PDA

View Full Version : Which turntable...?

Jimbo
16-03-2013, 17:42
Having sorted out other parts of my system, although working backwards I am now looking for a turntable to return back to vinyl after a 25 year gap! My system consists of Spendor SP2 mk1 speakers and Croft 25R pre and Series 7 powder amp. I was thinking of using a Decca cartridge again so this would need to be taken into consideration.

Recommendations from you folk at AOS would be great as I am scratching my head with what to get what with so much choice out there. Would be good to narrow it down to a couple though before I listen and make my choice:)

Rare Bird
16-03-2013, 17:44
Since it's AOS dont be suprised to be bombarded with Techy recommendations :lolsign:

Audio Al
16-03-2013, 17:46
Budget ?

Jimbo
16-03-2013, 17:50
No budget but would be good to keep turnatable and arm under £2000!

DSJR
16-03-2013, 17:54
Usual question - how much dosh is available? edit - seen the post above and £2K opens up a huge world of alternatives. My suggestions below are based on practical experiences, but obviously the choice is very much wider for you....

Looking at new currently available product, the NAS AceSpace with matching arm is a marriage in heaven for a Decca, since Tom Fletcher used them exclusively for many years until the dark ages of extreme unreliability hit the Decca's in the 90's. Mostly sorted now and Decca's can be serviced for not too much money should you have a failure, which isn't uncommon with the new ones still, sadly...

For convenience sake, and a good arm able to take a Decca, a Rega RP6 is another contender (get the white "improved" belt for extra speed stability), as is the RP8, which takes the whole "Rega" concept much further (light quick and very clear sound with no bass overhang). Not sure how Pro-ject tonearms would take to a Decca I'm afraid, and until I try it, the new Funk deck also may not be ideal (although Arthur has some very interesting ideas about tonearm mass and bass resonances etc.), although the novel new tonearm he does looks a fab item for other cartridges - not another bodged-out Rega derivative either thankfully....

On the used market, the Techie path has been very well trod and for a grand, you may be able to get one, with a Jelco 750 arm (has optional damping that the Decca needs a little of). I have to say that the Thorens 125 I had with Rega R200, made a very unlikely platform for the Deccapodded Gold Microscanner I have, but it worked, was cheap to buy and gently mod and actually sounded really good (it didn't really have a sound at all of its own, which was something of a shock;))

Good luck..

Audio Al
16-03-2013, 17:55
No budget but would be good to keep turnatable and arm under £2000!

You could put together a very nice Technics SL12++ for that budget :)

chelsea
16-03-2013, 17:55
As an investment and a nice player a garrard 301 401 is a good buy.
You could get a nice voyd also.

John
16-03-2013, 17:57
Willing to go a bit more gets you a Salvation Certainly worth a demo

Rare Bird
16-03-2013, 18:00
If i were buying a turntable new these days on great sound, reliability, very high quality engineering & easy set up terms it would deffo be a J.A.Michell TT..

DSJR
16-03-2013, 18:10
I dispute the easy set-up quote Andr'e. The suspension on these decks is all over the place usually, wobbling about :lol: maybe it doesn't matter, but to Linnies like me, a piston thrust is all important (oooh missus) :rofl:

Rare Bird
16-03-2013, 18:14
I found em easy anyway im sure Chris Wazoo can vouch for that too.. :)

DSJR
16-03-2013, 18:18
I'll have to let hifi dave give me some lessons then - whoopie, another product to shill for - I'm RICH I telll ya!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

chelsea
16-03-2013, 18:20
A well looked after sp 10 as well would be worth hunting down.

Rare Bird
16-03-2013, 18:21
I'll have to let hifi dave give me some lessons then - whoopie, another product to shill for - I'm RICH I telll ya!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

:lol:

The Grand Wazoo
16-03-2013, 18:27
I found em easy anyway im sure Chris Wazoo can vouch for that too.. :)

Bloomin' right mate - easiest suspended TT I ever set up.
It kind of helps that it's all above decks and right there at hand. You need the skills of a gynecologist to set up a Linn or a Thorens for example. Remember Dave, us civilians don't have jigs and things.

