PDA

View Full Version : Speaker advice

Munchies
11-03-2013, 13:52
Hello all,

I need some advice on which way to go on getting some better speakers :scratch:
Current setup is an icon audio 30wpc valve amp, sl1200 record deck as my main source and a rather small room of 10ftx10ftx8.5ftH.

I,ve used a pair of medium sized stand mount infinty kappa 5 for a few months, with nice ribbon tweeters & 6" or so mid/bass but there arnt very sensitive at around 87db and dont really have enough bass for me at high levels so i gave them back to my mum :)

I,m now using some big 1m high floorstanding mission 735 from the mid 90s that i brought second hand 10 years ago but there just to bright and no sound stage unless there out in the open and the room is to small for that but they are plenty load enough at 90db sensitivity.

From reading through past posts and my own experiance with past speakers it would seem i need something that has atleast 90db sensitivity and has good acoustic dampening to suit the vavle amp and i only sit 6-7ft away from the speakers so good intergration is needed :scratch:

What should i try listening too ?
Audio notes up aginst the wall/corners or is the room to small ?
Tannoy DC speakers of some sort ?
Secondhand speaker budget upto 1k for something smooth sounding but detailed too.

I would really appreciate it if i could get some opinions on what direction to go for my next speakers.

Sam.

The Grand Wazoo
11-03-2013, 14:04
Your assumption about needing something of min. 90dB sensitivity is a bit pessimistic really. I'm using a 22 wpc Radford right now in an 18 x 12-16 ft room and my Mirage speakers are of 83dB and I like to listen at good volumes. My Levinson amps will go much louder with no problems, but this combination is fine.

Rare Bird
11-03-2013, 14:09
Aye
Well i use a 13 Watt amp with 90dB speakers, although that maywell be a perfect thing i find the speakers are actually too efficient for the small room im in..i cannot reach 9 0'clock setting without it being too loud.

Munchies
11-03-2013, 14:31
Your assumption about needing something of min. 90dB sensitivity is a bit pessimistic really. I'm using a 22 wpc Radford right now in an 18 x 12-16 ft room and my Mirage speakers are of 83dB and I like to listen at good volumes. My Levinson amps will go much louder with no problems, but this combination is fine.

Aye
Well i use a 13 Watt amp with 90dB speakers, although that maywell be a perfect thing i find the speakers are actually too efficient for the small room im in..i cannot reach 9 0'clock setting without it being too loud.

Ye your both right, that post was abit rushed tbh :)
I just felt that my current mission speakers at 90db sensitivity seem about right for me for those days when i like it loud for 5 mins.
I did try a 15wpc SET amp with both these speakers (87db & 90db) about a year ago and it just wasnt loud enough for me for those days when i just wanted to play it louder.

Sam.

Haselsh1
11-03-2013, 17:14
I use a 15Wpc Icon Audio amp and just bought KEF Q500's with the most awesome imaging. These are around 87db/W/m and sound just fine in my room. The amp uses Gold Lion valves which did quieten it down just a tad.

My amplifier is frequently on the 'ten to' or 'five to' position.

trane
11-03-2013, 17:29
Sam,
if you want 'serious' speakers and have the dough go for Harbeth's P-3ES(R) speakers, they will work wonders in your room and set-up.
the AN-K/Sp in the ads section is a firm bet, too, as said there.
if, however, you are content with 'lesser' speakers, the Rega Ela (all versions, though personally the Mk2 preferred the most) or the Royd Minstrel or Doublet will surely amaze you, as well.
good luck, mate :)

chelsea
11-03-2013, 17:38
AN's in the ads.

Reffc
11-03-2013, 17:49
Snell J's

Munchies
11-03-2013, 22:52
Thank you all for your input, i,ll let you know how i get on :)

Sam.