PDA

View Full Version : Colin Blunstone...

Haselsh1
31-03-2009, 16:10
THE GHOST OF YOU AND ME
COLIN BLUNSTONE

Anyone of a certain age is sure to remember Colin Blunstone and the Zombies. I heard the title track from this album on the radio a couple of days ago and thought I would give it a try. It’s OK. Is that all…? Yes, that’s all.

All of the instrumentation sounds as though it has emerged from an 80’s album by Yes with the classic vocals sounding reminiscent of the 70’s. There are copious amounts of Korg M1 and it’s breathy sounds and some very Tina Turner sounding Jackson guitar. If I had to draw a definite similarity I would say that this is very John Parr and St. Elmo’s Fire.

There are ten tracks on this album with not one remarkable stand out song included. Everything is incredibly middle of the road and incredibly average but then I have only listened once as it arrived this lunchtime. A bonus point is that the vocals have been recorded with a good helping of modern digital reverb, which should sound awesome through a good valve amp capable of reproducing these things supremely well. The voice is stunning but then we know his voice is stunning anyway. The overall sound displays incredible maturity with none of today’s massively compressed awfulness and shouty aggressive nonsense. It is a very classy sound indeed.

Did I waste my money…??? No. I find it hard to waste money on something as gorgeous as a voice of this calibre. If only the songs were as good…

Haselsh1
31-03-2009, 16:13
Tomorrow I should get a pair of Audiolab 8000M's through the post. Maybe it'll sound better then...???

Puffin
31-03-2009, 20:29
Best thing he ever did was a track called "Touch"