Wakefield Turntables
16-03-2013, 18:28
£2K will get you a nice 1210 setup but not the best. Decent PSU's can cost >£1K. :eek: My advice, get a decent fettled garrard 301, replinth in birch plywood (or slate if you can afford) and seek out a decent SME 3009 or tripped out Rega 250 or something similar. You should get some change out of £2K to buy some vinyl or a semi decent cartridge.

Audioman
16-03-2013, 20:15
Best deck and arm combos - Mitchell or Notts Analogue if you want something good and reliable 'of the shelf'. Would need to spend a lot more to greatly improve on the Orbe or Hyperspace. Garrards or Thorens TD124 are great if you can source a good one at reasonable cost and prepared to spend the time plinthing and servicing them.

Jimbo
16-03-2013, 20:37
Funny enough Glenn Croft suggested I look at a Garrard 301 or 401 but I would be concerned about finding one in good nick as there are indeed many out there. I did see the Grail reconditioned 301/401 but they are very pricey. Is it possible to get these old Garrard TT refurbished at a reasonable price?

Which tonearms are best suited to the Garrard/Decca?

Riislingen
16-03-2013, 20:50
+1 on the Garrard proposal!

I really like the synergies of going all UK cottage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Audioman
16-03-2013, 20:55
Funny enough Glenn Croft suggested I look at a Garrard 301 or 401 but I would be concerned about finding one in good nick as there are indeed many out there. I did see the Grail reconditioned 301/401 but they are very pricey. Is it possible to get these old Garrard TT refurbished at a reasonable price?

Which tonearms are best suited to the Garrard/Decca?

You could ask Northwest Analogue (on this forum) what they charge. Audio Grail and Loricraft do this but both I am sure are rather expensive. If you want good cosmetics with the difficult to source parts especially in acceptable order you will have either a lengthy search or have to pay a high price. The most cost effective idler and probably easiest to spruce up is the GL75. If you can stretch the budget Inspire Audio do their own GL75 based TT which looks fantastic and sounds as good as most Garrards.

DSJR
16-03-2013, 21:47
I also very much approve of a good Garrard in a decent plinth with suitable arm for a Decca :)

Jimbo
17-03-2013, 10:11
Apart from Loricraft and A Grail where would be the best places to start looking for a Garrard 301? My concerns would be with getting a good one which had been serviced and not something that had been polished up with sagging springs and disintegrating rubber parts especially the idler wheel. Does anyone know what to avoid with these old decks apart from what I have already mentioned?

John
17-03-2013, 10:44
I think the best bet is narrow it down to about 5 and then have a listen to them see what you like Its the only way Everybody has their own favourites but its best to hear a few and decide for yourself I would ask to hear a members 401 and also hear a few other TT Getting it right is important and best to rake your time and get it right

Thermionic Idler
17-03-2013, 10:53
Apart from Loricraft and A Grail where would be the best places to start looking for a Garrard 301? My concerns would be with getting a good one which had been serviced and not something that had been polished up with sagging springs and disintegrating rubber parts especially the idler wheel. Does anyone know what to avoid with these old decks apart from what I have already mentioned?

For mine I've dealt with Shaun Daniels of Peak Hi-Fi and his associate Ray Clark, who builds and services the decks. The website is here: http://www.peakhifi.co.uk/

Note there's a serviced Garrard 401 on sale there for £750. Their plinths start at £599 for the veneered MDF one, which would leave you £650 for an arm. Some say MDF isn't great, but what I would say is go and listen for yourself and then decide... Shaun has demo facilities and I've been up there a couple of times. They're near Barnsley I think.

Edit: in fact that would leave you enough budget for the 12" version of the Jelco - the SA-750L - £550 from McRU. £100 under budget :) I believe the plinth mentioned above is the same size as their reference plinths so plenty large enough.

