and seek some medical help:

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-megalomania.htm

Perhaps NVA should be renamed 'NPD', in honour of your mental illness? :)

Marco.

DSJR
30-03-2013, 17:16
Now, why don't I recommend Tellurium Q cables? Is it because my mate sells them, or could it really be that I haven't heard them, am mindful of Dalek Neil's tirade against my instinct-based generalisations and left them well alone? I admit to the second, with a rider that they're incredibly expensive and if they change the sound as much as claimed, I'm deeply suspicious enough not to want to get involved... I'd rather see how really good some low cost cables can be, that will guarantee to work safely with anything out there and that can be bought and/or made up for very little dosh :ner:

julesd68
30-03-2013, 17:57
I'd rather see how really good some low cost cables can be

Agree entirely - are there any particular cables you are thinking of or using in this category?

Gazjam
30-03-2013, 19:23
Re Atlas - the fact that Selfridges and Harrods sell them makes me think they won't be the best SPPV on the market.

Like the Hasselblad cameras they sell? ;)

Gazjam
30-03-2013, 19:26
Sounds great like, I'm pleased the RS3s are still doing it for you... I really do think they are underrated and how many folks must pass them by for their awkward looks.

There's a mate of mine who visits and can't believe the bass they kick out but they don't lose any composure either. One day I'll get brave and start messing round with valve gear and its nice to know they partner well.

2nd that on the RS3s, with new amp and interconnect they have stepped up a gear...not bad for £350 second hand. :)

They love valve watts up 'em!

Gazjam
30-03-2013, 19:27
Lots of answers to possible "issues" there, but if you're buying from a dealer, please be advised he's taking over half your money in this instance..

Glad you like the cable anyway :)

Cool. :)
It's very good, best I've had in my system.

Gazjam
30-03-2013, 19:34
Still posting there, though, I see, banging your head against a brick wall and getting sucked into his lunacy? :doh:

Come on, mate, give it up and leave the twat alone with his two arse-lickers, who in time will see him for what he really is. You don't need Dunn or his toytown 'forum', now or ever.

Marco.

Honestly it doesn't bother me mate, Water off a ducks back.
Its just a forum like any other, on quite a few.

Its not the friendliest mind, bit of hostility has come my way, but hey ho.
All a bit of stuff and nonsense, no big.

Marco
30-03-2013, 19:51
S'up to you, dude, but it's hours out of your life that you'll never get back!! :doh: ;)

Perhaps you could get Richard to take one of these tests: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/interactivetests/selfesteem.php

The results would likely go some way to explaining why he is the way he is.......

Marco.

DSJR
30-03-2013, 19:59
Agree entirely - are there any particular cables you are thinking of or using in this category?

These interconnects may be a bit basic in every way for some here, but a few I have which do the basics well IMO -

Cheap but good looking phono leads from ebay with "Digital" printed on the metal plug-outers - stupidly cheap but very good tidy sound. far better than the other cheapies on this site, which look like the old bulk Bandridge/Eurochannels style stuff we bought in bulk for tuppence each and sold for a fiver...

The infamous Belkin Pure AV 2.4m phono interconnect. Mine's the light grey one and it sounds and works just fine from my sound card to the Croft preamp. The heavy shielding is much appreciated since there's mains and speaker leads running alongside!

Van Damme - Tour grade flexible coax, shotgun coax (thick jacket), mic cable, twin screened (in one jacket) and pro-patch mic cable which is great for tonearm exit leads - not too capacitive either... I usually have Neutrik Rean plugs on which seem to work well and the sound is pretty even tempered IMO if not the last word in refinement

Belden - two core with "Beldfoil" shield (and another twin core with heavy woven shield designed as a digital cable I believe) - ATC use them (the grey ones) in various gauges and I agree with Marco in that they can sometimes sound a little monochromatic in some setups I've tried for some reason.

Amptastic interconnect - beautifully presented. "May" sound a little grainy, but the ferrite at each end should be fine wired with a Mini-T style amp, so I'm reserving final judgement until I hear it the way it was intended.

