PDA

View Full Version : Tangerine Dream

snapper
03-04-2009, 21:34
Zeit eh? You really are a disciple aren't you Snapper?

Yes,I really like Tangerine Dream,especially up to Sorcerer.

It all started during Easter holidays in 1976,when someone gave me a tape of Rubycon.I spent a lot of that time lying on my bunk bed in a caravan,rain hammering off the roof,listening to it on a mono Philips tape recorder.

Happy days.

I managed to get a mint vinyl pressing of Tangerine Dream 1970-1980 just last week,a four box set pressed by Nimbus.Cost me a whopping £1.84.:lolsign:

Do I know you from any of the TeeDee forums by any chance?

Not me,never been on one,Dave.What one would you recommend?

Dave Cawley
03-04-2009, 21:41
Just one word Phaedra : :kiss:

:bag:

Dave

Tolstoi
04-04-2009, 17:06
I used to have the "Encore" album - Live in North America in the late seventies. I think was an interesting and somehow influential band even though I don't know if it's the kind of music I like to listen to nowadays.

Cheers

Joerg

DSJR
05-04-2009, 10:06
TeeDee have their own forum and I'm proud to be an honorary member of the "Barmy Army!!!"

http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/forum/index.php?sid=63abac4da7824ac8863a94f3030552cb

There's another one I post on

http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php?sid=1fa049bb0876643bf88819e88169ef88

The moderator is a lover of SET amps I understand.

My TD story - Easter or Whitsun 1974. I was seventeen and went to hear a client's system - GL75/M75EJ, Armstrong 626 receiver and JBL L26 "Decades." After the usual DSOTM and Mandingo's "Primeval Rhythm Of Life" I was asked if I'd heard of Tangerine Dream. Phaedra came out and after marvelling at the cover, I was knocked sideways by the music. I had my first epiphany listening to this album and I still play it regularly now, finding new things in it each time. Look at my reviews on Amazon UK for a bit more (as DSR).

I love this band, especially the period from 1972 to 1988 (the Chris Franke years I suppose). The solo and offshoot albums are great too. I'm also a huge fan of Redshift, the Moog Modular III belonging to mark Shreeve having phenominal "organic, analogue" power in the sequencers and the music so brilliantly influenced by TD, Klaus Schulze (I can write another essay on him too) and Node. Wonderful for checking bass reproduction in one's system.

Available on FLAC download as well as CD, try "Redshift" and also "Ether" (FLAC only)..

snapper
05-04-2009, 12:07
Thanks for the links Dave.

I've just started to D/L Redshift and Ether,will let you know later if I like them.

Re.Klaus Schulze,I have a few of his albums (about 50),but probably my fave of the German electronic,outwith TD would have to be Ash Ra Tempel - Friendship.:smoking:

I'm on the lookout for un-remastered CD versions of Alpha Centauri,Zeit and Atem,if anyone can help.:eyebrows:

DSJR
05-04-2009, 15:01
I've got the Jive issued Atem you can have for a very small consideration if you like, but not the other two, as they're a bit too raw for me (and I only have Zeit on the original Ohr LP pressings, so don't need the CD at present).

You sure about Atem on un-remastered issues? TD put their own DQX (?) system on them and I think the castle issue Atem sounds amazing - more like you've entered the control room at mixdown, rather than listening from the corridor outside.............

I'm a Manuel Gottsching (Ashra) fan as well, but budgetary constraints have prevented me from buying much of his later stuff apart from @shra 1 a couple of years ago. The re-union with herr Schulze does eeem good though on the clips I've heard on the Ashra site.

Currently on my playlist from the above artists - KS: Mirage, Kontinuum and Timewind. Ashra: New Age of Earth, Blackouts and "Inventions." TeeDee: Anything my car CD gets to (Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, White Eage, Phaedra 2005 [UGGHH!!], Invisible Limits remix (by Nick Mason). Redshift: Redshift and Blueshift pt1 (Mirage meets Rubycon)........

Amazing how well the tweaked BC2's cope with those bass lines as long as I don't want monitoring levels..... :)

snapper
05-04-2009, 15:21
Hi Dave

The ones I have on CD are the Castle remasters from 1996,starting with the code ESM CD.Are these the ones you're referring to?

I'll have another listen to Atem and Alpha Centauri,but to me,Zeit sounds dreadful,lots of distortion.

DSJR
05-04-2009, 15:52
I'm a right tw@t!