DSJR
17-03-2013, 11:07
Expensive I know, but LORICRAFT do have real expertise in these old Garrards since they have the rights and possibly plans? of parts needed. Loads of "experts" out there, so please be cautious.

Having compared the Spacedeck in original form (the AceSpace has improvements to bearing and platter at least) to a plinthed and bearing'd Bastin 301, I can say the NAS was quieter and "cleaner." Obviously, the NAS doesn't have the nostalgic element that the 301 has in mega-bucketloads, but I feel I have to politely mention this, from personal experience anyway....

Dingdong
17-03-2013, 11:18
Acoustic Solid Classic Wood, with the arm and cart of your choice.

Really rather nice.

Jimbo
17-03-2013, 11:43
Expensive I know, but LORICRAFT do have real expertise in these old Garrards since they have the rights and possibly plans? of parts needed. Loads of "experts" out there, so please be cautious.

Having compared the Spacedeck in original form (the AceSpace has improvements to bearing and platter at least) to a plinthed and bearing'd Bastin 301, I can say the NAS was quieter and "cleaner." Obviously, the NAS doesn't have the nostalgic element that the 301 has in mega-bucketloads, but I feel I have to politely mention this, from personal experience anyway....

Hi Dave, considering your wise words of caution regarding the 301 and possible Agro/expense in procuring a really good example I am thinking it may be wiser to consider the NAS. If I were to look at using other cartridges rather than the Decca what else would you recommend. I presume the Ace space deck and arm would be suitable for use with most cartridges if they can tame the Decca?

The Grand Wazoo
17-03-2013, 12:17
We all have our preferences, which of course we will all recommend enthusiastically, but I think most of us probably acquired a taste for our own favourite through a process of elimination. It's for this reason that John's advice above is the best you've received yet. You may like a Space Deck (for example) and buy it, which is great but you might have preferred something else had you heard and compared the two.
You can't beat having informed choices. Do your best to hear a range of turntables with different design principles and have them demonstrated by a range of people, so you don't get influenced by one person's prejudices.

walpurgis
17-03-2013, 12:35
As I've said before, anybody who likes the speed and drama of Deccas should have a listen to the XYX R100 H2. It is incredibly detailed and transparent, with little colouration. It is different, but has much of what the Deccas offer. The tracking is better than any Decca I've used too.

Thermionic Idler
17-03-2013, 12:49
We all have our preferences, which of course we will all recommend enthusiastically, but I think most of us probably acquired a taste for our own favourite through a process of elimination. It's for this reason that John's advice above is the best you've received yet. You may like a Space Deck (for example) and buy it, which is great but you might have preferred something else had you heard and compared the two.
You can't beat having informed choices. Do your best to hear a range of turntables with different design principles and have them demonstrated by a range of people, so you don't get influenced by one person's prejudices.

I would second this, if you're able to audition the various options then do it... I arrived at the Garrard having owned NAS decks before, for me there was something special that the Garrard did but not everyone has the same preferences.

I really like the NAS decks I must say... I auditioned a Spacedeck against a Michell Gyrodeck years ago, and felt the NAS had more "authority" and scale. Both options are beautifully engineered. The NAS main bearings in particular are VERY well made indeed.

One thing the NAS turntables have in their favour is sheer simplicity. No DC motor and complicated electronics governing it... it's one of the few options that still use an AC synchronous motor. No switches either, you stop and start it by pushing on the platter. There's more complexity in your average kettle.

Wakefield Turntables
17-03-2013, 14:34
James,

If you buy a knackered 301 and are pretty good at fixing things I would suggest having a go at resotring it yourself. I did one here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14850&highlight=garrard+301+restoration+project I did 90% of the work and then sent it of to NWA for finishing. Total spend was about £650 for a very nice 301 which will now probably out last me. :eyebrows:

Andy

The Black Adder
17-03-2013, 17:38
Buy a nice TD124 and be done with it..! :eyebrows:

Marco
17-03-2013, 17:57
I was just about to say how no-one had mentioned a TD124! :D

James, if you fancy a somewhat leftfield choice, new, then I have a lot of time for the Scheu Analog range of T/Ts. Their 'Diamond' is rather sexy in pink (bollocks to it being just for ladies!):

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8471/diamondqc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/diamondqc.jpg/)

Don't worry, it also comes in other colours: http://www.scheu-analog.de/en/laufwerke/diamond/ I think that the blue 'marble' effect would be gorgeous!

