PDA

View Full Version : Which Hard Wearing Floor Varnish

RobbieGong
10-03-2013, 20:34
We've recently had our floors re-done and the floor looks nice. Only problem is everything that drops on it leaves a mark / dent which doing my wifes head in causing a lot of anxiety. We forst had the floors done about 12 years ago and they guy then used Rustins Plastic coating whic hwas very hard wearing. I think the last job has a very basic varnish finish hench every thing dents the pine. I'm thinking of taking everything up off the floor and going over it myself which I really didn't want to do again :steam:
I belioeve Ronseal Diamond Hard is meant to be tough and easy to use but I'd really appreciate some advise and recommendations - Basically tough and hard wearing are key requirements - Cheers :rolleyes:

Thing Fish
10-03-2013, 21:02
Hi robert, I used Rustins on my hall floor but also looked at the Ronseal stuff. I think the key is how many coats you intend giving your floor, the more the better in my book.

I seem to remember I gave mine at least 7 coats with a good few hours drying time inbetween each one and it's stood up pretty well. I think you'll agree the hall gets the most footfall.

Although at the end of the day it's still wood and will dent if struck hard enough...:(

Hope that helps...:)

Rare Bird
10-03-2013, 21:35
Sikken 'Cetol' fan here

Canetoad
14-03-2013, 14:34
If you want something really tough take a look at marine varnishes. :eyebrows:

SPS
14-03-2013, 14:44
Osmo polyx oil is on my oak stairs, best thing I've ever put on wood, lets it breath and is water repellant, the boss even uses the rails to hang/dry the washing, no issues in the last8 years..

chelsea
14-03-2013, 15:12
We use Diamond Glaze for student properties,matt not gloss.

Theotherlarryb
20-03-2013, 20:50
For a horrible second there I thought this thread was going to debate which floor varnish sounded best :lol:

Thing Fish
20-03-2013, 20:51
For a horrible second there I thought this thread was going to debate which floor varnish sounded best :lol:

Funny you mention that...

Stratmangler
20-03-2013, 23:50
Jaco Pastorious used Petit's Poly 'Poxy on the fingerboard of his defretted Fender Jazz Bass - might be worth looking at, as it's a yacht varnish :)