PDA

View Full Version : 1210 - A deck odyssey

muffinman
02-04-2009, 13:23
Stick a fork in me - i'm done

I'm going to try and avoid the well trodden paths of the 12 upgrade threads in an attempt get to the point succinctly.

I chopped in my gorbe/evo/304 early last year after reading what HiFi world and Marco had to say about the 12 (damn you :))
It was all going to be so easy. one for one.
Putting it bluntly i feel there is no better outofthebox TT than a fresh 12.
The only original upgrade i had planned for was a rewire of the stock arm
several trawls later and i discovered that in order of importance i would require:
1/. psu
2/. rewire
3/. headshell
4/. counterweight
5/. mat
6/. feet
Bang! goes the budget

I could skip right to the end here and say outright that had i bought the Terminator first i may have found myself in a position where i didn't feel the need for any of those above mentioned steps. we'll come back to the psu (don't fret)

I've found that there are things that make small but noticeable differences and those which fundamentally change the characteristics and therefore quality of the setup. It's no real suprise that they are matched by price.

I'm trying hard to elucidate the relevance of each step of the process but keep getting dragged back to the 2 or 3 main events in the upgrade chronicle

If you want or expect this deck to be an audiophile piece of equipment, the psu and tonearm are paramount.

So, the KAB ps1200 takes the deck off the world of 1s&2s shelf and moves it closer to a HiFi store item.
What it does straight away is lets you know that one or more parts of the deck are no longer upto the task.
There are reams of text re: the psu so i won't add to it here

Tonearms then. I got a Cardas wired arm from KAB and then had J7 knock it all together (a mighty fine job he did too). fitted a Sumiko headshell and a Thruno 3piece c/w. At this point the arm really looked and sounded the tits.
I was however running an Ortofon Samba, not a bad little cart, but once again clearly a weak (read cheap) link in what is building toward a more expensive system.

It was around this time that i lost a little heart in the project, a common thread atm. Basically although the deck was ticking all the boxes, i wasn't getting the FOOK ME!! factor that i expect from my kit.

Was it time to start chasing my tail with the smaller, yet no doubt worthy upgrades such as mats or feet, Or was a more expensive cart the answer?
Enter Vic and the Trans Fi Terminator.
I had a word with Vic re: fitting a Term to a 12 specifically how the armboard situation would be addressed. I sent the armboard from my teccy and he cut a slotted armboard from an mdf type product. He now has a template so i'm sure for a premium he'd do one for you in alloy.
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/womblethedog/000_0408-1.jpg
As ever Vic does a satisfaction guarantee so i thought i'd give it a shot.
Set up is far simpler than it looks, it really is right or wrong (give or take).
Initial vta is established using spacers
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/womblethedog/termy36.jpg
Now i don't wish to start a fight here but to my mind all gimbal tonearms are variations on theme. Of course there are great ones out there but i have never owned one which Blew me away. I've never paid more than £500 for one so maybe that's my problem.
Adding an air bearing arm to the direct drive is amazing. Bass appears from nowhere and the tracking is second to none. It would appear that the wow factor i had lost with the sale of the EVOwas not going to be replaced unless i got another air bearing arm.
There is no issue with pump noise. enough hose is supplied for you to place the pump in another room. Alternatively you can drill a hole in the wall like i have done and remotely turn it on.
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/womblethedog/termy32.jpg
and to fine tune the air flow you can use one of these natty things from the garden centre
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/womblethedog/000_0419.jpg
i believe the term is heath robinson:)

At this time Marco and others pointed me towards Mark Grant cables for the outputs. £40 or so for 2pr - worth every penny.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/womblethedog/termy35.jpg

As with the psu the Terminator once again shows up weaknesses.
This time it was the Ortofon cart. the best way to describe the problem is that it didn't have the level of class required.
Buying a cart is a nightmare and i made the wrong choice straight away based on price. I managed to secure a DL304 for £260 when i could have had the 103SA or OC-9 for around £360.
Again, the Denon is a great cartridge. It's excellent with mids and highs and if my musical taste was acoustic or classical i'd probably have kept it. It lacked the bass attack of the more rough and ready Samba so after 5 hrs use i knew i had a £260 quid bit of s/h metal i no longer wanted :doh:
I then spotted the OC-9 on sale at lpgear in the states which i could have for £280 inc customs and delivery. I sucked it up, told my missus to look the other way and bought it.
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/womblethedog/termy33.jpg
And this is where we wind it up. It's rare that these things happen but - I think my tt setup is now PERFECT
Really, i can't find fault with it. Everything is right. It makes me smile, tap my feet, the bass resonates through my listening chair and the rest is crystal clear.
It's a strange one really. Is the 1210 a bargain? out of the box-yes.
To get it singing you're looking down the sharp end of an extra 1K. It's probably worth knowing that before you start :doh:

The odyssey is over and now the real fun can begin :gig:

ps - i'll probably faff around with different feet and mats in the future - it's an illness

Peter Stockwell
02-04-2009, 13:46
£1000 get's you what elsewhere ?

muffinman
02-04-2009, 13:48
£1000 get's you what elsewhere ?