There's also the Dr Feickhert Woodpecker:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/682/hfc335drfeickertwoodpec.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/hfc335drfeickertwoodpec.jpg/)

Info: http://www.feickert.de/engl/lw_woodpecker.html

If I were buying a new belt-drive T/T, it'd defo be German, as I like the styling, solid engineering and their 'clean', essentially neutral sound. They don't sound like typical belt-drive T/Ts :)

Marco.

Jimbo
17-03-2013, 18:22
I was just about to say how no-one had mentioned a TD124! :D

James, if you fancy a somewhat leftfield choice, new, then I have a lot of time for the Scheu Analog range of T/Ts. Their 'Diamond' is rather sexy in pink (bollocks to it being just for ladies!):

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8471/diamondqc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/diamondqc.jpg/)

Don't worry, it also comes in other colours: http://www.scheu-analog.de/en/laufwerke/diamond/ I think that the blue 'marble' effect would be gorgeous!

There's also the Dr Feickhert Woodpecker:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/682/hfc335drfeickertwoodpec.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/hfc335drfeickertwoodpec.jpg/)

Info: http://www.feickert.de/engl/lw_woodpecker.html

If I were buying a new belt-drive T/T, it'd defo be German, as I like the styling, solid engineering and their 'clean', essentially neutral sound. They don't sound like typical belt-drive T/Ts :)

Marco.

I had thought of looking at some of the German products as they do indeed look well engineered. Will try and get a listen to a least one or two.

Is the Thorens TD124 the only Thorens worth looking at?

Dingdong
17-03-2013, 18:28
German decks do seem to be very well engineered, but you don't seem to here much about them over here.

Here's a link to the one I mentioned earlier.

http://www.bd-audio.co.uk/acoustic-solid-classic-wood.html

Marco
17-03-2013, 18:36
Is the Thorens TD124 the only Thorens worth looking at?

Nope, their TD309 is rather funky (comes in black, too):

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8084/thorenstd309.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/thorenstd309.jpg/)

I also like the TD350, which is a more traditional suspended chassis design... Have a look at the current range of Thorens T/Ts: http://www.thorens.com/turntables/drives/td-350.html

In terms of vintage T/Ts, the TD125 is also a great deck :)

Marco.

Marco
17-03-2013, 18:37
German decks do seem to be very well engineered, but you don't seem to here much about them over here.

Indeed, they're very well-engineered, much like their cars... Yes, you don't hear about them much in the UK, but as always, I like to think outside of the box and shun the 'usual suspects'! Other folk should look beyond the ends of their noses for a change ;)

Yup, love the Acoustic Solid, too...

Marco.

Rare Bird
17-03-2013, 18:39
Transrotor

Dingdong
17-03-2013, 19:05
Indeed, they're very well-engineered, much like their cars... Yes, you don't hear about them much in the UK, but as always, I like to think outside of the box and shun the 'usual suspects'! Folk should look beyond the ends of their noses for a change ;)

Yup, love the Acoustic Solid, too...

Marco.

I've heard a couple of them and they do seem very good for the money. There was one of the more expensive ones a Scalford.

The Black Adder
18-03-2013, 16:25
The TD124 is the best of the vintage Thorens. If you look for one just make sure it's not got a Papst motor, easy to recognise as the Papst is a round motor when the one you want is the rectangular version.

The TD125 is a very nice deck for sure. Not heard the 305 but it certainly looks cool enough.

dgolh
26-03-2013, 10:22
Well, it seems that old and more recent turntables are mixed in this thread.