Home made Klotz AC110/Neutrik - Fantastic value if you can make it up yourself. Civilised, beefy and refined tonally IMO and seemed to improve with use - oops :lol:

Mark Grant HD1000 and an HD1500 with Neutrik 1/4" jacks at one end - The current price of the HD1000 is great IMO and if the system has a clean treble performance, I don't think you'd dislike them. Put them into a system with a grainy or over-hyped treble and these wires will make it much worse IMO, as any odd-order type of distortion is magnified for some reason..

Coming from a kind member here - an Atratus 1m IC - it would appear that if you like the MG's you may not care for this one. However, I have just the place to put this cable and have high hopes for it :)

Wow, I haven't mentioned Rega once apart from now and my good mate hifi dave doesn't sell any of it - well, he does have part of a drum of blue VD mic cable, but that's it :)

Gazjam
30-03-2013, 20:16
S'up to you, dude, but it's hours out of your life that you'll never get back!! :doh: ;)

Perhaps you could get Richard to take one of these tests: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/interactivetests/selfesteem.php

Marco.

:lol: spilt me soup when I clicked that!

Marco
30-03-2013, 20:21
:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

I'm trying to get him to indulge in some much needed introspection!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introspection

Marco.

Marco
31-03-2013, 06:38
tell you what, why dont I just fuck off.
Bloody children.

remove my membership please.

Told you it would all end in tears, Gaz... Dunn is incapable of maintaining friendly relationships, long term, with anyone who is non-subservient. The only one who gets away with it is his wife! Anyway, perhaps now you may want to reassess your earlier comments:

Honestly it doesn't bother me mate, Water off a ducks back.

Your reaction above doesn't sound like "water off a ducks back" to me!! ;) Face facts: RD won't tolerate anyone who doesn't suck his dick - and DQ is the blowjob master!

Why don't you just leave them to it now at Censorship Central? Continually indulging NPD-boy in his mental illness will only bring you down to his level.

Marco.

brian2957
31-03-2013, 10:36
Marco's right Gary , get yourself out of there . I did read RDs forum when I wanted a bit of 'light' reading , however , my original purpose on joining these forums was to find out about hifi so the hifisubjectivist has nothing to offer me ( or you ) in that area . If I want to learn anything about hifi I come on to a good forum like AOS with decent , helpful members . We don't have to lower ourselves to their level buddy .

julesd68
31-03-2013, 10:54
These interconnects may be a bit basic in every way for some here

Thanks for all those suggestions Dave. For my interconnect running from phono stage to amp, is a shielded cable a must?

DSJR
31-03-2013, 11:04
I'd say so, yes. I remember my Naim amps of old - the Snaic and HiCap to 250 power amp were NOT shielded, the screen merely strengthening the cable itself - taking off when a neighbour had a chimney fore and the fire brigade arrived to deal with it. I had to turn the amps off because the radio breakthrough was almost deafening!!!!!

Gazjam
31-03-2013, 11:09
Told you it would all end in tears, Gaz... Dunn is incapable of maintaining friendly relationships, long term, with anyone who is non-subservient. The only one who gets away with it is his wife! Anyway, perhaps now you may want to reassess your earlier comments:

Your reaction above doesn't sound like "water off a ducks back" to me!! ;) Face facts: RD won't tolerate anyone who doesn't suck his dick - and DQ is the blowjob master!

Why don't you just leave them to it now at Censorship Central? Continually indulging NPD-boy in his mental illness will only bring you down to his level.

Marco.

Nope, no need to reasses anything Marco.
No tears, no drama.

Just made a decision when Richard broke his own rule re: ad homeneim on a whim.
I thought...na, not for me.

DQ talking about how you saying RD was mentally damaged and I laughed...and didn't stick up for him?
He's assuming I just take what people say as fact?
The Self Esteem Test was a joke, I laughed...so what.
Should people maybe be more careful of what they say of others on Forums?
Maybe, but it cuts both ways.
I make my own mind up about people and thats what I was trying to do over there, take folk for what they are not what anyone else says about them. (no offence Marco!)

As it happened all I seemed to be doing was defending myself that I wasn't a shill for MCRU, a spammer or a "Prick".
Why should anyone need to do that...guilty till proven innocent?
Too much hard work guys, sorry.

Ah well, not to worry. Nobody lost a leg or anything.
Its silly nonsense, and I'd prefer not to take up any more of the thread on it, if thats ok.

