PDA

View Full Version : New Record Shop... I mean NEW records!!!

WOStantonCS100
16-03-2013, 22:57
Other side of the pond... sorry 'bout that; but...

Today, I returned to a favorite shop of mine. Well, they've expanded into two shops. The original shop ONLY sells NEW vinyl now... and LOTS of it. Wall to wall, actually. Just about everything I've seen online is in this shop and some stuff I haven't seen. Reasonably priced, too. I haven't seen the likes of that since I was a teenager... almost 20 years ago. :yay: I actually have a reason to NOT buy online. Simply, amazing! And for those who argue, the place was packed with 20 somethings not old fogey's like me. Call 'em hipsters or fad purchasers or whatever. They were there. They were into it. And, they were buying vinyl... not just looking.

And, it's 2013!!!

Yep, what they say is true, indeed. Vinyl is dead.

Wait for it...

:lol: :rfl:

synsei
16-03-2013, 23:00
That just made my evening Biff... :youtheman: :band:

Alex_UK
16-03-2013, 23:06
Great to hear that Biff! Maybe all is not lost, after all!

WOStantonCS100
16-03-2013, 23:27
Okay... me lovely wife just pointed out that 20 yrs. ago I was still older than a teenager. (Whatever. :rolleyes:) Nevertheless, that just emphasizes my point. :) :D

The Grand Wazoo
17-03-2013, 01:36
Great stuff - I'm jealous.
I have a good independent shop about 20 miles away that's doing well, but I bought what must have been my last records from an HMV shop today. I haven't bought stuff from them for years, but I took a look at the closing down sale & got a few things.

Driving home, I was trying to remember what might have been the first records I bought in an HMV and when it would have been.
It was probably almost 34 years ago and I think it may have been Black Sabbath - 'We Sold Our Soul For Rock & Roll', for which I paid £2.99. All the NEMS albums had been recently re-released - £1.99 for the single disc issues!

Marco
17-03-2013, 20:35
Nice one, Biff, but one important detail is missing... WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE SHOP?? :lol:

A link to their website would also be good ;)

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
17-03-2013, 23:11
Nice one, Biff, but one important detail is missing... WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE SHOP?? :lol:

A link to their website would also be good ;)

Marco.

"Grimey's". (http://www.grimeys.com/) They also run "The Basement" music venue in, of course, the basement.

It'll be a bit of a drive for you, Marco... and they might question your preferred attire ;); but, here ya go. The photos are a bit old as whole rows of CD's have been replaced by... in one instance, bins of new Mo-Fi pressings! There's a Blue Note section... I should have snapped some pics.

synsei
17-03-2013, 23:17
You lucky so & so Biff, what a wonderful store to have on your doorstep, I could spend hours in there... :cool:

WOStantonCS100
17-03-2013, 23:31
You lucky so & so Biff, what a wonderful store to have on your doorstep, I could spend hours in there... :cool:

Lucky? This could ultimately lead to my demise. :lol:

Hearing about HMV, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't in the hands of the small retailers to take back the market. Over here, we've lost the big bricks and mortar shops, Blockbuster, Tower, etc. but the mom and pop shops are still around... almost all of them, if I recollect correctly. The huge store with the coffee shop inside was a fun idea; but, perhaps it's just not practical in these days and times. Personally, I don't mind the idea of the "small shop". I prefer it actually. Just thinkin' out loud...

The Grand Wazoo
17-03-2013, 23:37
The small guys are absolutely the ones to carry on the business of selling records and so they should be because they're the ones who actually care about the music - it's not just a product.

synsei
17-03-2013, 23:41
The small guys are absolutely the ones to carry on the business of selling records and so they should be because they're the ones who actually care about the music - it's not just a product.

+1 with bells on... ;)

Marco
18-03-2013, 07:11
"Grimey's". (http://www.grimeys.com/) They also run "The Basement" music venue in, of course, the basement.

It'll be a bit of a drive for you, Marco... and they might question your preferred attire ;); but, here ya go. The photos are a bit old as whole rows of CD's have been replaced by... in one instance, bins of new Mo-Fi pressings! There's a Blue Note section... I should have snapped some pics.

Lol! Thanks for that, Biff. I have no intention of going (well, unless we hit that part of the US when we visit your fab country, something that we're planning to do in the next couple of years), but I thought, since it was so good, that the shop deserved a mention! :)

Let's all salute Grimey's! :respect:

Marco.

P.S Next time you go, snap some pics.

daytona600
20-03-2013, 20:39
Can i vote for my record shop