So, I'd suggest an Amazon One. I have mine for a month or so and its superior by far to my previous tables (Rega, Heybrook, Systemdek, Kuzma, Vpi and Townshend).

Sturdy but not in the Transrotor, Acoustid Solid way, more elegant in my opinion.

topoxforddoc
30-03-2013, 09:17
Stick with the Decca. Be careful with a 301 as the early ones could cause hum with Deccas (lack of mu screening in some of the switches, if my memory serves me correctly).
If your budget is £2000 and you already have a Decca, then budget £250 for a Decca rebuild with John Wright (get a paratrace tip).
Deccas work best in damped unipivots or parallel trackers. With your budget, it will have to be a unipivot, unless you can stretch to a bigger budget for a Terminator Pro arm. Hadcocks are generally viewed as being the best match at your budget. They are regarded as being a bit tricky to set up. In truth, if you have set up arms in the past, you just need some patience. A second hand Hadcock will be around £400-500.
So that leaves you with £1150-1250 for a TT.
What sort of TT do you want? Fit and forget (unlikely of you have a Hadcock and Decca) or one you can tweak. You'll be able to get a sorted 401 and plinth in your budget. 124s now command more money, but you may strike lucky. Another vintage idler option might be a Goldring GL75 or 88.
If you prefer a DD TT, then a Technics SP10 is the obvious option and well within budget. Massy TTs would include the NA, Acoustic Solid, Scheu, Teres etc. Don't discount a Michell Gyro/Orbe either. A lot depends on the WAF too.
Not sure if that helps, as it raises more questions than answers.

Charlie

DSJR
30-03-2013, 17:38
Excellent advice I reckon :)

Whatever the deck decided on, PLEASE look at the NAS arm in addition to the (you've been H)adcock, as they aren't quite as fiddy, can be bought in a form to work on non-NAS decks I understand and the arrow-shaft tube is light but rigid and good sonic use with a working Decca is easily assured.

Jimbo
30-03-2013, 18:10
Think I will be most likely going for NAS Ace spacedeck and probably the NAS arm as I have been assured this will tame the Decca cartridge! I don't think I will go for an older garrard but may buy a cheaper Lenco or Thorens as a project TT in the future.

DSJR
30-03-2013, 20:26
Once a sorted Decca gets a pod and a really advanced tip (I think the Microscanner is similar or the same as the EsCo Paratrace), practically all the roughness goes, along with the "nasal sounding twang" as the stylus enters the groove. Mine has far more air and spacial info than many Deccas are credited for and the whole experience becomes an excellent one, so much so that most other cartridges sound cloudy and "dead" in comparison. They're unreliable though and damage themselves with little provocation for whatever reason. Easily fixed at present though, as mine was.

For the rest of us, the nearest I've heard to a Decca in the best way was the now expensive ZYX R100, which seemed to have some life to it and the wild but supremely lovable Rega Apheta, which needs a thoughtfully matched phono stage if it isn't to take off and all but fly round the room.

I haven't yet tried the current "universal" Ortofons, but the range is so wide it's almost like the current Thorens turntable range - a model for all tastes and seasons. They do "organic analogue," "clear-n-clean" and many variants in between. If the new sub £300 model (Vivo Blue) is similar to or better than? the MC10mk2, it should make a great and predictable MC at a great price I think, and should work in all sorts of arms of different shapes and sizes too :)

Jimbo
30-03-2013, 20:43
Once a sorted Decca gets a pod and a really advanced tip (I think the Microscanner is similar or the same as the EsCo Paratrace), practically all the roughness goes, along with the "nasal sounding twang" as the stylus enters the groove. Mine has far more air and spacial info than many Deccas are credited for and the whole experience becomes an excellent one, so much so that most other cartridges sound cloudy and "dead" in comparison. They're unreliable though and damage themselves with little provocation for whatever reason. Easily fixed at present though, as mine was.

For the rest of us, the nearest I've heard to a Decca in the best way was the now expensive ZYX R100, which seemed to have some life to it and the wild but supremely lovable Rega Apheta, which needs a thoughtfully matched phono stage if it isn't to take off and all but fly round the room.

