PDA

View Full Version : FS: Technics SL-1210 Mk2 modified

mido
18-03-2013, 11:18
I have enjoyed my little foray into the world of Technics, having owned two of these decks in the past year. However, I have decided to dedicate a bit more time and energy to my Lenco project, need some funds, so this one is up for sale. This deck has Isonoe feet fitted as well as a Soundsupports arm board cut for arms of Linn geometry. I used my straight armed Jelco SA-250 which was a great match sonically. I have to say that I was amazed at how much detail could be had from such a modestly priced turntable set up. Arm is not included in sale.

I asked my retired Hi-Fi engineer friend to do some basic internal mods. In short, he boosted some of the tracks inside using silver wire and added an additional 1000uf capacitor at the feed to the main regulator transistor bringing the total to 1470uf. He also increased the smoothing capacitor after the main regulator to 47uf from from 22uf.

All chips were additionally decoupled from supply to earth pins with 0.22uf capacitors and the main transformer has been additionally shielded with the same material used, G.O.S.S (Grain Orientated Silicon Steel) in order to further eliminate any stray field.

I haven’t heard a Technics with an offboard PSU, which can obviously still be added to this one if required, but I can confirm that with these mods, the deck appears to sound cleaner and sharper in the high frequencies and better controlled in the bass. It is definitely more open and lyrical than in stock form with the greatest improvement, for me, being that music just has a better sense of fluency about it. It is hard to put it in words, all I can say is it just flows better.

Outwardly, the deck is in excellent condition, it really was immaculate, like new, when I bought it and it had had little use by one careful owner. It is still in almost mint condition save for one tiny mark by the arm board. It is only really perceptible under direct light and on close inspection. Lid is also in excellent condition. The only other thing to mention is that the little stylus light at the front does not function. This wasn’t replaced as I never used it anyway.

Taking into account the excellent condition, the mods, Isonoe feet etc, I am asking £295 for this deck. I would prefer collection from London, but can courier if required.

Thing Fish
18-03-2013, 11:55
Lovely looking deck Frank. Someone will snap it up at that price especially with those feet already costing what they do...:eek:

Marco
18-03-2013, 14:59
That's a real bargain, Frank - I'm sure that someone will snap it up soon!

I asked my retired Hi-Fi engineer friend to do some basic internal mods. In short, he boosted some of the tracks inside using silver wire and added an additional 1000uf capacitor at the feed to the main regulator transistor bringing the total to 1470uf. He also increased the smoothing capacitor after the main regulator to 47uf from from 22uf.

All chips were additionally decoupled from supply to earth pins with 0.22uf capacitors and the main transformer has been additionally shielded with the same material used, G.O.S.S (Grain Orientated Silicon Steel) in order to further eliminate any stray field.

Interesting, particularly (for me) the bits in bold. I'll float that past Paul Hynes and see if he thinks there's any mileage in dong those mods to my own T/T...

Good luck with the sale! :)

Marco.

mido
18-03-2013, 15:32
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Perhaps it's too cheap, I have had enquiries already :)

Marco, if you want a bit more detail on those mods just let me know.

Marco
18-03-2013, 20:34
Churz, dude. Will do! :)

Marco.

Frankyc2003
18-03-2013, 21:12
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Perhaps it's too cheap, I have had enquiries already :)

Marco, if you want a bit more detail on those mods just let me know.

Following Marco's comment, my curiosity has been tickled by your post...
Do you have some pics of the upgraded PCB by any chance..? (you can Pm me...)

And Come on someone grab that amazing piece of kit QUICK! At that price this is a no brainer! Audio bliss for someone!

Good luck with the sale!

:cool:

RobbieGong
18-03-2013, 22:02
Following Marco's comment, my curiosity has been tickled by your post...
Do you have some pics of the upgraded PCB by any chance..? (you can Pm me...)

And Come on someone grab that amazing piece of kit QUICK! At that price this is a no brainer! Audio bliss for someone!

Good luck with the sale!

:cool:

Me too! hopefully Marco will get back with some feedback from Paul ;)

UV101
19-03-2013, 07:32
Not wanting to hijack this thread but the bump might help. If you guys are after a modified / re-capped board PM me. My workshop is almost back together after my move and i'd gladly recap / mod your board for the cost of parts and a few beers ;) pm me if you are interested.

Wakefield Turntables
19-03-2013, 12:14
I had my board recapped by Paul Haynes and the difference is NOT subtle. ;)

mido
23-03-2013, 06:58
Bump

Thing Fish
23-03-2013, 10:20
I can't believe this is still for sale. It would make a great deck for someone.

mido
29-03-2013, 12:22
Someone pm'ed me about the Isonoes, but I can't remember who and cleared my inbox :doh:

Anyway, get back in touch if you are still interested. I still have the original box for them.

Thanks,

Frank

mido
31-03-2013, 06:31
Up to now I have perhaps been a little too dogged in my attempts to sell this deck exactly as advertised.

I do have a Technics tonearm which can be re-installed onto this deck. So, any offers for any combination are welcome - e.g. deck as advertised, or with Technics arm, with or without Isonoes, Linn armboard etc etc.

The fella that was interested in the Isonoes hasn't got back to me so if anyone else is interested in those just let me know.

Thanks,

Frank :)

mido
10-04-2013, 14:59
Turntable sold.