PDA

View Full Version : FireBottle MM valve Phono Chez Franky!

Frankyc2003
13-03-2013, 12:07
So there we are, FireBottle Valve Phono has safely arrived.
Very well packaged by Alan and promptly dispatched by Andy (thanks again to both), out of its box the unit is solid and functional, And surprisingly light for a valve based design… (those transformers usually weight a ton). Through the drilled top plate, I can see the reassuring Mullard yellow logo! Once the unit is powered up, the gentle orange glow starts to warm up the inside of the unit. Don’t be scared, it’s actually very well insulated I thought, compared to the MingDa unit I use, which can sometimes run fairly hot… So overall first impression is, although it’s a prototype, it’s almost marketable as it is now I feel.

So now, onto the actual way the unit sounds in my system.
I use a Ariand 845SET integrated, a pair of Triangle Antal ES with the addition of some Brooks Supertweeters to pick up any frequencies above 20kHz… Cabling is Tellurium Q Black for speakers duty. I use a Lundhal based SUT with Rothwell cabling from the SUT to Phono and silver litz IC from the Phono to Integrated. A very clean and open sounding system.

So, knowing that valves do take a little bit of warming up, I powered up the unit and left it on for 30-35 minutes just to get in the mood!

First thing that struck me was the inky black silence that followed… Not a hint of tube rush or any popping and hum… Black silence! That’s a great start!

On small disclaimer, I am not doing a comprehensive listening session here, this is just a very random collection of first impressions.

So first LP was Marianne Faithfull, Strange Weather (1987). OK, now I have to be really honest, I was blown away… The depth of the bass, the presence of the lead guitar, I could almost sense the strings sliding on the fret… Bloomin’ luverly! Marianne’s raspy voice was nicely textured and she felt ‘here’!

Onto Eric Dolphy’s Conversations (1963). As the unit gets warmer and more comfortable, the next thing that surprised me was the soundstage extension that I was getting. All instruments on ‘Jitterburg Waltz’ felt that they existed way beyond my speakers. The double bass had a real slap to it. Xylophone, trumpet were clearly delineated on the soundstage with plenty of air around them to breath. All this being the trademark of a great valve design. Great resolution of the midband and higher registers. One final thing on this track, the height of each instruments felt right according to scale. That is a difficult thing to achieve I feel, as the soundstage is usually measured in width not height…

Now a little bit of late 80’s pop. Tanita Tikaram, Twisting my Sobriety. Knowing that this track has been produced quite flatly, the FireBottle Phono resolved the orchestration with space and depth no problem, making a really enjoyable listen.

Next up was Larry Graham and Graham Central Station, Raise Up (2013). The first track on the first LP, is a wonderful drum session. And energy, punch and dynamics were there by bucket loads… The bass was clear, full of definition and kick.
Mid point to my informal listening session, I was delighted by what I was hearing, considering that my MingDa unit was heading for the thrift shop! But, hold on, hold on…

TO BE CONTINUED
:ner:

Firebottle
13-03-2013, 13:02
OK, now I have to be really honest, I was blown away…

OOOOOOOOh, this is sounding really good :rave:

This is what I was after, testing the unit with a much better source than I've got:)
Cheers, Alan

Frankyc2003
15-03-2013, 21:28
Ok, good evening everyone,
It is now time to revisit the FireBottle phono.

Lets catch up where we left last time...

:eek::stalks::eyebrows:

Basically pretty impressed by the design!
Great soundstage, fantastic bass impact, etc...

So I decided last time to get some tougher tracks...

Starting with Peter Gabriel, So. Red Rain first came up. My copy is always a bit muddled on this track, even my Tom Evans unit was struggling to get to separate the multi-layered instrumentation. The bass had this time some solid punch, with a solid soundstage, but somehow it failed to totally involve me this time round. Not a biggy though...

Next up, something completely different.
Stauss's Der Rosenkavalier, directed by Karajan in 1958, a very early attempt at stereo, but an incredibly alive performance. From the first few bars, the Firebottle starts to shine, with again a fantastic 'I'am here' kind of feel. You can hear and feel Schwartzkopf walking from left to right in the studio... Wonderful... The treble is very present and is sometimes a little overbearing, but the amazing soundstage makes up for it!

