PDA

View Full Version : From 5 to 2

Filterlab
21-02-2008, 15:45
Anyone dumped 5 channel to go back to 2 channel (on the AV side)?

If so did you miss the full surround?

I'm seriously considering ridding my surround side of things to give my 2 channel system more room to breath.

Vinyl Grinder
21-02-2008, 16:16
SS Sucks..Rob buy Pink Floyd's 'Final Cut' it was recorded in a kind of 3 dimensional sound stage clearly evident on the track ''Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert'' where the jet fighter passes over head, this is like surround sound with two speakers..Honestly.Listern to this in the dark pretty loud, will scare the shit out of you.

Chris Frost
21-02-2008, 18:17
SS Sucks..Bit of a sweeping statement, surely?

Granted, a bad SS mix or poorly set up SS system can suck. But couldn't the same argument be leveled at a badly produced album or poorly set up stereo system? Do we really need stereo to enjoy music when mono could do just as well? :smoking:

Rob, I'm sure you could survive quite well with your movies in stereo. I'd miss the surround effects too much, but I'd rather watch a movie listening through a decent HiFi than live with a bad surround system :)

Vinyl Grinder
21-02-2008, 19:57
Bit of a sweeping statement, surely?

Granted, a bad SS mix or poorly set up SS system can suck. But couldn't the same argument be leveled at a badly produced album or poorly set up stereo system? Do we really need stereo to enjoy music when mono could do just as well? :smoking:

Sweeping statement maybe, everyone can live without surround sound,it's nothing but falsely created sound field to excite the brain, how anyone can sit there and enjoy that as much as they could 2 channel is beyond me!! Yes we do need stereo to enjoy music.

Filterlab
21-02-2008, 20:44
...but I'd rather watch a movie listening through a decent HiFi than live with a bad surround system :)

Well this is my issue really, the surround system is competent enough but my two channel system is a little better than that. :) I enjoy surround but as Andre says a two channel set up does fill the room anyway.

Only thing is, surround is handy for gaming as I can hear enemies sneaking up behind me. ;)

Chris Frost
21-02-2008, 21:43
Sweeping statement maybe, everyone can live without surround sound,it's nothing but falsely created sound field to excite the brain, how anyone can sit there and enjoy that as much as they could 2 channel is beyond me!! Yes we do need stereo to enjoy music.
Well here's a news flash for you then - virtually all the sound you hear in a movie soundtrack is 'falsely created' - even if the movie is mono!! Oh, and another thing, most of the studio recordings you've got of bands are full of false information too, mate :lol:

We all love our music, but I'm open to the idea that there's other forms of entertainment that are equally valid. Many don't float my boat, but I don't dismiss them even if they're not my cup of tea. :smoking:

Steve Toy
21-02-2008, 21:55
Surround sound is great for movies. It adds to the fun factor. If they have it at the flicks then why not have it at home in all its glory?

We all love our music, but I'm open to the idea that there's other forms of entertainment that are equally valid. Many don't float my boat, but I don't dismiss them even if they're not my cup of tea.

Absolutely!

Lets not forget that this part of the forum is dedicated to home cinema and that means being at least open to the idea of surround sound.

Chris Frost
21-02-2008, 22:07
Only thing is, surround is handy for gaming as I can hear enemies sneaking up behind me. ;) Have you heard of surround sound headphones (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-X-Tatic-Revision-Certified-Headphones/dp/B000GIXISM/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_6)? This could be a "have your cake and eat it" solution :)

Regards

edit: added a link to some better surround headphones

Rick O
21-02-2008, 22:22
I have to say I'm really looking forward to hearing some Bluray PCM 5.1 on a decent surround sound system.

Vinyl Grinder
21-02-2008, 22:39
Well here's a news flash for you then - virtually all the sound you hear in a movie soundtrack is 'falsely created' - even if the movie is mono!! Oh, and another thing, most of the studio recordings you've got of bands are full of false information too, mate :lol:

We all love our music, but I'm open to the idea that there's other forms of entertainment that are equally valid. Many don't float my boat, but I don't dismiss them even if they're not my cup of tea. :smoking:

Chris mate:
Look i have two ears, two channels is all i need.

Chris Frost
21-02-2008, 23:00
Chris mate:
Look i have two ears, two channels is all i need.Hey, what's bugging you. I'm trying to keep things on a friendly level here. :doh:

Mike
21-02-2008, 23:16
SS Sucks..Rob buy Pink Floyd's 'Final Cut' it was recorded in a kind of 3 dimensional sound stage clearly evident on the track ''Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert'' where the jet fighter passes over head, this is like surround sound with two speakers..Honestly.Listern to this in the dark pretty loud, will scare the shit out of you.

