PDA

View Full Version : RIP Clive Burr

julesd68
13-03-2013, 22:10
Very sad to hear that Clive Burr has died after a long battle with MS.

Absolute powerhouse drummer who played on the first three Iron Maiden lps.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/former-iron-maiden-drummer-clive-burr-passes-away.html

He was only 56.

Wakefield Turntables
13-03-2013, 22:23
Very very sad news, I have all three albums clive worked on and I would say that they are maidens best work.

John
14-03-2013, 05:08
Sad news remember seeing Iron Maiden at the Bandwagon for 50p before they had a record deal

Wakefield Turntables
14-03-2013, 10:37
Sad news remember seeing Iron Maiden at the Bandwagon for 50p before they had a record deal

Bloody hell :doh:I wish I'd have been there.

Marco
14-03-2013, 11:28
I wonder if Clive was related to Raymond Burr, he of Ironside? Ironside - Iron Maiden, perhaps.....

Marco.

John
14-03-2013, 15:36
Bloody hell :doh:I wish I'd have been there.

It was a crowded sweaty night Those days totally male dominated with people bringing cardboard guitars along to air guitar with (honest) In the early days they had a lot to thank Neil Kay for who was DJ at the Bandwagon days. My biggest regret was not keeping the Soundhouse tapes
I also saw Bruce Dickenson when he was in Samson They were pretty crap

John
14-03-2013, 15:41
I wonder if Clive was related to Raymond Burr, he of Ironside? Ironside - Iron Maiden, perhaps.....

Marco.

Lol
More to do with medieval torture
http://www.medievality.com/maiden-nuremberg.html

Wakefield Turntables
14-03-2013, 16:10
It was a crowded sweaty night Those days totally male dominated with people bringing cardboard guitars along to air guitar with (honest) In the early days they had a lot to thank Neil Kay for who was DJ at the Bandwagon days. My biggest regret was not keeping the Soundhouse tapes
I also saw Bruce Dickenson when he was in Samson They were pretty crap

I've seen footage, probably of you:lol: and other metal heads with cardboard axes and it was all taken super seriously. ;) I'm surprised you didn't like Samson as some of the records are ok head-on isn't bad and I also like vice-versa.

John
14-03-2013, 17:33
I was more into bands like Diamond Head, UFO, Lizzy, Montrose, Y&T and Rush back in those days. Never did the cardboard guitars but used to headbang

Pete The Cat
15-03-2013, 20:12
I only have 3 Iron Maiden albums - which are the ones including Clive Burr strangely enough. I think the rhythm section was partly what made them a cut above the average NWOBHM.

Pete

PS Samson's "Before The Storm" post-Bruce Dickinson was decent IMHO.

julesd68
18-03-2013, 14:51
I've seen footage, probably of you:lol: and other metal heads with cardboard axes and it was all taken super seriously. ;)

Ahh - takes me back to my teenage years at Jilly's rock club in Manchester - don't remember any cardboard axes but the air-guitaring on the "dancefloor" was taken pretty seriously. I particularly remember riffing away to Metallica at perilously high volumes ...

julesd68
18-03-2013, 14:56
What I found astonishing about Clive Burr was not so much his great drumming, but his attitude to life. If you look at just about any photograph taken of him in recent years he has a great big smile on his face. By all acounts, he was determined to have a life beyond his illness and his attitude speaks volumes for the man. My dad never gave up against his battle with chronic debilitating illness so I feel especially moved by this.

Wakefield Turntables
18-03-2013, 16:52
Have a listen to Maiden Japan EP he does a great drum solo. I think this record above all shows what Clive could do. :cool: