PDA

View Full Version : My CDX is very sick

Peter Stockwell
01-04-2009, 17:47
I don't know where the blame lies for this but it was double or triple Bombayed by UPS and now the mech does not function.

I'm an unhappy camper.

Marco
01-04-2009, 18:21
Sorry to hear that, mate!

Was the carriage insured up to the value of the CDX, Peter?

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
02-04-2009, 06:34
Insurance for £2000. I have to take the packing and the machine back to UPS for inspection. Mech makes a whirring noise, the naim logo lights up, but I'm not sure about the display.

Time will tell.

Marco
02-04-2009, 06:43
Bloody couriers - their carelessness makes my blood boil! :steam:

I hope you get the situation sorted out to your satisfaction. Keep us posted.

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
02-04-2009, 07:10
Yes me too, the SB3 does not seem as satisfactory as the Airport express was, and I'm not having enough time for LP listening at the moment.

Haselsh1
02-04-2009, 07:51
Mmm... The Audiolab amps I've just bought came via Parcel Farce so I'm hanging on hoping that they are OK for a period of time. I don't know just how long one has before it's too late to put in a claim but the amps fired up with no crackling noises or bangs. Time will tell I guess.

Peter Stockwell
02-04-2009, 07:52
If it works after shipment, it should continue to work.

Haselsh1
02-04-2009, 08:13
Thank you for that. It is always a nerve wracking time though. I do sympathise.

Spectral Morn
02-04-2009, 09:38
Worst I ever saw was many years ago. A day before a hi-fi show. Items from Townsend acoustics were sent by carrier. The carrier arrived with the Sir Gallahad speakers we lifted one of the back of the high van/lorry...took it into the shop and went out for the other. The van was gone he had dropped them of the back of the vehicle. The speaker sat in a puddle of tar. The aluminum skin of the speaker had split and the damping tar had leaked out.....RUINED. No speakers at the show Max was mad we were gutted and the carrier didn't give a flying ---- (fill in the blank to your taste).

I also once had to deal with a furious carrier who had arrived at the shop with a pile of Yamaha products half of the boxes were wrecked. When I refused to sign for them he demanded to know why. "Look at those boxes. Do you think the fragile electronics inside are okay?" There was a stand of....sign for the goods....NO. He rang his boss. The goods were finally taken away. Every time he came I made him stand while I examined every MM of the items he had brought....I suspect he hated me...:smoking: He and his colleagues should do there job right though.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
03-04-2009, 19:03
i had to send a sub back to monitor audio for a customer once, packed it well wrote fragile all over it. they must have literally thrown it as when we got it back from monitor saying it was to damaged to fix the entire box was split open the sub case it was in was completely caved in! the couriors had the gall to blamed monitor. we had to give the customer a new sub

DSJR
03-04-2009, 19:19
The worst thing I ever saw was a then eighteen month old Philips TV collected for service by their own couriers back in 1973 at the request of Philips. This model was a valve/transistor hybrid and was very good at the time. We sent it back properly packed, it arrived intact at its destination and was duly repaired. We received back a crushed box with bits of polystyrene falling out. the TV cabinet was smashed, the tube had imploded and the motherboard was badly cracked, writing off the set.

For all my sins, I'm now lumbered with a large quantity of chiming clocks.. Most were bought on that famous auction site.

I remember receiving a cheap but much loved model of a Smiths striker (Hamilton, if anyone's interested). It came wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and in a snug fitting thin cardboard box with noproblem at all!

A Garrard triple chimer I sent to a good horologist for a re-build (yes folks, an offshoot of Garrard made clocks too, built like brick out-houses and prone to wear as they ran and ran and ran and ran - and the oil dried out..........) was double bubbled and double boxed too. It still came back with a smashed glass. Fortunately, the replacement platform balance escapement newly fitted to the clock survived intact (I have the original too) and it keeps excellent time (around 15 to 20 seconds per week).

