PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Spain

EarToday
17-03-2013, 19:43
Hello everyone,

A quick (ha) introduction.

I've always been into music - listening as well as playing (I listen better than I play though) but gave away all my vinyl - argh! - a few years ago after not playing it for a long time.

When I came over to Spain, from the UK, a couple of years ago I bought a cheap set of 5.1 satellite speakers and have been listening to music either via them or an ipad or laptop...

We recently moved to a bigger house and had some of our furniture etc sent over. This included a couple of pairs of floorstanders (Celestion F30s) and some Gale Gold Monitor MK2s.

This set me off again. I upgraded my Onkyo NR-509 to a Yamaha RX-V673. Bought a pair of Tannoy Mercury M3s locally cheap. Added a matching MC center speaker and a pair of M1s for the back. Not the best speakers in the world but they're ok (especially now they are on spikes - we have very uneven stone floors).

A couple of months ago I bought a pair of B&W DM5s for 40 euros and restored them (the tweeters were buggered, needed new bitumen panels, external woodwork etc). Just waiting on the capacitors to re-cap them. Spent quite a bit on them but they're wonderful.

They sound better than any speakers I've ever had and this has renewed my interest in music, rather than tv/films, even further.

So, as well as the 7.1 setup for tv etc, I've got the B&W's in the room too (it's big enough to hold 10 speakers ok... I think!)

I wanted a suitable amp for the DM5s so I bought a NAD 320. I also picked up a Marantz cd63 mk2 KI (and I also use my Sony BDP-S380 blu-ray player for SACD - using the Yam or the NAD depending on whether I want surround or stereo).

I also use the satellite receiver for digital radio stations.

The Yamaha is connected to the NAD via Zone 2, so I can play from Spotify/airplay/server etc to the NAD and the DM5s. The best of both worlds!

I found this forum searching for information on the Thorens TD150 MKII turntable, because I've just picked one up today for 50 euros.

I've decided to get back into vinyl and, after enjoying restoring the DM5s, I've decided I'd like to restore and re-plinth a turntable.

I'm also going to buy another more modern turntable for immediate daily use whilst I work on the Thorens.

So, that's me in a (very large) nutshell. Just starting back on my journey into properly listening to music - and starting off restoring old equipment along the way. Already having great fun!

Thanks
John

Audio Al
17-03-2013, 20:50
Hello John

Welcome to the forum , sounds like you have lots to do , You have followed the path of many " selling your vinyl and regretting it " hope you sort something out soon

Have fun on the forum and feel free to ask any questions :)

EarToday
17-03-2013, 20:55
Hello John

Welcome to the forum , sounds like you have lots to do , You have followed the path of many " selling your vinyl and regretting it " hope you sort something out soon

Have fun on the forum and feel free to ask any questions :)

Thanks Al!

If only I had sold it - I GAVE it to someone in their 20s just getting in to vinyl! Ah well... ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

Thing Fish
17-03-2013, 21:24
Hi John...:wave:

EarToday
17-03-2013, 21:29
Hi John...:wave:

Hi Dave! Thanks!