I've just dug my remastered Atem out and it's a SANCTUARY re-master from 2002... The other CD I refer to is from the late eighties (when I bought it) and is from the Jive era (when they also did the "From The beginning" LP box, which I have)

Now, re-issues I can take, but how many bloody re-masterings do these things need, unless the CD glass masters don't get passed on along with the production analogue and digital tapes?????

Currently playing an LP (shock-horror!!!) - Jerry Goodman & Jan Hammer - Like Children! These seventies LP's sound great on the BC2's. The slightly forward LP balance suiting the laid back BBC balance well in this instance. Got Jan Hammer's "First seven Days" and David Bowie's "Station To Station" on LP's backed up and ready to go afterwards..

snapper
05-04-2009, 19:35
Got David Bowie's "Station To Station" on LP backed up and ready to go afterwards..

I've been listening to quite a lot of Bowie recently,Live and Stage especially but Station To Station is my favourite.

Fancy a new sleeve for your LP?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170313070826

:mental:

Got to go it's :cool: time.

foxysounds
11-04-2009, 11:50
My introduction to Tangerine Dream was the album Tangram. This just blew me away at the time and I still love it now. Exit (by the same line-up) is also very good. I also like the Froese, Haslinger, Franke line-up (Tyger, Underwater Sunlight etc).

Simon.

Spectral Morn
11-04-2009, 21:17
Currently playing an LP (shock-horror!!!) - Jerry Goodman & Jan Hammer - Like Children! These seventies LP's sound great on the BC2's.n"

Hi Dave

I must say that I like Jerry Goodman quite a lot. I have a few of his albums on Cd such as Its Alive. Nice Jazz fusion.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
15-04-2009, 23:10
I've got thousands of albums, covering genres of all types and I like to think I've a good knowledge of music but I confess to knowing next to nothing about Tangerine Dream. This astounds me!

I have a CD of Phaedra which I got from the local library last year. Don't take this the wrong way, but I often listen to it when I want to go to sleep. I really like it, but I suspect that I don't know the end as well as I know the begining!!!!!

I actually went to see them in the early 80's - Brighton Dome, during a time when I tried to go to every gig I possibly could.

I enjoyed it..............

..........but here's the thing.

I can't seem to really engage myself with this music. I want to know why, so I guess that means I'll be getting more of their music in the future!

DSJR
16-04-2009, 08:49
TD's Virgin period CD's are very cheap on Amazon UK and I'd recommend you buy a few..

Phaedra isn't the best to fall asleep to, I'd recommend the earlier "Zeit" for that purposezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz if you ever try Phaedra again, play the last two tracks first - Movements of a Visionary and Sequent c...

Rubycon is probably the most "complete" and mighty release of that period. Twenty hours of recordings for 37 minutes of sublime electronically based music. Ricochet is another live "compilation" from this period of mostly improvisation, yet there is a pre-composed sequence in part 2 which was recorded for the album at a Croydon concert and I heard in Aylesbury a few days later. As for the truly awsome "Sorcerer Soundtrack.........."

The thing with Tangerine Dream is that there is around 40 years of recording in various styles to choose from, from the improvised electronic soundscapes of the early to mid seventies, to the composed, preset-&-preprogrammed and sometimes romantic mid eighties. I tend to go for the "Chris Franke/Peter Baumann/Johnnes Schmoelling" eras spanning 1972 untill 1988, finding the nineties output too percussion and "poppy."

The current output shows a return to some kind of decent form, but the numerous CD, "cupdisc" and DVD releases are too expensive for me to buy right now and seem to be appearing in something of a flood of releases. The nineties albums have found new distribution and have been re-released - something like 70 titles at the last count........

Interesting that I didn't care much for the father/son partnership (look on a Phaedra gatefold and spot the then little boy hiding in the cosmic swirls of the artwork), yet the son Jerome has released a couple of excellent synth'd guitar based albums recently.

One final set of recommendations - Edgar Froese's Epsilon In Malasian Pale (original 1975 issue - Maroubra Bay is amazing to a Mellotron/Moog-head like me ) and the two sublime Peter Baumann recordings "Romance '76" and "Trans harmonic Nights." The latter two are out of print but Tony L on PFM may be able to locate an LP or two perhaps... Johannes Schmoelling has also recorded some awsome solo work, but there is a trend with some of these German artists to re-record or modify earlier work and I don't know whether it's because they cannot get the originals re-released or that they were genuinely unhappy with them. The former I suspect...