I haven't yet tried the current "universal" Ortofons, but the range is so wide it's almost like the current Thorens turntable range - a model for all tastes and seasons. They do "organic analogue," "clear-n-clean" and many variants in between. If the new sub £300 model (Vivo Blue) is similar to or better than? the MC10mk2, it should make a great and predictable MC at a great price I think, and should work in all sorts of arms of different shapes and sizes too :)

I used a Decca blue years ago with Garrard 301 TT, it was an unforgettable sound when it was set up well. Can be a bit heaven and Hell and mine was a bit ropey but when it did things right it made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. I remember listening to a Ry Cooder track on Bop till you drop over and over again as the Decca made his guitar sound like it was there right in the room with you.

walpurgis
30-03-2013, 21:54

I've made the Decca/Zyx comparison a number of times and mentioned it on AOS too. I used to use Deccas a lot, but since getting my ZYXs I've sold my last one. The Zyx R100 gives all the immediacy, transparency and detail of the Deccas. The R100 H2 even more so, the sound almost 'leaps' out of the speakers.

Both Deccas and ZYXs work very well in the original Mission 774 arm with a bit of fluid damping.

southall-1998
30-03-2013, 21:54
Townshend Rock Turntables are good in my opinion. Also good value too!

Patrick Dixon
30-03-2013, 22:02
I have a 301 with a Trans-Fi Terminator and several Deccas. The one I'm using at the moment is an SC4E that was re-built by John Wright prior to me buying it. It's just the most real, lifelike sound I've ever heard from a cartridge and it's been totally reliable. I paid less than £300 for it IIRC.

I also have a Decca Blue rebuilt by John Wright to Gold standard and rehoused in a wooden body. It's good, but much more heaven and hell than the SC4E. I've come to the conclusion that Deccas just need lots of mass - and although the rebuilt 'Blue' is heavier with the wooden body, it's still a couple of grams lighter than the SC4E and just not as good.

I also have a C4E and a H4E which I must sent to John Wright sometime ...

To the OP - I'd look at the Trans-Fi Salvation if I were you - unless you are nostalgic for a 301 like me.

vouk
31-03-2013, 06:02
Hi James,

Plenty of really good options already on the table but, what the heck, here's my two cents:
Went through the same process and with roughly the same budget this time last year when I was looking to replace my Amazon 2 table; had an extensive listen to most of the usual suspects in that price category (NAS, Michell and Acoustic Signature included) but, to my ears, the ones below certainly stood out:
Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S: brilliant in its simplicity and such a sheer music maker.
VPI Scoutmaster/JMW 9: really impressed with this one
Well tempered Simplex or Classic: looks a little on the flimsy and prosaic side, a tad fussy to set up properly but definitely worth it.
I would obviously throw a vote behind my eventual choice, the Vyger Timor, in terms of its musicality and super smooth presentation; looks aside, its engineering, build quality and finish is on a par with any German offering but finding one in the UK would be virtually impossible...
Anyway, happy listening! Should be a fun ride.

Jimbo
31-03-2013, 14:30
I have a 301 with a Trans-Fi Terminator and several Deccas. The one I'm using at the moment is an SC4E that was re-built by John Wright prior to me buying it. It's just the most real, lifelike sound I've ever heard from a cartridge and it's been totally reliable. I paid less than £300 for it IIRC.

I also have a Decca Blue rebuilt by John Wright to Gold standard and rehoused in a wooden body. It's good, but much more heaven and hell than the SC4E. I've come to the conclusion that Deccas just need lots of mass - and although the rebuilt 'Blue' is heavier with the wooden body, it's still a couple of grams lighter than the SC4E and just not as good.

I also have a C4E and a H4E which I must sent to John Wright sometime ...

To the OP - I'd look at the Trans-Fi Salvation if I were you - unless you are nostalgic for a 301 like me.