Been there, done that!......... Think I'll go and do it again. Right now! :exactly:

Vinyl Grinder
21-02-2008, 23:33
Hey, what's bugging you. I'm trying to keep things on a friendly level here. :doh:

Stay cool Chris i know you have to be dedicated to your job ;)

Steve Toy
22-02-2008, 00:02
André, please!

Be nice! :)

Chris Frost
22-02-2008, 00:07
Stay cool Chris i know you have to be dedicated to your job ;)Eh? You think I make these comments because of my job??? Are you really that cynical? I weep for you :(

Vinyl Grinder
22-02-2008, 00:13
Eh? You think I make these comments because of my job??? Are you really that cynical? I weep for you :(

Self confessed AV nut/Owner of a custom installation company & your not dedicated!!! Something don't add up. :confused:

As i've had my order's from steve to be nice i'll leave it...

;)

Steve Toy
22-02-2008, 01:09
André, you are a nice guy so please don't pick quarrels with trade members on topics that do not even interest you. I am not liking the bad vibes here. :(

Chris Frost
22-02-2008, 01:17
Self confessed AV nut/Owner of a custom installation company & your not dedicated!!! Something don't add up. Yeah, your 'maths'

I never said I'm not dedicated, but you insult me by inferring that my comments are made for commercial reasons. How cynical and rude of you.

I know it's scary for you to take those blinkers off, but if you had, you might just have noticed that I suggested to Rob that he follows his plan to go back to 2 channel. Hardly what you would expect from a "self confessed AV nut", but then such paradoxes are possible when one is willing to keep an open mind.

As Steve has already suggested, perhaps it is better that you leave it.

Vinyl Grinder
22-02-2008, 03:41
:wah:

Filterlab
22-02-2008, 10:23
I have to say that I do really enjoy surround, and I used to be into it heavily (i.e. processor was used as a pre, three power amps (for rear and centre), front channels input went to my 2 channel power amp and I used the Logans as the mains etc etc but I dumped all the excess equipment to clear the racks (three racks full plus stuff on the floor!) and give the two channel priority.

Now since the surround is an aside and completely outperformed by the 2 channel I think I'll have an experimental week. :)

Dogruff
23-02-2008, 14:06
Is anyone else intolerant of the overbearing Bass from a lot of the SS ?
I know that at Hi-Fi exhibitions this may be exagerated to try and impress, but I dont even like it much at the cinema- It all seems larger than life.

Filterlab
23-02-2008, 14:23
I know just what you mean, and it's likely that DVD producers enhance the lower frequencies to make up the shortfall in many home cinema systems. I have to cut the bass quite extensively on the processor to produce a flat reponse.

Lowrider
25-02-2008, 12:42
SS sounds bad if it is badly setup, otherwise it sounds better than stereo with equivalent kit, and it costs more too...

Now, with open baffle speakers we get the best of bothe worlds, very "real" 3D sound, good image regardless of beeing in the ideal spot, and lower cost than SS...

Of course you still need subwoofer, but I think every "normal" speaker needs a subwoofer, read this review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bryston2/crossover.html

Conclusion:
I'm buying the Bryston 10B-Sub active crossover. It's one of the most significant things I've done for my system in terms of not only aiding the achievement of excellent deep bass quality but also in terms of alleviating the last remnants of listening fatigue. No matter what changes I'll make in the future, I'll never have to compromise here again. That makes the 10B a particularly good investment.

Adding the 10B and a subwoofer is so much more than gluttonous bass. It's about turning one's attention to some of the most important and difficult-to-reproduce frequencies in the audible spectrum. It's not just about adding slam to the bass drum; it's about adding tonality to double basses and expanding the spatial characteristics of the soundstage and improving the dynamic performance of your system - while getting more slam from your bass drums to boot. It's also about gearing your system up to explore all the bass tones and textures you're likely missing out on right now. Hell, it's also about increasing the fun factor.

Ashley James
14-03-2008, 18:00
All the signs are that 5.1 etc are being replaced by 2.1, which is the biggest growth area in audio after iPod Docks!

Even in the States large numbers are returning to 2.1 quite simply because it's a better compromise as well as sounding better. The Pro sector agrees that it's largely over too, although they felt that it could work well in a car. Car audio is bigger than Hi FI just as is pro audio.

Having been involved in the set up massive 5.1 systems in various film and Recording Studios where it might be argued that it was at its best, I can tell you that I always hated it and am delighted that it's on the way out. It works best giving the impression of being present at an event, in a cafe, a horse or car race, of just out in a field with wind and bird sound and most tiresome for battles and bloody stupid sound effects IMO.

I'm sure private cinemas, hotels etc will still use the system but for normal homes where music is as important, it's a negative.

Ash

anthonyTD
14-03-2008, 20:46
i have to agree with you on this one, every suround sound system i have heard just annoys the hell out of me,it just distracts me from what ever i am trying to watch!!! needles to say, i dont use it...