Couldn't agree more Peter. It's truly a great set up. yup, better than a hr'd gorbe. And i enjoyed the process:)

Peter Stockwell
02-04-2009, 14:09
There's another thread around here about the Orbe. I read over on the naim forum about one forum member getting a Raven motor for an Orbe, his remark being that pitch was more stable.

The mitchels have always looked great, whereas an SL1210 mearly looks adequate.

I believe what you say about the terminator, and I'll make sure I never hear one ;) that way I won't be dissapointed with my IV.

Spectral Morn
02-04-2009, 21:27
Well done Muffin Man

Nice write up and great photos. Thank you for your item. The Terminator really looks the part. You are right having a linear arm air bearing or other is an amazing thing, does make you realize how much of a compromise most 9 inch arms are. I had an Eminent Technology ET2 and I regret selling it but at the time I had no choice.

http://www.eminent-tech.com/graphics/ET-2%20tonearm%20B.jpg

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1215136128.jpg

http://www.eminent-tech.com/sota.jpg

http://www.eminent-tech.com/graphics/tonearmparts.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL22/541589/6424541/90734112.jpg

Regards D S D L

Tony G
03-04-2009, 08:17
A most interesting read, thank you Mr Muffin Man.
Certainly sounds like the business, do love the wild pink vinyl :)

A couple of questions,
the final setup is with the arm base sitting on a pile of washers/spacers ?
What is the purpose of the second (rear) slot?
Presumably the exposed length of cartridge lead gives no problem with pickup of RFI ?
How noisy is the air pump (for those like me who do not have the luxury of another room to keep it in)?
cheers
TG

Marco
03-04-2009, 08:58
Brilliant, Gareth - superb work matey, and just the kind of 'professional' review we love to see here on AOS! :)

Is that a bespoke headshell on the Terminator? It appears to be more 'chunky' than the one I've seen on other examples.

Marco.

Magna Audio
03-04-2009, 09:50
Very interesting.
My SL-1210 with PSU will arrive shortly (I'll update my ongoing thread with progress). As a stop gap I an putting a full OL RB250 with either Sumiko BPS EVOIII ot AT-33 PTG on it.

Then it is muck about with feet & mats and sub mounts the deck stands on.

That will be all of an afternoons work:) After which I'll be on to what new arm - if the SL-1210 / RB250 doesn't blow me away (I am informed that it won't).

The Terminator is interesting. Certainly looks advanced enough and the physics and geometry would seem to stack up.

I've had a quick surf and found some info on it. Found the pricing and the 30day trial which is very fair.

What is it like to use and live with esp after a few beers :cool: (hick).

Does it make any noise? - Not a huge issue as the stylus will as will my Tannoy's anyway but 5m of hose got me wondering. Do you have the pump in a pump room?

muffinman
03-04-2009, 12:08
A couple of questions,

Hi Tony,
I'll get to your questions in a sec but firstly i would like to make it clear to everyone that this is the first time a Terminator has been fitted to a 1200 and as such it was all done on a 'suck it and see' basis.
All the measurements etc where sent by me to Vic and all the items you see are the result of Him working to my plans. I think he did a great job considering he had no deck to work with.
The actual arm i have on my deck is one of the first prototypes Vic made and as such i got it at a reduced price. The current models are nice and shiny so please dont be distracted by anything which may seem amiss - it's thoroughly acceptable to me. A new model would be pristine

the final setup is with the arm base sitting on a pile of washers/spacers ?

1/. there are nicer chunky plastic spacers provided, which do indeed look the part. when i changed the cart though, the vta was miles out, so i fine tuned using the washers. trouble is, when i got the OC-9 on it sounded so good i didn't want to mess with the set up based on looks :)

What is the purpose of the second (rear) slot?

2/. this goes back to the 'suck it and see'. this enables a longer wand length by moving the entire assy back a few cm. we were in agreement that shorter was better. the choice remains available but i doubt it needs to stay for future versions

Presumably the exposed length of cartridge lead gives no problem with pickup of RFI ?

3/.If it does - i ain't noticed

How noisy is the air pump (for those like me who do not have the luxury of another room to keep it in)?

4/.the pump is noisy. Vic has a neat hideaway idea that is illustrated on his web page. i think he tucks it away in a foam filled box. It must do the job or the whole excersise would seem pretty pointless

muffinman
03-04-2009, 12:20
Is that a bespoke headshell on the Terminator? It appears to be more 'chunky' than the one I've seen on other examples.