I used to put a lump of bluetack on top of my Decca blue cartridge to try and damp the vibrations of the biscuit tin cartridge body!:lol:

oceanobsession
05-04-2013, 20:58
Why not try a pioneer pl71, i know it works with a spu and im sure it also
works with the decca cartridges, i think thats what gromit is using at the
moment, anyway £300 type money, ive still got mine but im now using a
rokan xerxes, not a great deal in it with the same cartridge fitted.

walpurgis
05-04-2013, 21:22
So many different suggestions.

I won't make one. But will point out that I've never found suspended subchassis TTs like Thorens or Linn difficult to set up. I think there's a bit of mystique spread about regarding these that is basically nonsense, a bit of common sense and a practical approach is all you need.

Qwin
06-04-2013, 08:35
+1 on Suspended set up. Fairly straight forward. If You can set up a cartridge/arm you can set up the suspension with ease.

hifi_dave
06-04-2013, 09:25
Depends on your skill-set. I've seen some real horrors over the years, some set ups being done by dealers..:stalks:

I don't agree, however, with the foo and fairy dust forum myths that there are only a handful of 'experts' able to set up bouncy turntables. You just need some sense and patience.

Wakefield Turntables
06-04-2013, 09:31
The alphason solo deck, bless its little cotton socks was the easiet suspension deck I ever set up, literally two minutes and it sang like a nightingale unlike my lp12 I used to own which was a compete bast*rd. I'm afraid is DD all the way for my now, owe an of course idler! :cool:

walpurgis
06-04-2013, 11:39
The alphason solo deck, bless its little cotton socks was the easiet suspension deck I ever set up, literally two minutes and it sang like a nightingale unlike my lp12 I used to own which was a compete bast*rd. I'm afraid is DD all the way for my now, owe an of course idler! :cool:

Well, at the moment I've got DD (two Toshiba SR-370s), belt (Pioneer PL-61 & Connoisseur BD1) and idler (Dual 1219), but no subchassis TTs. I'm toying with getting another TD160 though, they can be made to sound very good.

tim_bissell
11-04-2013, 08:00

Pink Triangles are similarly easy - the crucial point is that suspension adjustment accessible when the turntable is fully set up and in place, so you can adjust and see the effects immediately.

Also (compared to the LP12) there is no spring magic to worry about; the springs cannot rotate, so the only variables are the routing of the tonearm cable (sorted once by the dealer, in theory!) and the levelling of the platter.

But to get back to the original point, the Funk Firm Little Super Deck would be an excellent start at £1200; easy to set up (if my PT and Funk experiences are anything to go by) with some easy upgrades if you wish - mat, platter, PSU etc.

-- Tim

hifi_dave
11-04-2013, 16:19
http://http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t406/hifi_dave/045_zps5236b450.jpg

Funk Little Super Deck - £1100

Wonderful.

Jimbo
11-04-2013, 17:54
http://http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t406/hifi_dave/045_zps5236b450.jpg

Funk Little Super Deck - £1100

Wonderful.

What does it sound like Dave, can you compare the sound to anything contemporary. At the moment I am still thinking of the Ace Spacedeck :eyebrows:

hifi_dave
11-04-2013, 18:16
Fast, dynamic, clean and tight but you really need to hear it. No use me trying to describe the sound.

Oldpinkman
27-04-2013, 10:46
I have a Pink Triangle. My dad used to have a GL75. Heaven only knows in my day I struggled setting up an LP12. I have heard an LSD at Funk, with a Decca London sounding awesome, seriously good, through a technics amp into technics speakers on 2nd hand chairs as speaker stands. I would strongly recommend you hear one through a decent system as a reference if you like neutral and you like bass. The achromat upgrade (under £100 I believe) is a must. The felt mat original is just to allow 1-2-1's with the rega . Suspended is better, but expensive and fiddly (although a PT is a complete doddle to set up). AK stuck the FX5 arm on my PT for me, and I have it running through PIP, modified quad 405-2 and ventricals, and it is seriously better than the LSD 2nd hand chair arrangement. But for the money the LSD is amazing. The FX5 is amazing. I just cannot believe how good it sounds. I am using a Goldring 1022. When I heard AK's LSD I was about to rush out and buy a Decca. It is a lovely cartridge. But I now know the source of the great sound was the FX5. That said - proven working with the decca and sounding great. Within your £2000 budget you could further improve it with an isolation stand. A Must hear.

paskinn
29-04-2013, 13:45
Arthur's stuff is always good sounding; I used it for years. But you really do have to keep an eye on build quality and reliability. The joke always used to be that the perfect deck would be designed by Arthur and built by SME.