All it does is keep the feuding between you guys going, and I'd prefer not to be involved thanks.

Gaz.

Canetoad
31-03-2013, 11:18
I have a couple of metres of Furutech uOFC FC-63 coax I want to make a set of interconnects from. Just wondering whether to use Eichmann or Neutrik RCAs. My heart says Eichmann, my bank account says Neutrik. :)

DSJR
31-03-2013, 11:27
Has anyone tried the likes of the Nakamichi locking plugs available on fleabay? Much cheaper and they seem based on a generic type that many OEM manufacturers use in quite expensive interconnects.

Gazjam
31-03-2013, 11:29
I think Brian's tried the Nak plugs?

wiicrackpot
31-03-2013, 12:43
As it happened all I seemed to be doing was defending myself that I wasn't a shill for MCRU, a spammer or a "Prick".
Why should anyone need to do that...guilty till proven innocent?
Too much hard work guys, sorry.

Ah well, not to worry. Nobody lost a leg or anything.
Its silly nonsense, and I'd prefer not to take up any more of the thread on it, if thats ok.

All it does is keep the feuding between you guys going, and I'd prefer not to be involved thanks.

Gaz.
Through here i've been a constant lurker there, up until a month or two back, i never knew about HFS forum,
my limited take is a shame AOS and HFS don't get on as i feel thats the two best forums going at the mo,
he's obviously a very intelligent chap but why ''me against the world'' attitude. :scratch:

r100
31-03-2013, 13:13
.... All it does is keep the feuding between you guys going, and I'd prefer not to be involved thanks.

Gaz.

good for you Gaz.. You have my deep respect for being such a gentleman.

All the best with your business.

brian2957
31-03-2013, 15:55
I think Brian's tried the Nak plugs?

Never tried these Nakamichi RCA plugs matey . They're not much dearer than Neutriks and look to be very good VFM . I may give them a try for my next cable build.

RichB
31-03-2013, 16:31
Right, back to the thread.... So I went north of the border yesterday to visit Gman and hear then Brio-R in his system. I also took him a bit of spare Rega cable I had and one of my DIY mains cable clones.

With another pal in tow we popped out for a nice bit of grub and a few refreshers :cool: then all back to Gmans for a completely unscientific and non alcohol tainted listening session.

Well as I knew already the wee amp rocks! We went through all kinds of genres and a formats, the phono stage in this thing really is a gem. Now I don't share Graeme's fondness for Frank Zappa as he doesn't my love for Pink Floyd, but one of the best sounds of then evening was one of his minty Zappa pressings on his modestly fettled techie.... Real round of applause stuff, I said at the time I could listen to that sound all night and this what the Rega does best.... Yes, people call it musicality and non fatiguing etc but for me that's really what it does. If you want really analytical sounding, dry, crisp or grab you by the scruff forwardness then look elsewhere. We were all too well refreshed to start comparing cable differences, goodness I was middle aged moshing along to some Metallica at one point. What I advised Graeme was rather than try to A/B test these kinds of things he should perhaps leave them in for a week or two then put the original cables back in and then decide what he prefers.

Our other companion, who actually has some nice kit made a lengthy and somewhat incoherent argument for A/B and blind testing, thinking that more of this would somehow bring more people to our hobby and we discussed the expectations of the modern punter at length. We agreed to disagree as I really couldn't give a toss whether other people can hear the differences between types of cable or components. He argues from a standpoint of wanting things proved to him. Anyway I guess that's what happens when 3 sets of ears sit down with some kit, plenty of booze and make merry. A thoroughly enjoyable night, great tunes, lovely amp.... I'he been described as a sheep because of my liking for this amp, I think a pig in muck is more accurate:lol:

brian2957
31-03-2013, 16:50
Glad you enjoyed the day Richard. Hopefully the troops here will be organizing a get together when the weather improves .

RichB
31-03-2013, 20:09
Should also add that I brought back the Marantz CD63 player Graeme was wanting rid of... It has been entertaining me all afternoon. Its not exactly the most realistic interpretation from its internal DAC and all of the bass notes have the same kind of sound to them but its lots of fun. Taking my own advice I'm going to listen to it as is for a week or so before I connect it to my DAC.