PDA

View Full Version : London newbie

TobesEtc
12-03-2013, 07:41
Hi, having been "in to" hifi all my life, but never to an audiophile level, I've recently rediscovered vinyl. For some reason I thought a turntable would be cool, so picked up an SL-1210MK2 on eBay for a reasonable price. Had it serviced, cleaned and the DJ-focused service guy added a Stanton 505v3. That was December '12. For some reason that completely reinvigorated my whole hifi bug.

Since then I found a brand new Yamaha CD-S2000 at an absolute bargain price, so bought it. Then a Roksan Kandy K2 int amp (less bargain, but did trade in old amp).

These are paired with my B&W 685 speakers and my online stuff is fed from a Logitech Squeezebox Duet through a CA Dacmagic 3.

I'm now discovering all sorts of music I've either known and loved or never heard before. From The Beatles and 80's electro-pop of my youth through to jazz that I'm learning about four the first time. Even find myself listening to classical music...

Saw this site when I was researching a new cartridge and headshell for the Technics (i could hear a few groans at the Stanton!).

The Grand Wazoo
12-03-2013, 07:57
Hi Toby, thanks for a great introduction, and we all love to hear about people's (re)discovery of music and great sound.
Welcome to AoS.

John
12-03-2013, 08:33
Great intro Toby
Welcome to AOS

mido
12-03-2013, 08:51
Welcome Toby!!

from a fellow Londoner, music lover and Technics owner (for now at least :lol:)

seoirse2002
12-03-2013, 10:24
Welcome Toby,
It was this very place that opened up and reignited my interest,and also introduced me to music I'd never listened to.You're in the right place to broaden your knowledge and views.The mind is like a parachute....it only works when its open. Enjoy:cool:

Thing Fish
12-03-2013, 13:00
Welcome Toby from another Londoner...:wave:

Tarzan
12-03-2013, 17:56
Hi, having been "in to" hifi all my life, but never to an audiophile level, I've recently rediscovered vinyl. For some reason I thought a turntable would be cool, so picked up an SL-1210MK2 on eBay for a reasonable price. Had it serviced, cleaned and the DJ-focused service guy added a Stanton 505v3. That was December '12. For some reason that completely reinvigorated my whole hifi bug.

Since then I found a brand new Yamaha CD-S2000 at an absolute bargain price, so bought it. Then a Roksan Kandy K2 int amp (less bargain, but did trade in old amp).

These are paired with my B&W 685 speakers and my online stuff is fed from a Logitech Squeezebox Duet through a CA Dacmagic 3.

I'm now discovering all sorts of music I've either known and loved or never heard before. From The Beatles and 80's electro-pop of my youth through to jazz that I'm learning about four the first time. Even find myself listening to classical music...

Saw this site when I was researching a new cartridge and headshell for the Technics (i could hear a few groans at the Stanton!).

Welcome Toby, no groans here from me regarding the Stanton, l have three of 'em, mounted on an SL1200 sort of reignited my love for music and vinyl,very musical and fun cart.:)