PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD 165 deal or no deal...?

Jimbo
19-03-2013, 22:03
Anyone have any thoughts on Thorens TD 165 or tried one? Is it any good ?

Rare Bird
19-03-2013, 22:12
Yeh not bad at all they came out around 1972 to mid 70's..

Dingdong
19-03-2013, 22:20
It's alright, depending on the price.

walpurgis
20-03-2013, 09:51
Yeh not bad at all they came out around 1972 to mid 70's..

Andr'e, isn't that basically a TD160 with the plastic inner platter? I can't remember what the differences were.

Audioman
20-03-2013, 10:03
Andr'e, isn't that basically a TD160 with the plastic inner platter? I can't remember what the differences were.

TD160 lite - get a proper 160 or better still a 160S. Will sound quite a lot better.
Depends on your budget though.

hifi_dave
20-03-2013, 10:10
It's OK, nothing special. If the price is right, it's worth a listen.

jollyfix
20-03-2013, 10:12
There is a Thorens 165 for sale in Oxfam not far from me, not good condition and they are asking £130.00 for it. All for charity i know but...:eek:

DSJR
20-03-2013, 12:11
The TD165 sounded lousy IMO and if it's purely down to the plastic inner hub, then it may be possible to find a proper one and substitute it if the bearing shaft is of the correct diameter (it did change over the deck's long life). The arm was a simpler one than the 160 main model, but not necessarily inferior as long as the bearings are properly adjusted for minimal slop. Obviously, the thing is a springy belt drive with all the faff that goes with it - siting, possible pitch woes if the belt is worn etc etc. and in all honesty, a Rega Planar 2 in good working order will sonically out-perform it (in stock form) quite comfortably IMO.

DON'T pay much for it is my advice :)

Jimbo
20-03-2013, 12:40
The TD165 sounded lousy IMO and if it's purely down to the plastic inner hub, then it may be possible to find a proper one and substitute it if the bearing shaft is of the correct diameter (it did change over the deck's long life). The arm was a simpler one than the 160 main model, but not necessarily inferior as long as the bearings are properly adjusted for minimal slop. Obviously, the thing is a springy belt drive with all the faff that goes with it - siting, possible pitch woes if the belt is worn etc etc. and in all honesty, a Rega Planar 2 in good working order will sonically out-perform it (in stock form) quite comfortably IMO.

Thanks for the advice Dave, I didnt know much about the 165 and although the earlier Thorens decks are obviously well thought of I just wondered if this model was worth looking at if it came up cheap.

Jimbo
20-03-2013, 12:51
TD160 lite - get a proper 160 or better still a 160S. Will sound quite a lot better.
Depends on your budget though.

I have seen TD160B with SME 3009 tonearm, believe this was classic combo. Does anyone have an experience with this model?

Rare Bird
20-03-2013, 13:24

The 'TD165' was out the same time as the 'TD160 .Mk.I'.The 'TD165' uses a plastic sub platter with 10mm diameter bearing shaft. Theres plenty 'TD160' sub-platters turn up on Auction.. Do what you will with the 'original 'TP11' arm but they can be removed fit a fresh armboard.

walpurgis
20-03-2013, 16:13
Don't be put off Thorens by any of the foregoing, they are good turntables. They aren't really temperamental and once set up tend to stay the way and setting up is pretty undemanding if you're practical. I've had several and had no bother.

I read the comments, but me personally, I'd have a Thorens TD150 or TD160 over a Rega planar 2 or 3 anytime and I don't like Rega arms anyway. The Thorens have a more substantial sound to them in my experience.

One of the TD160 variants is probably the best choice. The TD150 is very cramped for space in its original plinth and you'll end up wanting a bigger one and the spring rates seem better chosen on the TD160 (they may be the same for all I know, but they seem less bothersome). Getting arm mounting boards for the TD160 is easier too.

Rare Bird
20-03-2013, 17:31
You migt have trouble fitting a Rega because of the '165' sub-Chassis arm access cutout shape.

Edit: Geoff Thorens decks are one of the decks ive bought most of over the years, i even used to make plinths for them.. Re: your comment about the 'TD150'. What i did on many occasion was make the 'TD150' plinth to house a wider armboard..btw the 'TD150' platter is heavier. I used to like my old 'TD160 ATR version with Mayware i bought in the early 80's..

walpurgis
20-03-2013, 19:25
I had a TD150 which I built a larger plinth and armboard for and used a fluid damped Decca International arm on, using Decca London Blue and ADC 10E Mk.IV cartridges. It sounded very nice.

spendorman
20-03-2013, 20:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoxTv2E7L58

walpurgis
20-03-2013, 20:42
I just watched that Alex. Sums it up nicely, well spotted.