Ta Fella
Nope, it's the new improved Varimass headshell which has 3 brass screws on the underside that can be removed to change effective mass. Clever chap.
there are pics on the site.
it also features threaded and unthreaded holes. My one is currently using the unthreaded as my threaded were 1mm out. No worries though as Vic is going to send me a new one out soon.

muffinman
03-04-2009, 12:28
Very interesting.
My SL-1210 with PSU will arrive shortly (I'll update my ongoing thread with progress). As a stop gap I an putting a full OL RB250 with either Sumiko BPS EVOIII ot AT-33 PTG on it.

Ta
It's horses for courses of course but i replaced an OLsilver250 with the EVO arm (the Terminators' predecessor). It embarrased it imo

What is it like to use and live with esp after a few beers :cool: (hick).

The only thing you MUST ENSURE after a few pints, is that the pump is on. If it's not you will watch in horror as your stylus starts making its' way round the record as your cart stays static. I imagine it would then snap and fly across the room :doh:

Do you have the pump in a pump room?

My pump is in the spare bedroom which backs onto the sunlounge/listening room.

ps. Thanks to everyone for the kind words

John
03-04-2009, 16:49
Great write up Garth you took a real leap of faith and glad it worked out for you. Everyone knows my thoughts on the Terminator just think you have to pay crazy money to buy better. I have yet to hear a better arm regardless of price. Everyone gets put of by pump noise but with the new polish finish it is very hard to hear even with the pump in the same room as the arm
Vic is totally dedicated to getting things right and glad he solved your mounting issues.
If you ever get the chance you should hear his TT he made himself I have yet to hear anything better I would love to hear your 1210 sometime as it maybe the way I go in the future

jonners
03-04-2009, 23:07
The only thing you MUST ENSURE after a few pints, is that the pump is on. If it's not you will watch in horror as your stylus starts making its' way round the record as your cart stays static. I imagine it would then snap and fly across the room :doh:

I'm wondering what would happen in the event of a power cut? Could there be a sudden loss of air support while the platter continues to revolve under its own momentum? :eek:

twelvebears
04-04-2009, 08:46
On the subject of silent air-pumps, I've been searching the web to try and track down the pump that my parents used on their aquarium.

It was German, and looked like a little steam engine with two little pistons attached to each of a shaft which had a large, thin metal disc in the middle. Rather than the disc being a flywheel driven by the pistons, the disc was driven electromagnetically and moved the pistons which worked in tandem to pump the air.

Apart from looking really cool, it was completely, and I mean COMPLETELY silent, had no valves or diaphragms to wear our (the valves were the machined faces of the cylinder and case which opened and closed with the movement as the cylinders oscillated).

They bought it an my suggestion after being disappointed with various others and it must have worked flawlessly for the next 15yrs without any maintenance apart from a drop or two of machine oil every few months.

In fact I'm now wondering if it's still in the house somewhere....

If I find it, or similar on the web, I'll post pics because it's exactly what's needed here.

You'd not hid it away, you'd want it in full view, silently working....

Spectral Morn
04-04-2009, 08:56
When I had my ET2 arm I built a large surge tank which took moisture out of the air pumped and helped to smooth the flow as well. Do any of you use surge tanks...if not why?

Tank easy to build...get big bottle say one of those used for water coolers in an office. Take tube from pump and feed it to near bottom of tank (making sure you have an air tight seal. Fill tank loosely with lint free cotton. Take air tube feed to arm from top of tank...this tube should be close to the top of the tank. Thats it a surge tank which should ensure smooth flow and no damp in the air. Worked for me with the ET2 so should work well with the Terminator.

Regards D S D L

muffinman
04-04-2009, 09:29
Hi Neil
The Terminator comes with a surge tank (in the form of a gallon petrol tank). It does smooth the air flow as described but does nothing to remove the mechanical noise of the pump at source.
the pump Steve talks of sounds well worth seeking out.
I must admit I had a little chuckle about the idea of upgrading the pump (in a hifi sense that is). I imagine a search for Teflon lined air hoses would be the logical progression ;-)

Answering Jonners re: the power cut.
this issue was raised on WD around the time of the Evo. General consensus would say that you'd have a pretty good case for compensation. I'd claim, bellydat!

muffinman
09-04-2009, 15:20
On the subject of silent air-pumps, I've been searching the web to try and track down the pump that my parents used on their aquarium.

It was German, and looked like a little steam engine with two little pistons attached to each of a shaft which had a large, thin metal disc in the middle.

Here you go Steve http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail59_73984.php

Vic got in touch with those details
He also reminded me that if power is lost, the cart will merely bounce in the groove and will not explode as i thought it might

jkeny
13-04-2009, 17:19
Excellent Muffinman, thanks for the link & thank Vic for it too.
As these are out of production pumps, but from a UK manufacturer, what prices do they go for in the UK.

Here's a vid of two in operation - very quiet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdhncxI9rUA

There are other vids on youtube but the pumps are not quiet - worn bushings maybe?

Has anybody else got experience of the silence of these pumps?

Here's some other, in production pumps, based on piston operation & purported to be quiet http://www.medousa.com/en/product/default.asp?prd_ln=lpac