Now onto some more classical works by Schubert and some of his sonatas played by A. Brendel in the 70's for Philips. Straight form the box, the atmosphere and the ambiance of the recording studio is stunning, the piano has a real warmth to it, but more importantly the fluidity with which the unit renders the music is intoxicating. Especially on this recording, which could be very grey if not fed to the proper hardware... What a treat!

Thanks again to FireBottle for creating such a little wonder!
I feel that the weekend will be filled with Music...

Firebottle
16-03-2013, 07:21
How are your feelings when comparing to the Ming Da Francois?

Have an enjoyable week-end :cheers:

Frankyc2003
16-03-2013, 09:53
Hi Alan.
I have planned a side by side comparison of the units this weekend...
Watch this space!
;)

Firebottle
22-03-2013, 15:57
Hi Francois, you are saying the Preamp is with John, so where is your review?

I'm waiting with baited breath :)

:cool: Alan (on the Jenlain beer again, it's my favourite)

Frankyc2003
22-03-2013, 16:59
Aha!
Jenlain brings me back years ago!
:cool:

John has the phono now...
And my review will be posted this weekend!

;)

Frankyc2003
22-03-2013, 21:35
Ok, Ok,

Now that the Firebottle has left my system, and that the MingDa MC2006 has been reinstated, it is time to draw some conclusions on the Firebottle and the MingDa.

First impression are always the most revealing. And as you saw form the onset the Firebottle was amazing, the bass especially was a feature that really stuck with me, definitely outdoing the MingDa in this respect.

Then Space and width of soundstage. There again it felt pretty impressive from the word go. The real characteristic for me would be that ability the Firebottle has to display sounds and instruments at convincing heights in the soundstage. Again something the MingDa couldn't quite do.

Musical flow was pretty stunning too, giving a real joy and energy to the music. Here it scored on the par with the MingDa which is pretty damn good at getting you boogieing!

Then after listening to the MingDa again after having left it alone for a while, something became apparent, and that is in all honesty probably just an illusion, but when I switched back to the MingDa, on the high frequencies, it flet like a veil had been lifted. Don't get me wrong,the firebottle was superb and there wasn't a way of telling that a slight softness was applied to the midband and higer registers. But as soon as the MingDa was back on, voices, guitars, pianos felt a smidgen lighter...

So all in all, we have here a fantastic unit which in bright system will perform very well, giving plenty of depth to its kick and a beautiful smooth midband, allowing the listener to enjoy for hours and hours his music collection without any fatigue.
If you are after a surgically detailed sound, maybe the unit isn't for you. Something like a Whest or a Tom Evans might be better. But again these units are all Solid State!

So I would give the unit a 8 out of 10.
Thanks again to Alan for building it, and making available to all of us!!!

Firebottle
24-03-2013, 06:48
:hmm::respect: to you Francois.

A very good review, and one I am very happy with.
The slight veiling at the top end I am sure is down to the use of the pentode input stage.
Nice to know it boogies :)

:cool:Alan

PS I've been thinking about it and there was bound to be a difference, however small. It's given me an idea, use the pentode as the 2nd stage :hmm:

John
29-03-2013, 18:51
Well I just got back from a listen to Firebottle phonostage I was very impressed with it. The phonostage has a lovely mid.
Set up Salvation with Acutex 315STR cartridge slagle volume control with Bantam gold board, it was up against the Nighthawk which is a known giant killer
I could easily live with either phonostage no clear winner The only criticism I could place on it was that sometimes I did not pick up on some AL DImeola picking on Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway but I being ultra critical. It really excelled in the mid and managed to capture the Tenor sax on Miles Davis Flamenco Sketches really well. The bass was really good and was hard to spot any differences between the two phonostages in this area, perhaps the Nighthawk had slightly the edge here.
I think the biggest surprise was the lack of noise and hum, the phonostage was put very close to the cartridge and no hum what so ever. My EAR would not be able to do that.
I would be very happy to own the phonostage I think you done a very good job Alan
I might make some more comments over the weekend