Regarding the CDS, carefully remove the case and check the transport mounts and, if it's a CDM9 unit (can't remember), check it hasn't come apart. It may be worth a call to Les at Avondale, as he can work magic on *some* Naim CD players and by gum, the CDX needs it if it's not to sound harsh toned.... I love CD, but not harsh sounding ones....:)

Peter Stockwell
04-04-2009, 02:02
The UPS people have opened an incident and are coming to inspect monday. it's worth £800 these days, but I had a £1000 mods done by audiocom :(

Steve Toy
04-04-2009, 02:51
The value is surely what you insured it for. It ceases to be a standard CDX so they couldn't classify it as such.

Peter Stockwell
04-04-2009, 15:30
That's my view, but who knows how hard I have to fight to get the insured value. I certainly had to struggle to get it delivered, so much so, that I had to get it from the UPS depot myself.

Peter Stockwell
05-04-2009, 08:19
I was wondering if UPS was just executing the universe's mysterious ways. Maybe I should be foregetting "direct" CD playback. The SB Classic does a good job, not up to the CDX/XPS level, but can be breathed on to sound better...

Steve Toy
05-04-2009, 11:05
peter, you have just dropped a grand on that player for your courier just to drop it. It will sound a lot better than your computer source.

Peter Stockwell
06-04-2009, 06:35
Steve,

I mooted the "do we really need a CD player" question with Evelyne, she looked at me like I was crazy. The Naim logo comes on when I plug it in and the Drive looks for a disc without stopping. It needs a new drive at least. If I take it to a Naim dealer they're likely to rip out all Mark put in.

I'll know more tonight.

leo
06-04-2009, 09:57
Is it just the transport mech thats damaged? is the main pcb's etc ok?

Naim would more than likely rip any mods out and boost up the repair costs.
Surely some other non Naim repair place can give you a quote for repair without touching the mods and the insurance covers the costs?
Its got to be cheaper than writing the thing off, if they was to cover costs for a new unit would you have to send the damaged one to the insurance? if not other alternative would be get a replacement and have the mods, pcb containing mods transferred to the new unit

Marco
06-04-2009, 10:17
Good advice, Leo :)

Just to clear things up, Peter - the CDX was en-route from where exactly when it was damaged?

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
06-04-2009, 10:58
The unit was en-route from Audiocom to me, but there were various problems with the waybill, and the fact that I'm never home when UPS deliver. UPS had the package out 5 or 6 time for delivery.

I belive that if goes anywhere a Naim service centre the mods will be ripped out. Audiocom has proposed an independent service centre in the UK, but that means two courrier trips.

Anyway I should know what UPS propose tonight.

Peter Stockwell
06-04-2009, 17:34
Bloody UPS! They say they came at 17h30, they didn't ring the bell so I had no idea. I don't believe they did. Now they say they'll come friday morning? I'm sick of this.

They are just not geared to making deliveries to people who have to go to work during the day.

Peter Stockwell
17-04-2009, 13:16
My CDX is in Swansea (and still sick).

StanleyB
17-04-2009, 13:25
The worst thing I ever saw was a then eighteen month old Philips TV collected for service by their own couriers back in 1973 at the request of Philips. This model was a valve/transistor hybrid and was very good at the time.
If it was a hybrid, it might not have been 1973.

Peter Stockwell
11-05-2009, 08:38
Well, I still haven't got my CDX back, but at least it's not sick anymore. Apparently there was a chip loose from a socket and this caused the transport and the display to mal (not) function.

On the other hand, I don't know where it is. Whilst I was on holiday in the UK I asked to have it shipped to my holiday accommodation, unfortunately it arrived too late for me to bring home with me.

DSJR
12-05-2009, 16:22
If it was a hybrid, it might not have been 1973.

You're quite right. 'Twas about eighteen months to two years old at the time and Philips in Croydon wanted it back for some reason (we had a very good service dept for most things). The current models for '73 were fully solid state and fitted beneath the Sony's (just launching the 18" and 22" model), the ITT's and the superb but very short lived (they severely over-ran them) B&O 3400 series...