PDA

View Full Version : What's next?

Brando
18-03-2013, 04:18
Hi forum, I just completed my first audio system so where do I go next?

Bowers & Wilkins CM-1 speakers
Rotel RA-1520 amp
Arcam rDAC
Mac mini audio source via USB
Monster cabling

So what's next? Where should I go from here? I love the sound I'm getting but I'm never satisfied and this is a new obsession.

Audio Al
18-03-2013, 06:40
New turntable ?

?v=SfIUh0S7yTQ

:D:D:D

John
18-03-2013, 06:52
Tell us about what you want and what you feel is missing
Also a bit about your room and your budget
I would hear as many different systems as you can and get a sense about the kind of sound you like, and what you do not like. In the end it save you a lot of money in the future
I spent far to much money chasing upgrades and think its better to really have a sense of what you looking for first

hifi_dave
18-03-2013, 18:15
If you "love the sound" - why bother anymore ? Just enjoy the system and spend more money on going out enjoying yourself..

chelsea
18-03-2013, 18:23
If you have to change,i'd stick it all the money into the speakers.

RichB
18-03-2013, 18:26
Just buy heaps of music, something to drink (or smoke) and enjoy the music. Book a holiday and have a week away from your stereo then enjoy it even more when you get back.

Haselsh1
18-03-2013, 18:41
If you "love the sound" - why bother anymore ? Just enjoy the system and spend more money on going out enjoying yourself..

Mines a pint of Old Speckled Hen and if you're feeling really flush we'll follow it up with a chicken Naga Bahar... Cheers

hifi_dave
18-03-2013, 18:56
Not so sure about the "Naga", I prefer a Dhansak but the Old Speckled Hen works a treat as does Doombar.

Haselsh1
18-03-2013, 19:11
Not so sure about the "Naga", I prefer a Dhansak but the Old Speckled Hen works a treat as does Doombar.

Mmmm... and Abbott Ale but I don't want to hijack this thread

Haselsh1
18-03-2013, 19:13
New turntable ?

?v=SfIUh0S7yTQ

That looks like a damn fine piece of engineering but I'm sure I passed something like that in the middle of the North Sea.

southall-1998
18-03-2013, 19:21
New turntable ?

?v=SfIUh0S7yTQ

Wouldn't be suprised if that ugly shit sounds no better than a Rega P3 :ner::D

Rothchild
18-03-2013, 19:24
Acoustic treatment for your room and loads of music.

If there's any left after that bottle of grappa, bottle of scotch, some wine, some beer and an invite for your mates!

johnwhit
18-03-2013, 19:45
If you have to change,i'd stick it all the money into the speakers.

Agreed, I'll take them nasty CM 1's off your hands free of charge, save you cluttering up the house;):lol:

John

Brando
25-03-2013, 01:47
I'm more of a Basil Hayden man myself. I think I will enjoy this system for a while. It has good range of sound. Any thoughts on a new album to pick up this weekend? I'm a fan of all genre.

MikeMusic
26-03-2013, 13:04
Hi forum, I just completed my first audio system so where do I go next?

Bowers & Wilkins CM-1 speakers
Rotel RA-1520 amp
Arcam rDAC
Mac mini audio source via USB
Monster cabling

So what's next? Where should I go from here? I love the sound I'm getting but I'm never satisfied and this is a new obsession.
You want more music ?
You can get it
:)
Start at the front end and work forward
Initially at least keep your existing kit
Can you easily use one spur or circuit for the hifi only ....?
If not next move is unswitched sockets on the wall for each item of kit.
The difference is like a few £100s upgrade. Will make you smile and shake your head.
A good mains block will help if you can't do that, but you should
Try some mains cables for source and then the other bits of kit if you like the results - I did and upgraded quite a long way to MCRU Ultimates
Good supports for the kit can be knocked up or bought for small of big money.
Again it makes a difference you will like
Check out the room to see if it is too reflective or too absorbent and fix accordingly.
Look at different positions on the room for a good sound. You may have a good one you may not
Look at interconnects, you can spend little or large. I started little and upgraded to Yannis's wonderful items
The real plus about all of the above is the kit can stay or go and the cables, supports can stay or be upgraded separately

Keep asking question here and get more music out of whatever you have
:)