PDA

View Full Version : James Last

Audio Al
18-03-2013, 14:37
Having purchased a job lot of LP's at the boot sale this included a James Last LP , I kept looking at it and not playing it

Until today :)

Its quite good , very musical

Does this mean I am getting old :lol:

Concerto Audio
18-03-2013, 14:47
I remember listening to JL when i was 15...and after few decades later now still hates his music.....does that mean I am still 15.

I wish I was:lol:

Nigel
18-03-2013, 15:43
James Last cut a decent jazz funk fusion LP, "Well Kept Secret." Recorded Los Angeles in 1975 it features Larry Carlton, Tom Scott, Ernie Watts amongst others. Maybe this is the album you're enjoying?

DSJR
18-03-2013, 16:54
The late 80's LP's were in the Mantovani mould, and the musicians he's used have always been excellent. It was the "Trumpet a Go-Go" era I hate so much, but it made him shedloads of dosh I suspect.....

Haselsh1
18-03-2013, 18:45
The late 80's LP's were in the Mantovani mould, and the musicians he's used have always been excellent. It was the "Trumpet a Go-Go" era I hate so much, but it made him shedloads of dosh I suspect.....

James Last... he sure should've been. Trumpets a Go Go, I ask you :rolleyes:

Mr Kipling
18-03-2013, 20:52
Having purchased a job lot of LP's at the boot sale this included a James Last LP , I kept looking at it and not playing it

Until today :)

Its quite good , very musical

Does this mean I am getting old :lol:

In a word - !!YES!!

You old bugger!

No offense!

As long as I have breath in me, I'll never listen to him. Then again. . .

When I was younger and used to see Herb Alpert lps on markets and in charity shops I automatically used to dismiss them. And then I saw the documentary on him on BBC 4 last year, and my view on him changed.

synsei
18-03-2013, 22:42
Does this mean I am getting old

Yes... :lol: ;)

Canetoad
19-03-2013, 14:00
My parents had a James Last LP they used to play when I was growing up. I still remember his version of El Condor Pasa. I reckon he's rather good for orchestral stuff. :)

synsei
19-03-2013, 16:56
All jokes aside, I inherited my Mum's James Last and Bert Kaempfert collection after she died, she was a huge fan of both. Many of these records are in mint condition and originate from the late 60's and 1970's and they are all superbly produced. :cool:

Rare Bird
19-03-2013, 16:59
PZ_SUMRBKH0

:sofa:

Mr Kipling
19-03-2013, 18:36
Dogs bark. Cats meow. And James Last is old man's music. I'm sorry, but those are the facts.

Just don't tell me you're sitting there sucking on an Everton Mint, yer typical Old Man's Sweet, Al.

Mr Kipling
19-03-2013, 20:39
A short time ago a classic '60s orchestral tune came to mind which I'd totally forgot about: Soul Coaxing by one Raymond LeFevre. Name's a lot more classy than James Last for a start.

The other classic for me is A Touch of Velvet - A Sting of Brass by Mood Mosaic with Mark Wirtz better known for his collaboration with Keith West on A Teenage Opera. Brill recording.