Jimbo
29-04-2013, 14:37
Well I have finally taken the plunge and bought a VPI Scout 1.1 with an ortophon 2M Black cartridge. This paired up with my Croft 25R pre and Series 7 into my Spendor SP2 makes for a sublime combination. I happened on the Scout after listening to the well received VPI Traveller. The build quality and finish of the Scout is superb but it was the VPI Scouts overall sound capabilities that I found utterly compelling. I listened to it in another much more expensive system previous to my own where it produced everything I was looking for in a Turntable. Then listening to it in my own system it confirmed to be how good a product it was. Originally I was looking for something to pair up with a decca cartridge to use with the Croft but the 2M Black with the scout TT ,in my system has exceeded any pre conceived expectations I have had and ticked all the boxes on my Turntable wish list. Although I have used Decca cartridges in the past due to their nature I could not live with one in my system every day unlike the 2M Black. I must also say the Croft 25R is absolutely engineered around its phono stage and comes alive when paired with a good TT/cartridge,it is a fabulous Pre amp. It is truly rewarding when you can put together a system that gels together to give you the sound that you are looking for and this combination has done it for me.
I just need to buy more vinyl now and sit back and enjoy!

vouk
01-05-2013, 03:55
Hi James,

Great to hear that you went for the VPI and that it's working out so well for you; I was really impressed with the sound of the Scoutmaster and the build quality is indeed sublime.
Post some pictures of your new baby when you get the chance!:cool:

Jagged24
01-05-2013, 06:48
** Oops - too late for the OP but perhaps useful for someone else **

I have used a suspended deck (pre-Cirkus LP12 * AO PU7 arm) side-by-side with a non-suspended one (Scheu Diamond * AO PU7) through the same phono/amps for a while, and can speak from experience to some of the comments made on this thread.

I am even now pleasantly surprised how good each deck sounds when well set up. There are differences, unquestionably, in the overall characteristics of the sound, with the (pre-Cirkus) LP12 lusher in the mid-range and lacking the rigid speed stability and frequency extension of the Scheu. But IMO these are 'different not better', so I think the OP should consider both types.

I have periodically fettled the Linn on my own for several years ever since the local expert shop closed down, using the second deck as an A-B reference to get things right. It did take a bit of learning (and initially some telephonic help from experts), but I have not found this overly difficult or time-consuming. Once set, I find the LP12 fairly stable, requiring attention only say annually provided it is not moved. So I don't think the OP should be put off considering a suspended deck on the grounds of difficult set up.

Finally ....

I had thought of looking at some of the German products as they do indeed look well engineered. Will try and get a listen to a least one or two.

The Scheu TTs IMO are great value for money and excellent sounding decks. I strongly recommend that you try something from their range.

Happy hunting.

Oldpinkman
02-05-2013, 10:26
Arthur won't love me for saying this Paskin, but there is no denying build quality has been an issue and is always one to watch for. The bloody lids at PT defined the company. We spent more time and tears sorting out a component with zero affect on the sound of the deck than anything else, just because the skirting board plinth design required an extra deep lid. Yup - from day 1 inspired designs, but let down by build. He's learned a lot. I know he is working hard on Funk having a better reputation and is committed to fixing problems. He's also properly resourced. The FX5 appears well built, and capable of reliable production, and is really good sounding. For the price, I can't really grumble about the arm rest and lift mechanism, which if the arm were £150 more could be improved. The curse of trying to source low production run components...