PDA

View Full Version : Bloody gardening....

Covenant
02-04-2009, 15:10
Yes its that time of year when your better half says 'look at the state of the garden after the winter' and what do we do?
Clear away the twigs, mow the grass, tidy the flower beds, start thinking about bedding plants.

And we could be listening to music.....

Beechwoods
02-04-2009, 15:30
You've been allowed to get away with it until now? I've been expected to be out there for at least a month! Perhaps it's the milder weather down here ;)

kalozois100
02-04-2009, 15:31
Yes its that time of year when your better half says 'look at the state of the garden after the winter' and what do we do?
Clear away the twigs, mow the grass, tidy the flower beds, start thinking about bedding plants.

And we could be listening to music.....

Whenever i consider an upgrade to my audio system i always allow for the cost of paying my gardener( never used to have one until i saw lord of the rings and bilbo baggins had his own garderner and thought if a hobbit has one then so should I!!). Whatever is left over goes towards upgrades money box each month . Great audio is good but no way near as good as getting out of the gardening from the misses:lol:

Covenant
02-04-2009, 15:38
You've been allowed to get away with it until now? I've been expected to be out there for at least a month! Perhaps it's the milder weather down here ;)

I note you said expected....

Beechwoods
02-04-2009, 15:48
:lol: I've been out a couple of times but mostly just to put my feet up. Mrs B likes to do the gardening. I just do the occasional bit of lifting :smoking:

Spod
02-04-2009, 16:46

And we could be listening to music.....Think yourself lucky, some of us get letters from the local housing association threatening us with words like "restrictive covenant" just because the grass hasn't been cut for a few months and there's other people's litter out there. It was mid-February!!!:steam:

Marco
02-04-2009, 20:39
Well the grassy area of our garden is the size of a bloody park, so I feel your pain, bruvvas :(

Anyone know where one of those wee lawn-mowers you drive around in are going cheap? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
02-04-2009, 21:54
I built a fence for the garden last September. I really enjoyed doing it and while digging the post holes I found evidence of the land once being a beach, sand and sea shells. I have seen a Victorian painting of where we live and the sea is where our house is.

We have a small but long garden and well the works done now...I did it all last year. Erection of Fence, paint Fence (my wife did a fair bit of this), Paint shed.

This spring summer we can sit back and enjoy it...watch the wild life including our garden Frogs.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/Frogs001.jpg

Regards D S D L

Covenant
03-04-2009, 06:59
Well the grassy area of our garden is the size of a bloody park, so I feel your pain, bruvvas :(

Anyone know where one of those wee lawn-mowers you drive around in are going cheap? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Hifi that others can only dream about, living in a parkland setting-are you secretly a member of the aristocracy Marco?

hifi_dave
03-04-2009, 10:57
Gardening, I love it and it's the only real exercise I get except for moving heavy lumps of Hi-Fi around - serves me right for being a Tannoy Prestige and Nottingham Analogue dealer. :doh:

This last Winter drove me up the wall with weeks and weeks where I couldn't get out and tidy up. There's only so much decorating and listening to Hi-Fi you can do IMO and I was desperate for some Sun and fresh air. Feel much better now.:)

As for grass, I guess we have an acre of it and I hate mowing. So we have a man who comes and cuts and strims for around 3 hours for 35 quid. To my mind, that's a bargain especially when you take into account the cost of the petrol and servicing of a sit-on mower. Also it leaves me more time for the jobs I enjoy.

Wildlife ? Bloody Bunnies and Wood Pigeon everywhere. :steam: I might start a thread about extermination and suitable guns.:eyebrows:

Ian Walker
03-04-2009, 12:45
Hifi that others can only dream about, living in a parkland setting-are you secretly a member of the aristocracy Marco?

Yesh Marco is a member of the Cheshire set and soon to be titled......mmmmm lets think of a title for him teeeeheeeee.

Marco
03-04-2009, 13:12
Yesh, Lord of the big Scottish dafties :eyebrows:

My 'Cheshire set' is soft and crumbly and found in my fridge!

Cov, if only. I've got a reasonable sized lawn in the front garden, but sadly just a pauper's old lodge house. It's a hard life up here in North Wales, ya know!

Marco.

Covenant
03-04-2009, 14:02
What is it about the Welsh? They have a lovely country but mistrust and dislike foreigners. If they could get over their hostility they could have a sperb tourism industry.

Marco
03-04-2009, 14:36
Cov,

You're right of course but, and I don't mean any disrespect, it's only the English they don't like, or to be more accurate, the 'Southerners' from around London and the Southern counties: those 'arrogant types' of people if you know what I mean, although I dislike generalising. They've got no problem with Scousers, Manks, Geordies, etc. Unfortunately if you haven't got a pronounced accent like the latter then you're just 'English' and lumped in with the 'Southerners'.

If you're Scottish or Irish, though, the Welsh people love you. It's a Celt thing. I can go anywhere in Wales, even right into the hills into little villages in the middle of nowhere, and with my Scottish accent be accepted in any pub, shop or restaurant and the people are really friendly.

TBH, it shocked me just how much Welsh people dislike 'the English' (as described above) - feelings run much stronger about this than they do in Scotland! Having lived in both countries for many years it only becomes apparent how strongly the Welsh feel about this when you live and work with them on a daily basis.

The funniest thing is when it comes to rugby, football, or indeed any sport - oh how they love to see anyone 'cuff' the English! :lolsign:

I guess that history has a lot to do with it.

Personally I take people as I find them - I don't care where they come from! :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
03-04-2009, 15:20
You're right about that Marco.I've found the same,having worked in various parts of Wales many times over the years.Some of the friendliest people I've ever met,as soon as they know you're not English!

aquapiranha
03-04-2009, 16:58
Gardening hold no interest for me whatsoever, I prefer the great outdoors! which leads me to ....Wales. I had realtives who lived deep in N. Wales and I would often go and stay with them when I was younger. Apart from them starting to speak welsh when an englishman walks into the pub I never had a problem.

I may take up gardening when I am a pensioner, or if I wake up and find I have turned into Alan Titchmarsh.

Or Percy Thrower.

:lolsign:

Covenant
03-04-2009, 17:47
I am a scouser (perhaps not with a strong accent) and have loads of experience of poor hospitality in N.Wales-like being ignored when waiting to be sat down in a restaurant.
I must be a glutton for punishment because I am going to Anglesey in the summer.!
I once said to a client " the only thing wrong with Wales is the Welsh". She froze, stared at me and said "My husband is Welsh". Then she burst out laughing and said she knew what I meant.

Beechwoods
03-04-2009, 18:16
like being ignored when waiting to be sat down in a restaurant.

That happens to me all the time. I put it down to being a scruffy bugger and having kids under 5.

Marco
03-04-2009, 18:31
LOL :eyebrows:

Can't say I've had any of that happen to me in North Wales and I've been living here for nine years... The people here are really friendly - couldn't be more so in fact :)

Beechy I'd pegged you as a rather dapper chap, actually :smoking:

Kids are fine in restaurants as long as the establishment in question is suitably 'geared-up' for it and the parents look after them properly and there is discipline. What I hate is when some parents let their kids run around all over the joint doing pretty much what they want, screaming and shouting, as if this is somehow unavoidable.

Marco.

Beechwoods
03-04-2009, 19:30
I do like to wear tweed occasionally it has to be said.

Marco
03-04-2009, 19:41
Strangely, I find that image rather mind-boggling :eek:

Marco.