PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the east mids, uk

gariusmacus
17-03-2013, 23:00
hi all,
Im Gary, ex Londoner now living in the east midlands.
I have been an audiophile for about 35 years. I have had several different amps nd speakers over the years, Upgrading whenever I could afford to. In the past I have had rotel/sansui amps homemade Wharfdales and Marantz 5g speakers. I still have tho no longer use a AR cambridge A60 amp.

my current set up is a Thorens TD 160 mkII which I've had since new in about 1980, I have recently carried out the chadwick mods to it. It is fitted with the original TP16 and an Ultimo (Dynavector) 10a MC cartridge. Marantz CD6003 cd player, Quad 99 pre/power amps, quad 21L speakers.
My taste in music is pretty eclactic, good music IS good music whatever the genre. You know when your getting old when you realise almost every 33 you own is now considered a classic! and quite a few of the cd's are too.
my next project is to build a RCM.
well I thinks thats enough rabbit form me for now.
Gary

The Grand Wazoo
17-03-2013, 23:05
Hi Gary,
Welcome to AOS from me.
I know what you mean about record collections. It was pointed out to me a few years ago that the current teenagers/early twenty somethings are the first generation who's parents record collection is cooler than theirs!

There are a few TD 160 owners here who might like to know a bit more about the work you've done to your turntable.

Welcome once again.
Cheers

synsei
17-03-2013, 23:08
Us Londoners do seem to gravitate towards the East Midlands, wonder why? I like your philosophy on music Gary, I agree 100%, good music is good music. I too have many 'classics', one of the benefits of age I guess... :lol:

gariusmacus
20-03-2013, 22:44
Thanks for the welcome, Yes if any TD 160 owners want a run down on the mods (there pretty easy to do) they can give me a shout, was thinking of posting some pics up for it.
I should be starting on my RCM at the weekend.

Yh drifted to the East Mids from London, Via Portugal (long story).

We may have the coolest music but try telling that to my 18 year old great niece who thinks one direction are the greatest band in the history of the world. I Got No chance of persuading her to listen to DSOM 40th anniversary on Sunday.

Cheers again
Gary

Richiebuoy
21-03-2013, 09:03
Welcome Gary.... One direction are great but I prefer Justin Bieber .... his music is fab :mental:

gariusmacus
21-03-2013, 10:03
Welcome Gary.... One direction are great but I prefer Justin Bieber .... his music is fab :mental:

My head is in a spin, you made my mouth smile and my ears sick :lol:

MartinT
05-04-2013, 07:01
Hi Gary and welcome to AoS. I have fond memories of an Ultimo cartridge in my youth. Nothing wrong with having a collection of classics!

Alex_UK
05-04-2013, 08:10
good music IS good music whatever the genre

:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum from me too, Gary - hope you enjoy it here. :)