PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Tonearm cutout adapter SME to Mission 774/Mayware Formula IV

datawireless
14-03-2013, 18:58
Hi,

Can anybody out there point me in the direction of a source for a good-quality arm cut-out adapter please? Got a Michell Focus with SME cutout and need to fit either a Mayware Formula IV or (if I can find it), a 774 original.

I'll take a short term solution too, like SME-Linn Basik Plus or SME-774LC. Very close but not the same.

Thanks.

Rare Bird
14-03-2013, 19:34
Grrrr i thrown a plate away last week when i sold my Mayware.. a Blank SME pattern plate with 20mm hole in the centre.

datawireless
15-03-2013, 08:42
You should be ashamed of yourself.

What is a Mk.V version of the Formula IV arm? Can't find any technical references to Mk.V.

Mike

Rare Bird
15-03-2013, 12:37
Im not ashamed as it was one i made myself..I thought i had another (I'l have a look later on)..It was a Mayware Formula 4, MkIII..

datawireless
16-03-2013, 17:04
Right,

Just unpacked this tonearm and this is no Formula 4 Mk.V. It says on the arm support base that it is: Formula - V. It should also say 'Mayware' on the arm support base but it doesn't.

Quick check established that mounting hole dia. is 20mm and that there is a locking grub screw for the cursor, both Formula V features. Can't see if the arm tube is damped.

This appears to be a Formula V arm which may be a good thing. If so, I believe I can find exactly what I want for the SME 3009 Series base assembly - a bit expensive but classy. Any information on Formula V that's not in the wider circulation?

Regards,
Mike

Rare Bird
16-03-2013, 17:25
Gis a pickkie i'll tell you what it is.. I found another plate i made up as a temp measure, it's not perfect as one of the mounting holes is fractionally off, but it should put you on if you want it..

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Plate.jpg

datawireless
17-03-2013, 02:28
Thanks André,
I may just be able to use it for initial positioning. Working on a pickie of the unusual Formula IV/V Mayware.

However, as we are swapping the images, here is what I had in mind for my Focus/Mayware partnership:

Regards,
Mike

datawireless
20-03-2013, 02:29
Hi André,

Have a look at the attached link to the photos of my Mayware Formula V arm. What do you think - a genuine article? Anybody else? All comments are welcome.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=648d3066e2cb4ba9&id=648D3066E2CB4BA9%21937&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&sff=1&authkey=!AESE-bD28Mqiy8w

Could I borrow that metal baseplate you showed me earlier, for positioning trials as you suggested? Address going over in a PM.

Thanks,
Mike

Rare Bird
20-03-2013, 17:56
Deffo a Formula V.. I bought a brand new one mail order in the early 80's for about £70, i also bought the 'MC-7' cart & a 'T24' SUT... Yours looks exactly the same except that white text doesnt look right, mine had fancy Mayware text on it.The box came in a small shoebox size Silver/Black card box Polystyrene carton, with protractor, screwdriver, silver miniture toothpaste shape silicon grease with white top, white styli brush, tonearm interconnect..

What i have noticed is the grub screw in the sliding curser, mine had a clear plastic locking screw the same as what should lock off the main counterbalance weight! other than that exactly the same.. Ive had a good few Mayware uni's aswell as the Sonus jobbie..

Plate in postie tomorrow Mike.

datawireless
21-03-2013, 08:41
Thanks guys, both Paul and André, I'm now fixed up with the baseplate adapter. If we are going to be discussing the Mayware Formula V, I'll be starting a different thread, perhaps in a different Section.

Regards,
Mike